PDA

View Full Version : Official Prospect Thread (2008 Remix)

Pages : [1] 2

RedSoxtober
12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
The Sox lost two pitchers in the Rule V draft at the Winter Meetings: Jose Capellan (SFG) and Lincoln Holdzkom (PHI).

Holdzkom opened eyes this year, posting a 1.59era and 6.0 go/ao in 17 apps at the end of the AAA season and then holding opponents to a .087 avg in the AFL (10K/4bb in 7ip).

Capellan, a lefty, has posted some very nice numbers and was a cornerstone to the 2006 GCL Red Sox championship. Capellan has been a starter and it'll be interesting to see if SFG sticks him in the BP for the year just to keep him. He was signed as an international FA in 2003 as a 16yr old and is only 21 now.

Previous Volumes

Volume One (http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21347)

NewSoxDynasty
12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
The Sox lost two pitchers in the Rule V draft at the Winter Meetings: Jose Capellan (SFG) and Lincoln Holdzkom (PHI).

Holdzkom opened eyes this year, posting a 1.59era and 6.0 go/ao in 17 apps at the end of the AAA season and then holding opponents to a .087 avg in the AFL (10K/4bb in 7ip).

Capellan, a lefty, has posted some very nice numbers and was a cornerstone to the 2006 GCL Red Sox championship. Capellan has been a starter and it'll be interesting to see if SFG sticks him in the BP for the year just to keep him. He was signed as an international FA in 2003 as a 16yr old and is only 21 now.

Previous Volumes

Volume One (http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21347)

Yeah. I read that. I was shocked the Sox didn't make a pick in this year's rule 5 draft. They've had some success with it in the past. I think Bronson Aroyo was a rule 5 pick wasn't he?

bosox3431
12-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah. I read that. I was shocked the Sox didn't make a pick in this year's rule 5 draft. They've had some success with it in the past. I think Bronson Aroyo was a rule 5 pick wasn't he?

No, but Adam Stern, Javier Lopez and Lenny Dinardo all was.

RedSoxtober
12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
No, but Adam Stern, Javier Lopez and Lenny Dinardo all was.

Lopez came to the Sox in a trade. He may have been a rule V somewhere else but not for BOS.

The Sox made no pick because there is no room on the roster. A rule V pick has to stay on the MLB roster for the entire season or be returned (at least offered) to the team from which he was selected. There is nowhere to put a pick.

BTW, Johan Santana was a rule V pick!

bosox3431
12-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Lopez came to the Sox in a trade. He may have been a rule V somewhere else but not for BOS.

The Sox made no pick because there is no room on the roster. A rule V pick has to stay on the MLB roster for the entire season or be returned (at least offered) to the team from which he was selected. There is nowhere to put a pick.

BTW, Johan Santana was a rule V pick!

I should have pointed out in my post he was a Rule V pick by the Sox in 02, and they traded him to Col, then he went to Ari, then back to col, then CWS, the they traded him to us

bosox3431
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rob_bradford/index.php/2007/12/06/lobby-blogging-the-gagne-watch/

The Red Sox have acquired a player, scooping up catcher Juan Apodaca from the Reds for cash considerations. Apodaca was selected by the Reds from the Dodgers in the Triple A portion of the Rule 5 Draft. He played for the Dodgers' Double A team last season.

2007 Season
Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
JAX SOU .000 3 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 .000 .000 .000
GLL MID .259 58 205 23 53 6 1 8 27 85 16 39 2 0 .323 .415 .738
Minors .249 61 213 23 53 6 1 8 27 85 16 41 2 0 .312 .399 .711
2007 Winter League
Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
CAR VWL .375 7 16 4 6 2 0 1 2 11 0 3 0 0 .444 .688 1.132

Wake's Fastball
12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Looks like a good pickup, very high OBP and seems to have a bit of pop. Any read on how his defense is?

bosox3431
12-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks like a good pickup, very high OBP and seems to have a bit of pop. Any read on how his defense is?

I couldnt find anything, I read somewhere he's been compared to Ivan Rodriguez in Dominican newspapers. And his OBP does look really good especially for having such a low batting avg, plus he only 21-22 y.o. and has plenty of time to develop more, and we only gave up cash.

EDIT: I just found this on sox prospects

Scouting Report: Apodaca has good catching skills and a strong arm. Works with pitchers well. Not much bat, average power. Gets a lot of big hits. Below average speed overall, about average speed for a catcher. Small frame. Showing promise in 2007 Venezuelan Winter League.

Wake's Fastball
12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Seems pretty solid.

As a side note (to clarify a bit), we got him in the AAA Rule V draft, meaning he doesn't have to sit on our major league roster if we want to keep him.

bosox3431
12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Seems pretty solid.

As a side note (to clarify a bit), we got him in the AAA Rule V draft, meaning he doesn't have to sit on our major league roster if we want to keep him.

yea, and the way I understand it, they can place him at any level they want

MVPOrtiz201
12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Seems like a nice pickup.

BobbyOrr#4
12-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a guy who will start in Pawtucket and be watched closely.The Sox need to figure out who the backup catcher will be,although I have a feelilng that we will have Maribelli for one more season.

MVPOrtiz201
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Sounds like a guy who will start in Pawtucket and be watched closely.The Sox need to figure out who the backup catcher will be,although I have a feelilng that we will have Maribelli for one more season.

I really hope not. I would much rather have Kottaras as our backup.

RedSoxtober
12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Seems pretty solid.

To be ultra picky, the Reds drafted him and then we bought him from them, though the minor league placement stuff is all true.

Not much impressing me there honestly. BaseballProspectus has his VORP at an abysmal -9 (avg over his first three years) and his FRAA at -10. In other words, below the typical replacement player at the plate and behind the plate. My guess is that he's filler at AA (INDie Dennis Blackmon probably there, too) with Dusty Brown and Kottaras splitting time in PAW.

good spliff
01-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Great pickup for the Giants in Capellan, 21 years old still? And has posted great numbers.

good spliff
01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Double Post sorry

Wake's Fastball
01-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Great pickup for the Giants in Capellan, 21 years old still? And has posted great numbers.

He's got a solid future ahead of him, but he's never pitched above Lowell, which is basically a rookie league, and even there his numbers were good, but hardly exceptional. I'll be surprised if he has a whole lot of success in the majors next season.

evasiveanswers
01-19-2008, 01:24 AM
He's got a solid future ahead of him, but he's never pitched above Lowell, which is basically a rookie league, and even there his numbers were good, but hardly exceptional. I'll be surprised if he has a whole lot of success in the majors next season.

He'll probably be offered back and taken back. Not enough experience to be successful in the majors.

JHG722
01-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Was Holdzkom a good pick up for my hometown team?

RedSoxtober
01-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Was Holdzkom a good pick up for my hometown team?

For $25K, sure. I wouldn't hold my breath for a lot from him. He's a fringe RP IMO.

boston rocks
01-24-2008, 04:00 PM
check some of these players out if we keep most of them together, i see a nasty rotation and decent rotation very soon

all these players have 2008-2009 etas

clay buccholz
jacoby ellsbury
justin masterson-late 2008
jed lowerie-mid 2008
michael bowden-2009
nick hagadone-mid 2009
brandon moss-mid 2008
aaron bates-2009
kris johnson-2009
chris carter-mid 2008
mark wagner-late 2009
george kottaras-late 2008
bryce cox-2009

how do u think these guys project to the majors and wat type of impact can they make for the team.

boston rocks
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
they have a bunch of catchers just no real great ones in there system.

Nickday
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
no way, dude. there was an article recently comparing dusty brown to jason varitek! and said something like over this offseason dusty had blown past the other catchers in the system as the closest to being major league ready

Tragedy
01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I have to say, I'm quite excited to see Justin Masterson, hopefully in 2008. If he can produce well in April/May/June, and one of our relievers does not pitch well (Snyder? Timlin? I don't know), he would have to be a good bet to be called up.

boston rocks
01-24-2008, 11:24 PM
i dont no about brown being compared to v tek. i like kottaras better than him anuyway. im VERY excited to see masterson pitch, some say he will be a bust but from wat ive seen he looks like he can be very good. im also curios to see clay pitch a full season

terriblemente69
01-24-2008, 11:37 PM
We don't have a good catching prospect. Kottaras, Brown, Wagner and Weeden aren't our answer to the future, we need to draft a good catching prospect this year and/or we can try to trade for guys like Jeff Clement (blocked by Johjima) or Chris Iannetta, but we need a young catcher to replace Tek in the future, he is getting older in front of our eyes

boston rocks
01-25-2008, 01:20 AM
yea, i agree if we get a good catcher, we would basicaly have a dominant team, in the future

RedSoxtober
01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
check some of these players out if we keep most of them together, i see a nasty rotation and decent rotation very soon

all these players have 2008-2009 etas

clay buccholz
jacoby ellsbury
justin masterson-late 2008
jed lowerie-mid 2008
michael bowden-2009
nick hagadone-mid 2009
brandon moss-mid 2008
aaron bates-2009
kris johnson-2009
chris carter-mid 2008
mark wagner-late 2009
george kottaras-late 2008
bryce cox-2009

how do u think these guys project to the majors and wat type of impact can they make for the team.

Wayyyyy too aggressive projecting all of these kids.

IMO, Buchholz is starting at Pawtucket. If you read his latest interviews from when he was in Boston for the rookie prep thing you can tell that he knows it, too. He's already making statements about "what's best for the team". The issue with him (and all the other pitchers) is innings. The Sox want those guys gradually built up to around 185IP before totally turning them loose. The only way that happens for Clay is for him to have some heavy limits on him early.

Masterson might be the closest projection. The end of 2008 is pretty reasonable, especially if they move him to the BP to take advantage of his heavy sinker in the late innings. The combination of that and missing bats could be lethal on opponents.

Barring injury, Lowrie won't see the inside of Fenway until September. He's blocked by Lugo and Cora's a better sub. Besides, he tanked in the AFL and needs to play every day if he's going to get everything down; riding the bench does nothing for his career at this point. A more likely route, IMO, is that he plays in someone else's IF. His upside is less than both Argenis Dias and Oscar Tejada and the latter two project into MLB closer to the end of Lugo's contract. Lowrie probably becomes a sought-after trade piece this year.

Personally I'm not as sold on Bowden as when he got promoted out of here (Greenville, 2006). He and Bates are in a similar situation -- they slowed down significantly when they hit AA. I expect they'll both pick things up again (Bowden did eventually find his groove) but not in time to make any significant impact in 2009.

Hagadone in 2009? NO. He threw a whopping dozen or so professional innings last year. They babied him big time. They'll probably peg him at 145IP give or take this year and progress him into the rotation in 2010 or '11.

Chris Carter seems more and more to be a AAAA type. He might get a few cameos if Youk or Lowell get injured (like Bailey did last year) and is a dark horse to make the roster as the LHB IF they're looking for... but don't hold your breath. Defensively he's weak and we don't need that with Lugo flinging things from SS.

Kris Johnson... no clue. He's been brilliant and subpar. I'm not convinced of him either way at the moment... but certainly not going to make any impact in 2009. My guess would be more like 2011 and he scratches at the back end.

Realistically, how does Kottaras debut late 2008 and Wagner in late 2009? Are we ditching 'Tek after this year and handing things over to Kottaras? Objectively, it cannot happen. As mentioned above, Dusty Brown has jumped Kottaras on the depth chart; he's vastly superior to Kottaras whom we are now finding out is much more of a project than a polished product. The biggest problem will be the log jam at C in PAW... unless Dougie doesn't make the club and Cash does. Kottaras was a very good hitter but, having switched to baseball from fast pitch softball at 15, his baseball defense is lacking. Wagner is a good defensive catcher and hits much better than I'd expected, but he's clearly a ways away. More likely that Brown makes it in 2008 or '09, Kottaras remains filler at AAA for the rest of his career and Wagner or Blackmon come on the scene in 2-3 years.

Bryce Cox... umm, did you see what he did last season? His perfromance ranged from bad to terrible. Even when he was demoted from Portland all the way back to Greenville (ostensibly for an injury/rehab but he never made it back) he was terrible here. He'd have one good outing and three bad. The one-time closer candidate looks like he harnessed everything for half a season in 2006 and cannot find it.

boston rocks
01-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Wayyyyy too aggressive projecting all of these kids.

IMO, Buchholz is starting at Pawtucket. If you read his latest interviews from when he was in Boston for the rookie prep thing you can tell that he knows it, too. He's already making statements about "what's best for the team". The issue with him (and all the other pitchers) is innings. The Sox want those guys gradually built up to around 185IP before totally turning them loose. The only way that happens for Clay is for him to have some heavy limits on him early.

Masterson might be the closest projection. The end of 2008 is pretty reasonable, especially if they move him to the BP to take advantage of his heavy sinker in the late innings. The combination of that and missing bats could be lethal on opponents.

Barring injury, Lowrie won't see the inside of Fenway until September. He's blocked by Lugo and Cora's a better sub. Besides, he tanked in the AFL and needs to play every day if he's going to get everything down; riding the bench does nothing for his career at this point. A more likely route, IMO, is that he plays in someone else's IF. His upside is less than both Argenis Dias and Oscar Tejada and the latter two project into MLB closer to the end of Lugo's contract. Lowrie probably becomes a sought-after trade piece this year.

Personally I'm not as sold on Bowden as when he got promoted out of here (Greenville, 2006). He and Bates are in a similar situation -- they slowed down significantly when they hit AA. I expect they'll both pick things up again (Bowden did eventually find his groove) but not in time to make any significant impact in 2009.

Hagadone in 2009? NO. He threw a whopping dozen or so professional innings last year. They babied him big time. They'll probably peg him at 145IP give or take this year and progress him into the rotation in 2010 or '11.

Chris Carter seems more and more to be a AAAA type. He might get a few cameos if Youk or Lowell get injured (like Bailey did last year) and is a dark horse to make the roster as the LHB IF they're looking for... but don't hold your breath. Defensively he's weak and we don't need that with Lugo flinging things from SS.

Kris Johnson... no clue. He's been brilliant and subpar. I'm not convinced of him either way at the moment... but certainly not going to make any impact in 2009. My guess would be more like 2011 and he scratches at the back end.

Realistically, how does Kottaras debut late 2008 and Wagner in late 2009? Are we ditching 'Tek after this year and handing things over to Kottaras? Objectively, it cannot happen. As mentioned above, Dusty Brown has jumped Kottaras on the depth chart; he's vastly superior to Kottaras whom we are now finding out is much more of a project than a polished product. The biggest problem will be the log jam at C in PAW... unless Dougie doesn't make the club and Cash does. Kottaras was a very good hitter but, having switched to baseball from fast pitch softball at 15, his baseball defense is lacking. Wagner is a good defensive catcher and hits much better than I'd expected, but he's clearly a ways away. More likely that Brown makes it in 2008 or '09, Kottaras remains filler at AAA for the rest of his career and Wagner or Blackmon come on the scene in 2-3 years.

Bryce Cox... umm, did you see what he did last season? His perfromance ranged from bad to terrible. Even when he was demoted from Portland all the way back to Greenville (ostensibly for an injury/rehab but he never made it back) he was terrible here. He'd have one good outing and three bad. The one-time closer candidate looks like he harnessed everything for half a season in 2006 and cannot find it.

im not making the predictions, i got them from sox prospects.com

RedSoxtober
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
im not making the predictions, i got them from sox prospects.com

Okay, then SoxProspects.com is wrong. They tend to project the best possible case for each player in a vacuum. That is they project that player making MLB based solely on their possible performance, as if they were the only prospect at that position.

-Lavigne43-
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
baseballprospectus top 100 prospects (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7092)

2. Clay Buchholz
16. Jacoby Ellsbury
53. Justin Masterson
57. Jed Lowrie
60. Ryan Kalish
95. Michael Bowden
100. Lars Anderson

-Lavigne43-
01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Espn top 100 prospects (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=3221365&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dlaw_kei th%26id%3d3221365)

4. Clay Buchholz

Buchholz didn't quite get the cult following of Joba, but made a name for himself by throwing a no-hitter in his second big league start. Buchholz is an unusual pitching prospect in that he already brings two plus secondary pitches to the table, including one of the best right-handed changeups in the game today, with good tumble and fading action, and he sells it well with perfect arm speed. If his changeup is a solid 70 on the 20-80 scale, his curve projects as no worse than a 60, with a sharp, accelerating downward break. His fastball is just average at 89-94, but he commands it well and gets good downhill plane from a high release point. He is a superb athlete who (so the story goes) outran Jacoby Ellsbury in the 60-yard dash when they were teammates at Lowell. And because he's quick to the plate, he should do well in controlling the running game.
19.Jacoby Ellsbury

It'll be hard for Ellsbury to top his 2007 big league performance, capped off with a world championship and plenty of pink "ELLSBURY" T-shirts spotted around town, and there's a logjam in the Boston outfield right now that will hold his playing time down, barring a trade. Ellsbury's calling card is his defense, with Gold Glove potential -- as in deserving one, since the winners of that award aren't always the most deserving candidates -- and the raw speed to help him play the difficult center field in Fenway. That speed, coupled with good baserunning instincts, makes him a threat to steal 40-plus bags per year at a high success rate, which is a must in the Red Sox's stat-savvy system. At the plate, Ellsbury has a quick, slashing stroke, generating line drives and using the whole field, limiting his potential home run peak to 10-15. He also has excellent plate discipline, making him an ideal leadoff hitter regardless of your school of thought on what a good leadoff hitter should be. There's no wonder he's coveted by other teams when the Sox come calling for established stars.
28. Lars Anderson

The Sox ponied up for Anderson late in the 2006 draft, and he already is a better prospect than either of their first-round picks from that year. He is a left-handed hitter who projects to hit for average and power with great OBPs. His plate discipline and pitch recognition are outstanding for a prospect of any age, much less a soon-to-be 20-year-old in high Class A ball. He has a simple swing and takes a direct path to the ball, so he can let it travel and use the entire field. He shows plus raw power in batting practice, and he has room to fill out and become a 30-plus home run hitter once he changes his approach to pull balls middle-in, but that might not come for another year or two. He also is a good defensive first baseman and a fringe-average runner. A big year at Double-A would push him up to the top 10 for next offseason.

55. Jed Lowrie

Lowrie has transformed himself since his time as a second baseman at Stanford, where he put up excellent offensive stats with an extreme metal-bat swing and was below-average defensively. Now he's a capable hitter from both sides of the plate with a real (that means wood) bat, and he's good enough defensively to handle shortstop every day in the majors. Lowrie centers the ball extremely well -- the one thing that has carried over from college -- and takes a short path to the ball. He shows more strength in his swing from the right side, but his left-handed swing is very compact with good extension at the end, and he should be a legitimate switch-hitter in the majors. On defense, his range should be adequate at short, and his transfer on the double play is lightning-quick. He could step in right now and play short (or second) for a number of big league clubs, and he has to be putting pressure on the Sox to think about moving Julio Lugo.
58. Justin Masterson

Masterson has worked primarily as a starter in college and in the minors, but his future is in the bullpen. He's a two-pitch pitcher who comes from a low three-quarter slot, generating plus sink on a fastball that's 85-89 mph when he's pitching in the rotation but has been comfortably in the low 90s when he's relieved in the past. He has a tight low-80s slider with a short and very sharp break that gives him his best chance to miss bats. His changeup is well below average, and it's hard to turn a pitch like that over from his arm slot; as a result, lefties have hit him increasingly hard as he's moved up the ladder. He should appear in the Red Sox's pen this year.

Wake's Fastball
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
baseballprospectus top 100 prospects (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7092)

2. Clay Buchholz
16. Jacoby Ellsbury
53. Justin Masterson
57. Jed Lowrie
60. Ryan Kalish
95. Michael Bowden
100. Lars Anderson

BP really likes Kalish alot.

On a side note, Engel Beltre (he of Eric Gagne-trade fame) was ranked 62 on their list.

boston rocks
02-01-2008, 03:15 PM
i didnt know much about beltre until the trade, he is a 5 tool player. i though it was a decent trade but he sucked this year gagne couldve blew the season if he got enough chances. wat did we get for him?

-Lavigne43-
02-01-2008, 08:56 PM
BP really likes Kalish alot.

On a side note, Engel Beltre (he of Eric Gagne-trade fame) was ranked 62 on their list.

Pretty bad ranking. I don't know what he did with the Rangers but he was average at best here and he wasn't really considered one of our top prospects.

quiksilver2491
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Pretty bad ranking. I don't know what he did with the Rangers but he was average at best here and he wasn't really considered one of our top prospects.

Laxtonto - Beltre hit 9 HR in 209 ABs, has the best arm in the deep Texas system, and hit an OPS of 971 in the AFL League in 22 games at the age of 17.

Well I knew he had potential but he just never really showed it. I kinda regreted getting rid of him at the time because I had a feeling he would do something like this but we have a tendency for getting rid of our highly ranked IFA's, hopefully we will decide to keep Almanzar. I still think he is ranked a bit high but to think he is only 10 spots behind F-Mart and is younger is kind of annoying when you think about who we got in return.

boston rocks
02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
kalish might be a bit high

RedSoxtober
02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Well I knew he had potential but he just never really showed it. I kinda regreted getting rid of him at the time because I had a feeling he would do something like this but we have a tendency for getting rid of our highly ranked IFA's, hopefully we will decide to keep Almanzar. I still think he is ranked a bit high but to think he is only 10 spots behind F-Mart and is younger is kind of annoying when you think about who we got in return.

Don't be overly encouraged by hitters in the AFL. The entire league is comparable to where the A+ JetHawks play -- complete hitters league. Beltre benefitted from playing shortseason ball and then hitting against guys who'd played a full season.. they were a bit more worn down.

boston rocks
02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
i think beltre has alot of potential but not the 62nd bes, maybe in 2 yrs

quiksilver2491
02-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Don't be overly encouraged by hitters in the AFL. The entire league is comparable to where the A+ JetHawks play -- complete hitters league. Beltre benefitted from playing shortseason ball and then hitting against guys who'd played a full season.. they were a bit more worn down.

I agree his stats may be inflated but the kid has still got potential. I don't understand why you deal players like him because they have tons of upside but their value isn't too great. Sure he could regress and be worth nothing but then again he wouldn't be worth too much to begin with but whatever our farm is deep with outfielders anyways.

boston rocks
02-02-2008, 11:49 PM
we traded him because we thought gagne was good....

quiksilver2491
02-03-2008, 12:56 AM
we traded him because we thought gagne was good....

Im pretty sure the Rangers would have made the move with out him and with another guy in his place, its not like he was the key player in the trade.

Wake's Fastball
02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree his stats may be inflated but the kid has still got potential. I don't understand why you deal players like him because they have tons of upside but their value isn't too great. Sure he could regress and be worth nothing but then again he wouldn't be worth too much to begin with but whatever our farm is deep with outfielders anyways.

If Gagne had come in here and been his 2003 self, there'd have been no complaints about the deal. As is, I'm still not upset that we dealt Beltre. BP has Ellsbury and Kalish ranked above Beltre in their rankings, and we've got a couple other guys, Josh Reddick and Che-Hsuan Lin, who I think stand just as good (or better in Reddick's case) of become productive MLB outfielders as Beltre.

-Lavigne43-
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Rotoworld's top ten Red Sox prospects (http://rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&articleid=29914&pg=2)

Wake's Fastball
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Rotoworld's top ten Red Sox prospects (http://rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&articleid=29914&pg=2)

:pity: Bard at 9.

butters
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Kottaras is in the top 15?

quiksilver2491
02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
If Gagne had come in here and been his 2003 self, there'd have been no complaints about the deal. As is, I'm still not upset that we dealt Beltre. BP has Ellsbury and Kalish ranked above Beltre in their rankings, and we've got a couple other guys, Josh Reddick and Che-Hsuan Lin, who I think stand just as good (or better in Reddick's case) of become productive MLB outfielders as Beltre.

I never complained about the Gagne deal in that post. I also stated that I know we have a lot of great OF prospects so Beltre wasn't neccessary. With that said it still would have been nice to have him in case our other prospects are busts or we could also have used him as trade bait for a good player if he started to perform well. I just think its stupid to trade a 17 year old player with his upside when his value is pretty low, and that has nothing to do with who we got in return (Gagne).

Wake's Fastball
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I never complained about the Gagne deal in that post. I also stated that I know we have a lot of great OF prospects so Beltre wasn't neccessary. With that said it still would have been nice to have him in case our other prospects are busts or we could also have used him as trade bait for a good player if he started to perform well. I just think its stupid to trade a 17 year old player with his upside when his value is pretty low, and that has nothing to do with who we got in return (Gagne).

Oh, I understand you weren't complaining about the deal. I'm just saying if Gagne comes in here and posts a 2.00 for the next 3 years, you'd probably give up 3 Beltres to get him. I don't really think we dealt him that far below value either. Based on how Gagne was performing at the break, I think a back-of-the-rotation starter and a career fourth outfielder by themselves wouldn't have gotten the job done. The Sox were also less than thrilled by Beltre's lackadaisical work ethic, which is really bad for a 17-year-old as raw as Beltre. I guess only time will tell if it was stupid to get rid of him.

terriblemente69
02-06-2008, 02:27 AM

I don't like it (Bard at 9, Bowden ahead of masterson) but it's only one more list

quiksilver2491
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Oh, I understand you weren't complaining about the deal. I'm just saying if Gagne comes in here and posts a 2.00 for the next 3 years, you'd probably give up 3 Beltres to get him. I don't really think we dealt him that far below value either. Based on how Gagne was performing at the break, I think a back-of-the-rotation starter and a career fourth outfielder by themselves wouldn't have gotten the job done. The Sox were also less than thrilled by Beltre's lackadaisical work ethic, which is really bad for a 17-year-old as raw as Beltre. I guess only time will tell if it was stupid to get rid of him.

Ohhh I didn't understand what you were trying to say at first but now I got ya. You make some good points and I just hope that we have our own prospects pan out well so we won't have to worry about what could have been.

boston rocks
02-10-2008, 08:21 AM
check out soxprospects.com i think these rankings are a little more accurate

ThreeIfBaerga
02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm an active member of SoxProspects.com, those guy really know what they're talking about.

boston rocks
02-13-2008, 03:25 PM
thye have some nice scouting reports, but i think there rankings are off a bit

-Lavigne43-
02-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Baseball America Top 100 Prospects (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2008/265655.html)

04 CLAY
BUCHHOLZ RHP, REDS SOX
2: Big league starts it took him to throw a no-hitter.
Opening
Day Age: 23 ETA: 2008

13 JACOBY
ELLSBURY OF, RED SOX
438: His team-high batting average in Boston's World Series sweep.
Opening
Day Age: 24 ETA: 2008

40 LARS
ANDERSON 1B, REDS SOX
10: Number of his 11 homers in 2007 that went to center or the opposite field.
Opening
Day Age: 20 ETA: 2010

64 JUSTIN
MASTERSON RHP, RED SOX
8: Homers he has allowed in 185 pro innings, thanks to his heavy sinker.
Opening
Day Age: 23 ETA: 2009

73 JED
LOWRIE SS, RED SOX
.896: His OPS last year, tops among minor league shortstops.
Opening
Day Age: 23 ETA: 2008

94 MICHAEL
BOWDEN RHP, RED SOX
1.37: His ERA with hitter-friendly Lancaster in 2007; the rest of the JetHawks combined for a 5.64 ERA.
Opening
Day Age: 21 ETA: 2009

96 RYAN
KALISH OF, RED SOX
.368: His average in 23 New York-Penn League games last year, before an errant pitch broke his hamate bone
Opening
Day Age: 19 ETA: 2010

papipapsmanny
02-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Who was the best redsox prospect that didnt make BAs top 100

Im gonna say its between, SS Oscar Tejada SS/3B Will Middlebrooks, and SP Nick Hagadone

Wake's Fastball
02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I really like Hagadone, and at the moment, I think he's more highly regarded than Tejeda or Middlebrooks. However, the two hitters have more upside in my opinion.

bosox3431
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Josh Reddick is pretty good, although not as good as others mentioned

vince wilfort
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I really like Aaron Bates. If he puts up anything close to his numbers in Portland and Pawtucket, he could be one of the best prospects in baseball. He may not be the best to not make the list, but he goes under the radar by many Red Sox fans.

ThreeIfBaerga
02-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Out of those three, I'd say Nick Hagadone. Hagadone is a power (FB gets up to 98) lefty with a sharp slider and developing change. If he can get his change to be at least average and develop another pitch, even as just a show-me pitch, he's got great potential as a starter.

I'm a huge Reddick fan, but he has yet to play above Greenville, although he could put out 35 in Lancaster this year. Middlebrooks and Tejeda are exciting, yes, but Middlebrooks hasn't played a game yet and as much hype as Tejeda has been getting, he hasn't really done anything except shown the ability to hit in the .290s in the lower minors. I understand he's got great tools, but he hasn't shown anything.

You want someone to watch out for? Anthony Rizzo. He's been getting tons of hype from Sox brass, and people are comparing him to Lars in terms of polish.

Wake's Fastball
02-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Out of those three, I'd say Nick Hagadone. Hagadone is a power (FB gets up to 98) lefty with a sharp slider and developing change. If he can get his change to be at least average and develop another pitch, even as just a show-me pitch, he's got great potential as a starter.

I'm a huge Reddick fan, but he has yet to play above Greenville, although he could put out 35 in Lancaster this year. Middlebrooks and Tejeda are exciting, yes, but Middlebrooks hasn't played a game yet and as much hype as Tejeda has been getting, he hasn't really done anything except shown the ability to hit in the .290s in the lower minors. I understand he's got great tools, but he hasn't shown anything.

You want someone to watch out for? Anthony Rizzo. He's been getting tons of hype from Sox brass, and people are comparing him to Lars in terms of polish.

I like Rizzo alot as well. Him and Mailman were both terrific steals in the draft last year.

RedSoxtober
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Don't forget that Tejada did that at 18! He's generally playing 2-3 years younger than his peers.

I think the sleeper is Argenis Diaz rather than Rizzo. There's a reason the Sox put him on their 40-man roster despite not playing outside here in Greenville. Defensively he's been spectacular.

BigShowShoot
02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
He may be young, but i cant wait to see what Michael Almanzar becomes.. Some say he has just as much potential as Villalona of the Giants. I also cant wait to see what Tejada and Hagadone got in them.

ThreeIfBaerga
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I definitely understand the love for Tejeda, but I'd like to see him actually hit before I annoint him the next Hanley, who actually put up OPS' in the high .800's to mid-.900s. He's got all the tools, but I refuse to get excited until he actually does something with them.

I will, however, continue to be bitter about Pedro Alvarez and Rick Porcello (Damn you Julio Lugo!).

boston rocks
02-28-2008, 05:32 PM
i like osacr tejada, if he continues get better and play at the level he has been playing, while getting experience i think he and masterson in the middle infield should be a pretty good combo, of course pending trades...etc...i also read that he could play at 3b, maybe when lowels contract is up, he will get a chance. i think hes 19 or 18 right now, so hell only be 21 yrs old.

bosox3431
02-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I definitely understand the love for Tejeda, but I'd like to see him actually hit before I annoint him the next Hanley, who actually put up OPS' in the high .800's to mid-.900s. He's got all the tools, but I refuse to get excited until he actually does something with them.

I will, however, continue to be bitter about Pedro Alvarez and Rick Porcello (Damn you Julio Lugo!).

Ive never heard anyone say Tejada was the next Hanley, matter of fact Tejada isnt projected as a big power threat, and for a 17 year old in his first year of pro ball, i dont see what was bad about the year he had

But I do feel the same way about Alvarez, but we also missed out on Matt Laporta to, he's ranked 23 on BA top 100 list

bosox3431
03-10-2008, 12:45 AM
Hopefully a good C will slip to us in the draft, yes I know it's still few months away. But Id like to see Petey Paramore slip to us, hopefully he has high bonus demands so he can, heres is scouting report. Kyle skipworth looks nice also, but he's coming out of HS and likely wont be ready for 4-5 years, an I think we need something in the 2-3 year range depending on how much Tek keeps declining. Although with what Tek does behind the plate, they may draft a HS'er and keep Tek for 4-5 more years just for that.

Switch hitting catcher with great power potential and good defensive skills. Nice looking swing, hits to all fields. Defensvely, Paramore has the potential to be an adequate MLB defensive catcher, but his selling point is hi bat at this point. Smart player.

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/Petey+Paramore

RedSoxtober
03-19-2008, 11:50 AM
No clue how accurate they will be, but if SoxProspects.com (http://www.soxprospects.com/2008.htm#Greenville%20Drive) is even close to correct I'm gonna have a great summer!

Projected Greenville
C: Weeden
IF: Rizzo, Dent (2B), Tejada, Jorge Jimminez
OF: Carlos Fernandez, Kalish, Marks

Hagadone heading the rotation.

Woohoo!

Wake's Fastball
03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
No clue how accurate they will be, but if SoxProspects.com (http://www.soxprospects.com/2008.htm#Greenville%20Drive) is even close to correct I'm gonna have a great summer!

Projected Greenville
C: Weeden
IF: Rizzo, Dent (2B), Tejada, Jorge Jimminez
OF: Carlos Fernandez, Kalish, Marks

Hagadone heading the rotation.

Woohoo!

Plus another season of Daniel Bard!

You could even see Middlebrooks if he's hitting well come the end of the year. Assuming that projected roster is correct, I'd be interested to see what happens with Exposito.

RedSoxtober
03-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Plus another season of Daniel Bard!

You could even see Middlebrooks if he's hitting well come the end of the year. Assuming that projected roster is correct, I'd be interested to see what happens with Exposito.

Dude, you're bringing me down. :p

Seriously, it looks like Bard may finally be convinced of his future and be headed to the pen. I hope so. That could be exciting, especially if they let him challenge for the closer's role. Triple digits in the late innings would be fun!

I'm not sure why they are projecting Middlebrooks in Lowell. I guess it's due to his age. The SS's are piling up, though. Diaz, Tejada, and Navarro definitely earned a shot at starting. Maybe they'll work Middlebrooks in at 3B or slide Tejada (both already suggested) and we'd have a packed IF.

Wake's Fastball
03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Opening Season rosters:

Lancaster Jethawks:
Starters: C Zach Farkes ,1B Lars Anderson, 2B Chih-Hsien Chang, 3B Jorge Jimenez, SS Argenis Diaz, LF Reid Engel, CF Jason Place, RF Matt Sheely, DH Jon Still

Bench: C Dennis Blackmon, SS Christian Lara, OF Mickey Hall, OF Daniel Nava

Rotation: RHP Adam Mills, RHP Travis Beasley, RHP Jimmy James, RHP Brian Steinocher,
RHP James Russ

Bullpen: RHP T.J. Large, RHP Chris Jones, RHP Josh Papelbon, RHP Jason Blackey, RHP Richie Lentz,RHP Scott Lonergan, RHP Tony Bajoczky, RHP Blake Maxwell

Portland Sea Dogs:
Starters: C Mark Wagner , 1B Aaron Bates , 2B Tony Granadillo , 3B Andrew Pickney, SS Ryan Khoury, LF Zach Daeges, CF Bubba Bell, RF Jay Johnson

Bench: C John Otness, INF Jeff Natale, SS Iggy Suarez, OF Sean Danielson

Rotation: RHP Justin Masterson, RHP Michael Bowden, LHP Kris Johnson, LHP Dustin Richardson, RHP Chris Smith

Bullpen: LHP Daniel Haigwood, RHP Mike James, RHP Beau Vaughan, RHP Chad Rhoades RHP Kyle Jackson, LHP Hunter Jones, RHP Jose Vaquedano

Greenville Drive (projected per Lancaster and Portland announcements):
Starters: C Ty Weeden,1B Anthony Rizzo, 2B Kris Negron,3B Manny Arambarris, SS Yamaico Navarro, LF David Mailman, CF Che-Hsuan Lin, RF Josh Reddick, DH Mike Jones

Bench: C Luis Exposito, C/1B Will Vazquez, INF Aaron Reza, OF David Marks

Rotation: LHP Nick Hagadone, RHP Jordan Craft, RHP Austin Bailey, RHP Ryan Colvin, LHP Felix Dubrount

Bullpen: RHP Chris Province, RHP Daniel Bard, RHP Felix Ventura, RHP Ryne Lawson, LHP Jose Alvarez, RHP Eammon Portice, RHP Chad Povich

XST:
Position players: C Juan Apodaca, C Hayato Doue, C Sandy Madera, SS Oscar Tejada, OF Carlos Fernandez, OF Jeff Corsaletti, OF Ryan Kalish

Pitchers: RHP Matt Miller, LHP Andrew Dobies, RHP Matt Goodson, RHP David Thorne, LHP Carlos Vasquez, RHP Cody McAllister, LHP Kyle Fernandez, RHP Bryce Cox, LHP Jose Capellan, RHP Caleb Clay, LHP Tommy Hottovy, RHP Terumasa Matsuo

per soxprospects.com

Nothing terribly revolutionary. Mailman and Rizzo starting in Greenville is a bit surprising to me, but they're hopefully ready.

RedSoxtober
03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I noticed these rosters friday. I was disappointed to see that Dent, Middlebrooks, and Tejeda are slated for XST and (likely) Lowell rather than Greenville. :shrug:

Wake's Fastball
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
I noticed these rosters friday. I was disappointed to see that Dent, Middlebrooks, and Tejeda are slated for XST and (likely) Lowell rather than Greenville. :shrug:

I think Tejeda staying in Florida is, at least in part, due to the fact that he's had some kind of infection in his arm all spring.

RedSoxtober
03-31-2008, 09:56 PM
I think Tejeda staying in Florida is, at least in part, due to the fact that he's had some kind of infection in his arm all spring.

True. I'm just whining. Baseball in Greenville is all about me. :D

Wake's Fastball
03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
True. I'm just whining. Baseball in Greenville is all about me. :D

Well you've got Mailman, Lin, Reddick (for about a month), Navarro, Weeden, Rizzo and Hagadone to keep you company until the Tejeda-Kalish bus arrives. All I've got are scrubs like Ortiz, Ramirez and Beckett.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Ive never heard anyone say Tejada was the next Hanley, matter of fact Tejada isnt projected as a big power threat, and for a 17 year old in his first year of pro ball, i dont see what was bad about the year he had

But I do feel the same way about Alvarez, but we also missed out on Matt Laporta to, he's ranked 23 on BA top 100 list

Tejeda has a strong wirey frame, similar to Alfonso Soriano, with room to fill out. When he was signed he was often compared to Soriano with better defense, which would be welcome. I'm not hating on him by any means, but he got all type of hype and fanfare for basically hitting 290 and not doing much else. He's got the potential but. . . he's going to have to show some of these tools on the field before I get excited.

As for Laporta, it was basically him or Lars, so I'm okay with having lost out on Laporta. Porcello though. . . man. He graded out as one of the best HS pitching prospects in a long long time. I guess I just love HS pitching prospects.

Wake's Fastball
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
FWIW to anyone, Reddick's start in Greenville is apparently due to family problems, and the fact that Greenville is closer to home than Lancaster. He'll be in Lancaster likely within a month or so.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
He'll be in Lancaster likely within a month or so.

Where he will make opposing pitchers cry.

RedSoxtober
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
As for Laporta, it was basically him or Lars, so I'm okay with having lost out on Laporta. Porcello though. . . man. He graded out as one of the best HS pitching prospects in a long long time. I guess I just love HS pitching prospects.
How do you figure that? Sox drafted Laporta and he decided he got drafted too low and went back for another year. He was drafted at what, #7, after that? Sox had no shot at signing him.

BTW: My in-laws took my son (9) to the shindig the Drive had for season ticket holders Tuesday night. He got the 2008 yearbook and at least half the team autographed it. He ate dinner with Hagadone. Stupid me... since I coach him in soccer fall and spring I figured it'd be good time with my girls so I passed on a last minute offer to go. :mad:

ThreeIfBaerga
04-04-2008, 12:43 PM
How do you figure that? Sox drafted Laporta and he decided he got drafted too low and went back for another year. He was drafted at what, #7, after that? Sox had no shot at signing him.

Lars wanted I think $900K, Laporta wanted $1.3 or so, IIRC. If the Sox had offered him the money he would have signed. It's not that he felt he got drafted too low, it's that he felt if he went back to college and had a good year, he'd get a bigger bonus, which he did. They did have first shot at him, but didn't take advantage because they felt Anderson was the better value.

BTW: My in-laws took my son (9) to the shindig the Drive had for season ticket holders Tuesday night. He got the 2008 yearbook and at least half the team autographed it. He ate dinner with Hagadone. Stupid me... since I coach him in soccer fall and spring I figured it'd be good time with my girls so I passed on a last minute offer to go. :mad:

Ouch, that stinks. Although if I were sitting at a table with Hagadone, I'd talk his ear off until he got up and left. . .

Wake's Fastball
04-04-2008, 05:16 PM
4/3 wrap-up
Yesterday saw Sox affiliates split their openers with the AAA and AA teams both recording victories while the two A affiliates took losses. Pawtucket behind the 5 scoreless innings of Bartolo Colon shut out Indianapolis 3-0. The former Cy Young winner gave up just 1 hit over five innings and did not allow a BB. He had 5 Ks. Craig Hansen threw 2 scoreless, hitless frames allowing 2 BB while fanning 3. Dan Kolb threw a hitless inning allowing 1 BB. Lee Gronkiewicz threw a perfect ninth. Jon Van Every went 1 for 3 with a home run and 2 RBI. Brandon Moss went 1 for 3 with a RBI.

Portland shut out New Britain by the identical 3-0 score. Justin Masterson threw 4 scoreless innings. He gave up 3 hits but did not allow a BB. He had 3 Ks. Daniel Haigwood went 1 2/3 innings giving up 1 hit and 3 BB. He had 2 Ks. Jose Vaquedano earned the win. He went 1 1/3 innings allowing 1 hit and 0 BB. He had 1 K. Hunter Jones went 1 2/3 frames. He did not allow a hit but gave up 2 BB. He had 1 K. Beau Vaughn faced 1 hiiter and retired him to end the game. Zach Daeges went 2 for 4 and scored a run. Iggy Suarez went 3 for 4 with a RBI.

High Desert edged Lancaster 9-8 in a come from behind win. Travis Beazley started and went 5 innings. He allowed 3 runs on 5 hits. He did not allow a BB while fanning 4. James Russ went an inning allowing 1 run on 1 hit and 2 BB. He had 2 Ks. Terry Large threw 2 innings allowing 2 runs on 2 hits and a BB. He had 2 Ks. Josh Papelbon blew the save and took the loss allowing 3 runs on 4 hits and 2 BB in 1/3 of an inning. Zak Farkes went 3 for 5 with 2 runs scored. Jorge Jimenez went 3 for 5 with a run scored and a RBI. Lars Anderson went 2 for 5 with a run scored and 2 RBI. Reid Engel went 2 for 5 with a run scored and 2 RBI.

Kannapolis edged Greenville 3-2. Chris Province started and went 5 innings. He allowed 1 run on 2 hits. He did not allow a BB while recording 3 Ks. Dan Bard threw a scoreless inning giving up 1 hit and a BB. He had 3 Ks. Eammon Portice took the loss giving up 2 runs on 5 hits and a BB in 3 innings of work He had 2 Ks. Yamaico Navarro went 2 for 4 and scored a run. Josh Reddick went 2 for 4 with 2 RBI.

Player of the Night: Bartolo Colon who threw 5 scorless, 1 hit innings allowing 1 BB while fanning 5

~per soxprospects

Good series of starts all around. Solid relief efforts as well except for Lancaster's pen.

bosox3431
04-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Not that it really matters, but I was bored and was looking at the 2005 draft, which we lost our 1st and 2nd round picks, with them picks the Cardinals drafted Rasmus and the Padres drafted Hundley. Hundley would be nice to have now.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Rasmus would be nice too, he's a stud. However, those two picks we lost we gained back my letting Cabrera go and letting Pedro go. O-Cab turned into Jacoby Ellsbury and Jed Lowrie. Pedro netted us Buchholz and the since retired Jon Egan.

Yeah it stinks to have lost out on Rasmus and Hundley, but we did get two possibly franchise changing players out of the picks we got in return and another who might still have a large impact on this team.

lil'papi
04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Whats people take on this Richardson kid.......he looked the part lastnight! I was seriously impressed.

RedSoxtober
04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Whats people take on this Richardson kid.......he looked the part lastnight! I was seriously impressed.

I saw him a few times in Greenville and he didn't do that much for me. Looking back at his line I'm really surprised that he compiled as good a set of stats as he has. You can't argue with his track record, though. He's a guy who appears to be growing into his relatively large frame (6'5", 195 so he can almost look you in the eye :p) pretty well and is picking up as he moves through the organization.

If he continues to progress the way he has since the second half of last year he could be a decent backend starter. Being a lefty will help those chances a lot.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Richardson has a great pitchers build, but has relied heavily on his fastball during his acsent through the system, but if he's K'ing 10 in AA, he may have developed a breaking pitch. Should be an interesting watch, as he was a rather high draft pick. He's a great athlete, so he may just have figured something out.

Interesting side note about Richardson, not sure how common this knowledge is, but he was a finalist on that gameshow ESPN had about making Bobby Knight's Red Raiders while he was still at Texas Tech.

RedSoxtober
04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Chris Carter, the player acquired by the Sox in the Wily Mo Peña deal, is off to a fast start in Pawtucket. Through six games, he is batting .500 (10 for 20) with five doubles and four RBIs. He singled and doubled and knocked in a run in a 4-1 win over Lehigh Valley yesterday . . .

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/04/09/delcarmen_relieved_after_nervous_walk/?page=2)

RedSoxtober
04-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Sea Dogs’ right-handed pitcher Justin Masterson has been selected the Bank of America Eastern League Pitcher of the Week (http://www.seadogs.com/cgi-bin/dist/news.cgi?id=1208203964) for the week ending April 13th. The selection was made by Major League Baseball Advanced Media.

The 23 year-old, Masterson made two starts for the Sea Dogs during the Eastern League’s first week of play posting a 0-0 record with a 0.00 ERA, ten strikeouts and no walks. In Masterson’s first start of the year, he received a no decision tossing four innings at New Britain allowing no runs on three hits, striking out three. In his second start of the season, against the Defenders, Masterson went five innings, allowing no runs on two hits, while striking out seven. Masterson did not factor into the decision.

GrkGawdofWalkz
04-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Capellan came back. He's still in our organization.

RedSoxtober
04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Capellan came back. He's still in our organization.

Yeah, both Rule V picks were returned.

RedSoxtober
04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Hagadone kept alive his streak of not allowing an earned run. Including his last 10 appearances with Lowell last season and three with the Drive this season, Hagadone is 1-1 with 0.00 earned run average.

Pretty impressive beginning. The part that I did not quote here is that Hagadone left the game early with pain near his elbow. Drive mgr Kevin Boles said it was purely precautionary (just tightness) and he should be fine.

smokey2444
04-18-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm going to see Portland vs Binghamton tomorrow. Is there a prospect other than Justin Masterson I should keep an eye on?

RedSoxtober
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Bates (1b) and Wagner (C) probably have the best shot at MLB, though Wagner hasn't hit yet this year. Those are the two position players I'd be watching. The OFers (Bell, Daeges, Johnson) have made some headlines but I think they're strictly minor league lifers. Have fun!

smokey2444
04-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Wake's Fastball
04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Bates (1b) and Wagner (C) probably have the best shot at MLB, though Wagner hasn't hit yet this year. Those are the two position players I'd be watching. The OFers (Bell, Daeges, Johnson) have made some headlines but I think they're strictly minor league lifers. Have fun!

Granadillo (2b) is pretty solid as well, though he's likely a minor league lifer as well.

RedSoxtober
04-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Granadillo (2b) is pretty solid as well, though he's likely a minor league lifer as well.

I was genuinely surprised when he got bumped up last year. Puts up decent numbers but doesn't impress me much overall. Generally unspectacular in the field.

Oh, BTW, Corey decided to FA rather than accept a return ticket to PAW. Good luck, kid. No one wants to pick him up because he's an on-the-fence guy and they can't assign him to the minors for the same reason the Sox can't.

smokey2444
04-21-2008, 09:16 AM
I was lucky enough to see Masterson pitch Sat. He pitch good going 5ip, 0 runs, 2 walks (not positive) and struck out 4.

In my opinion Masterson look RIGHT NOW like he good be a solid reliever. Though I have no idea where the Sox would like pitch him.

By the way, Portland won Sat. 5-2.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Masterson struck out 10 on Saturday, not 4.

smokey2444
04-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the correction. I lost track early in the game.

RedSoxtober
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Here's a snapshot of some of the bigger names in the farm system. Some of these guys are not stars-in-the-making but are names discussed from time to time (Papelbon) and others are included for their once highly-touted status (Hansack, Cox, etc). If you think I missed someone, or don't see your favorite prospect... tough. :D

Position Players

Player POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E
Michael Jones 1B 16 62 13 26 4 0 2 13 36 8 12 0 0 .486 .581 .419 1.066 1
Anthony Rizzo 1B 17 67 8 25 5 0 0 10 30 2 12 0 0 .400 .448 .373 .848 1
Reid Engel OF 13 65 9 24 4 0 2 6 34 1 14 0 0 .379 .523 .369 .902 1
Dennis Blackmon C 7 25 1 9 1 0 1 7 13 3 9 0 0 .400 .520 .360 .920 0
Aaron Reza SS 16 51 12 18 7 0 3 11 34 4 9 0 0 .441 .667 .353 1.107 1
Josh Reddick RF 14 53 7 18 4 2 0 9 26 5 8 2 1 .397 .491 .340 .887 1
J. Van Every OF 19 63 10 21 3 1 4 14 38 4 18 1 0 .373 .603 .333 .976 0
Jon Still C 17 69 19 23 6 0 7 15 50 13 12 0 0 .439 .725 .333 1.164 1
Che-Hsuan Lin OF 17 65 14 20 6 0 1 5 29 10 11 5 2 .430 .446 .308 .877 2
Chris Carter 1B 19 72 5 22 7 0 0 8 29 8 16 0 0 .375 .403 .306 .778 1
C-H Chiang 2B 14 66 10 19 3 0 2 11 28 2 11 0 0 .319 .424 .288 .743 6
Brandon Moss OF 19 70 9 20 5 2 1 12 32 9 24 1 0 .363 .457 .286 .820 1
Lars Anderson 1B 16 64 16 17 3 1 3 9 31 11 15 0 0 .373 .484 .266 .858 2
Jeff Bailey 1B 15 43 7 11 2 0 2 8 19 8 7 1 1 .377 .442 .256 .819 0
George Kottaras C 17 63 12 16 5 0 5 16 36 7 13 0 0 .329 .571 .254 .900 1
Jeff Natale 2B 5 20 2 5 1 1 0 1 8 2 0 0 0 .375 .400 .250 .775 0
Mark Wagner C 11 44 5 11 2 0 1 7 16 4 4 0 0 .313 .364 .250 .676 1
Aaron Bates 1B 12 49 5 12 2 0 0 6 14 4 11 0 0 .339 .286 .245 .625 0
Dusty Brown C 14 50 6 12 5 0 1 5 20 7 12 0 0 .328 .400 .240 .728 0
Bubba Bell OF 16 71 9 14 4 1 1 8 23 8 13 0 0 .278 .324 .197 .602 1
Argenis Diaz SS 16 62 1 12 0 0 0 7 12 3 20 0 0 .221 .194 .194 .414 8
David Mailman 1B 17 53 6 9 1 0 0 3 10 8 13 6 2 .290 .189 .170 .479 0
Jason Place OF 11 49 5 8 1 0 0 3 9 5 15 1 0 .255 .184 .163 .438 1

Pitchers

Player W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WHIP HLD GF
Craig Hansen 1 0 0.00 8 0 0 0 0 12.1 3 1 0 0 0 4 13 0.57 1 1
Eric Hull 1 0 0.00 4 0 0 0 0 5.2 5 0 0 0 0 0 7 0.88 1 2
Nick Hagadone 1 1 0.00 3 3 0 0 0 10.0 5 3 0 0 0 6 12 1.10 0 0
Daniel Bard 1 0 0.00 7 0 0 0 0 14.1 5 0 0 0 1 2 19 0.49 0 3
Felix Doubront 3 0 0.57 3 3 0 0 0 15.2 14 2 1 0 0 1 17 0.96 0 0
Jose Vaquedano 3 0 0.73 7 0 0 0 0 12.1 9 1 1 1 1 2 10 0.89 1 2
J. Masterson 1 0 0.95 4 4 0 0 0 19.0 14 2 2 0 2 5 23 1.00 0 0
Lee Gronkiewicz 0 0 1.00 9 0 0 0 3 9.0 5 1 1 1 0 1 10 0.67 0 7
David Pauley 1 1 1.17 3 3 0 0 0 15.1 11 3 2 1 1 3 8 0.91 0 0
Hunter Jones 0 0 1.69 6 0 0 0 3 10.2 13 2 2 0 1 2 9 1.41 1 3
Chrisr Province 1 0 1.93 4 4 0 0 0 18.2 14 5 4 1 0 2 11 0.86 0 0
Felix Ventura 0 0 2.00 7 0 0 0 1 9.0 4 2 2 1 0 5 10 1.00 0 7
D. Richardson 3 0 2.12 3 3 0 0 0 17.0 8 4 4 0 1 6 20 0.82 0 0
Chad, Povich 1 0 2.25 6 0 0 0 0 12.0 14 3 3 0 0 2 13 1.33 1 1
Dan Kolb 0 0 2.31 8 0 0 0 0 11.2 15 6 3 1 1 3 5 1.54 2 1
Edgar Martinez 0 0 3.86 5 1 0 0 0 11.2 12 5 5 2 0 9 2 1.80 0 1
Josh Papelbon 0 1 4.22 6 0 0 0 0 10.2 13 8 5 0 0 6 10 1.78 0 5
Kyle Jackson 1 0 4.63 7 0 0 0 0 11.2 11 6 6 1 0 4 7 1.29 1 1
Michael James 0 1 4.70 7 0 0 0 1 7.2 7 4 4 2 0 4 6 1.43 0 2
Michael Bowden 0 2 4.91 4 4 0 0 0 18.1 18 12 10 2 0 11 18 1.58 0 0
Jimmy James 2 0 6.00 3 3 0 0 0 15.0 19 11 10 2 1 3 11 1.47 0 0
Terumasa Matsuo 0 0 6.23 2 2 0 0 0 8.2 8 6 6 3 0 6 7 1.62 0 0
Abe Alvarez 1 0 7.20 7 1 0 0 0 10.0 8 8 8 2 0 7 7 1.50 1 0
Adam Mills 1 2 7.50 4 4 0 0 0 18.0 30 16 15 2 0 6 9 2.00 0 0
Kris Johnson 0 1 9.00 3 3 0 0 0 12.0 19 12 12 1 1 5 8 2.00 0 0
Bryson Cox 1 0 10.80 1 0 0 0 0 1.2 2 2 2 0 0 1 3 1.80 0 0
Devern Hansack 0 2 13.50 2 2 0 0 0 4.2 10 7 7 1 1 2 2 2.57 0 0

ThreeIfBaerga
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Quick and dirty comparison of Masterson and Bowden in a Prospect Smackdown over at http://www.minorleagueball.com (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/4/21/446769/prospect-smackdown-justin)

sboyajian
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I was genuinely surprised when he got bumped up last year. Puts up decent numbers but doesn't impress me much overall. Generally unspectacular in the field.

Oh, BTW, Corey decided to FA rather than accept a return ticket to PAW. Good luck, kid. No one wants to pick him up because he's an on-the-fence guy and they can't assign him to the minors for the same reason the Sox can't.
I like him.. he has great plate presence.. can really put out a much needed hit.. (so far not this year, he's looking like Ortiz.. but he's coming around)..

His defense is lackluster, but it is above average. I'm sure another solution will present itself before the end of the Lowell deal, however Tony is MLB capable with another year or two under his belt.

He will definately replace Ginter as 3B in PAW before to long.. as Ginters offense and defense are both subpar compared to TG's.

RedSoxtober
04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
All kinds of action going on in the minors the last several days:

Mike Jones was named SAL player of the week (http://www.greenvilledrive.com/news/index.html?article_id=272) after hitting .567 with 1HR, 8RBI, 9RS.

Oscar Tejeda, who had been in extended spring training (XST) due to an infection in his throwing arm, was activated onto the Greenville Drive roster. Tejeda went 2/3 with a walk and a run scored in his debut.

Josh Reddick finally got his bump up to Lancaster (A+), after starting the season in Greenville for personal/family related issues. He was 1/4 in his debut with a single, one of only five hits the JetHawks mustered in the game. Mickey Hall moved up to Portland to give him space.

Adam Mills was transferred from Lancaster to Lowell, swapping places with Chris Jones.

Aaron Bates has an 8-game hitting streak going. Chih-Hsien Chiang is up to 11.

Wake's Fastball
04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Rumor's going around that Hagadone's forearm pains a few weeks ago are a lot more serious that we initially thought and that TJ surgery seems likely at this point. That'd be terrible for him.

Boston Sporter
04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Ya Hagadone is having TJ surgery...also anyone noticed Daniel Bard lately. In fall ball and so far this year he has absolutely owned batters as a RP. Definitely think he can be effective in that role at a high level with his high 90's fastball.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
As for Bard, who has been phenomenal, I personally feel that he'll be starting by this time next year. One year (which happened to be a year that he had the change his delivery and was suffering mental problems) and straight to the pen for a 1st round pick doesn't sound right to me. He's been going 1.2, 2ip almost every time out, so I'd be pretty happy to see him getting 3-4ip stints before heading back to the rotation.

RedSoxtober
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
As for Bard, who has been phenomenal, I personally feel that he'll be starting by this time next year. One year (which happened to be a year that he had the change his delivery and was suffering mental problems) and straight to the pen for a 1st round pick doesn't sound right to me. He's been going 1.2, 2ip almost every time out, so I'd be pretty happy to see him getting 3-4ip stints before heading back to the rotation.

The scouts generally believed that Bard belonged in the BP from day 1. The Sox simply allowed their first-round pick to try starting and it went poorly. It's no surprise to me that he started being effective in the HWL where he pitched out of the pen. Bard has an electric fastball that can hit 100MPH but no significant secondary pitches. That's the recipe for a power reliever, pure and simple.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
The scouts generally believed that Bard belonged in the BP from day 1. The Sox simply allowed their first-round pick to try starting and it went poorly. It's no surprise to me that he started being effective in the HWL where he pitched out of the pen. Bard has an electric fastball that can hit 100MPH but no significant secondary pitches. That's the recipe for a power reliever, pure and simple.

Scouts envisioned Bard as a reliever if he couldn't harness his secondary stuff. From the limited accounts I've hear thus far, his curve and cutter have been better than they were in college, where he generally lived off his fastball. As a starter in college, he sat in the high 90's late into games, so I think he deserves omre than one shot at starting with the stuff he (possibly) has to work with.

Wake's Fastball
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Scouts envisioned Bard as a reliever if he couldn't harness his secondary stuff. From the limited accounts I've hear thus far, his curve and cutter have been better than they were in college, where he generally lived off his fastball. As a starter in college, he sat in the high 90's late into games, so I think he deserves omre than one shot at starting with the stuff he (possibly) has to work with.

He could have had 2006 if he hadn't held out, but even in college, he really wasn't exceptional as a starting pitcher. If he keeps pitching lights out like this as a reliever, why change what works?

ThreeIfBaerga
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
He could have had 2006 if he hadn't held out, but even in college, he really wasn't exceptional as a starting pitcher. If he keeps pitching lights out like this as a reliever, why change what works?

Because there's so much potential for more. Same situation with Joba.

RedSoxtober
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Because there's so much potential for more. Same situation with Joba.

Not even close. Even in college he could not control the zone. Hit hit the pros and it was the same deal. Joba never had that problem. Just because they both throw hard doesn't mean they're remotely similar even in potential.

ThreeIfBaerga
04-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Not even close. Even in college he could not control the zone. Hit hit the pros and it was the same deal. Joba never had that problem. Just because they both throw hard doesn't mean they're remotely similar even in potential.

He didn't control it too well, but not nearly as bad as it was. The Sox adjusted his delivery, and after a year we can see how it's aided his delivery. I guess we'll see what his future looks like with what happens with a possible promotion. If he does get promoted, it'll likely be to Portland and he'll rocket through th system. If he starts getting longer and longer outings, we may see him move back. He's generally gone 1.2-2ip per game this year (he went 2.0 tonight, 1h 4k. He's now at 18ip 8 base runners, 27Ks.) so who knows.

Boston Sporter
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Big game for Lars Anderson yesterday. 4-4 2 hrs.

Wake's Fastball
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Big game for Lars Anderson yesterday. 4-4 2 hrs.

Hopefully it sparks a Bubba Bell-esque clip.

RedSoxtober
05-01-2008, 10:00 AM
A few random notes:
* Aaron Bates (POR) is in the middle of a 14-game hitting streak that has raised his line to .266/.352/.643

* Kris Johnson (POR) was named EL pitcher of the week last week. In two starts Johnson was 2-0, 0.77 with 9K, 3BB, 11H in 11.2IP.

* Mike Jones (GRE) has got to be the presumptive player of the month in the SAL. Jones finished the month with an active 21-game hitting streak and has a line of .415/.477/1.083. Unfortunately for Jones, he's blocked by Anderson, Bates, and Still (DH).

* Daniel Bard (GRE) continues to dominate SAL hitters. He's strung together 20 scoreless innings to start the season with 32K and only 4BB.

lil'papi
05-02-2008, 08:14 AM
http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/bard_daniel00.html

His senior year was pretty darn good especially the talent they played. He was mid 90's in the late innings I saw 97mph in the 7th and 8th innings.

He lost command trying new pitches or variation of breaking balls it happens that's why there is a minor league. They did adjust his delivery but from the stretch where he had most of the troubles.

Now look at him. He isn't Joba simply put this kids confidence isn't as solid once it is his potential is very similar.
He doesn't have the secondary pitches like Joba/ his FB is deadly if used in proper sequences. (same as Joba)
Way different styles too.

I am not sure who to compare him too? He is so free and easy....hopefully he gets a nasty side then we will see a meteoric rise.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/06/07/sox_kicking_up_their_heels_over_uncs_bard/

RedSoxtober
05-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Hopefully he stays healthier than the other 'free-and-easy' 100MPH kid (Burnett).

Wake's Fastball
05-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Sox released Abe Alvarez today. Once again, probably a guy that could've been more useful than Hansack or one of the guys we've got aimlessly sitting in AAA. That said, he probably wasn't a part of our plans ever, but I still wish him all the best.

RedSoxtober
05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Pitchers

Daniel Bard 1 0 0.72 13 0 0 0 0 25.0 12 2 2 1 3 4 39 0.64 2 3
Lee Gronkiewicz 0 0 0.79 11 0 0 0 5 11.1 6 1 1 1 0 2 11 0.71 0 9
Bartolo Colon 1 0 1.13 2 2 0 0 0 8.0 5 1 1 0 0 1 7 0.75 0 0
Hunter Jones 0 1 1.25 12 0 0 0 4 21.2 21 3 3 0 1 4 24 1.15 2 6
Bryson Cox 1 0 1.29 8 0 0 0 3 14.0 14 3 2 0 0 2 10 1.14 1 4
Chris Smith 1 2 1.50 9 4 0 0 3 30.0 21 6 5 2 1 7 28 0.93 2 3
Daniel Haigwood 0 0 1.77 11 1 0 0 1 20.1 10 5 4 2 2 13 23 1.13 1 2
Felix Doubront 4 1 2.05 6 6 0 0 0 30.2 27 9 7 1 0 2 36 0.95 0 0
C. Province 3 0 2.41 7 7 0 0 0 33.2 29 11 9 2 0 5 19 1.01 0 0
Michael Bowden 2 3 2.68 7 7 0 0 0 37.0 26 13 11 2 0 12 38 1.03 0 0
Michael James 0 1 2.75 14 0 0 0 1 19.2 13 6 6 3 0 7 17 1.02 2 5
Jon Switzer 2 0 2.78 17 0 0 0 1 22.2 21 8 7 3 3 8 19 1.28 2 5
Felix Ventura 0 0 3.32 15 0 0 0 3 19.0 12 7 7 2 0 5 20 0.89 0 15
J. Masterson 1 2 3.34 7 7 0 0 0 32.1 29 15 12 0 3 14 34 1.33 0 0
Kris Johnson 3 1 3.41 7 7 0 0 0 34.1 38 16 13 2 1 15 26 1.54 0 0
David Pauley 3 2 3.56 6 6 0 0 0 30.1 31 13 12 3 2 8 17 1.29 0 0
Kyle Snyder 1 1 3.80 5 4 0 0 0 23.2 16 11 10 4 3 4 20 0.85 0 0
Eammon Portice 2 4 4.15 8 5 0 0 0 34.2 33 25 16 4 1 13 34 1.33 0 1
Adam Mills 4 2 5.35 7 7 0 0 0 35.1 47 22 21 4 1 10 17 1.61 0 0
Jimmy James 2 1 5.85 4 4 0 0 0 20.0 26 14 13 2 1 5 16 1.55 0 0
Edgar Martinez 1 0 4.22 10 1 0 0 1 21.1 18 11 10 3 0 13 12 1.45 1 3
D. Richardson 3 3 4.50 7 7 0 0 0 36.0 30 18 18 2 1 18 37 1.33 0 0
Eric Hull 1 2 4.61 11 0 0 0 0 13.2 20 7 7 1 0 4 17 1.76 3 4
L. Holdzkom 3 0 5.65 13 0 0 0 0 14.1 18 9 9 1 1 16 5 2.37 1 6
Terumasa Matsuo 0 0 6.49 6 6 0 0 0 26.1 38 21 19 7 0 10 22 1.82 0 0
Josh Papelbon 0 2 6.50 12 0 0 0 0 18.0 23 16 13 2 1 7 16 1.67 1 9
Devern Hansack 1 4 6.56 6 6 0 0 0 23.1 30 17 17 2 2 8 18 1.63 0 0

Hitters

Michael Jones 1B 35 134 25 50 11 1 3 23 72 14 30 0 0 .433 .537 .373 .971 5
Anthony Rizzo 1B 21 83 9 31 6 0 0 11 37 3 15 0 0 .402 .446 .373 .848 2
Aaron Reza SS 14 49 8 17 4 2 1 5 28 1 10 0 0 .418 .571 .347 .990 2
Zachary Daeges OF 18 58 9 19 4 1 0 2 25 18 8 2 0 .481 .431 .328 .912 2
Sandy Madera C 14 50 9 16 4 0 3 9 29 7 9 0 0 .397 .580 .320 .977 1
Reid Engel OF 30 128 21 41 6 0 5 19 62 10 28 1 1 .376 .484 .320 .860 3
Josh Reddick RF 18 69 11 22 0 1 4 11 36 3 12 1 1 .338 .522 .319 .860 0
Jon Still C 34 128 28 40 8 0 10 23 78 19 22 0 0 .399 .609 .313 1.008 1
Mark Wagner C 22 81 14 25 5 0 2 14 36 11 14 0 0 .400 .444 .309 .844 1
Dennis Blackmon C 15 56 3 17 4 0 1 9 24 6 16 0 0 .359 .429 .304 .788 1
Luis Exposito C 17 65 12 19 1 0 4 10 32 5 10 0 0 .343 .492 .292 .835 1
Chris Carter 1B 37 138 10 40 12 1 2 18 60 11 26 0 0 .338 .435 .290 .773 2
Che-Hsuan Lin OF 36 146 24 42 9 1 3 17 62 20 26 15 3 .388 .425 .288 .813 4
J. Van Every OF 39 119 24 34 4 1 6 20 58 14 46 4 0 .361 .487 .286 .848 0
Brandon Moss OF 22 82 11 22 6 2 1 12 35 9 28 2 0 .337 .427 .268 .764 1
Yamaico Navarro SS 35 135 18 36 8 2 1 22 51 16 30 2 0 .342 .378 .267 .720 5
Ryan Kalish OF 16 60 7 16 1 0 1 9 20 12 16 5 0 .384 .333 .267 .717 2
Dusty Brown C 24 81 11 21 5 0 1 6 29 17 23 0 0 .384 .358 .259 .742 1
George Kottaras C 36 132 23 34 8 0 8 27 66 21 35 0 0 .357 .500 .258 .857 1
Jeff Natale 2B 5 20 2 5 1 1 0 1 8 2 0 0 0 .375 .400 .250 .775 0
Bubba Bell OF 31 125 20 31 8 1 5 15 56 15 24 1 0 .329 .448 .248 .777 1
John Otness C 23 85 9 21 4 0 1 11 28 10 7 0 1 .346 .329 .247 .676 3
Lars Anderson 1B 36 138 23 34 9 1 5 18 60 25 31 0 0 .366 .435 .246 .801 2
Ryan Khoury 2B 30 107 13 26 9 2 1 14 42 20 21 2 1 .364 .393 .243 .757 4
Aaron Bates 1B 31 115 12 28 5 0 1 22 36 8 30 0 0 .321 .313 .243 .634 2
Oscar Tejeda SS 8 33 2 8 1 0 0 3 9 1 8 0 0 .265 .273 .242 .537 1
Argenis Diaz SS 28 100 3 22 0 0 0 10 22 8 29 2 1 .270 .220 .220 .490 10
Jed Lowrie SS 9 28 8 6 1 1 1 3 12 9 9 0 0 .405 .429 .214 .834 1
Bobby Kielty OF 12 34 4 7 1 1 2 9 16 11 13 0 0 .404 .471 .206 .875 1
Jason Place OF 29 120 15 24 5 1 3 8 40 13 37 3 0 .294 .333 .200 .627 3
Tony Granadillo 2B 29 105 9 13 3 0 0 9 16 17 31 0 0 .258 .152 .124 .410 4

joba2007
05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm going to see Portland at Trenton tom. Who are your top prospects/worth watching at AA? Tx!

RedSoxtober
05-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Pawtucket (AAA)
The juggernaut was slowed down a bit on Friday in Buffalo, as the Bisons topped Pawtucket 4-2. The Sox, who had won 8 of their previous 9 games, fell to 25-18 for the season. Hunter Jones (0-1) lost his International League debut. After a scoreless sixth inning, Jones gave up a run on 3 hits in the seventh. Buffalo got an insurance run in the eighth, as Jon Switzer surrendered a home run to Danny Sandoval. Chad Spann and Sean Danielson knocked in the Pawtucket runs. Danielson had an error that lead to an unearned run. Charlie Zink did not figure in the decision, despite giving up just one earned run in five and a third innings.

Portland (AA)
PPD

Lancaster (A+)
The JetHawks are hoping their home woes have come to an end. They exploded for eight runs in the second inning, their biggest single frame of the year, and got tremendous pitching from three different pitchers as Lancaster defeated the Bakersfield Blaze 9-2. The win was cheered on by 2,713 fans attending the opening of Military Appreciation Weekend.

Nine consecutive JetHawk batters reached base safely in their big second inning. It all started with a Josh Reddick triple to set the stage. Chih-Hsien Chiang singled home Reddick and Reid Engel tripled home Chiang. Zak Farkes singled in Engel. An Argenis Diaz walk was followed by a three-run homer by Jason Place. Jorge Jimenez and Lars Anderson singled. A walk to Jon Still loaded the bases and after the second out of the inning, Chiang singled home two more runs, giving him two hits and three RBI in the inning.

The runs were more than plenty for the JetHawks pitching staff. Travis Beazley continued his mastery over the Blaze, beating them for the second time in as many tries. Beazley allowed just two runs in six inning and picked up his third win of the year. Cody McAllister and Scott Lonergan pitched three perfect innings of relief to close the game out.

Chiang had three hits for Lancaster and matched the JetHawks season-high with four RBI. Anderson also had three hits while Jimenez and Reddick each had two.

Greenville (A)
Greenville edged Savannah 5-4. The Drive scored three runs in the top of the seventh to take the lead for good. Manny Arambarris singled to open the inning and took second on a passed ball. Kristopher Negron then doubled to score Arambarris before getting cut down at third on a fielder's choice. Ryan Kalish singled and advanced to third on a fielding error by left fielder Matt Parker. Yamaico Navarro was hit by a pitch. Kalish scored and Navarro moved up on a wild pitch before a Mike Jones single capped the scoring.

Jordan Craft (1IP, 1H, 1BB, 2K, 0ER), Daniel Bard (1IP, 1K), and Felix Ventura (1IP, 2K) held the fort from there to preseve the win.

Note: this was Bard's last appearance here in Greenville. He was promoted to AA Portland after the game.

lil'papi
05-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Hopefully he stays healthier than the other 'free-and-easy' 100MPH kid (Burnett).

He is ten times smoother than Burnett. Burnett relies heavily on breaking pitches too. This kid is the opposite I haven't seen him in the pros, hopefully now while in AA I will sometime soon.

He pitched with a kid I know really well Andrew Carignan who is also in AA ball and doing really well. He was the closer the last couple years at UNC.

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=9994

Andrew though has a mean streak. Relievers, really good ones have one, that's my concern with Bard. I don't remember seeing a mean streak. Joba has one too, Papelbon too.

They scare hitters....

Wake's Fastball
05-25-2008, 03:29 PM
He is ten times smoother than Burnett. Burnett relies heavily on breaking pitches too. This kid is the opposite I haven't seen him in the pros, hopefully now while in AA I will sometime soon.

He pitched with a kid I know really well Andrew Carignan who is also in AA ball and doing really well. He was the closer the last couple years at UNC.

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=9994

Andrew though has a mean streak. Relievers, really good ones have one, that's my concern with Bard. I don't remember seeing a mean streak. Joba has one too, Papelbon too.

They scare hitters....

On the optimistic side, I think he's slowly starting to develop a strong reliever's mentality. No, I don't think he'll ever have the intensity of those guys, but from what I can see, he's developing into a pitcher that says, "here's my best stuff, hit it if you can" rather than trying to paint the corners as he has in the past, and really, given what he can do out there, that manner of pitching is going to serve him really well.

K2OB4E
05-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I am going to the Sea Dogs game tomorrow. Does anyone now who is pitching for Portland (please be Bowden). Is Bard schelude to pitch?

K2OB4E
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Matt Goodsen? What can I expect out of him?

RedSoxtober
06-05-2008, 08:55 AM
When the 49th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game is played on Tuesday, June 17th at NewBridge Bank Park in Greensboro, NC, the Greenville Drive will be represented by five members – first baseman Mike Jones, shortstop Yamaico Navarro, pitcher Felix Doubront, catcher Luis Exposito, and manager Kevin Boles. In addition, Jones and Navarro have been named starters for the Southern Division All-Star team at their respective positions.
Source: greenvilledrive.com (http://www.greenvilledrive.com/news/index.html?article_id=320)

RedSoxtober
06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
The Eastern League has selected Portland Sea Dogs’ outfielder Zach Daeges as the Eastern League Player of the Month for May.

Daeges hit an Eastern League best .414 in 26 games in the month of May with 11 doubles, one home run, 14 RBI, 17 runs scored, and walked 29 times. The 24-year old reached base safely in 32 consecutive games from April 9th through June 2nd. It is the longest streak in the Eastern League this season and fourth best in franchise history behind Kevin Youkilis (62), Kevin Millar (46), and Jed Lowrie (38). Daeges established franchise records for most walks in a month (29) and best on base percentage (.556). He was selected the Eastern League Player of the Week for the week of May 12-18th (8-for-20 .400, HR, 7 RBI).
Source: SeaDogs.com (http://www.seadogs.com/cgi-bin/dist/news.cgi?id=1212768371)

RedSoxtober
06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Position Players

Michael Jones 1B 60 233 38 81 17 1 4 41 112 25 44 2 0 .410 .481 .348 .891 9
Josh Reddick RF 44 178 29 61 4 6 10 35 107 8 29 3 1 .367 .601 .343 .968 2
Daniel Nava RF 35 126 22 41 8 1 5 18 66 14 29 1 0 .399 .524 .325 .922 2
Zachary Daeges RF 43 155 26 50 14 2 1 18 71 36 28 2 1 .448 .458 .323 .906 3
Lars Anderson 1B 49 192 35 60 14 1 7 33 97 31 38 0 0 .407 .505 .313 .912 2
Chris Carter LF 63 239 31 74 16 1 13 44 131 18 36 0 0 .360 .548 .310 .908 3
Sandy Madera 1B 24 96 15 29 6 0 5 15 50 6 9 1 0 .346 .521 .302 .867 1
Jed Lowrie SS 26 90 21 27 7 2 2 14 44 19 24 0 0 .411 .489 .300 .900 2
Yamaico Navarro SS 58 225 37 66 12 4 6 39 104 22 49 2 0 .357 .462 .293 .819 9
Aaron Bates 1B 57 213 28 62 15 0 4 42 89 20 43 0 0 .376 .418 .291 .794 5
Dusty Brown C 39 135 18 39 5 0 6 21 62 22 34 0 0 .391 .459 .289 .851 1
Bubba Bell CF 50 203 34 58 11 2 10 32 103 23 39 2 0 .357 .507 .286 .864 2
J. Van Every OF 63 194 46 55 6 2 12 32 101 23 70 5 0 .365 .521 .284 .886 0
Ryan Kalish OF 41 165 27 46 5 1 3 18 62 21 38 10 1 .358 .376 .279 .734 2
Argenis Diaz SS 51 185 19 51 4 2 0 20 59 12 46 3 1 .313 .319 .276 .632 16
Jon Still C 55 204 38 56 12 0 13 36 107 29 45 0 0 .367 .525 .275 .892 2
Reid Engel LF 43 176 24 48 7 1 6 23 75 12 38 2 1 .323 .426 .273 .749 5
Dennis Blackmon C 26 89 10 24 4 0 2 13 34 10 25 0 0 .333 .382 .270 .715 1
Mark Wagner C 44 164 25 44 11 0 4 27 67 20 36 0 0 .358 .409 .268 .766 1
Che-Hsuan Lin CF 56 222 35 59 9 4 3 24 85 28 44 19 5 .362 .383 .266 .745 5
Jason Place CF 54 226 40 55 12 3 9 30 100 27 66 3 2 .332 .442 .243 .775 3
Oscar Tejeda SS 27 107 8 26 6 0 0 11 32 2 20 0 1 .252 .299 .243 .551 5
David Marks OF 40 131 19 31 10 1 2 14 49 25 52 1 2 .361 .374 .237 .735 3
David Mailman LF 52 180 19 40 7 1 1 14 52 23 39 9 6 .314 .289 .222 .603 2
George Kottaras C 57 204 37 45 9 0 9 33 81 39 55 0 0 .347 .397 .221 .744 1
Tyler Weeden C 34 125 14 26 6 0 5 20 47 11 42 1 0 .288 .376 .208 .664 4

Pitchers

Chris Smith 1 2 1.40 19 4 0 0 7 38.2 27 7 6 2 1 7 35 0.88 2 12
Cody McAllister 2 0 1.88 9 0 0 0 0 14.1 7 7 3 1 1 8 8 1.05 1 4
Chad Povich 5 0 2.20 19 0 0 0 2 49.0 45 13 12 1 1 7 51 1.06 3 6
Michael Bowden 5 3 2.30 13 13 0 0 0 74.1 47 22 19 2 0 17 72 0.86 0 0
Daniel Haigwood 2 1 2.38 18 3 0 0 1 34.0 26 12 9 2 2 19 38 1.32 1 4
Charlie Zink 7 2 2.44 13 13 0 0 0 73.2 54 27 20 2 8 24 43 1.06 0 0
Michael James 2 2 2.68 23 0 0 0 1 37.0 23 13 11 4 3 14 29 1.00 3 8
Chris Province 1 0 2.79 2 2 0 0 0 9.2 11 8 3 0 2 4 5 1.55 0 0
Eric Hull 1 2 3.08 20 0 0 0 0 26.1 30 9 9 1 1 9 31 1.48 6 8
Felix Doubront 7 3 3.16 11 11 0 0 0 57.0 55 22 20 5 0 7 59 1.09 0 0
Felix Ventura 2 0 3.31 25 0 0 0 7 32.2 22 18 12 2 0 15 28 1.13 0 24
Clay Buchholz 0 1 3.38 4 4 0 0 0 16.0 14 6 6 1 0 10 14 1.50 0 0
Eammon Portice 4 4 3.80 14 11 0 0 0 64.0 51 41 27 8 2 23 73 1.16 0 1
Kris Johnson 3 3 4.00 13 13 0 0 0 63.0 75 35 28 2 1 30 44 1.67 0 0
Adam Mills 7 4 4.22 13 13 0 0 0 70.1 81 34 33 5 2 12 38 1.32 0 0
Edgar Martinez 2 1 4.34 19 3 0 0 2 45.2 43 23 22 6 1 22 33 1.42 1 7
Bryson Cox 0 0 4.50 2 0 0 0 0 4.0 2 2 2 1 0 1 2 0.75 0 2
Josh Papelbon 0 2 4.55 20 0 0 0 1 31.2 33 20 16 3 3 13 26 1.45 1 14
Hunter Jones 2 2 5.74 9 0 0 0 0 15.2 21 11 10 1 0 2 14 1.47 3 0
Jimmy James 2 1 5.85 4 4 0 0 0 20.0 26 14 13 2 1 5 16 1.55 0 0
Daniel Bard 1 1 6.08 8 0 0 0 2 13.1 11 9 9 3 0 5 17 1.20 1 4
Devern Hansack 2 8 6.11 11 11 1 0 0 53.0 66 37 36 7 3 16 38 1.55 0 0
Kyle Snyder 1 3 6.28 8 7 0 0 0 28.2 26 21 20 4 6 11 22 1.29 0 0

Wake's Fastball
06-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Zink threw 7.2 innings without allowing an ER to lower his ERA to 2.21 through 14 starts in Pawtucket... is there a point where he gets brought up to be a fun knuckleballing option out of the bullpen?

bagwell368
06-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Saw the Spinners yesterday, well impressed with Will Middlebrooks. Made some fine plays with the glove (and one boner), but also hit a bomb over the CF's head... He looks like a ballplayer. Has good zone judgement, and runs well. You'll see him in Fenway in Sep callups in 2010.

Wake's Fastball
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Saw the Spinners yesterday, well impressed with Will Middlebrooks. Made some fine plays with the glove (and one boner), but also hit a bomb over the CF's head... He looks like a ballplayer. Has good zone judgement, and runs well. You'll see him in Fenway in Sep callups in 2010.

He's probably got the raw potential to be our best hitting prospect. More a matter of getting him fine tuned than anything else.

RedSoxtober
06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
He's probably got the raw potential to be our best hitting prospect. More a matter of getting him fine tuned than anything else.

I think it's a lot more than that, and strongly doubt we see him in Sep '10. There's a lot of baseball to be learned by a HS kid who's skipping pro ball. Besides, he's still a very young kid and the Sox will progress with him slowly. Look at Lars Anderson, for example. Lars is in his second full season and will probably get to AA at season's end. He'll have an outside shot to make the Sox late next year, his third full season in pro ball, and he's certainly not less advanced than Middlebrooks was when drafted.

cubfan23
06-24-2008, 08:53 PM
just wondering when do you guys think Mike Bowden will be called up to the Majors? I see he's doing really well right now in the minors but I know your pretty much set at least right now in the pitching departmen.t

quiksilver2491
06-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I think it's a lot more than that, and strongly doubt we see him in Sep '10. There's a lot of baseball to be learned by a HS kid who's skipping pro ball. Besides, he's still a very young kid and the Sox will progress with him slowly. Look at Lars Anderson, for example. Lars is in his second full season and will probably get to AA at season's end. He'll have an outside shot to make the Sox late next year, his third full season in pro ball, and he's certainly not less advanced than Middlebrooks was when drafted.

I agree. I wouldn't rush Middlebrooks, he has great potential and can hit the ball but his swing is still a bit too long. He's got a lot of work ahead of him before I think we will see him in the majors or anywhere close for that matter.

knittingmill
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
dusty with a double and a triple last night is rounding into a major league-ready starting catcher.

RedSoxtober
06-25-2008, 09:02 AM
just wondering when do you guys think Mike Bowden will be called up to the Majors? I see he's doing really well right now in the minors but I know your pretty much set at least right now in the pitching departmen.t

IMO, unless he's traded he won't see MLB action until Sep'09. There are too many guys ahead of him and he generally has taken a little bit longer than most to make adjustments at each level to think he'll zoom past AAA.

lil'papi
06-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Bowden IMO will see duty this year at some point. Maybe a spot start just to wet his appetite. If Masterson falters a little look for Bowden or Buchholz (more likely) to get a spot start. Most likely end of year...

...also much depends on the race......if it's tight , maybe not. If we open it up some odds go way up.

This kid impressed me.

Bard, I saw last night....two innings gas, gas , gas....smooth as silk. He was hitting 97mph....breaking stuff was tight. I'd give him an A.

Bowden just looks good. Very clean delivery, no wasted motions. He best not be traded. I think he is being left there to mature keep innings down. Remember Masterson came up from AA.

He will fight for a spot next spring but probably ends up in AAA. Then gets spot starts during the year. Seems thats the MO. Let them taste it...keep 'em hungery....

I'd be sad if they traded him. They very well could for a front line guy this year.

knittingmill
06-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Pauley (10-2) struck out 9 last night. I don't see him cracking the Sox rotation but he's gotta be worth something good in a trade.

Towelie
06-27-2008, 08:33 PM
no he isn't.

lil'papi
06-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, he is......packaged.

PapelbonLester
06-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I feel that we have ml ready players in Pauly, Clay, Lowrie, Carter and Baily that should all be worth something nice in a trade. I say we have Carter or Baily come up and DH cause they are tearing up triple a.

papelbon58
06-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Sox signed there 2nd draft selection, 45 overall, Bryan Price. Here is the scouting report from soxprospects.com:

Arm without a lot of mileage. Price languished for two years at the back of the Rice bullpen, but emerged in spring 2008 with a 95 mph fastball with good movement and mid 80s hard slide. His fastball command can be erratic at times. Also mixes in a changeup with sinking movement. Projectable frame. Very smooth delivery. Likely to be a starter in the Sox organization.

We also signed undrafted free agent Roberto Ramos. Here is his scouting report:

Smallish player showed gap power in high school and top line speed. Good instincts for the game. Played SS and CF in high school. Strong arm.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-04-2008, 04:47 PM
The Red Sox have agreed to terms with and are finalizing signing 7th round pick C Tim Federowicz out of North Carolina. The deal is expected to be formalized within days and Federowicz will join the Lowell Spinners after signing. Federowicz batted .303/.381/.447 (.820 OPS) with five home runs, 21 doubles and one triple with the Tar Heels in 2008. He had one year of eligibility remaining at North Carolina.

http://soxprospects.blogspot.com/

That leaves, Casey, Gibson, Hissey, Westmoreland for our unsigned and important top 10 picks. Meyer, Miller, Marquis and Oropesa in the mid rounds left not signed yet.

Wake's Fastball
07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
36th rounder Richie Wasielewski signed for 130k. Not a top-of-the-line guy, but certainly a good value pick for the round.

Additionally, Zink improved to 11-2 tonight with a 2.22 ERA and otherwise outstanding peripherals. Continuing to fail to see the light as to why the Sox don't take a flier on him on the big league squad.

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 06:17 PM
is zink the knuckleballer that they've had in the system for a while? also, does anyone know if we are making good progress in contract talks with first rounder casey kelly? because if we don't sign him soon he'll probably head off to tennessee for football camp.

-Lavigne43-
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Lars Anderson was promoted to AA yesterday

The Intimidator
07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
that's good news...anderson appears to be on the fast track. it will be interesting to see if his power numbers dwindle or stay the same now that he is playing in portland, because lancaster, where he was just promoted from, is a hotbed for homeruns. there is a legitimate hitters' wind there.

MVPOrtiz201
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Red Sox signed first rounder Casey Kelly

On Thursday, six weeks after being taken 30th overall in the Draft by the Red Sox with their first pick, Kelly officially announced his decision. The 18-year-old signed with the Sox and will report to the Rookie League Gulf Coast Red Sox on Friday.

redsox.com (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080717&content_id=3144496&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

Edit: Already in another thread

-Lavigne43-
07-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Bowden was also promoted to AAA. He will start on Monday.

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 01:57 PM
What do you guys think about Che-Hsuan Lin? I mean, he was MVP of the Futures Game, and has drawn comparisons to B.J. Upton. He's only 19, but he has tremendous upside. Thoughts?

MVPOrtiz201
07-18-2008, 03:45 PM
What do you guys think about Che-Hsuan Lin? I mean, he was MVP of the Futures Game, and has drawn comparisons to B.J. Upton. He's only 19, but he has tremendous upside. Thoughts?

I was very excited when I learned he would be in the futures game. From what I've read about him (first time I saw him play was the futures game), in the field he has a very strong arm, he's very,very fast (he was a track champion in Taiwan I believe), good fielder. He sounds like Ichiro except with the bat. I don't think he'll hit for the average like Ichiro, but I think he'll have more power.
That's all I know/opinions I have of him.

RedSoxtober
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
that's good news...anderson appears to be on the fast track. it will be interesting to see if his power numbers dwindle or stay the same now that he is playing in portland, because lancaster, where he was just promoted from, is a hotbed for homeruns. there is a legitimate hitters' wind there.

He posted an .828 in Greenville in his first pro year. That's awfully good for a kid only 18/19 at the time.

It's unlikely to hit a .975 as he did in his LNC debut, but .875-.900 is not unlikely.

He's got great tools and was a joy to watch here in Greenville. We'll be talking about him the way we were about Ellsbury in a few years.

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 08:42 PM
He posted an .828 in Greenville in his first pro year. That's awfully good for a kid only 18/19 at the time.

It's unlikely to hit a .975 as he did in his LNC debut, but .875-.900 is not unlikely.

He's got great tools and was a joy to watch here in Greenville. We'll be talking about him the way we were about Ellsbury in a few years.

God I hope so...that would be wonderful. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here...but if Lin develops into the player many scouts think he will, then we could put him in center when he comes up and move Jacoby to left. Imagine the speed and defense in that outfield...it would be off the charts.

RedSoxtober
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
God I hope so...that would be wonderful. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here...but if Lin develops into the player many scouts think he will, then we could put him in center when he comes up and move Jacoby to left. Imagine the speed and defense in that outfield...it would be off the charts.

I think Lin has a strong enough arm that he'll replace Drew. Lin's a few years away but may be able to break in when his deal is done. By then Reddick is probably a better alternative in LF, traditionally a more power oriented position.

Reddick, BTW, got a (temporary?) promotion to AA on Monday when Bubba Bell went on the DL.

Also, Argenis Diaz was promoted to Portland along with Lars. After a very slow start Diaz raised his average to .281 in LNC, but his anemic .330OBP leaves something to be desired. Diaz is ranked as the Sox best defensive IF by BA.

OF Jeff Corsaletti got promoted to AAA, taking the OF slot freed up when Kielty was released. Corsaletti set the Portland record for career walks (136) in his 2 seasons there.

The Intimidator
07-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Lin has a strong enough arm that he'll replace Drew. Lin's a few years away but may be able to break in when his deal is done. By then Reddick is probably a better alternative in LF, traditionally a more power oriented position.

Reddick, BTW, got a (temporary?) promotion to AA on Monday when Bubba Bell went on the DL.

Also, Argenis Diaz was promoted to Portland along with Lars. After a very slow start Diaz raised his average to .281 in LNC, but his anemic .330OBP leaves something to be desired. Diaz is ranked as the Sox best defensive IF by BA.

OF Jeff Corsaletti got promoted to AAA, taking the OF slot freed up when Kielty was released. Corsaletti set the Portland record for career walks (136) in his 2 seasons there.

That shouldn't be a temporary call-up, Reddick deserves to be up there in AA. He has nothing left to prove with Lancaster.

I like Corsaletti. He's patient and disciplined at the plate, and he made a great play in right field when I saw him in Pawtucket last Saturday. He could be a good fourth outfielder for this team next year, provided Moss isn't still there (I expect him to be included in a trade before the deadline or in the offseason, but I could be wrong).

Michael Bowden made his first start for AAA Pawtucket last night, and was less than stellar, giving up 3 earned runs on 7 hits in 4 innings. However, we all know how much upside he has, and I would expect him to get a start up with the Sox in late September, once they have locked up a playoff spot.

RedSoxtober
07-23-2008, 08:21 AM
^^^ I think it's too early for Reddick to bump Bell at AA. If the Sox were planning on that they would have promoted him at the same time they made their sweeping organizational shifts (e.g., Lars/Diaz to POR, Corsaletti/Bowden to PAW, Almanazar to GRE, etc). Instead, he got the call only after an injury.

Don't get me wrong -- I think he could produce at AA and will pass Bell and others quickly enough -- I just don't believe it's the Sox intention at the moment. He's more likely get a late (mid-Aug) promotion that nets him 8-12 games, 30-60AB, as they have with many of their prospects in the past.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
They're not going to fly a kid from Lancaster California to Portland Maine for a cup of coffee. Reddick is in AA to stay. Take a look at his recent numbers, he had improved his walk rate, which is the only hole in his game, so he got the promotion. At the time Lars got promoted he hadn't fulfilled the requirements the Sox set for him to get promoted, so he didn't go with Lars.

Wake's Fastball
07-23-2008, 05:05 PM
^^^ I think it's too early for Reddick to bump Bell at AA. If the Sox were planning on that they would have promoted him at the same time they made their sweeping organizational shifts (e.g., Lars/Diaz to POR, Corsaletti/Bowden to PAW, Almanazar to GRE, etc). Instead, he got the call only after an injury.

Don't get me wrong -- I think he could produce at AA and will pass Bell and others quickly enough -- I just don't believe it's the Sox intention at the moment. He's more likely get a late (mid-Aug) promotion that nets him 8-12 games, 30-60AB, as they have with many of their prospects in the past.

Agreed, especially given that Bell's actually emerged as a semi-legitimate prospect with his play over the past season and a half. The Sox might dump Pritz and move Hall to more of a reserve role though.

The Intimidator
07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Agreed, especially given that Bell's actually emerged as a semi-legitimate prospect with his play over the past season and a half. The Sox might dump Pritz and move Hall to more of a reserve role though.

Well, isn't there the possibility that they keep both Bell and Reddick once Bell is activated from the DL?

Wake's Fastball
07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Well, isn't there the possibility that they keep both Bell and Reddick once Bell is activated from the DL?

I don't imagine Reddick's going to be sent down, especially if he's showing he can hold his own against AA pitching. I just don't think Bell's going to be the one that'll feel the repercussions of Reddick's promotion.

RedSoxtober
07-23-2008, 09:22 PM
They're not going to fly a kid from Lancaster California to Portland Maine for a cup of coffee. Reddick is in AA to stay. Take a look at his recent numbers, he had improved his walk rate, which is the only hole in his game, so he got the promotion. At the time Lars got promoted he hadn't fulfilled the requirements the Sox set for him to get promoted, so he didn't go with Lars.

I read the article about Reddick needing to work the count better, too. Here's the thing though. He had four freakin' games between Anderson's promotion and his. You're telling me that he fixed the hole in his game in four games? Before you answer, he went 3/17 with 2bb and 3K.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I read the article about Reddick needing to work the count better, too. Here's the thing though. He had four freakin' games between Anderson's promotion and his. You're telling me that he fixed the hole in his game in four games? Before you answer, he went 3/17 with 2bb and 3K.

Yes but the fact that he walked twice in four games is a testament to the fact that his plate discipline had improved. He had drawn 7 walks in Lancaster in July, which was two more than he had in any other month and three less than he had in every other month combined, and it was only halfway through the month.

It seems to me that at the time Lars was promoted they didn't feel he had reached the point where they were confident in promoting him, but he had reached that point when he was promoted.

RedSoxtober
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Sorry, I just don't buy the argument that he suddenly changed their minds in four games, particularly when he mixed in two 0-for-5s with strike outs and no walks.

I think your argument was as much "they wouldn't send him from Lancaster, CA to Portland, ME" (consider the trip!) as anything. They've done it before and will do it again. Check out this year's transactions for Lancaster, specifically Travis Beazley. He went from Lancaster to Lowell and back again 3 days later. Short term assignments are not such a big deal for guys with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

I can see a scenario in which Reddick stays (Pritz, hardly a strong prospect getting demoted to AA at 26 goes, and I'm no big fan of Hall), but not because he showed something in four games. He got an opportunity because of an injury. If he makes the most of it (working the count, specifically) he gets to stay.

ThreeIfBaerga
07-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I just don't buy the argument that he suddenly changed their minds in four games, particularly when he mixed in two 0-for-5s with strike outs and no walks.

Why does it have to be specifically those four games that did it? It's not like their only chance to move him was with Lars, I'm sure the Sox can afford one more plane ticket.

I think your argument was as much "they wouldn't send him from Lancaster, CA to Portland, ME" (consider the trip!) as anything. They've done it before and will do it again. Check out this year's transactions for Lancaster, specifically Travis Beazley. He went from Lancaster to Lowell and back again 3 days later. Short term assignments are not such a big deal for guys with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

Travis Beazley is minor league filler. Josh Reddick is one of their 5 best prospects, and a potential cornerstone power hitter. They also moved Ryan Khoury from Low-A to AAA for a few games the year after he was drafted. Why? Because they knew his chances of becoming even a marginal MLB bench player were slim. Thats why you have the Travis Beazley's and Ryan Khoury's in your organization.

Wake's Fastball
07-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Made an impromptu visit to the Lowell Spinners game the other night. Make the "small sample size" argument if you want, but I'll eat my hat if Brock Huntzinger isn't pitching in Boston in the future.

cubfan23
07-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I just heard Mike Bowden got bumped up to Triple AAA a day or two ago....good news im really excited to see what he'll do.

The Intimidator
07-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Made an impromptu visit to the Lowell Spinners game the other night. Make the "small sample size" argument if you want, but I'll eat my hat if Brock Huntzinger isn't pitching in Boston in the future.

Ehh...I don't think that a 5-0 record with a 0.64 era is anything special. :D

Guys, any concern with the struggles of Lars Anderson in Portland? Right now he is struggling to even reach the Mendoza line, much less crack it. No home runs as of yet either. Am I making too much of this?

ThreeIfBaerga
07-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Guys, any concern with the struggles of Lars Anderson in Portland? Right now he is struggling to even reach the Mendoza line, much less crack it. No home runs as of yet either. Am I making too much of this?

Yup. He's got ~20 ABs in AA, and is only 20. Much like Bowden last year, you shouldn't put too much stock into any struggles he's having. He's got all the tools to be a dominant power hitter. Just give him time to adjust. For players like Anderson the hardest jump in the minors is from A+ to AA, especially going from the hitter friendly Lancaster to the more pitcher friendly Portland.

The Intimidator
07-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Yup. He's got ~20 ABs in AA, and is only 20. Much like Bowden last year, you shouldn't put too much stock into any struggles he's having. He's got all the tools to be a dominant power hitter. Just give him time to adjust. For players like Anderson the hardest jump in the minors is from A+ to AA, especially going from the hitter friendly Lancaster to the more pitcher friendly Portland.

yeah, I thought I may have been jumping the gun a bit haha

Lord Byron 34
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM
I was wondering if someone could give me an update on the catchers in the system. Are there any that could hit .216 in Boston? :laugh:

ThreeIfBaerga
07-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I was wondering if someone could give me an update on the catchers in the system. Are there any that could hit .216 in Boston? :laugh:

Kottaras, when it comes to BA this year, makes Tek look like. . . Tek. He can give them a ride though.

Wake's Fastball
07-27-2008, 11:55 PM

Well he's got outstanding stuff, but the poise he's got out there for a kid his age is just incredible.

Dusty Brown, maybe, but outside of that, no.

RedSoxtober
07-28-2008, 07:39 AM

It depends on what you're asking. If you mean "Are there any that could hit this year?" then Wake's Fastball is probably right -- Brown is the only one with a shot.

If you mean "Are there any with a shot at hitting MLB pitching during their career" then there are more options. Wagner had gotten his eye back in late June and early July. He has a shot, having just turned 23. Jon Still has probably had the most consistent bat and has good command of the strike zone, but whether he has the skills to break in as a catcher is a question. He's spent some time at DH because his offense is better than his defense. Teammate Luis Exposito has hit pretty well and is getting some looks now as he's progressing through the system. Great arm behind the plate. This year's seventh round pick (Federowicz, UNC) had a knock for poor plate discipline but has already drawn 6BB/37AB. If he learns from the Sox system, who knows? Lavarnway, if he signs, could draw a lot of attention.

The Intimidator
07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Just a bit of an update...Michael Bowden lost his second straight start for AAA Pawtucket...but did not deserve the loss. He pitched six innings, scattered six hits, and surrendered only one run, while walking none and striking out three. Josh Reddick has been playing well, although in a small sampling, for AA Portland, as he has driven in 5 runs in his first 4 games. He is batting only .188 overall, but that is in only 16 at-bats, so a three hit game tonight would get his average up to .300. Brandon Moss, although he has graduated from prospect status, homered twice for AAA Pawtucket the other night, and looks primed for a recall soon assuming the Sox make a deadline move, unless he himself is traded. 2008 first round pick Bryan Price pitched 4 scoreless innings the other night, lowering his ERA with the Spinners to 1.42. He has surrendered only two earned runs in 12.66 IP in Lowell. Furthermore, highly regarded third base prospect Will Middlebrooks is heating up, as he is hitting .290 with 1 home run and 7 runs batted in over his last ten games for the Spinners.

RedSoxtober
07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Josh Reddick has been playing well, although in a small sampling, for AA Portland, as he has driven in 5 runs in his first 4 games. He is batting only .188 overall, but that is in only 16 at-bats, so a three hit game tonight would get his average up to .300.

Unfortunately Reddick has struck out 5 times in 16AB and has not walked once. Very bad news for someone who already knows that his progress through the system is directly hinging upon his ability to manage the strike zone.

BostonFan 53
07-28-2008, 08:12 PM
The prospect that intrigues me most is Oscar Tejada. Very young, but i think he can become our future 3B after Lowell leaves.

PapelbonLester
07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
opp i spelt it wrong some1 fix it

The Intimidator
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Tejeda is very young. He'll turn 19 in December, and currently plays for Greenville. He has drawn comparisons to Brandon Phillips. He has a ways to go before getting to that point, but he has all the potential in the world.

Lord Byron 34
07-28-2008, 11:46 PM
It depends on what you're asking. If you mean "Are there any that could hit this year?" then Wake's Fastball is probably right -- Brown is the only one with a shot.

If you mean "Are there any with a shot at hitting MLB pitching during their career" then there are more options. Wagner had gotten his eye back in late June and early July. He has a shot, having just turned 23. Jon Still has probably had the most consistent bat and has good command of the strike zone, but whether he has the skills to break in as a catcher is a question. He's spent some time at DH because his offense is better than his defense. Teammate Luis Exposito has hit pretty well and is getting some looks now as he's progressing through the system. Great arm behind the plate. This year's seventh round pick (Federowicz, UNC) had a knock for poor plate discipline but has already drawn 6BB/37AB. If he learns from the Sox system, who knows? Lavarnway, if he signs, could draw a lot of attention.

Thanks. The .216 thing was kind of a joke, but the fact that people took it seriously shows just how bad Tek has been. Personally, I respect everything else that Varitek does, but does he call a good enough game to justify an almost automatic out in the lineup? Apparently Theo/Francona think he does.

PapelbonLester
07-29-2008, 04:41 AM
The prospect that intrigues me most is Oscar Tejada. Very young, but i think he can become our future 3B after Lowell leaves.

Michael Almanzar has the potential to be a STUD!

The Intimidator
07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Daniel Bard continues to impress down in Portland. 46 K's in 38 IP, a 2.61 ERA, and opponents are hitting .200 against him. Any chance he gets a shot in September?

RedSoxtober
07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Daniel Bard continues to impress down in Portland. 46 K's in 38 IP, a 2.61 ERA, and opponents are hitting .200 against him. Any chance he gets a shot in September?

I'd say the odds are 50-50 depending on what else happens. The overall numbers look pretty impressive, but he's not been quite as sharp lately. His whip over his last 10 games 1.667 as he's both been getting hit more often and walking more batters. In fact, in that 10-game window he has not had a single 1-2-3 inning and only 3/10 in which he's given up only 1.

If Hansen and MDC continue to struggle they'll have discussions about him (still has a high k/9, go/ao) but my guess right now is that Aardsma takes one of the spots and possibly Clay gets the other (assuming Colon returns).

PapelbonLester
07-30-2008, 11:36 AM

this is nothing but good news. this kid has sky high potential so im sure he wont be called up just because young pitching in the post season is questionable. especailly if he's never come up before. lets see if he gets called up to AAA soon. If he does then he probably will be called up depending on how he does in Pawtaucket

bosox3431
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I hope they dont rush Bard, we dont want him turning into another Hansen, hopefully they learned from that

Wake's Fastball
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Huntzinger got promoted today from Lowell to Greenville. I leave him in your care now, RedSoxtober.

PapelbonLester
07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Kelly hits his 1st homer!!!!!! hopefully 2000000 more to come

RedSoxtober
07-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Huntzinger got promoted today from Lowell to Greenville. I leave him in your care now, RedSoxtober.

I'll have to check the rotation. We're planning on going to "Green Day" for my son's birthday next Tues (8/5).

lil'papi
08-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I hope they dont rush Bard, we dont want him turning into another Hansen, hopefully they learned from that

Bard is a bright kid. That's a major difference....;)

The Intimidator
08-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, this is Bard's third year in the organization as well. Hansen was brought up the same year he was drafted. So I don't think that bringing him up in September, in his third year in the organization, would be rushing him.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, this is Bard's third year in the organization as well. Hansen was brought up the same year he was drafted. So I don't think that bringing him up in September, in his third year in the organization, would be rushing him.

How long they've been under the Red Sox' control doesn't mean anything. If his command/offspeed stuff isn't ready to get out major league batters, he was rushed.

BTW, this is his second year.

The Intimidator
08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Drafted in 2006, third year.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Drafted in 2006, third year.

Signed an 07 contract, which means he wasn't allowed to pitch in 06.

The Intimidator
08-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I stand corrected...regardless, he will be less rushed than Hansen was if they bring him up this season.

SportsFan1988
08-03-2008, 10:12 PM
David Aardsma (groin) struck out two in a perfect inning Sunday for Triple-A Pawtucket.
Aardsma is eligible to come off the disabled list on Monday. Chris Smith figures to be sent down to make room for him.

Rotoworld

Wake's Fastball
08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
See, Smith getting sent down again bothers me. He's done nothing to lose his place up here, and if he's getting outs, why not let him try and hang on? I realize there's no easier option to go down, but it seems like he ought to be sticking around if at all possible.

RedSoxtober
08-04-2008, 08:38 AM
See, Smith getting sent down again bothers me. He's done nothing to lose his place up here, and if he's getting outs, why not let him try and hang on? I realize there's no easier option to go down, but it seems like he ought to be sticking around if at all possible.

I think it's exactly what you said -- he's got the options. At the moment, all the boys are starting to get outs again.

MDC has given up only 1ER, 1H, 2BB with 4K in 7IP since the break.
Timlin has a 1.04era, 0.808 whip since returning from the DL.
Masterson's 6K/1BB in 7IP since going to the BP keep him around, even more so given his groundball tendencies.
Oki struggled in June but righted the ship in July (0.00 era in 7.2IP)
Lopez, as much as I hate to admit it, has been one of the most steady guys in the BP and his season numbers (2-0, 2.57era, 1.40whip, 2.60 go/ao) have been pretty consistent for the
Papelbon doesn't need an explanation (though I'm a little curious about the number of innings he's been getting lately)
season.

I'm not sure whom Smith deserves a spot over in that mix. Aardsma's line in his PAW appearance is explanation for why they want him -- strikeouts late in the game. Smith's 6k/4bb is pretty similar to Lopez but without the extreme ground ball tendencies to get out of it.

Wake's Fastball
08-04-2008, 11:01 PM
On a side note... I asked you to look after Huntzinger for me. 8 runs in 3 innings wasn't what I had in mind. Step it up!

The Intimidator
08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Lars Anderson is really starting to hit for the Seadogs. I don't mean to brag or take credit for it, but I went to the game on the 30th against New Hampshire, and he's hitting .474 in his last 5 or 6 games since then. :D

ThreeIfBaerga
08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Lars Anderson is really starting to hit for the Seadogs. I don't mean to brag or take credit for it, but I went to the game on the 30th against New Hampshire, and he's hitting .474 in his last 5 or 6 games since then. :D

Mind going to a Buchholz start for us?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
08-07-2008, 09:36 PM

:laugh2:

The Intimidator
08-08-2008, 08:36 AM

I think that he needs more than me to start pitching better. He needs divine intervention! :D

The Intimidator
08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
When I saw Argenis Diaz play a couple weeks ago, he reminded me of a couple of former Red Sox infielders: Pokey Reese and Alez Gonzalez. I know that's not going to excite many people, but hear me out. He played great defense, played with a lot of energy, and showed a burst of speed both in the field and on the basepaths. I like him alot, and he's a guy who I would love to see as a September call-up.

RedSoxtober
08-12-2008, 11:53 PM
^^^ I doubt he's a candidate for a Sep call up since he started the year in A+ and has only about a month in AA. He is on the 40-man roster, though. The Sox love his defense (as you mention) and have been hoping that his bat stays at the .280-ish level that he'd hit in Greenville last year. So far so good.

Wake's Fastball
08-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Agreed with RedSoxtober, as usual. In addition to the fact that he just started too far away, he'd also be able to do absolutely nothing with Lowrie, Cora and Lugo already taking time at short. However, given that I think Cora's out the door next year, if Lugo gets dumped elsewhere, he could be given a very fair shot to make the team as Cora's replacement next year backing up Lowrie.

Wake's Fastball
08-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Kyle Jackson, who the Sox used to be pretty high on, got released yesterday, and Ryan Kalish got bumped up to Lancaster, which is a bit surprising given that he wasn't exceptional in Greenville.

The Intimidator
08-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Great games for a few Sea Dogs yesterday:

Lars Anderson, who has been red hot lately, homered and drove in four runs last night. He is hitting .333/.427/.617 in 25 games, with 5 home runs and 23 runs batted in.

Josh Reddick, who has not been hitting quite as well as Anderson, also homered last night. He is hitting just .219/.282/.422 in 18 games, but now has 3 home runs and 15 runs batted in.

Daniel Bard, who has begun to close some games for the Sea Dogs, recorded his fourth save last night, as he faced five batters, striking out four and walking one. He is now 2-1 with a 2.28 ERA, and 4 saves.

ThreeIfBaerga
08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
While Kalish hasn't been hitting for much power, that's what is to be expected with the surgery he had. He has been hitting for a good average and getting on base well, the power will come. He's a heck of a prospect.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Josh Reddick, who has not been hitting quite as well as Anderson, also homered last night. He is hitting just .219/.282/.422 in 18 games, but now has 3 home runs and 15 runs batted in.

Didn't someone suggest that Reddick was doing the right things with his plate approach? .282 OBP? 6BB/64AB? Ouch.

The Intimidator
08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Didn't someone suggest that Reddick was doing the right things with his plate approach? .282 OBP? 6BB/64AB? Ouch.

I think so, but it wasn't me, that's for sure.

Towelie
08-16-2008, 10:09 AM
ok, so here's a draft update.

Ryan Westmoreland signed for 2 million yesterday, and so did Pete Hissey for 1 million.

Towelie
08-16-2008, 10:18 AM
We still need to sign Alex Meyer, but looks like its not gonna happen and it sucks cause it could of been a steal for us.

The Intimidator
08-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Update:

While Lars Anderson is continuing to rake in Portland, his teammate Josh Reddick is beginning to establish himself at the plate. In 21 games, Reddick is hitting .243/.321/.514, and has now hit 5 home runs, with 21 runs batted in.

In addition, Daniel Bard extended his scoreless innings streak to 12.33, and has allowed only one run in his last 10 appearances, spanning 16 innings.

RedSoxtober
08-18-2008, 09:00 AM
We still need to sign Alex Meyer, but looks like its not gonna happen and it sucks cause it could of been a steal for us.

The deadline to sign passed 10 hrs before you posted this. MLB implemented new rules this year regarding draft and signing. The deadline is midnight (end of the day) on August 15. Teams that don't sign their first round pick (possibly second?) get a compensation pick the next year.

Wake's Fastball
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Doubront got bumped up to Lancaster. Ought to be interesting to see what this does to his presently-deflated HR/9 rate, especially since that was such a major concern for him coming into the season.

The Intimidator
08-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Argenis Diaz continues to hit for the Seadogs. In 24 games since being promoted to Portland from Lancaster, he is hitting .305/.352/.415 with 1 home run and 16 runs batted in. Now, these aren't amazing numbers, but they aren't bad for a guy who is compared to Alex Gonzalez.

BRNXBOMBERS555
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM
im gonna be going to see pawtucket in allentown pa on the 25th...any one know who will be pitching?

Wake's Fastball
08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Worth noting that 2006 supplemental first round pick Caleb Clay was pitching in live games for the GCL Red Sox a couple weeks ago, less than a year after his TJ surgery. Terrific upside on the kid.

Cronin
08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Watched a few interviews of C Luis Espositio, 1B Lars Anderson, P Daniel Bard, 1B Mike Jones, etc. All look like great guys!

The Intimidator
08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Update: Derrik Gibson's strong performance for the GCL Red Sox has been rewarded with a promotion to the Lowell Spinners.

Wake's Fastball
08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Update: Derrik Gibson's strong performance for the GCL Red Sox has been rewarded with a promotion to the Lowell Spinners.

Could be the beginning of the end for Ryan Dent.

The Intimidator
08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Indeed

PapelbonLester
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
he's doin way better than kelly.....i think we should of took someone else in the first round.

Wake's Fastball
08-25-2008, 11:03 AM
he's doin way better than kelly.....i think we should of took someone else in the first round.

Kelly's eventually going to get moved to the mound, where the consensus is that he's much better. He wanted a chance to play shortstop though, and when you've got a commitment to Tennessee along with an offer to play quarterback there, you're able to have the leverage to play shortstop if you want.

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Kelly's eventually going to get moved to the mound, where the consensus is that he's much better. He wanted a chance to play shortstop though, and when you've got a commitment to Tennessee along with an offer to play quarterback there, you're able to have the leverage to play shortstop if you want.

then when u hit .150 in the gcl. in 100 at bats you tell him to go on and play qb at tennessee becasue baseball isnt your sport. his fastball tops out at 90. whats so special about the way he pitches and if he was projected better as a pitcher. we're waisting our time and spot in our lineup to watch this kid try to hit and wouldnt you think he'd try to pitch when he's doing this terrible at the plate???????

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
then when u hit .150 in the gcl. in 100 at bats you tell him to go on and play qb at tennessee becasue baseball isnt your sport. his fastball tops out at 90. whats so special about the way he pitches and if he was projected better as a pitcher. we're waisting our time and spot in our lineup to watch this kid try to hit and wouldnt you think he'd try to pitch when he's doing this terrible at the plate???????

You might also say, "Just drafted out of high school so the kid's got some growing to do. His first short-season is generally a throw away anyway so let's let him try SS like he wants to and then move him next year."

BTW, how many of his GCL games have you seen?

PapelbonLester
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
You might also say, "Just drafted out of high school so the kid's got some growing to do. His first short-season is generally a throw away anyway so let's let him try SS like he wants to and then move him next year."

BTW, how many of his GCL games have you seen?

0 but i check the stats after every game and kelly hits 3rd so i look for him to produce.....but does he????? NOPE he's 4 for his last 34. w/e i just dont understand how every year our 1st round pick is a bust but our 1s and 2nd round picks always are the good ones......jason place might just change that. imo kelly wont but i guess its to early to tell.

RedSoxtober
08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
0 but i check the stats after every game and kelly hits 3rd so i look for him to produce.....but does he????? NOPE he's 4 for his last 34. w/e i just dont understand how every year our 1st round pick is a bust but our 1s and 2nd round picks always are the good ones......jason place might just change that. imo kelly wont but i guess its to early to tell.

You're 'I see it in the boxscores' mentality would have lost the Sox the ROY last year. Without seeing him you have absolutely no idea what's going on... or what they're working on with him. You just know the results and that's a pretty poor measure when you're talking about taking a kid who was geared up to go to college and completely turn him around. Take a breath, let the kid adjust to life as a baseball player, and let's evaluate him later.

The Intimidator
08-25-2008, 03:59 PM
PapelbonLester seems to be in a bad mood...:D

Anyways, Daniel Bard continues to impress. 4-1 with a 2.03 ERA and 6 saves in 30 games with the Seadogs. What is more impressive is that he has shown the ability to pitch 4 or 5 out saves. I think we are witnessing the next great Sox reliever...

ThreeIfBaerga
09-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Seriously, putting any stock at all, good or bad, in GCL stats is foolish. Not only is this these kids first time in pro ball, it's likely their first time living away from home, hitting with wood bats. . .

Also, most times, this is where teams decide to make their adjustments to a players' delivery, swing, how they hold the ball or any number of changes they want to.

Take a look at Kelly's Lowell stats. He's hitting there, why aren't people proclaiming him the SS of the future? Because it's a small sample size in a kids first season of pro ball. Give the kid at least a year. Look at Place, he hit very very well in the GCL and as we can see that didn't carry over.

fanatical18
09-04-2008, 03:28 PM
THT breakdown on Bryan Price:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/breaking-down-the-draft-bryan-price-vs-brad-holt/

Price, on the other hand, stacks up well with Holt. The K% of 24, while solid, isn't at Holt's level, but his groundball percentage of 58 makes up for some of that difference. In addition, Price's control has been much better than his college numbers indicate. Price's biggest problem has been hittability: a .350 BABIP against and nine extra base hits in less than half the innings.

RedSoxtober
09-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Seriously, putting any stock at all, good or bad, in GCL stats is foolish. Not only is this these kids first time in pro ball, it's likely their first time living away from home, hitting with wood bats. . .

Also, most times, this is where teams decide to make their adjustments to a players' delivery, swing, how they hold the ball or any number of changes they want to.

Take a look at Kelly's Lowell stats. He's hitting there, why aren't people proclaiming him the SS of the future? Because it's a small sample size in a kids first season of pro ball. Give the kid at least a year. Look at Place, he hit very very well in the GCL and as we can see that didn't carry over.

To be fair, when Place went to the GCL it was the only place he ever played against his peer group. Jumping to Greenville the next year and Lancaster this year has had him playing younger than his peers by a few years. This same thing is true, of course, with these other kids.

ThreeIfBaerga
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
To be fair, when Place went to the GCL it was the only place he ever played against his peer group. Jumping to Greenville the next year and Lancaster this year has had him playing younger than his peers by a few years. This same thing is true, of course, with these other kids.

True, but Greenville was the next logical step in his developmental ladder. As a first round pick you're kind of expected to be able to survive outside of the GCL a year after you were drafted.

I do agree with you in principal, I may have just used the wrong player to illustrate my point. The counterpoint could be how well Kelly has hit in Lowell.

The Intimidator
09-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Do you guys think that Hunter Jones is a candidate for a call-up sometime this month, once Pawtucket is finished with the AAA playoffs?

RedSoxtober
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you guys think that Hunter Jones is a candidate for a call-up sometime this month, once Pawtucket is finished with the AAA playoffs?

Sure. Jones, Bowden, Hansak, Van Every, Thurston would be my gueses.

The Intimidator
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Good, because he certainly deserves a shot after the year he has had down there.

Wake's Fastball
09-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Hansack got called up today.

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Is Pawtucket's season over?

RedSoxtober
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Shelley Duncan hit a 2 run home run in the tenth inning on Sunday night in Moosic Pennsylvania, powering the Yankees to a 2-0, series clinching win. The Yankees take the best of five series, 3 games to 1. Starting pitchers Bartolo Colon and Phil Hughes didn't figure in the decision, but both deserved a win. Colon pitched 7 and 2 thirds shutout innings, allowing just 2 hits. Colon retired the last 14 hitters he faced. Hunter Jones was tagged with the loss. Jones allowed a double to Bernie Castro. Castro scored ahead of Duncan. Phil Hughes, the 22 year old prospect twirled 8 shutout innings at Pawtucket, striking out 11.
Source: PawSox.com

The Intimidator
09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Good season, Paw Sox!

Wake's Fastball
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Minor update in Winter Ball action...

Yamaico Navarro- 4/20, .200 average, no EBH. However, his OBP is more than 100 points above his average, and he's struck out just once, which are the two major things he needed to improve on this year. He's doing no harm to his status as the Sox' top rising prospect this past year.

Ryan Kalish- Only 1/12. Has three walks on top of that, and he's got four stolen bases as well. 3 Ks in the time as well though, which isn't stellar. Still lacking the power the Sox are hoping to see from him.

Jose Capellan- Got knocked around in his only start. 2 innings, 6 hits, 3 ER. May be nearing the end of his stint in the Boston organization, as he's MLFA this season.

Dustin Richardson- 3 games in relief. 4 innings. 4 strikeouts. 4 hits and 2 walks. Solid so far.

Wake's Fastball
10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Through 10/14

Hawaii Winter Ball (North Shore Honu)

Ryan Kalish- 9 games .310/.444/.448, 7/6 BB/K, 8 SB 0 CS 1 HR
Yamaico Navarro- 9 games .194/.293/.194 5/4 BB/K 0 EBH

Dustin Richardson (relieving)- 5 games 8.0 IP, 1 ER (1 HR), 1.13 ERA, 9/4 K/BB, 1.38 WHIP, .250 BAA
Jose Capellan (starting)- 3 games 9 IP, 7 ER, 7.00 ERA, 6/3 K/BB, 2.22 WHIP, .444 BAA

Arizona Fall League (Scottsdale)

Josh Reddick- 6 games .231/.231/.423 0/11 BB/K 1 HR
Aaron Bates- 3 games .182/.308/.182 2/6 BB/K 0 EBH
Mark Wagner- 4 games .091/.167/.091 1/2 BB/K 0 EBH

Ryne Lawson- 2 games, 0-2, 1.2 IP, 5 ER, 27.00 ERA, 1/5 K/BB, 5.40 WHIP
Beau Vaughan- 2 games, 0-1, 2 IP, 3 ER, 13.50 ERA, 2/1 K/BB, 3.00 WHIP
TJ Large- 2 games, 4 IP, 0 ER, 0.00 ERA, 4/1 K/BB, 0.75 WHIP
Clay Buchholz- 1 start, 3 IP, 0 hits, 0.00 ERA, 3/1 K/BB, 0.33 WHIP

Buchholz had a nice start. Kalish is hitting the ball well. Richardson and Large are really the only other bright spots. Bates, Capellan and Wagner are having a real rough go of it. Reddick's 11 Ks with 0 BB in 26 PA is troubling.

The Intimidator
10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Through 10/14

Hawaii Winter Ball (North Shore Honu)

Ryan Kalish- 9 games .310/.444/.448, 7/6 BB/K, 8 SB 0 CS 1 HR
Yamaico Navarro- 9 games .194/.293/.194 5/4 BB/K 0 EBH

Dustin Richardson (relieving)- 5 games 8.0 IP, 1 ER (1 HR), 1.13 ERA, 9/4 K/BB, 1.38 WHIP, .250 BAA
Jose Capellan (starting)- 3 games 9 IP, 7 ER, 7.00 ERA, 6/3 K/BB, 2.22 WHIP, .444 BAA

Arizona Fall League (Scottsdale)

Josh Reddick- 6 games .231/.231/.423 0/11 BB/K 1 HR
Aaron Bates- 3 games .182/.308/.182 2/6 BB/K 0 EBH
Mark Wagner- 4 games .091/.167/.091 1/2 BB/K 0 EBH

Ryne Lawson- 2 games, 0-2, 1.2 IP, 5 ER, 27.00 ERA, 1/5 K/BB, 5.40 WHIP
Beau Vaughan- 2 games, 0-1, 2 IP, 3 ER, 13.50 ERA, 2/1 K/BB, 3.00 WHIP
TJ Large- 2 games, 4 IP, 0 ER, 0.00 ERA, 4/1 K/BB, 0.75 WHIP
Clay Buchholz- 1 start, 3 IP, 0 hits, 0.00 ERA, 3/1 K/BB, 0.33 WHIP

Buchholz had a nice start. Kalish is hitting the ball well. Richardson and Large are really the only other bright spots. Bates, Capellan and Wagner are having a real rough go of it. Reddick's 11 Ks with 0 BB in 26 PA is troubling.

Good to see that Reddick is drawing some walks, at least.

RedSoxtober
10-31-2008, 09:09 AM
More from the AFL/HWL (through Halloween):

North Shore Honu
Position Players

Ryan Kalish OF 16 49 11 14 2 0 1 7 19 15 12 10 0 .453 .388 .286 .841
Yamaico Navarro SS 16 65 11 14 1 0 1 8 18 6 10 0 0 .278 .277 .215 .555 5
Jonathan Hee 2B 2 5 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 2 3 0 0 .429 .200 .200 .629 0

Pitchers

Du. Richardson 0 1 3.09 8 0 0 0 0 11.2 11 4 4 1 0 6 15 1.46 1 1
Jose Capellan 0 1 6.35 5 5 0 0 0 17.0 25 12 12 2 1 5 14 1.76 0 0

Scottsdale Scorpions
Position Players

Mark Wagner C 9 29 5 8 2 0 1 3 13 3 3 0 0 .344 .448 .276 .792 0
Aaron Bates 1B 8 25 7 5 1 0 1 3 9 3 14 0 0 .310 .360 .200 .670 0
Josh Reddick CF 11 44 6 8 0 1 1 3 13 2 19 0 0 .208 .295 .182 .504 0

Players

Clay Buchholz 1 1 2.60 4 4 0 0 0 17.1 13 5 5 0 0 5 12 1.04 0 0
T.J. Large 0 0 4.15 6 0 0 0 0 8.2 8 4 4 0 2 2 5 1.15 1 0
Beau Vaughan 1 2 7.04 6 0 0 0 0 7.2 13 8 6 2 1 1 11 1.83 1 4
Ryne Lawson 0 3 9.64 4 1 0 0 0 4.2 11 8 5 1 1 6 1 3.64 0 2

Really, there is a lot more disappointment here than good. Reddick's 19k/2bb is flat out awful and his .182 is second worst on the team. Working on his plate discipline could work out a lot like when the Sox tried to get Lester and Hansen to work on "pitchability".

Wake's Fastball
11-02-2008, 04:53 PM
^ Pretty much. Wagner and Richardson have been solid, Buchholz has been good versus vastly less-advanced talent, and it's nice to see Kalish's OPS up high again, but pretty poor outside of that.

laxtonto
11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
OK guys... just saw something that kinda freaked me out...

Can anyone explain Lar's .435 BABIP in AA? Yes he hit .316, but .435??? WTF?

I know small sample size of 164 AB's, but I went from a really big believer to a yeah lets see him more in AA to make sure guy in a hurry right there.

http://firstinning.com/players/Lars-Anderson-a/

celticfan
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
i really like Lars Anderson

laxtonto
11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
i really like Lars Anderson

So do I, but that doesn't mean that really really shouldn't worry me

RedSoxtober
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
OK guys... just saw something that kinda freaked me out...

Can anyone explain Lar's .435 BABIP in AA? Yes he hit .316, but .435??? WTF?

I know small sample size of 164 AB's, but I went from a really big believer to a yeah lets see him more in AA to make sure guy in a hurry right there.

http://firstinning.com/players/Lars-Anderson-a/

My guess is that there were a few factors:
- Left CA for the Northeast for the first time (raised in CA, A+ team was there, too)
- Generally a few years younger than his peer group at AA
- The Sox player development goals. The higher you go in the Sox organization the harder they force you to work on P/PA, OBP, etc. The lower in the org you are the more you're allowed to hit away as you did when you came in. At AA they're working pretty hard on OBP and the results are pretty pronounced for most of their prospects (e.g., Reddick). Fortunately, Lars' bb/pa picked up as well suggesting that he's making the transition. To wit, check out the July vs Aug splits from the firstinning link you posted:

July: BB: 12.6%, BABIP 52.6%, K: 35.9%
Aug: BB: 20%, BABIP: 40.9%, K: 23.2%

Wake's Fastball
11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Anthony Rizzo has been participating in drills and activities in the Fall Instructional League after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma earlier this sesason. Even if he's not able to get back to the form he was at earlier this year, the fact that he's been able to fight back the cancer enough to get back onto the field has got to be one of the Sox' best stories of the year.

thefens
11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Anthony Rizzo has been participating in drills and activities in the Fall Instructional League after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma earlier this sesason. Even if he's not able to get back to the form he was at earlier this year, the fact that he's been able to fight back the cancer enough to get back onto the field has got to be one of the Sox' best stories of the year.

I know the basic story about Rizzo, but does anyone have a link to a full story about him?

RedSoxtober
11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
^^^ You can read the Minor League Baseball article on him here (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080516&content_id=399997&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp).

Here's some info that I just picked up. It's actually from an article about Rizzo's older brother who just suffered a football injury playing for Florida Atlantic.

It has been an emotional year for Rizzo, whose younger brother Anthony was diagnosed with cancer in the spring. Anthony Rizzo is a budding star in the Red Sox minor league organization, and had to miss the minor league season while getting chemotherapy treatment this summer.

At the same time Rizzo's grandmother was battling cancer.

About a month ago Anthony Rizzo's cancer was in remission and he began working out again, but Rizzo's grandmother died.
Source: Sun Sentinel

So the good news is that his cancer is in remission but it's sure been a rotten year for him and his family.