PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Pirates -Minor News-

SportFan4Life
01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Here's a thread where minor news can be posted here. Things like injury updates, minor league deals, anything not derserving its own thread can be all gathered here for everyone to see. You could also use this thread to talk about certain things regarding the Pirates.

SportFan4Life
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Twenty of the Pirates' 24 pitchers on the 40-man roster will attend the voluntary minicamp next week in Bradenton, Fla., the notable exceptions being veterans Matt Morris and Damaso Marte the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported

Relievers Franquelis Osoria and Juan Perez also will not attend, but each recently competed in the Dominican Winter League and will have time off before spring training. Marte, too, is pitching in that league's ongoing playoffs.

None of the pitchers is injured, general manager Neal Huntington confirmed Thursday...

Continued... (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08004/846613-63.stm)

SportFan4Life
01-05-2008, 05:34 PM
The Pirates finally have added some right-handed relief pitching the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

The team and veteran Elmer Dessens agreed to a one-year, minor-league contract, the financial terms of which were not available. He is coming off a two-year, $3.4 million deal, but the money undoubtedly will be well below such a salary level.

Dessens, who will turn 37 in two weeks, had a 6.60 ERA in 12 relief appearances with the Milwaukee Brewers last season and, after being released, a 1-1 record and 7.58 ERA in five starts with the Colorado Rockies. He was slowed much of the year by shoulder and hamstring injuries...

Continued... (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08005/846978-63.stm)

SportFan4Life
01-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Pirates signed RHP Elmer Dessens, infielder Jose Macias and infielder Gabe Suarez to minor league contracts.

Dessens had a 7.15 ERA in 34 innings for the Dodgers and Brewers last season. The Pirates could carry him as a middle reliever, but all things being equal, they'll probably go with younger pitchers ahead of him.

Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, "the Pirates have approached closer Matt Capps with a long-term contract offer."

The newspaper notes that the Pirates are looking to sign Capps to a three- or four-year contract, but even a four-year deal would simply give the team price certainty through his arbitration-eligible seasons. Capps won't be eligible for free agency until 2012 and is set to make close to the minimum in 2008.

Rotoworld

The Pirates are not interested in signing Freddy Sanchez to a multi-year contract, according to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette.

Sanchez is under the team's control for two more seasons as an arbitration-eligible player, but his agent said Sunday that the Pirates have made no effort to sign him beyond 2008. Sanchez is unlikely to give up any of his free agent years when he's so close to hitting the open market and the Pirates don't have much to gain in terms of cost certainty with only two more arbitration-eligible seasons left, so going year-by-year makes some sense for both sides.

Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Pirates signed RHP Adam Bernero to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

Bernero, who has a 5.91 ERA in 376 innings as a major leaguer, missed 2007 following Tommy John surgery. He'll go to Triple-A in an attempt to work his way back.

Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Ronny Paulino said Monday that he's lost 10 pounds in an effort to improve his performance following a disappointing 2007 season.

The Pirates have spent the offseason pursuing various other catching options, so they're clearly lacking some confidence in Paulino. "This season means a lot to me," Paulino said. "It's going to be a new start, a new chance. I'm going to work hard and prove that what I did in 2006 was the way I can play." So far at least the Pirates have come up empty in their search for a catcher to challenge Paulino, so he's atop the depth chart with a clear path to regular at-bats.

Rotoworld

Chris Duffy isn't yet fully recovered from shoulder surgery and might not be ready to compete for a job in spring training.

Duffy is probably done in the Pirates organization anyway. He's expected to be assigned to Triple-A once healthy, and there's a good chance he'll be traded before ever seeing another major league at-bat.

Rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that the Pirates have approached Adam LaRoche regarding a long-term contract extension.

LaRoche will be eligible for free agency following the 2009 season and the newspaper reports that the Pirates are looking to sign him to a three- or four-year deal. "I love the team and where we're headed, and my family has loved our time in the city," LaRoche said. "We'll see how serious things get, but I'm definitely in favor of staying with the Pirates."

rotoworld

jesusncleats
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that the Pirates have approached Adam LaRoche regarding a long-term contract extension.

LaRoche will be eligible for free agency following the 2009 season and the newspaper reports that the Pirates are looking to sign him to a three- or four-year deal. "I love the team and where we're headed, and my family has loved our time in the city," LaRoche said. "We'll see how serious things get, but I'm definitely in favor of staying with the Pirates."
rotoworld

He must have brain damage

SportFan4Life
01-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Pirates signed C Raul Chavez, RHP T.J. Beam and INF-OF Jose Macias to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.

The Pirates are just announcing some deals that were agreed to weeks ago. Chavez is strictly insurance against a couple of injuries to catchers.

Source: Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-12-2008, 04:33 PM
In Sean Burnett, Franquelis Osoria, Jonah Bayliss and Phil Dumatrait, the Pirates have four candidates for the pitching staff out of options.

They also have Rule 5 pick Evan Meek, who would have to be returned to the Rays if he doesn't win a spot. Still, GM Neal Huntington stressed, "We're going to take the best guys." Osoria is heavily favored to land a bullpen spot alongside Matt Capps, Damaso Marte and John Grabow. If the Pirates land one more veteran, that'd leave more openings. Burnett could potentially be carried as a middle reliever, though he'd have to impress his spring. If he's throwing no better than he did last year, he shouldn't have trouble clearing waivers.

SportFan4Life
01-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Ian Snell recently approached the Pirates about a long-term contract and was rejected.

Snell is still four years away from free agency and the Pirates have explored the idea of moving him, so it's hardly a surprise that the team isn't ready to talk to him about a long-term deal. Maybe something will happen next year, assuming that Snell is still on the team.

Cronin
01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that Chris Duffy is "a lock" to begin the season in the minors following August shoulder surgery.

Duffy has fallen behind both Nate McLouth and Nyjer Morgan on the Pirates' center field depth chart, and may have played his last game in Pittsburgh. "Whatever they've got for me, I'm going to be fine with it," Duffy said. "I want to get healthy and get back to how I used to play. I know what I'm capable of doing."

-Roto

Cronin
01-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Adam LaRoche and the Pirates have agreed to terms on a one-year contract worth $5 million, according to MLB.com.

The deal would allow the two sides to avoid arbitration and gives LaRoche a raise of $1.8 million over last season. LaRoche has two more seasons left before being eligible for free agency and the Pirates have reportedly talked to him recently about a long-term contract extension.

-Roto

SportFan4Life
01-22-2008, 07:36 PM
The Pirates signed RHP Mike Burns and OF Jorge Cortes to minor league deals.

The 29-year-old Burns has 45 games of major league experience, but he spent the entire 2007 season at Triple-A Pawtucket. He struggled in a swingman role, surrendering far too many home runs as his K rate dipped significantly. Burns might sneak back to the majors as an injury replacement, but is unlikely to ever land a steady gig. Cortes, 27, who finally rose above Double-A last season, returns to his original organization.

SportFan4Life
01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Pirates OF Steven Pearce is likely to begin the season in Triple-A.

Pearce, who hit .294/.342/.397 in 63 at-bats last season, would likely be stuck coming off the bench, and the Pirates would prefer he see regular playing time. "In a perfect world, Steve deserves a chance to win an everyday job at the Major League level, but with Xavier [Nady], with Jason , with Adam [LaRoche], we're not in a position to give that to him," GM Neal Huntington said.

[B]Source: Rotoworld

SportFan4Life
01-24-2008, 10:13 PM
The Pirates and Shawn Chacon continue to discuss a deal that would bring the free agent back to Pittsburgh.

Chacon's agent has been marketing him as a starter, but predictably, Chacon's phone hasn't been ringing off the hook. He was actually effective against right-handed hitters out of the bullpen last season, and will likely fill a similar role if he signs with the Pirates in '08.

SportFan4Life
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Pirates signed RHP Hector Carrasco and LHP Casey Fossum to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.

The Pirates are hoping Carrasco can return to his pre-2007 form, which is a long shot, but a worthy gamble. Fossum showed last season that he's not better in relief than he is as a starter, but the veteran figures to get a shot at cracking the Pittsburgh bullpen.

SportFan4Life
01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Damaso Marte was involved in a car accident in the Dominican Republic on Tuesday but did not suffer any serious injuries, an official from his winter league team said.

Marte did complain of discomfort in his neck after the accident. Licey GM Fernando Ravelo said that the team will monitor Marte's health to decide whether he will play in the Caribbean World Series.

SportFan4Life
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Pirates claimed infielder Ray Olmedo of waivers from the Blue Jays.

Olmedo will battle Josh Wilson for one bench spot. He has the better glove of the two, but since the Pirates are already going with a defense-first shortstop, it'd make more sense to carry Wilson.
Related: Josh Wilson, Blue Jays

SportFan4Life
02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Pirates designated LHP Sean Burnett for assignment.

Burnett was out of options and wasn't going to be considered for a rotation spot unless Matt Morris was traded or someone got hurt. As little upside as he has now, he'll probably clear waivers and report to camp as a non-roster player.

SportFan4Life
04-04-2008, 08:08 PM
April 4th

Freddy Sanchez left as a precaution Thursday because of his sore right shoulder.

Consider him questionable for Friday's game. The Pirates would surely like to have him out there with Jack Wilson practically certain to miss the contest. If he can't go, Luis Rivas figures to fill in.

--------------------------------------------

Freddy Sanchez, who came out of Thursday's game after five innings, is back at second base on Friday.

Sanchez remains limited by soreness in his surgically repaired shoulder, but he'll give it another try versus the Marlins.

SportFan4Life
04-06-2008, 06:16 PM
April 6th

Pirates recalled shortstop Brian Bixler from Triple-A Indianapolis.

He will get regular starts while Jack Wilson is out. Bixler is the Pirates' top infield prospect. He strikes out too often to hit for average and doesn't have much power, but is a threat to steal bases, giving him a little short-term value in NL-only leagues.

NYMetros
04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Bringing up Bixler was the expected move since Wilson is injured. It will be good to see what he can do at the majors. This is a good opportunity for him to get his feet wet and maybe learn a thing or two.

Tragedy
04-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Interesting to see what Bixler can do. I've only heard the name, never seen him play.

NYMetros
04-09-2008, 08:41 PM
The Pirates today announced a four-year extension on their working agreement with the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians.
“We are very pleased to be affiliated with the Indianapolis Indians for at least four more years,” Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said in a prepared statement. “The city, ballpark, front office and ownership are all first-class and we are fortunate to be able to finish off our players’ minor league development in such a quality environment.”

Indianapolis was the Pirates’ Triple-A affiliate from 1948-51. In 1996, the Indians moved into Victory Field, which has been listed among the best venues in the minor leagues.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_561500.html)

TheRedMarauder
04-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Chris Duffy (shoulder) will visit with Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Duffy's rehabilitation from shoulder surgery has been painstakingly slow, and the team wants to make sure everything is structurally sound.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Chris Duffy (shoulder) was given a cortisone shot after being examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum on Tuesday.

Duffy won't be allowed to throw until the coming weekend, at which point he will restart his rehab process. "We will have a better feel for his return-to-play plan once he begins to throw again next week," general manager Neal Huntington said.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Jack Wilson (calf) is unlikely to begin a minor league rehab assignment until this weekend.

Brian Bixler, who has gone just 4-for-24 (.167) in 11 games, will continue to fill in at shortstop along with Luis Rivas.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette now reports that Jack Wilson will not begin playing in minor league games until "early to mid-next week."

That would put him on schedule to return in early May. Wilson began running exercises in Florida yesterday and also did some light hitting. He experienced tightness in his strained left calf, but it was declared minor.

rotoworld

NYMetros
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
The Pirates are drawing some alarmingly small crowds at PNC Park, including the 10,185 who watched the 3-2 victory against Florida last night, but the team remains optimistic it can match last year's total.

"Attendance over the first few games in April is never a reliable gauge of what overall attendance will be," team president Frank Coonelly said. "We have sold more tickets than at this point last season, and our in-park attendance through seven games was within 400 people of what we had last year through seven games.

"Nevertheless, it is a shame that more fans have not been able to enjoy Pirates baseball at PNC Park to date."

Pittsburgh Post Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08114/875643-63.stm)

TheRedMarauder
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Pirates manager John Russell said he's hoping Jack Wilson will be ready for the May 6-8 series against the Giants.

Wilson (calf) has been running and hitting at extended spring training and will begin a minor league rehab assignment in mid-to-late next week.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Jack Wilson (calf) is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Friday. Barring a setback, he's hoping to come off the disabled list Tuesday.

rotoworld

NYMetros
04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Both Tom Gorzelanny and manager John Russell said after the Pirates' 13-1 win over the Mets on Wednesday that the tightness in the left-hander's lower back that forced him out of the game prematurely is not expected to cause him to miss his next start.

Gorzelanny (2-3) is scheduled to make his next start on Tuesday on five days' rest.

"As far as I know, he should be fine," Russell said. "We'll just have to monitor it the next few days. It's just a tight back right now. There's no pain in his legs or anywhere else. They don't see anything in terms of nerves. It's just his muscles tightening up on him."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2614275&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

TheRedMarauder
05-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Tom Gorzelanny will not make his next scheduled start because of a strained lower back.

"If he had to pitch Tuesday, he could," manager John Russell said. "We just want to make sure this isn't something that lingers for months, so we'll give him a few extra days to feel better and to get some work on the side."

Jack Wilson will not begin his scheduled rehab assignment Friday after he was forced to leave an extended spring training game with soreness in his injured left calf.

The Pirates are calling it a minor setback and will run a few tests Saturday morning.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Jack Wilson, finally nearing a return from a strained calf, could begin playing in the minors this weekend.

Wilson won't spend much time on a rehab assignment, so NL-only leaguers should start preparing to activate him next week. Brian Bixler will return to the minors to make room for him.

Tom Gorzelanny is scheduled to pitch Saturday after missing one start with a strained lower back.

Gorzelanny still isn't 100 percent and he'll be facing the Braves, so the smart play would be to keep him reserved.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Jack Wilson (calf) could be out of the Pirates lineup until June.

Wilson has been out since suffering the injury on April 3, and suffered a setback earlier this week. He'll be shut down until next week, and then will need at least a week in the minor leagues before he's ready to rejoin the team.

Xavier Nady has been bothered by a slightly strained groin for the last two games.

Nady injured his groin in the first game of the Pirates' series against the Giants on Tuesday, but still went 2-for-7 with a home run in the next two games. He might get a day of rest, but the injury doesn't seem significant.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Chris Duffy (shoulder) threw from 120 feet Saturday and is taking at-bats in extended spring training games.

The Pirates have yet to set a timetable for Duffy's return. He has been out all year rehabbing from August shoulder surgery.

Adam LaRoche is feeling soreness in the area between his thumb and wrist, but claims it has no impact on his swing.

LaRoche has been icing it after every game. It sounds like a problem that will take care of itself over time.

Freddy Sanchez revealed Sunday that he still feels pain in his surgically repaired right shoulder.

"I'm playing through it, but there are times when it's killing me," Sanchez said. "It's hurting every time I throw right now. I don't understand why it keeps coming back. I'm just trying to get over the hump." Sanchez has been on a tear offensively, so hopefully the soreness isn't bad enough to pull him from the lineup.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Manager John Russell said Tuesday that Jack Wilson (calf) is "close" to returning from the disabled list.

"There's still no exact date, but it's mostly a matter of getting over some fatigue he has after the fifth or sixth inning, which is to be expected," Russell said. Wilson is scheduled to be examined Friday after playing a three-game series at Double-A.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Jack Wilson (calf) is expected to return from the disabled list by Tuesday at the latest.

"I want to be back sooner, maybe Saturday or Sunday," Wilson said. "But definitely Tuesday."

rotoworld

NYMetros
05-25-2008, 08:37 PM
There's a silent understanding among the Pirates' infielders when it comes to mental and physical errors on the field.
They know their jobs and know each other's boundaries. So when one of them makes a mistake, they know what to do and what to say.

And in Freddy Sanchez's view ...

"When you make an error, no one feels worse than you," he said. "You don't really need anyone coming up to you and telling you what you did wrong. You know what you did wrong, and especially if it's a physical mistake, they're going to happen.

"So anything anyone says or does isn't going to change that. If I make an error, I know I got to bear down and make the next play."

That attitude has been on display throughout this week's homestand, which has seen its share of mental and physical errors by the Pirates' defense.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080524&content_id=2762385&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

NYMetros
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Former No. 1 Draft pick Bryan Bullington will be joining the Pirates in Cincinnati for Thursday's series finale against the Reds, giving the club a much-needed fresh arm for the bullpen.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080529&content_id=2793316&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

jesusncleats
05-29-2008, 09:39 PM
OH YIPPIE!!!

The first pick in the draft in the bullpen!!!!

I HATE my team :(

NYMetros
05-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Catcher Raul Chavez's game-calling on Thursday night impressed John Russell enough for the Pirates manager to reward Chavez with the start over Ronny Paulino again on Friday.

Chavez, who came up when Ryan Doumit was placed on the disabled list with a left thumb fracture, was expected to spell Paulino for a day or two of rest each week. However, with Paulino scuffling and Chavez impressing, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Chavez garner starts more frequently until Doumit's return.

"I like the way he's catching," Russell said. "He worked [with starter Phil] Dumatrait very well. I just like the ways he going about it right now."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080530&content_id=2800629&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

TheRedMarauder
06-02-2008, 02:37 PM
General manager Neal Huntington said Sunday that the Pirates would consider demoting Tom Gorzelanny to Triple-A if he continues to struggle.

"As hesitant as we would be to do something like that, yes, we would," Huntington said. "We have to figure out the best course of action to get him back to his potential. I'd say we're still a ways away from that, but the reality is that we have to help Tom Gorzelanny."

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Tom Gorzelanny pitched seven innings of three-run ball Saturday in a no-decision against the Diamondbacks.

Gorzy matched Dan Haren in what was technically his first quality start since May 10. He was also decent last time out, so any talk of him heading down to Triple-A will be quieted for now.

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Before his last start, Ian Snell talked about the need for the Pirates' rotation to come together and put up a good, solid week as an entire unit.
The right-hander got just what he wanted, and so did the Pirates, who saw their rotation have one quality start after another last week for basically the first time all season.

Because of a high pitch count, Snell was the only one that did not complete six innings, but he struck out nine and surrendered just one earned run in his start on Friday. The rest of the Pirates' rotation went 28 2/3 innings, giving up 27 hits and only nine earned runs Tuesday through Saturday.

"I think everybody put up a pretty good start up," lefty Zach Duke said. "I hope that we can expect that every time through. Obviously, we're all going to have our down times. But, yeah, this rotation through is kind of what we strive for."

Left fielder Jason Bay put it best.

"It's been up and down, but we're going to live and die by it -- that's for sure," he said of the rotation. "Hopefully our starters keep it up and we get some more runs."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080608&content_id=2869413&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

NYMetros
06-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Triple-A Nashville's Neil Walker homered twice and drove in four runs in Sunday's game.

Maybe the move to draft Pedro Alvarez was just the kick in the pants that Walker needed. He's 5-for-10 with three homers and a double since. That gets him up to .237/.278/.464 for the year.

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
The Pirates' defense is becoming extremely appreciative of what Phil Dumatrait is accomplishing on the mound these days.

They like how he wastes little time in between pitches, and they love the way he handles himself with a quiet confidence. In return, the defense has rewarded the lefty with steady, and sometimes stunning, glove work behind him.

"I think everyone has confidence when he's on the mound," Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche said. "I know for a fact that everyone on this team wants him out there and he wants to be out there."

"He's not going to be scared of anybody," LaRoche said. "He may walk some guys, but it's not intentionally out of the zone. It doesn't matter who's hitting, he has no problem throwing -- even in fastball counts -- a heater right there and saying, 'Hit it.'

Pirates.com (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080609&content_id=2876459&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

NYMetros
06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
It seems every ball coming off the bat of Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson is either a sharp line drive or deep fly ball. He's seeing pitches with a keen eye and is making every at-bat count.
He's hitting 15-for-44 with three doubles, four RBIs and four runs scored in his last 12 games.

Not bad for a guy who was on the disabled list from early April to late May with a strained left calf. However, Wilson says his swing and feel at the plate are still in Spring Training mode.

"I usually do better in Spring Training than I do in the regular season," Wilson joked when asked about his recent stats. "The goal there is to get your timing back and hit pitches hard. I've been doing that, so I feel good.

"But it still feels with being out there every day, the body's a little sore more than it would be if I was playing for the last two months. It's just a little bit different from what I'm use to."

Wilson went on to add that a batter usually gets 40-50 at bats in Spring Training, and that's right where Wilson is in the regular season.

"It's at the very end," he said. "It's just something I've never experienced before. It's getting there."

Pirates manager John Russell went a little further on the subject.

"I think what he means is the comfortable level of being able to recognize pitches, as far as speed and rotation," Russell said. "It takes a little time to get his timing back. That's kind of what you think as the timing of it that you feel like you're just out of Spring Training.

"For missing that amount of time, I think he's swung the bat exceptionally well for us. The more he plays, the timing will come even more back to him and start feel comfortable."

Pirates.com (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080609&content_id=2878457&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

NYMetros
06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Until Matt Capps blew his first save of the season on Tuesday, it looked as if the Pirates would be in line to climb to within one game of .500 for the sixth time this season. But with a home run, Nationals outfielder Lastings Milledge ensured that the Pirates would instead drop to three games below .500 heading into Wednesday's contest, the mark remains just out of reach.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080611&content_id=2889080&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

NYMetros
06-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Though obviously no reflection of performance, Bryan Bullington's stint with the Pirates appears to be on a short fuse.

Since being called up on May 29 to serve as the club's long reliever, the only throwing that Bullington has done has come off the bullpen mound. After not pitching again on Tuesday, Bullington has now gone 16 days without pitching in a game.

His last appearance came in a five-inning start for Triple-A Indianapolis on May 25.

When asked about Bullington's status, Huntington spoke with a different tone, suggesting that management is beginning to question whether it can keep Bullington on the team's roster much longer sans pitching opportunities.

"We're in the process of evaluating what's best for Bryan, both short term and long term," Huntington said. "At some point in time, it does become unfair to ask Bryan to sit for however long it's been and then to go out there and throw strikes."

Pirates.com (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080611&content_id=2892284&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

NYMetros
06-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Pirates recalled RHP Marino Salas from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Salas allowed seven runs in nine innings for the Pirates last month. He'll be the Pirates' mop-up man.

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Chris Duffy will begin a rehab assignment Sunday at Double-A Altoona.

Duffy, the Pirates' Opening Day center fielder, is recovering from August shoulder surgery. He should return to the Pirates in a couple of weeks.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Ryan Doumit (concussion) missed a second game on Thursday, but is hopeful he'll be able to return on Friday.

"We'll have to see how he feels," manager John Russell said. "We're going to stay cautious." The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says it's "highly likely" he'll return by the end of the weekend.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Ronny Paulino was placed on the seven-day minor league disabled list with a sprained right ankle.

Paulino was 9-for-13 at Triple-A Indianapolis with two home runs and four RBI. He should return the day he's eligible.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Ryan Doumit (concussion) was symptom-free on Sunday, and could pinch-hit on Tuesday.

Doumit was in the on-deck circle on Sunday, but didn't wind up batting. The Pirates hope that after one game as a pinch-hitter, he'll be able to return to full duty on Wednesday.

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Jason Bay admitted that his subpar 2007 season was hard to handle.

Many questioned if his All-Star seasons in 2005 and '06 were a fluke. Others said his injured right knee was to blame.

"It was very tough, because the first few years, personally, [went] quite well," he said. "That's a whole different ballgame to deal with."

"I look back and I think it made me a better person, a better player to go through that," Bay said of '07. "I'm not glad it happened, but it's something I'm taking a positive from."

Pirates.com (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080622&content_id=2981887&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

TheRedMarauder
06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Jimmy Barthmaier will be promoted from to start Friday's game for the Pirates.

Entering last season, he was one of the Astros' top prospects, but Houston gave up on him after a tough year. The Pirates claimed him, and after a mediocre start at Double-A, he's gone 2-1 with a 2.84 ERA in five starts at Triple-A. He'll face the Rays.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
John Van Benschoten, who was supposed to be called up from Triple-A to start Saturday's game, has shoulder stiffness and will be replaced.

We're guessing Yoslan Herrera will get the nod in his place. At least there's a smidgen of upside there. Van Benschoten is pretty much hopeless as a starting pitcher.

Pirates optioned RHP T.J. Beam to Triple-A Indianapolis.

He was promoted on Sunday, and allowed five runs in 2 1/3 innings over two appearances. His roster spot was needed so that the Pirates can promote Jimmy Barthmaier to start on Friday.

Ty Taubenheim is expected to be called up to start for the Pirates on Saturday.

He'll get the call instead of John Van Benschoten, who is dealing with shoulder stiffness. Taubenheim is 4-9 with a 4.60 ERA at Triple-A, so don't expect very much major league success.

rotoworld

NYMetros
06-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Pirates signed RHP Ryan Drese and assigned him to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Drese was great early in spring training for the Braves, but ended up getting cut. He has been pitching in an independent league

Pirates optioned RHP Jimmy Barthmaier to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Barthmaier looked terrible in his major league debut Friday. He let up seven earned runs on seven hits over 2 1/3 innings. That's just no good

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
06-28-2008, 02:12 PM
The Pirates are expected to recall John Van Benschoten and T.J. Beam from Triple-A Indianapolis.

They'll place Denny Bautista on the DL to make room. He was struck on the forearm by a line drive Friday night. Van Benschoten will likely start Wednesday in Cincinnati. Beam will work in relief.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Nate McLouth was held out of Friday's lineup because of a "violently" upset stomach.

McLouth came down with the illness Wednesday night. "I spent pretty much all day (Thursday) in bed," he said. "I don't know if it was something I ate or what." He should return at some point this weekend.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Pirates reinstated LHP Phil Dumatrait from the 15-day disabled list.

Dumatrait, who had been out since June 20 with left shoulder bursitis, will start Monday night's game against the Astros. He's taking the roster spot of Tom Gorzelanny, who was optioned to Triple-A over the weekend.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Pirates recalled RHP Luis Munoz from Double-A Altoona.

Munoz has gone 4-5 with a 5.38 ERA and 53/36 K/BB ratio in 87 innings between Double-A and Triple-A this season, so he's far from deserving up a call-up. He's been a starter in the minors, but should be used as a mop-up man at best if the Pirates are smart.

Pirates optioned RHP John Van Benschoten to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Van Benschoten got knocked around in two starts after being called up late last month and the former first-round pick now sports a hideous 8.96 ERA in 83 1/3 career innings.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Pirates optioned outfielder Steve Pearce to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Pearce was called up last week despite having nowhere to play, went 1-for-3 in three appearances off the bench and now heads back to the minors. If the Pirates trade Adam LaRoche, Jason Bay or Xavier Nady, Pearce will likely be the long-term replacement.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Pirates purchased the contract of RHP Yoslan Herrera from Double-A Altoona.

The Cuban defector will make his major league debut Saturday against the Cardinals. Herrera allowed two runs over seven innings in his Triple-A debut on June 28 and has a 2.81 ERA in the minors this season. He's an upgrade for the Pirates' rotation, but that doesn't make him a good fantasy option, even for NL-only leaguers.

Pirates activated RHP Franquelis Osoria from the 15-day disabled list.

Osoria was out two weeks with a strained Achilles tendon. The Pirates have enjoyed using him in mop-up duty this season and he has a 6.02 ERA to show for it. He'll probably resume that role.

Pirates optioned RHP Luis Munoz to Double-A Altoona.

Munoz was called up on Thursday but didn't make an appearance. That's probably a good thing, seeing as he had a 5.38 ERA and a 53/36 K/BB ratio at Double-A.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Pirates recalled RHP Marino Salas from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Salas takes the spot of Romulo Sanchez. Apparently, if the Pirates are hardly ever going to use their 12th pitcher, they'd prefer said pitcher to be someone with no real future in the organization. Salas has allowed 12 runs in 9 2/3 innings in the majors this season.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-18-2008, 02:34 PM
John Van Benschoten is expected to be called up to start for the Pirates on Monday.

He pitched two scoreless innings at Triple-A Indianapolis on Thursday, but he did walk three.

Chris Hernandez was granted his unconditional release from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Hernandez looked like he had a shot at being added to the 40-man roster at the end of last season, but so far this year he had a 6.75 ERA in 18 2/3 innings at Triple-A. He had posted a 2.61 ERA in 20 2/3 innings at Double-A before that, though, so he could probably latch on somewhere if so inclined.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
07-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Ronny Paulino (ankle) has yet to resume playing at Triple-A and there's no timetable for his return.

He's been on the minor league disabled list since June 21 with an injury that was initially expected to be relatively minor.

rotoworld

NYMetros
07-24-2008, 11:15 AM
While Coonelly, like all others involved in the negotiations, would not divulge any specifics regarding talks with Alvarez and his agent Scott Boras, he did acknowledge disappointment in the fact that an agreement has not already been reached with the Pirates' first-round pick.

Pirates.com (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080723&content_id=3185140&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

TheRedMarauder
07-25-2008, 08:29 PM
With Damaso Marte apparently on the way out, John Grabow could be the favorite for saves in Pittsburgh.

Grabow is a completely generic reliever, but with a 3.08 ERA in 49 2/3 innings, he's in the midst of easily his best season as a major leaguer. He doesn't have a big righty-lefty splits, so he probably is the best choice to close. Tyler Yates hasn't been any good at all of late. Denny Bautista might prove to be the better alternative should Grabow struggle.

rotoworld

NYMetros
07-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Adam LaRoche came out of Sunday's game in the eighth inning with back spasms and is day-to-day.

Jose Bautista will move back into the lineup, with Doug Mientkiewicz going to first, if LaRoche can't play on Monday.

Freddy Sanchez left Sunday’s contest in the second inning with back spasms.

Sanchez was injured running to first base on a grounder. Luis Rivas replaced him at second base.

rotoworld

NYMetros
07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
The Pirates officially added Jeff Karstens to their active roster on Monday.

The team still hasn't announced whether he'll start on Friday on Saturday.

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Dodgers remain the primary suitor for Jack Wilson.

The newspaper notes that the Tigers are no longer interested in Wilson despite talking to the Pirates about him during the offseason

rotoworld

NYMetros
07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Pirates recalled infielder Brian Bixler from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Bixler has hit .278 at Triple-A, but he logged a brutal .175/.243/.200 line in his 80 at-bats with the Pirates this season. He could see some time at second with Freddy Sanchez dealing with lower back stiffness.

Rotoworld

SportsFan1988
08-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Pirates designated RHP Franquelis Osoria for assignment.
Osoria may have had a 6.08 ERA, but he helped the Pirates by eating up a ton of innings in middle relief this season, 60 2/3 to be exact. He ranked second in the league to Joel Hanrahan even though he had spent 15 days on the DL with ankle bursitis. If he clears waivers, he'll probably be brought back in September.

Pirates designated outfielder Chris Duffy for assignment.
Duffy hadn't played in the majors this season after offseason shoulder surgery. He resumed playing in the minors in June and hit .259/.333/.431 in 58 at-bats. Although he hasn't shown much in a year and a half, it wouldn't be a surprise to see some team claim him. Seattle is one possibility.

Pirates optioned shortstop Brian Bixler to Triple-A Indianapolis
Bixler had been called up Tuesday as added insurance with Freddy Sanchez hurt. He goes back to Triple-A now to make room for Andy LaRoche. Still, he got some good news today when the Pirates moved Jason Bay and didn't get a shortstop in return. He'll return to the majors in September.

Rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Adam Laroche (right intercostal strain) said Friday that his injury might not be as serious as originally thought.

At one point it was thought that LaRoche's injury could be season-ending, but apparently that's not the case. Still, it's not a great a sign he'll be ready to return when first eligible.

rotoworld

NYMetros
08-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Hopefully LaRoche gets back as soon as possible. He makes the lineup a lot more dangerous. He is a threat to go deep almost every AB.

NYMetros
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Pirates optioned RHP Yoslan Herrera to Double-A Altoona.

Herrera posted a 9.82 ERA in five starts with the Pirates, including a disastrous outing Monday against the Diamondbacks. No corresponding roster move has been made yet, but the Pirates may recall Tom Gorzelanny from Triple-A, where he has a 2.01 ERA in five starts since his demotion.

Rotoworld

It's about time...

TheRedMarauder
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Jason Davis is scheduled to join the Pirates' rotation with a start Sunday against the Phillies.

A longtime reliever, Davis was a full-time starter at Triple-A prior to being called up, going 6-9 with a 4.41 ERA and 68/47 K/BB ratio in 116 1/3 innings. He has a 4.75 ERA in 434 career major league innings, but hasn't started a big league game since 2005 and gets a very tough first matchup against Philadelphia.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
08-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Chris Duffy cleared waivers and was sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Duffy hadn't played in the majors this season, but it's a mild surprise that he wasn't claimed. He doesn't seem to have much future in Pittsburgh.

Franquelis Osoria cleared waivers and will be sent to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Osoria could return as an innings eater for the Pirates in September.

Ronny Paulino (ankle) is expected to join Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday.

He's been on the DL since June with what was supposed to be a minor injury, but had been limited to rehab work in Florida thus far.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
08-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Adam LaRoche will begin a rehab assignment with Low-A Hickory on Monday.

He's starting at Low-A due to scheduling matters. He is eligible to come off the disabled list on Tuesday, but the plan for now is that he play in a couple of minor league games before being activated on Wednesday.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Freddy Sanchez said Tuesday that an inflamed right rotator cuff has caused him to miss three straight starts.

Sanchez pinch-hit in back-to-back games, so the Pirates can't be too concerned despite the fact that he underwent shoulder surgery during the offseason. "This is just going to take some rest and rehab when we get to the offseason," Sanchez said. "I'll have a chance to really get it strong and be ready." He's hoping to be back in the lineup Wednesday.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Jack Wilson (shoulder) could return to the lineup as soon as Thursday night.

Wilson has missed six straight starts, but the Pirates said Wednesday that they don't expect him to need a stint on the disabled list.

rotoworld

NYMetros
08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Left fielder Brandon Moss walked through the Pirates clubhouse Monday morning with a slight limp, but all reports on his sprained left ankle are that the injury will not keep him out for an extensive period of time.

Moss twisted the ankle in the seventh inning of Sunday's game when he knocked a ground ball toward first and went to leave the batter's box. Moss didn't make it a step before falling to the ground. He had to be helped off the field and was not able to put any pressure on the ankle after Sunday's game.

One day later, Moss' ankle was sore -- as expected -- but had no bruising or swelling.

"There wasn't a whole lot of swelling, which was great," manager John Russell said. "He said it almost felt normal today. It's a good sign."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080818&content_id=3328536&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

NYMetros
08-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Tom Gorzelanny is scheduled to start Saturday against the Cubs.

Jeff Karstens' start will be pushed back to Tuesday. Gorzelanny was 3-1 with a 2.06 ERA and a 33/4 K/BB ratio in seven starts at Triple-A, but only the most desperate fantasy leaguers should give him a look.

Rotoworld

NYMetros
08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Nate McLouth sat out a third straight game Friday due to a stomach ailment.

Mononucleosis tests came back negative. McLouth took a blood test Thursday, but the results won't be out until Sunday or Monday. It's not believed to be anything too serious.

Rotoworld

NYMetros
10-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Nyjer Morgan will skip winter ball in the Mexican Pacific League because of concerns about his injured hamstring.

Morgan will rest up instead and reappear at spring training.

rotoworld

NYMetros
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Chris Duffy went 2-for-5 and hit a three-run homer Saturday in his first game for Mazatlan of the Mexican Pacific League.

Two lost years in a row have taken a heavy toll on Duffy's stock, but he can't be completely written off yet. If the speedy center fielder finds his way to another organization this winter, he could get a chance to compete for a bench job in spring training.

-Roto

NYMetros
10-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Steve Pearce went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles Tuesday for Mazatlan of the MPL.

Pearce has yet to homer, but he's batting .367 with six doubles and five walks in 30 at-bats. He played quite well for the Pirates down the stretch, so he could be in contention to grab a job next spring.

Jim Negrych returned to West Oahu's lineup on Friday after missing two weeks of HWL action due to a finger injury.

Negrych, who hit .359/.438/.482 in a 2008 season spent mostly in high-A ball, went 0-for-3 with a walk in his return. He's 9-for-36 with three doubles and seven walks in Hawaii.

Rotoworld

Highcheese4U
11-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Pirates announce coaching staff at Triple-A Indianapolis

The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced that Jeff Branson and Ray Searage will serve as coaches for their Triple-A affiliate, the Indianapolis Indians, in 2009. The announcement was made by Pittsburgh's Director of Player Development Kyle Stark.

Branson, 41, will assume the duties as Hitting Coach with Indy after managing Class-A Lynchburg in 2007 and 2008. He has spent the last five seasons as a manager in the Pittsburgh organization after working as the Hitting Coach with Williamsport in 2003. An infielder during his playing days, Branson made his Major League debut with the Reds in 1992 and went on to play parts of nine seasons in the big leagues.

"We are excited to add Jeff Branson to our Indianapolis staff after a successful stint managing in the lower levels. Managing has prepared Jeff to be an even better coach as he positively impacts the development of our upper level position players. Jeff is a quality instructor on both sides of the ball and he also represents the values of this organization which will help make us better going forward."

The 53-year-old Searage will continue in his role as Pitching Coach with Indianapolis, a position he also held in 2008. He has spent the last six years with the Pittsburgh organization as a Pitching Coach in the Minor Leagues and has spent a total of 31 years in professional baseball as a player or coach.

"Ray Searage represents everything we value in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization and player development. He is a quality person and teacher with knowledge, passion, energy and a unique ability to connect with players in order to help them reach their potential. We are fortunate to have someone like Ray preparing our pitchers for the most difficult jump in their careers - from Triple-A to the Major Leagues."

In addition, Jose Ministral will serve as the Triple-A Athletic Trainer for the sixth time - his fourth season with Indianapolis - and Mubarak Malik returns for his fourth year as Indy's Strength & Conditioning Coordinator.

press release (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20081117&content_id=3681791&vkey=pr_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

Highcheese4U
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Pirates' top five international prospects

The Pirates' top five international prospects who have yet to play professionally in North America, according to Latin American scouting director Rene Gayo:

Starling Marte
Position: Left field

Size: 6-2, 180 pounds

Bats: Right-handed

Signed: 2006, $85,000

Career: Was Dominican Summer League MVP this year after batting .296 with nine home runs in 65 games. ... Played in Florida Instructional League afterward. ... Should play for Bradenton of Gulf Coast League next year.

Scouting: Has some of best power of any prospect in system. ... Strong arm. ... Weighed about 20 pounds less when signed, but has filled out into superb athlete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exicardo Cayones
Position: Center field

Size: 6-0, 175 pounds

Bats: Left-handed

Signed: This year, $400,000

Career: Bonus was richest in franchise history for Latin American amateur. ... Probably will play in Venezuelan Summer League next year.

Scouting: Exceptional speed should allow him to stay in center. "Prototype for the position," Gayo says. ... Smooth line-drive stroke to all fields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jodaneli Carvajal
Position: Shortstop

Size: 5-9, 165 pounds

Bats: Switch-hitter

Signed: This year, $350,000

Career: Bonus ranked second in franchise history. ... Probably will play in Dominican Summer League next year.

Scouting: Exemplary hands, strong arm and superb speed has some considering him Pirates' top defensive prospect. ... Has some room to grow but offense could be limited.

Rogelio Noris
Position: Left field

Size: 6-2, 195 pounds

Signed: 2007, $110,000

Career: Hit total of 15 home runs past two years in Venezuelan Summer League, batting .284 and .272. ... Will be with Bradenton of Gulf Coast League next year.

Scouting: In addition to rare power, advanced approach has brought some of best on-base, RBI numbers at his level. ... Management might regret, in hindsight, that he was not advanced to Bradenton sooner.

Yhonathan Barrios
Position: Shortstop

Size: 5-10, 180 pounds

Signed: This year, $250,000

Career: Starred at academy in homeland owned by Chicago White Sox shortstop Orlando Cabrera. ... Played in Florida Instructional League, a rarity for someone so young. ... Probably will play in Venezuelan Summer League next year.

Scouting: Good bat speed could bring power eventually. ... Future at shortstop is iffy, partly because of stocky build.

Linked (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08337/932031-63.stm)

SenecaValley46
12-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Pirates' top five international prospects

Linked (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08337/932031-63.stm)

How the **** are they allowed to sign 16 year olds :mad:

TheRedMarauder
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Pirates signed LHP Daniel Haigwood to a minor league contract.

Haigwood also received a spring training invite. He went 2-3 with one save and a 3.36 ERA in 38 games last season for Double-A Portland, an affiliate of the Red Sox. He hasn't pitched above that level.

rotoworld

Highcheese4U
01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Perez, Monroe sign minor-league deals

PITTSBURGH -- Outfielder Craig Monroe and catcher Miguel Perez agreed Tuesday to minor league contracts with the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Monroe hit .202 with eight home runs and 29 RBIs in 58 games with the Twins last season. He has a .253 career average with 112 homers and 417 RBIs in 780 games with the Rangers, Tigers, Cubs and Twins from 2001-08.

Monroe had a career-high 28 homers and 92 RBIs for the AL champion Tigers in 2006, but his production slipped to 12 homers and 59 RBIs in 122 games with the Tigers and Cubs in 2007.

Perez spent last season with the Pirates' Double-A Altoona farm club, hitting .281 with two homers and 22 RBIs in 57 games.

The Pirates' payroll is staying in the $50 million range, and they haven't gone after any high-priced offensive talent during the winter. They are hoping to get a comeback season from a power hitter such as Monroe, who turns 32 next month, without having to make a substantial investment in him.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3830270)

NYMetros
02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
The Pirates announced Saturday that manager John Russell's 2010 contract option has been exercised.

Russell went 67-95 in his first year with the ball club. "JR met or exceeded expectations in his first year as the Pirates manager," general manager Neal Huntington said in a club news release. "His club worked hard to play the game properly and battled from the first out until the last.

Rotoworld

NYMetros
02-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Slow-start talk out of LaRoche's mind

According to Adam LaRoche, this is the final time he's going to discuss this situation in length.

It's the last time LaRoche wants to have to go into detail about what he's going to change to offset his slow-start tendencies. It's the last time he wants to hear the question about what has made him such a notorious slow starter and why he can't make the necessary adjustments.

It's the last time, because LaRoche now wants it to be the last thing on his mind.

"From now on, my answer will be, 'I'm working,'" LaRoche said. "I hear it all the time. It gets old, and I don't want to get to where I hear it so much that I believe it. I think I'm mentally tough enough not to do that, but it doesn't help. So from now on, the answer is, 'I'm working on it.' That's all I can do."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090219&content_id=3851844&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

NYMetros
02-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Andy LaRoche still isn't taking part in full workouts and will miss the spring opener on Wednesday.

LaRoche did take some grounders and soft-toss batting practice in a limited session Sunday. He's been bothered by back spasms for the last four days. "I feel good," LaRoche said. "I tried to talk them into letting me go out there two days ago, but they want to take it slow."

Rotoworld

DieHardColtsfan
02-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Pirates Ink Ruben Gotay to Minor League Deal

Baseball America's Matt Eddy has the latest minor league transactions, including the Pirates' signing of Ruben Gotay.

Good Depth in case Freddy Sanchez goes down.

MooseWithFleas
02-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Or gets traded at the deadline :-x. He could be a FA after the year if he doesn't meet performances for the 2010 option

DieHardColtsfan
02-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Pirates Still Talking To Ohman

By Tim Dierkes [February 24 at 8:41am CST]
According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates are still talking to Will Ohman's agent. Kovacevic suggests a trade involving the Pirates' current top lefty, John Grabow, may be more likely. Grabow will be eligible for free agency after the season and has not been approached about an extension. My opinion: there might not be much of a market for Grabow until midseason.

About a week ago, ESPN's Jerry Crasnick learned that Ohman has offers in hand from the Pirates, Marlins, and Padres. MLB.com's Corey Brock followed up with the belief that San Diego is a long shot.

DieHardColtsfan
03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
By Ben Jones [March 2 at 6:11pm CST]

Highly-touted prospect Jose Tabata will have an MRI done on his right shoulder Tuesday after alerting the Pittsburgh Pirates' medical staff to some recent soreness, Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports.

General manager Neal Huntington told Langosch that the team's medical staff does not believe there is reason for serious concern. The MRI should help identify to doctors what is causing the outfielder discomfort.

Tabata was the marquee piece in last summer's trade that sent Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte to the New York Yankees. He quickly became one of the Pirates' top prospects and has already drawn unsolicited praise from manager John Russell this spring.

Tabata, 20, is 0-for-3 with three walks this spring.

Hold your Breathe

MooseWithFleas
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News has more quotes from Pedro. According to Rubin, Martinez "prefers retiring to his fishing boat if the alternative is accepting a Tom Glavine-like contract.

MLBTradeRumors

I know some of you were hoping to get Pedro at a low price, but it appears Pedro is not willing to accept a small offer.

Lincecum55
03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
West Virginia Power baby lol

WindyCityFlyer
04-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Pirates recalled C Robinzon Diaz from Triple-A Indianapolis.
Diaz takes the roster spot created by Ryan Doumit (wrist) hitting the DL, and if the Pirates give him enough playing time, his ability to hit for average could make an impact in NL-only leagues. Diaz was hitting .350 (7-for-20) with a double and three RBI in six games for Triple-A Indianapolis.

rotoworld.com

MooseWithFleas
05-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Yates on DL, Gorzelanny called up. For more, click here
(http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090517&content_id=4783098&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates on Sunday placed right-hander Tyler Yates on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation -- retroactive to Saturday -- and have recalled lefty Tom Gorzelanny from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Yates had made back-to-back scoreless appearances after struggling during a period when his ERA jumped as high as 8.71.

"Yates has been battling an inflamed right elbow for a while," Pirates manager John Russell said. "He got some work done, and we just need to get it calmed down, and we went ahead and put him on the DL, and after last night we needed some bullpen help, obviously. Gorzelanny was scheduled to start today, so that gives us plenty of backup as far as he can go up to over 100 pitches and gives us some depth.

"We don't want Tom Gorzelanny to be a left-hander out of the bullpen right now -- so the plan is to have him here for a short stay because we want him to continue the starting process down in Triple-A and to continue to get his innings, but right now he was the freshest arm to give us that many innings."

Gorzelanny was 1-1 with a 3.98 ERA and 36 strikeouts in seven starts (one complete game) this year with Indianapolis prior to being recalled by the Pirates. In three starts this month, Gorzelanny went 0-1 with a 2.89 ERA. In addition, he has also surrendered just two home runs this year -- including none over his past four outings.

"The reports on Gorzelanny were just OK," Russell said. "He's done OK -- he's still got some things we want him to accomplish as far as quality of pitches, strikes and be a little bit more efficient. It seems like he's making some progress, but we'd like him to continue that path because at some point, we're going to need him to come up and make a start for us."

The Pirates are hoping that Yates will return from the DL quickly.

"The doctors have looked at him, and there is nothing wrong structurally," Russell said. "He's pitched with it off and on for a couple of weeks. It just kept lingering and would feel good one day and not good the next, and we figured this is the time to let this thing calm down and get it right, and he'll be eligible to come off the DL on May 31st. All indications are he's going to be just fine."

"I'm disappointed to go on the DL, but I'm kind of relieved to get a little bit of rest," Yates said. "Basically, there is a lot of irritation and inflammation of the flexor tendon and tightness in my forearm. It's been going on for about five weeks now. I got a cortisone shot yesterday. Our bullpen needed some help, and it was a move I could see coming."

For a complete round up of Pirates injuries, click here (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/injuries.jsp#team134)

Highcheese4U
05-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Pittsburgh gets Hacker in exchange for Sanchez

PITTSBURGH -- The Pirates and Yankees swapped Minor League pitchers on Saturday, with Pittsburgh sending right-hander Romulo Sanchez to New York in exchange for righty Eric Hacker.

Hacker, 26, went 1-2 with a 6.03 ERA in six starts between Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season but was designated for assignment on May 9. The Pirates sent the Yankees' 23rd-round pick in the 2002 Draft to Indianapolis after the trade.

Hacker had more success in the past, with a career record of 30-15 and a 2.70 ERA in 75 games, and he was a South Atlantic League All-Star in 2005. To make room for him on the 40-man roster, Phil Dumatrait was moved from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.

The 25-year-old Sanchez had been pitching in relief for Indianapolis, posting a 4.38 ERA in 10 outings, striking out 15 over 12 1/3 innings. He made his big league debut in 2007, and has appeared in 26 Major League games between 2007 and 2008. He had one save and a 4.60 ERA in 31 1/3 career innings.

Link (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090516&content_id=4772230&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit)

Maholm28
06-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Hacker has some upside I guess

Highcheese4U
06-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Hacker actually surprised many in yanks ST...I think it was cashman or girardi that said he has some potential which is the reason I was puzzled we gave him up.

DieHardColtsfan
06-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Pirates Acquire Chris Snelling

By Eddie Schmid [June 10 at 6:21pm CST]
According to beat reporter Jen Langosch at MLBlogs, the Pirates have acquired outfielder Chris Snelling from the Padres for future considerations. He'll be assigned to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Snelling, 27, had signed a minor-league deal with the Pads in March. He's put up a .760 OPS in 93 games on various teams dating back to 2002.

mlbtr

Highcheese4U
06-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think we've gained much by getting Snelling.. he has been bouncing around doing a whole lot of nothing really :confused:

DieHardColtsfan
07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Pirates Release Craig Monroe

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 1 at 3:16pm CST]
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates released outfielder Craig Monroe. They designated him for assignment about ten days ago after a disappointing Pirates stint that saw him hit just .215/.287/.354.

mlbtr

AsfanSince99
07-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Just heard the pitcher you guys demoted, k'd 17 in a AAA game. Is he that good or are the hitters that bad?

Ian Snell fanned 13 batters in a row and 17 in all in seven scoreless innings Sunday in his first start since being demoted to Triple-A Indianapolis.

DieHardColtsfan
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Pirates claimed John Meloan "mlbtr"

RP from the Rays..

burgh_fan66
09-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Good note here. Lynchburg went up 2-0 in the Carolina Mills Cup championship. They are only one win away from capturing the title. Justin Wilson and Rudy Owens (Uviedo got the win) started games 1 and 2 respectively. Both had good perfromances. Jeff Locke gets the first shot to close it out tomorrow.

DieHardColtsfan
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Pirates To Sign Brian Burres, Neal Cotts, Tyler Yates

The Pirates agreed to terms on minor league contracts with pitchers Brian Burres, Neal Cotts, and Tyler Yates today, according to a team press release.

Burres, 29 in April, spent the season with the Blue Jays' Triple A affiliate after being claimed off waivers from Baltimore in February. He posted a 7.0 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, and seemingly-undeserved 4.76 ERA in 107.6 innings.

Cotts, 30 in March, had Tommy John surgery in July and was non-tendered by the Cubs after the season. Yates, 32, also had Tommy John surgery in July and was outrighted by the Bucs in October.

In pursuit to address bullpen needs.

DieHardColtsfan
01-14-2010, 01:10 AM
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2010/01/13/carrasco.aspx

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Pirates and right-handed reliever D.J. Carrasco have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

If Carrasco makes the team, he will make $950,000 in base pay plus as much as $250,000 in performance bonuses based on appearances.

There has been no signing yet.

Carrasco, 32, had a 3.76 ERA in 49 appearances last season, and his 89 1/3 innings out of a long role led American League relievers. Chicago, citing budget pressure, declined to tender him an offer toward arbitration in what would have been his first year of eligibility, thus making him a free agent.

This is Carrasco's official page.

It was reported in the Post-Gazette this morning that the Pirates were close to agreements with Carrasco, Octavio Dotel and a third right-handed reliever. There was no further word on the other two.

The 40-man roster is full, so two players will have to come off, as the third reliever is expected to get a major league contract.

burgh_fan66
01-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Carrasco is a very good cheap signing. He looks to be the front runner for the long relief job now.

DieHardColtsfan
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Free agent reliever Octavio Dotel is close to signing with the Pirates, tweets MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch. Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse first tweeted the news that Dotel was getting close to signing a deal.

The 36-year-old righty is coming off a season in which he earned $6MM for his usual double-digit K/9 and ERA in the threes. Dotel is closing in on 100 career saves, a club that's not as exclusive as I would have guessed.

Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse

MooseWithFleas
01-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Tim Alderson is chatting with fans at Baseballamerica.com right now

DieHardColtsfan
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Rays Acquire Virgil Vasquez

The Rays acquired Virgil Vasquez from the Pirates for a player to be named later, according to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. We heard yesterday that the two clubs were talking about a possible deal involving Vasquez.

The 27-year-old right-hander appeared in 14 games for the Pirates last year. He pitched to a 5.84 ERA in 44.2 innings, with 5.8 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9. Vasquez also made 19 starts at Triple A, where he posted a 3.93 ERA with 6.0 K/9 and 1.3 BB/9. He combined an 89 mph fastball with a slider, a curve and a change-up last year, according to FanGraphs.

according to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

hineswardfan
05-16-2010, 01:34 AM
any new news?...

NYY NYJ NYK
08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Top 10 Prospect list

1. Jameson Taillon, rhp
The next Josh Beckett signed for a franchise-record $6.5 million.

2. Stetson Allie, rhp
He and Taillon had the two best arms in the 2010 draft.

3. Tony Sanchez, c
Broken jaw in June has been lone setback for 2009 first-rounder.

4. Luis Heredia, rhp
Projectable 6-foot-6, 185-pounder already throws 92-93 mph.

5. Starling Marte, of
Speedster has hit .319/.388/.432 in full-season ball.

6. Jeff Locke, lhp
Part of the Nate McLouth trade, he has a solid four-pitch mix.

7. Andrew Lambo, of
Former Dodgers No. 1 prospect just arrived in the Octavio Dotel deal.

8. Bryan Morris, rhp
Flashes a low-90s fastball and downer curve; needs to stay healthy

9. Chase d'Arnaud, ss/2b
Not having his best year, but profiles as a steady middle infielder.

10. Rudy Owens, lhp
He keeps succeeding with very good command of fringy stuff.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2010/2610558.html