PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Royals -Minor News-

SportFan4Life
01-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Here's a thread where minor news can be posted here. Things like injury updates, minor league deals, anything not derserving its own thread can be all gathered here for everyone to see. You could also use this thread to talk about certain things regarding the Reds.

SportFan4Life
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Royals designated infielder Jason Smith for assignment.

The move makes room for Miguel Olivo. We thought there was a good chance Smith would be non-tendered last month, but he was retained then and signed to a one-year deal on Dec. 12. Of course, that was before the Royals picked up Alberto Callaspo. If Smith clears waivers, he'll probably opt to stick around and battle for a job. He might be picked up by a team looking for a reserve shortstop with pop. Not that he'd fill Miguel Tejada's shoes, but he'd be a better option than anyone the Orioles currently have.

Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I recently named the Kansas City Star's Bob Dutton as Rumor Royalty for the Royals. He was kind enough to answer a few questions for the site.

MLBTR: It seems pretty clear the Royals are going to sign a veteran starter. They've been linked to Bartolo Colon, Jon Lieber, Kris Benson, and others who have signed elsewhere. Who do you see as the best fit for this team?

Dutton: The guy they really wanted was Hiroki Kuroda, and I'm pretty sure they tendered the top bid before he signed with the Dodgers. They liked Carlos Silva but not at his asking price. That leaves, primarily, guys who are trying to recover from major injuries. In short, guys who really aren't good fits for anyone.

Even so, I think the Royals will continue to try to sign one. I believe Colon is their top choice, but he's asking for $8-9 million and is looking for a multi-year deal. I think he's kidding himself. Maybe someone will bite, but I'll be real surprised if the Royals do.

The Royals are like most every other team looking at these guys: they're willing to build in lots of performance bonuses, but they'll want to protect them by insisting on a low guarantee. What they can offer that others can't, they believe, is the likelihood of greater patience.

These guys all need to pitch to rebuild their careers, and they're likely to have some rough stretches. The Royals would probably be willing to stick with them longer than most other clubs. They also play in a fairly big ballpark, which is forgiving to fly-ball pitchers, and have pretty good infield defense to benefit ground-ball pitchers.

Source: MLB Trade Rumors

SportFan4Life
01-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Hideo Nomo, the 1995 National League Rookie of the Year, announced on his personal, Japanese-language Web site that he has agreed to terms on a minor-league deal with Kansas City that includes an invitation to big-league spring training according to the Kansas City Star.

Part of his announcement, translated, reads: "I try to keep myself in good shape and do my best."

Nomo, 39, was the first Japanese player to make a major impact in the major leagues when he won 43 games his first three seasons with the Dodgers, including a no-hitter at Coors Field in 1996. He won 45 more during 2001-03 with the Red Sox and Dodgers but then fell off fast after shoulder surgery. He last pitched in the big leagues in 2005 for the Devil Rays....

Continued... (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/430041.html)

SportFan4Life
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
The Kansas City Star reports that the Royals and Luke Hudson have avoided salary arbitration by agreeing to terms on a one-year contract worth around $500,000.

Hudson earned $422,000 last season, but made just one start before undergoing shoulder surgery in June. "When he's healthy, he's got some pretty dynamic stuff," general manager Dayton Moore said. "The quality of his pitches is very good. We're counting on him coming in here and competing for a job."

Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Royals sent infielder Jason Smith outright to Triple-A Omaha.

No team claimed him off waivers. Smith will probably accept the assignment in order to collect on the one-year contract he agreed to last month.

Source: Rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Royals signed RHP Brian Lawrence to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

It's very hard to imagine Lawrence's 81-mph fastball leading to any success in the American League. The former Padre missed 2007 following shoulder surgery and gave up 22 runs in 29 innings for the Mets last season.

rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Royals manager Trey Hillman said he's still looking at a top of the lineup of David DeJesus, Mark Grudzielanek, Mark Teahen and Jose Guillen.

When Hillman first talked about the lineup, he had DeJesus leading off, Guillen hitting cleanup and Alex Gordon batting seventh. Most of the rest of the spots were easy to fill in from there. All that's left to be seen is who will bat fifth and sixth. Billy Butler will occupy one of the two spots. As things stand now, it looks like Teahen will play left field, leaving Ross Gload and Ryan Shealy to battle it out for the first-base job. If there are times when Joey Gathright starts in left and Teahen plays first, then Gordon could move up to sixth.

SportFan4Life
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Royals designated RHP Brandon Duckworth for assignment.

The move was done to make room for Brett Tomko. Duckworth will likely accept the assignment if he clears waivers and compete for a job in spring training.

Liney3506
01-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Utility player Esteban German agreed to a one-year contract for 2008 with the Royals, the club announced on Tuesday.

The deal allows German to avoid a salary arbitration hearing. He asked for $1.2 million and the Royals offered $837,500. Terms were not disclosed, but the two sides often settle for a figure near the midpoint which, in German's case, was $1,018,750.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080129&content_id=2359494&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

SportFan4Life
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Royals general manager Dayton Moore said Tuesday that he still believes Ryan Shealy "can be a valuable part of this team."

"Last year you can just throw out," Moore said. "He had the hamstring problems, the broken bone in his foot. He was never himself. You can't make any judgments off that season." Shealy is competing with Ross Gload and Billy Butler for playing time between first base and designated hitter.

NYMetros
02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Not really news, just a good article to read.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/483153.html

Liney3506
02-10-2008, 10:28 PM
The Royals signed Zack Greinke and Mark Teahen to one-year contracts on Thursday. Greinke will make $1.4 million with bonuses for innings pitched. Basically, he has to stay in the starting rotation and if he throws 215 innings, he’ll get an extra $125,000. Teahen gets $2.37 million. Both players filed for arbitration and both contracts are almost exactly at the midpoint of the numbers exchanged between the team and the player.
http://mvn.com/mlb-royals/2008/02/08/mario-lisson-and-friday-links/

Liney3506
02-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Closer Joakim Soria and shortstop Tony Pena Jr. were among seven Kansas City Royals to sign one-year contracts Wednesday.

Also signing were righthanders Ryan Braun, Kyle Davies, Leo Nunez, Joel Peralta and Carlos Rosa.

The 23-year-old Soria, a Mexican righthander, went 2-3 with a 2.48 ERA and 17 saves as a rookie last season after replacing the injured Octavio Dotel as Kansas City's closer.

Pena, 26, batted .267 with two home runs and 47 RBI in 152 games for Kansas City in 2007, his first full season in the majors.
http://nationalpost.pa-sportsticker.com/default.aspx?s=mlb-news-display&nid=A16364391203525809A

PhillyLuver
03-28-2008, 08:49 AM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080327&content_id=2461522&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc
good news, saves us from german for 15 games if lifted

RoyalsYear2008
03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I think after many seasons of searching, we have found our closer in Joakim Soria

MetsFan28
03-30-2008, 01:57 AM
I think after many seasons of searching, we have found our closer in Joakim Soria

I like Soria. I think he will do well in KC.

SportFan4Life
04-05-2008, 05:00 PM
April 5th

Royals purchased the contract of RHP Hideo Nomo from Advanced Rookie level Idaho Falls.

In their defense, the Royals couldn't call up Joel Peralta yet. Still, Nomo should have been well down on the list of possible callups. He just doesn't have enough left on his fastball to succeed in the majors. He probably won't last long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Royals optioned catcher Matt Tupman to Triple-A Omaha.

Tupman didn't get into any of the four games while Miguel Olivo was suspended.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Miguel Olivo finished serving his four-game suspension on Friday.

Olivo's return will result in Matt Tupman's demotion. The Royals will recall a pitcher, but not Joel Peralta. Unless someone goes on the disabled list, Peralta will be ineligible to return until Tuesday.

MetsFan28
04-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Tupman did absolutley nothing Lol.

TheRedMarauder
04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
David DeJesus (ankle) said Tuesday that he's hoping to return before the end of the Royals' homestand Sunday.

DeJesus has already missed six straight games, with Joey Gathright starting in his place and swiping enough bases to be a big fantasy factor. "It's getting better," DeJesus said.

rotoworld

MaysBonds2425
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Good...Joey is swiping those bags but he has to get on base more...he'll be a good asset of the bench when DeJesus comes back

InsaneSports_07
04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
DeJesus returns to Royals lineup
After missing 11 games with ankle injury, center fielder back

SEATTLE -- On the bulletin board in the Safeco Field visitors' clubhouse, the hand-printed lineup had him back at the top: "DeJESUS CF."
After missing most of Opening Day and the next 11 games with an ankle injury, David DeJesus returned to active duty for the Royals on Monday night against the Seattle Mariners.

"It's amazing to be back and we're going to get goin'," DeJesus said.

The chronology has been repeated often: He twisted his left ankle getting out of the batter's box on March 24 in Spring Training. He started in the opener on March 30 at Detroit and aggravated the injury as he turned to chase Carlos Guillen's double in the second inning.

DeJesus had not played since.

"You've got to make it right, you can't force things," he said. "So once it's right, we're back in biz."

When the Royals came off the road, DeJesus missed the entire homestand against the New York Yankees and the Minnesota Twins.

"The weather in KC didn't help at all," he said. "With the rain early in the week, you couldn't really get a good feel because you couldn't get on the field."

Despite frigid weather last weekend, DeJesus got on the field to test the ankle.

"I feel confident in my cuts and stuff like that now, and we're going to get goin'," he said.

DeJesus acknowledged he might have rushed back into the lineup after the injury in Arizona.

"There's a possibility of that," he said. "It might not have been ready, but I felt good enough to go Opening Day. It was one of those things and I didn't want to do it again, so this time we made sure."

Now there's another test: Did he lose any timing at the plate during his 13 days of being idle?

"We'll see, right?" he said. "I'll try and see as many pitches as I can and work the count."

Article by Dick Kaegel: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080414&content_id=2528040&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

TheRedMarauder
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
John Bale (arm) threw a bullpen session Tuesday, but manager Trey Hillman indicated afterward that he's unlikely to return from the disabled list when eligible Thursday.

Hillman also hinted that Bale could be moved back to the bullpen once he returns, meaning that his time in the rotation will have lasted all of three starts.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
According to the Kansas City Star, Yasuhiko Yabuta's spot in the bullpen could be in jeopardy once John Bale (shoulder) returns from the disabled list.

Yabuta has been awful thus far, but the Royals handed him a two-year deal worth $6 million this winter and had hoped he could be a late-inning setup man after plenty of success in Japan. Bale isn't likely to return before next week, at the earliest.

rotoworld

InsaneSports_07
05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
The only player hitting above .300 on the roster is Grudzielanek, hitting .319. The Royals need to start hitting.

TheRedMarauder
06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
According to the Kansas City Star, because of his no-trade clause Gil Meche "just laughs at those rumors circulating regarding a possible trade sending him to the Chicago Cubs."

The rumor in question was started by Peter Gammons of ESPN. "How's that going to happen?" Meche said. Meche indicated that he hasn't been asked to waive his no-trade clause and isn't interested in doing so.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Leo Nunez (lat strain) and John Bale (hand) played catch from a distance of 45 feet Friday.

They each made about 20 throws. Nunez has been out sine May 27, while Bale's last appearance was April 15. Both are still a couple of weeks away from returning to the bigs.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Manager Trey Hillman said Sunday that the Royals are hoping to get both John Bale (hand) and Leo Nunez (ribs) back "right before or right after the All-Star break."

Bale has been out since breaking his left hand after punching a door in mid-April, while Nunez has been sidelined since late May with a strained lat muscle.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Royals optioned RHP Carlos Rosa to Triple-A Omaha.

A bizarre way to handle one of the club's top prospects. Rosa allowed one run in 3 1/3 innings of relief during his 10 days with the Royals.

Royals purchased the contract of LHP Horacio Ramirez from Triple-A Omaha.

Ramirez had a 1.42 ERA in three starts for Triple-A Omaha, but the Royals will use him as a middle reliever. It's doubtful that he'll prove to be an asset.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Mark Grudzielanek was sidelined for a second straight game on Monday due to irritation in his lower back.

He has a history of back issues, and the Kansas City Star reports that he could be out until Friday's game against the Cardinals. Mike Aviles will start at third with Tony Pena at short in the meantime.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Royals transferred LHP John Bale to the 60-day disabled list.

Bale has been out since mid-April, initially due to arm fatigue and then because he broke his hand punching a door. He's hoping to return in a few weeks, but the move clears space on the 40-man roster for Robinson Tejeda.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Jose Guillen revealed Friday that he is battling hip soreness.

The topic came up when Guillen was questioned about loafing it to first base on some recent infield groundballs. "They (fans) don’t know what is going on with Jose Guillen," he said. "You think I’m going to put pressure on myself because the fans are booing me. None of you guys know what is going on. I like to play hard, but sometimes that’s all I’ve got for that day."

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
According to manager Trey Hillman, David DeJesus may miss several more days after suffering a bruised rib cage in a collision at home plate Sunday.

"I landed on his mask and, boom, that was it," DeJesus said. "As I walked away from the play, I felt all right. But as soon as I got to the dugout, it was like, 'Oh, my gosh.' It's pretty sore." Joey Gathright will continue to see starts with DeJesus out.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
The Kansas City Star reports that David DeJesus could rejoin the starting lineup Wednesday after "he showed sufficient progress in his recovery from a bruised rib cage."

"He took about 30 tee swings and about 20 soft-toss swings," manager Trey Hillman said. "He's better. We just felt it was better to keep him out one more day."

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
The Kansas City Star reports that Ron Mahay "is drawing plenty of interest from contenders."

Signed to a two-year, $8 million contract this offseason, Mahay has gone 4-0 with a 2.13 ERA in 42 1/3 innings.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
John Bale (hand) is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Tuesday at Double-A.

Bale has missed 81 straight games with shoulder fatigue and a broken hand.

rotoworld

MastaPeacock
07-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Hahhahahahaaahhh... Bale sucks.

PhillyLuver
07-15-2008, 01:30 AM
And TheRedMarauder is amazing.

Thanks man

TheRedMarauder
07-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Royals placed outfielder Joey Gathright on the 15-day disabled list with a bone bruise in his right shoulder.

Gathright has had plenty of playing time, but he's hit just .252/.302/.267 in 247 at-bats this year. The Royals may pick up a little offense by replacing him with Mitch Maier.

Royals recalled outfielder Mitch Maier from Triple-A Omaha.

Maier, a 2003 first-round pick, made his major league debut in Sept. 2006, but hadn't been back since. He was hitting .317/.369/.467 for Omaha. He turned 26 last month, so he's already approaching do-or-die time. He'll likely be an adequate reserve outfielder at best, but it's not like Joey Gathright has been more than that so far.

rotoworld

MetsFan28
08-01-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't like Bale.

TheRedMarauder
08-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Carlos Rosa hasn't pitched since July 13 due to soreness in his forearm.

The Royals don't think it's serious, but are smart to take it cautiously with one of their top prospects. He's scheduled to pitch a simulated game next week.

rotoworld

MetsFan28
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Who's Rosa.

TheRedMarauder
08-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Joey Gathright, who has been on the disabled list since July 24 because of a right shoulder bruise, threw Friday before the game to test his arm.

"I’m going to throw for a couple of days and then start swinging," Gathright said. He's eligible to come off the disabled list next Friday.

David DeJesus is day-to-day after rolling his left ankle during Friday's game.

Mitch Maier will likely start if DeJesus needs Saturday off.

rotoworld

MetsFan28
08-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Wasn't Gathright supposed to be amazing?

TheRedMarauder
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
David DeJesus was scratched from the lineup Sunday because of his back, not his ankle.

DeJesus rolled his ankle Friday, but apparently back soreness is a bigger issue right now. Neither injury is expected to be serious.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
08-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Wasn't Gathright supposed to be amazing?

Maybe when he was a prospect coming up with the Rays, but certainly not now.

rhensley3
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
joey stole a boatload of bases early this season, but couldnt keep it going. the shoulder injury happened quite a while ago...file it under the header "nagging injury".

MetsFan28
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
If Gathright learns to hit he'll be amazing. Look at Reyes, signed as an undrafted free agent and took a while to get good.

rhensley3
08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
the only way to learn how to hit, is to bat against big league pitching. if he cant stay healthy, he doesnt have much of a chance.

MetsFan28
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
True. He needs to start, though.

rhensley3
08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
we've got a guy in omaha right now...a hawiian, 24 years old. just got moved up from class a arkansas....he's hit 30 homers and is a beast. everybody around kc is talking about him. we could see him soon. i cant recall his name...i've heard it a couple of times and cant readily pronounce it. suffice to say he is full hawiian.

MetsFan28
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
we've got a guy in omaha right now...a hawiian, 24 years old. just got moved up from class a arkansas....he's hit 30 homers and is a beast. everybody around kc is talking about him. we could see him soon. i cant recall his name...i've heard it a couple of times and cant readily pronounce it. suffice to say he is full hawiian.

Wow. Lol.

TheRedMarauder
08-07-2008, 02:43 PM
According to the Kansas City Star, John Bale (shoulder) has suffered another setback in his recovery and is unlikely to return this season.

Bale went on the disabled list with a sore left shoulder in April and then broke his hand punching a wall when he was nearing a return in May. The newspaper reports that "the shoulder is still bothering Bale and he’s running out of season to return."

rotoworld

MetsFan28
08-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow. This happened to Randy Johnson once. Why are all pitchers so against walls?

rhensley3
08-09-2008, 12:53 PM
its the steroids, man. they make you angry. LOL

MetsFan28
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Lol. Than Beltran should try some because he's never happy anyway.

rhensley3
08-10-2008, 12:20 PM
he's just mad because the royals traded him.

PhillyLuver
08-11-2008, 10:16 AM

kila kauihee or whatever?

MetsFan28
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
he's just mad because the royals traded him.

Take him back.

TheRedMarauder
12-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Royals manager Trey Hillman admitted Wednesday that he doesn't currently have Mark Teahen in his projected lineup.

Hillman seemed to like the same lineup we had written out when the Coco Crisp deal went down last month: CF Crisp, SS Mike Aviles, LF David DeJesus, RF Jose Guillen, 1B Mike Jacobs, DH Billy Butler, 3B Alex Gordon, C Miguel Olivo and 2B Alberto Callaspo. The extreme lack of OBP in the fourth and fifth slots is a major problem, but those were probably two of Hillman's easiest calls.

rotoworld

rhensley3
12-12-2008, 11:12 PM
it'll give kevin seitzer a chance to work his magic.

DieHardColtsfan
03-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Esteban German Becomes A Free Agent

By Tim Dierkes [March 9, 2009 at 2:50pm CST]
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, infielder Esteban German cleared waivers and was then released by the Royals. German is now a free agent.

German, 31, hit .245/.303/.338 in 242 plate appearances last year while playing in left field as well as all around the infield. His best year was 2006, when he was valued at 1.8 wins.

mlbtr

kmenace09
03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
^ That's too bad. He was a fairly decent utility guy for us. He'll find a home in the MLB somewhere else.

Cooper
03-21-2009, 07:41 PM
He was signed by the Cubs.

Liney3506
05-14-2009, 03:34 AM
The Kansas City Royals will acquire RHP Eric Basurto from the Florida Marlins to complete the Ross Gload trade from April 3.

Basurto, 23, has not pitched so far this year. In 2008, Basurto had a 1.64 ERA in 44 innings for Single-A. He struck out 36 and walked 26. He's not likely to ever see the majors.rotoworld.com

AsfanSince99
08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Royals promoted righty, Yasuhiko Yabuta from the minors.

DieHardColtsfan
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Royals Sign Bruce Chen, Vance Wilson, Four Others

By Tim Dierkes [December 11 at 10:44am CST]
According to a press release from the Royals, they've signed six players to minor league deals: pitchers Bruce Chen, Adam Bostick, Devon Lowery, and Francisco Rosario, as well as first baseman Ernesto Mejia and catcher Vance Wilson.

Chen, 32, posted a 5.78 ERA, 6.5 K/9, and 3.6 BB/9 in 62.3 innings for the Royals this year. Wilson, 37 in March, hit .270/.342/.461 in 229 Double A plate appearances this year. He seems all the way back from Tommy John surgery and might warrant another look as an MLB backup.

baseballislife7
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Meja will turn into a stud for you guys. I know it. Wish he was still with us.

Strike89
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Team has signed Matt Herges to a minor league deal.

Seems good.

DieHardColtsfan
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Royals Claim Gaby Hernandez

Pitcher Gaby Hernandez continues to bounce around, as the Royals claimed him off waivers from the Red Sox today according to a team press release. The Mariners designated Hernandez for assignment upon signing Ryan Garko. The Red Sox claimed Hernandez, but then designated him upon claiming Casey Fien.

Hernandez, 24 in May, posted a 5.23 ERA, 6.0 K/9, and 3.0 BB/9 in 146.3 Triple A innings last year. Heading into the '09 season, Baseball America wrote that Hernandez "flashes three average or better pitches, but he often tries to be so fine that his stuff plays down." At the time, BA suggested he could still become a No. 4 or No. 5 starter.

Cooper
03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
SURPRISE, Ariz. - The Royals reassigned three non-roster players to the Minor League camp on Tuesday.

They were pitcher Francisco Rosario, who had a 7.71 ERA in five games; pitcher Philip Humber, who had an 11.74 ERA in four games, and catcher Cody Clark, who hit .600 (3-for-5) in six games.

The moves reduced the number of players in camp to 43.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Let'sgoMets
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
is Ka'aihue or Betemit making the team?

Cooper
03-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Kila is killin' it right now. Game winning homer against the Dodgers today! He's batting somewhere around .381

Let'sgoMets
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
how bout Aviles?

Cooper
07-03-2010, 12:17 PM
ANAHEIM -- First baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas of the Royals' organization were named to Baseball America's midsummer Minor League all-star team.

The Royals and the Mariners were the only organizations with two players on the first team -- which encompasses all classifications.

In addition, starting pitcher John Lamb and catcher Wil Myers were accorded honorable mention. That made the Royals the only organization with four players honored.

As of Friday, Hosmer was batting .351 with 43 RBIs and 36 extra-base hits for Class A Wilmington. Moustakas was batting .343 with 19 homers and 67 RBIs for Double-A Northwest Arkansas.

Lamb was 3-2 with a 1.77 ERA for Wilmington after being 2-3 with a 1.58 ERA for Class A Burlington. Myers had 10 homers and 45 RBIs with a .289 average for Burlington and was just promoted to Wilmington.

The Royals announced their player and pitchers of the month for each Minor League club: Omaha, infielder Scott Thorman (.340, 22 RBIs) and left-hander Blaine Hardy (2.25 ERA); Northwest Arkansas, first baseman Clint Robinson (.409, eight homers) and right-hander Louis Coleman (three saves, 1.80 ERA); Wilmington, third baseman Jamie Romak (.407) and left-hander Chris Dwyer (3-0, 1.67 ERA); Burlington, Iowa, outfielder Carlo Testa (.256, three homers) and left-hander Ryan Dennick (2-2, two saves, 2.50 ERA); Idaho Falls, DH Murray Watts (.303) and right-hander Michael Mariot (1-0, 2.45 ERA); Burlington, N.C., second baseman Luis Piterson (.517) and right-hander William Avinizar (1-0, 0.00 ERA); Surprise, first baseman Henry Moreno (.483) and right-hander Robinson Yambati (0.93 ERA); Dominican, outfielder Jorge Bonifacio (.253, five doubles) and right-hander Sergio Rosario (3-0, 1.52 ERA).

Cooper
07-09-2010, 08:08 PM
By Samuel Zuba / MLB.com

07/08/10 9:19 PM ET

OMAHA -- As Omaha Royals right fielder David Lough makes his way through the Royals' farm system, it will be his feet that will carry him to the Majors -- literally.

The 24-year-old left-handed hitter has always prided himself in his ability to steal bases. Although lately, they haven't been coming as easily as they used to as he works to recover from a nagging hamstring injury. Lough currently is 9-for-13 in stolen bases with an on-base percentage of only .317 this season in Omaha.

Over the past four seasons, Lough has climbed the ranks in the Minor Leagues, stealing 46 bases along the way, but he expects more from himself.

"I have been running a lot more," Lough said. "I feel more comfortable when I have been running and I feel like I've been getting better jumps, better reads. I've been reading the pitchers a little bit better. But that's the thing I need to improve on. I should be stealing 30 bags a year."

Before the start of the 2010 season, Lough was invited to the Royals' Spring Training in Surprise, Ariz., before being sent to Omaha. While he was there, Kansas City expressed its desire for Lough to focus on breaking out on the basepaths and swiping as many bags as possible.

Lough is doing his best to heed the Royals' advice.

"I feel like I have above-average speed," he said. "We always talk in Spring Training, and they talk to me about stealing more and getting more attempts. They don't care if I get thrown out; as long as I'm working on what I need to work on to get better.

"That's how you get better, by being out there and taking jumps and taking chances. You have to learn that you're going to make mistakes, but that's what makes you a better player."

Lough's journey to Omaha has been a quick one, and manager Mike Jirschele thinks there needs to be some time allotted for Lough to acclimate himself in a new league.

"He's learning the pitchers that he can run on and the pitchers that he can't," Jirschele said. "If they're quick to the plate, he has to be smart enough to know that he can't steal in those situations. Overall, I think he's done a real good job."

Though his focus has been on stealing bases, Lough is no stranger to the plate.

After the 2009 season, Lough was named the 2009 George Brett Hitter of the Year for the entire Royals organization, after he posted a .325 batting average in Class A and Double-A, collectively.

The accolades didn't stop there. Shortly after receiving the Hitter of the Year Award, he was named the 2009 Northwest Arkansas Player of the Year.

"It's indescribable to win an award named after a Hall of Famer like George Brett," Lough said. "To be able to put up those numbers and be so comfortable at the plate, I had nothing in my head that mattered. I just wanted to go out there and work hard and show them that I can play baseball the way I've always played."

Omaha Royals (Triple-A)

As outfielder Alex Gordon and first baseman Kila Ka'aihue wait for their chance to shine in the Majors, the duo has been selected to the 2010 Pacific Coast League All-Star team.

Gordon was one of 13 players elected to the club by league managers, general managers, media members and fans, while Ka'aihue was named to the squad by the league office.

Gordon is batting .314 with 12 homers and 38 RBIs, while Ka'aihue is hitting .305 with 16 homers and 56 RBIs.

Northwest Arkansas Naturals (Double-A)

Making his debut for the Naturals on Tuesday, starting pitcher Chris Dwyer picked up the win as he threw five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and striking out four. Dwyer was 6-3 with a 2.99 ERA before his promotion from Wilmington.

Also making some noise for the Naturals this week was third baseman Mike Moustakas, who was 4-for-4 in Monday's win over Corpus Christi. Moustakas cranked two home runs and five RBIs.

Wilmington Blue Rocks (Advanced Class A)

Christian Colon, the Royals' first-round pick in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, continued to struggle during his professional debut.

After his second week in Wilmington, Colon is now batting .129 (8-for-31) with one RBI, two walks and eight strikeouts.

Burlington Bees (Class A)

In just his second game with the Bees on July 3, Drew Robertson became the hero. As the Bees took a 6-6 tie into the bottom of the 14th inning, Robertson delivered a walk-off single, scoring Luis Del Rosario and giving the Bees the victory, 7-6.

It was Robertson's first hit of the night and second hit for the Bees this season.

Idaho Falls Chukars (Rookie Advanced)

Matthew Morizio -- a right-handed pitcher for the Chukars -- continued his success in Idaho Falls over the past week with dominant stuff on the mound. Through 10 innings pitched, Morizio hasn't allowed a single earned run in five appearances.

With four walks and 10 strikeouts, batters are hitting just .250 against him.

Burlington Royals (Rookie)

Starting pitcher Leonel Santiago is 3-0 in three starts for the Royals.

The 20-year-old right-hander has registered an ERA of 1.59 with four walks and 18 strikeouts. Santiago only allowed runs in the first of his three starts dating back to June 2

Samuel Zuba is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Cooper
07-14-2010, 07:03 PM
KANSAS CITY -- Royals fans may not have to wait much longer to see their highly touted prospect, third baseman Mike Moustakas, take the field at Kauffman Stadium.

It was announced Wednesday that Moustakas was promoted from Double-A Northwest Arkansas to Triple-A Omaha. Moustakas will join the Omaha Royals effective immediately.

In 66 games this season for Double-A, Moustakas is batting a staggering .347 with 21 homers and 76 RBIs -- leading his team in all three categories.

The Royals first-round pick in the 2007 Draft was an All-Star in the Texas League and selected to the MLB All-Star Futures Game this season.

Samuel Zuba is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Harry777
07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't wannna sound like a dick but what happened to your team last night?

Cooper
08-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Royals Minor League Report: Aug. 13

* fan comments (0)
* print this page
* e-mail this page
* post on facebook

Kansas City Royals

08/14/10 1:12 PM ET

Omaha Royals

Omaha 6, Sacramento 2
WP: Luis Mendoza (8-8)
HR: Scott Thorman (#17), Jarrod Dyson (#1)

Omaha scored all six runs in the second as they opened with a win at Sacramento. The victory was their 10th in 11 games. Scott Thorman gave Omaha a 2-1 lead with a two-run blast. Jarrod Dyson followed with a grand slam that hit the top of the wall in center field before going over. It was his first home run in 1131 plate appearances as a professional. Luis Mendoza limited the

NW Arkansas Naturals

Frisco 7, NW Arkansas 6
LP: Barry Bowden (0-1)
HR: None

NW Arkansas missed a chance for a sweep at Frisco. The Naturals opened with seven straight hits, accounting for all six runs. Frisco rallied with the game's final seven tallies. Starter John Lamb surrendered six runs on seven hits and three walks over two innings plus four batters. Rowdy Hardy limited Frisco to three hits over five innings of scoreless relief. Manny Pina drove in three for the Naturals with a bases-clearing double. Clint Robinson went 1-for-2 with a single and two walks, snapping his consecutive home run streak at five games.

Wilmington Blue Rocks

Wilmington 5, Salem 4

WP: Kevin Chapman (1-0)

Wilmington scored three in the eighth to take game one from Salem. Rey Navarro tied the game with a two-run triple. He scored the go-ahead run on a Patrick Norris single. Salvador Perez went 4-for-4 with two runs scored and an RBI. Wil Myers went 1-for-3 plus a walk, extending his hitting streak to 13 games (.500, 23-for-46). Aaron Crow (7 1/3, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO) took a shutout into the sixth. Kevin Chapman (1 2/3 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 2 SO) settled down after allowing a pair of inherited runners to score. The win was his first as a professional.

Burlington Bees

Burlington 15, Clinton 4 WP: Dusty Odenbach (7-9)

Burlington plated nine runs in the second on their way to a 15-4 win at Clinton. All nine position players recorded hits, with seven having multihit games. Jose Bonilla, Hilton Richardson and Ben Theriot drove in three runs apiece. Bonilla and Carlo Testa each scored three times. Dusty Odenbach scattered four runs on six hits and three walks over five innings.

Idaho Falls Chukars

Ogden 12, Idaho Falls 2
LP: Brian Peacock (0-3)

Idaho Falls lost as Ogden scored two in the first and nine in the second. Brian Peacock was charged with 11 runs on nine hits and three walks. Tyler Graham limited the Raptors to a run on five hits and a walk over 4 1/3 innings of relief. Kevin David went 2-for-3 with two doubles, a walk and a run scored.

Burlington Royals

Bristol 3, Burlington 0 (12 innings)
LP: Claudio Bavera (2-4)

Bristol and Burlington traded goose eggs until the Sox broke through with three in the 12th. Jonathan Dooley scattered four hits and a walk over six innings. Bristol's Jarrett Casey worked ten shutout innings, holding the Royals to five hits. Yunior Figueroa led Burlington with two hits.

Surprise Royals

Surprise 7, Arizona Reds 5
WP: Yordani Ventura (3-2)
SV: Cole White (1)

Surprise evened their record at .500 with a home win over the Reds. Julio Pimentel made his first appearance since June 29, striking out one in a scoreless first. Michael Antonio drove home three with a bases-clearing double in the fourth. Jorge Bonifacio added a two-run triple and Daniel Mateo was 2-for-2 with two RBI and two runs.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Cooper
10-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Johnny Giavotella said his biggest concern this fall is working on his defense. It's safe to say the other part of his game is in good shape.

"I've been pretty hot lately," the Royals prospect admitted Friday. "I'm just staying within myself and not doing to much. I'm hitting pitches where they're located, trying to hit things up the middle. And the hits are falling for me right now."

They've been falling every day.
Johnny Giavotella is greeted at home plate after hitting a two-run homer in the fifth inning. (Jordan Megenhardt/MLB.com)

Giavotella extended his RBI streak to five games and briefly took over the Arizona Fall League batting lead as the Surprise Rafters edged the Phoenix Desert Dogs, 7-6.

The 2008 second-round Draft pick went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and a two-run homer in the fifth inning off Yankees right-hander Ryan Pope. He's hit safely in all five AFL games he's played and has driven in eight runs.

"To be honest, I'm not the only person who's hitting in this lineup. We're playing great team baseball," he said. "And we're winning a lot of games, we're hitting as a team right now."

The University of New Orleans product raised his batting average to .545 (12-for-22).

Giavotella led off the game with a double to center field and scored the Rafters' first run on Caleb Gindl's (Brewers) single up the middle. He homered with two outs in the fifth, doubled and scored again in the seventh and reached base a fourth time with a walk in the eighth.

"It was a 3-1 count, I was looking fastball dead red and he gave me one low and in," Giavotella said of his first AFL homer. "I put a good swing on it and and got it up."

The Louisiana native spent his first full Minor League season at Class A Advanced Wilmington in 2009 before the Royals promoted him to Double-A Northwest Arkansas this spring. He was named a Texas League All-Star ater hitting .322 with nine homers, 65 RBIs, 92 runs scored and 13 steals in 134 games.

"I feel like the pitchers are definitely a little better. But at the same time, you can't let them intimidate you," he said of the AFL. "You've got to have confidence in your abilities and good things will happen."

Giavotella saw most of his regular-season at-bats in the No. 2 spot in the Naturals' lineup. He made 13 errors at second base and is dedicated to improving his game in the field.

"My biggest thing [while in Arizona] is working defensively. I'm not what you'd call a defensive second baseman, so I wanted to work on that and fine-tune my skills around second and become an all-around good baseball player," he said.

That plan seems to be working, although Giavotella said he doesn't want to let any day-to-day success go to his head. He's also trying not to think about what 2011 holds for his career.

"I can't control that, I just go out and play my best, do the best I can and hustle every game," he said. "I'll let [the Royals] decide where I start off next year. That's not something I can control."

As for the AFL, it's been an enjoyable experience so far, beyond his on-field success.

"It's a fun league. All the players are laid back, so it's fun to hang out with the guys," Giavotella said. "You just come to the ballpark every day and have fun. That's what its all about."

Part of the new routine has been following along with the Major League Baseball postseason, especially with Surprise having several Rangers prospects on the roster.

"We've been watching all the games. We have the Texas guys on our team, so it's been fun to watch those games and see different players react differently," he said.

NOTES: Brewers 1B Hunter Morris went 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBIs. ...Eric Hosmer, a former Royals' first-round pick, had two hits and an RBI batting cleanup for Surprise. ...Yankees RHP Craig Heyer, born in nearby Scottsdale, started for Phoenix and allowed one run on two hits and a walk over three innings. ... Pope took the loss, while another Yankees prospect, George Kontos, was charged with three runs -- one earned -- on four hits in one frame. ... Brian Broderick (Cardinals), a Phoenix native, started for Surprise and picked up the victory, holding his hometown team to a pair of runs on four hits and a walk on 61 pitches over five innings. He's 2-0. ... Cards reliever Jordan Swagerty pitched a perfect sixth for the Rafters. He recently called his AFL experience "unbelievable," adding, "The league is everything I thought it would be and more."

Danny Wild is an editor for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Mandrew
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Moustakas! Hopefully he makes up for the disappointent Gordon has been.

RTL
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Royals signed 3B Pedro Feliz to a minor league contract.
Why are we not surprised by this? Feliz, who turns 36 in April, will have the opportunity to earn an $800,000 base salary if he makes the team and could make an additional $200,000 with incentives. The veteran third baseman just .218/.240/.293 with five home runs and 40 RBI with the Astros and Cardinals last season. His defense also took a nosedive, according to Ultimate Zone Rating.

Not going to hurt since its just a minor league deal but I doubt this leads to anything.

CeeDub15
05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
From what ive heard, Moustakas will be called up soon, and when i say that, i mean day(s) or week(s), not months. Im thinking we will prolly trade Betemit soon after...

MetsLegacy
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah, apparently the Marlins are showing some interest in Betemit. Maybe they can get a bullpen arm for Betemit.

chonbon
11-22-2011, 01:30 AM
can anyone give me any updates on jake odorizzi?

CeeDub15
01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
7. Mike Montgomery, Royals: Little seemed to go right for Montgomery in 2011. He headed into the year at the front of an impressive group of pitching prospects in the Royals system, with many thinking he'd be the first to reach Kansas City. The Triple-A Pacific Coast League handed Montgomery a healthy serving of humble pie, as Montgomery struggled with his command for much of the season. His pure stuff is still as good as it ever was, with the potential to have three plus pitches, and he did stay healthy all season. Montgomery seemed to learn from his tough season, and it could serve him well this year, when the 22-year-old should break through to the big leagues.

That's from MLB.com. He was ranked #2 last year. I'm hoping he can turn it around this year.

CeeDub15
01-24-2012, 01:05 AM
3. Bubba Starling, Royals: As top athletes go, there are few in baseball better than Starling. Kansas City signed him away from a scholarship to play quarterback at the University of Nebraska, and Starling has all five tools in his toolbox. He has plus speed that should allow him to both steal bases and play an outstanding center field. Starling's strong throwing arm is a plus defensively as well. He has excellent raw power and has shown enough pure hitting skills to indicate he'll tap into that power consistently and hit for average as well. It might take Starling a little time to put it all together, but the payoff could be huge.

4. Wil Myers, Royals: Struggles in Double-A in 2011, compounded by a knee injury, dampened Myers' star a bit. His play in the Arizona Fall League, though, helped bring him back to the top of the young hitters' list, as the now 21-year-old regained his confidence at the plate. Myers' plus bat speed should allow him to hit for average and power, and he's an on-base machine. Last year was his first in the outfield after a move from behind the plate, and he should fit the mold of a right fielder when all is said and done. Even if Myers goes back to Double-A to start the season, he could be ready for Kansas City in a year's time.

mlb.com.