PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan's jersey retired in Miami?

madiaz3
12-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Just watching the Knicks pregame, they were talking about Earl the Pearl's Monroe's jersey being retired both in New York and in Washington for the Bullets, they then showed a list of all players with Jerseys retired in multiple buildings and then they showed Jordan's in Miami?

Does anyone know why? It surprised Al Trautwig as well.

ink
12-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Just watching the Knicks pregame, they were talking about Earl the Pearl's Monroe's jersey being retired both in New York and in Washington for the Bullets, they then showed a list of all players with Jerseys retired in multiple buildings and then they showed Jordan's in Miami?

Does anyone know why? It surprised Al Trautwig as well.

Greatest player ever maybe? They've done that in other sports ...

ink
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
On April 12, 2003, the Miami Heat retired his jersey, hanging it from the arena's rafters. As the Heat unveiled the half-Chicago Bulls, half-Wizards jersey, Riley said no Heat player will wear the number again.

"In honor of your greatness and for all you've done for the game of basketball - and not just the NBA, but for all the fans around the world - we want to honor you tonight and hang your jersey, No. 23, from the rafters," Riley said at midcourt. "No one will ever wear No. 23 for the Miami Heat. You're the best."

His jersey was the first the Heat has retired in their history.

Source: yahoo answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071201173411AAKQgw9)

LAKERMANIA
12-02-2007, 08:20 PM
that is smart

the NHL has done that with Gretzky, with all teams..

i think all NBA teams should retire MJ's Jersey

ink
12-02-2007, 08:22 PM
that is smart

i think all NBA teams should retire MJ's Jersey

So do I. Nice avatar btw. That's a great photo ... :clap:

LAKERMANIA
12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
So do I. Nice avatar btw. That's a great photo ... :clap:

thanks man.. it was my first sig ever, then i dont know what happened..

ImmortalD24
12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
that is smart

i think all NBA teams should retire MJ's JerseyDon't think the Cavs would do it.:smoking:

LA SeV
12-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Ive been an advocate of retiring the #23 for many many years now. Whats the point of wearing #23. Be your own person. Start your own number.

This is my biggest knock on LBJ. His entire career and marketability would have been so much more profitable if he had his own number. When hes gone, 23 will still be remembered as MJ.

Halladay
12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Ive been an advocate of retiring the #23 for many many years now. Whats the point of wearing #23. Be your own person. Start your own number.

This is my biggest knock on LBJ. His entire career and marketability would have been so much more profitable if he had his own number. When hes gone, 23 will still be remembered as MJ.

I disagree, nobody remembers Jordan sheerly for his number alone, they remember his championships and his famous free throw line dunk. Nobody owns a number, although I believe it should be retired in places where the player played just not throughout the whole league. In the end it's just a number, people will remember what the player did. How many people remember what number Kobe changed too? not many, because it's irrelevant. And you talk about it hurting LBJ's marketability? are you crazy? he's a projected billionare by the time he's in his late 30's, he's the Tiger Woods of Basketball, you can't get much more marketable then that.

Musashi
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I always found the whole retiring jersey numbers quite ridiculous, retiring a player's number who didn't even play for your team is even worse.

DenButsu
12-03-2007, 02:27 AM
Nobody owns a number

Well, technically speaking, no... but still...

It's not "for the number" that we remember MJ - of course you're right about that. But it is burned into the skulls of every NBA fan (and even many non-fans): "Jordan is No. 23". Commentators, announcers, journalists, columnists, reporters, fans - "number 23" was pretty much used by everybody as one of his nicknames. Iverson doesn't own the two words from the English language "The Answer", either, but if you play word association with anybody...

NBA... The Answer...

What are they going to say?

NBA... 23...

That's Michael Jordan. Of course.

JordansBulls
12-03-2007, 02:36 AM
Think of all the NBA Greats to wear #33.

Kareem
Bird
Pippen
Hill
Alonzo
Ewing

to name a few.

Also some of the greats to wear #32
Magic
Karl Malone
Shaq

Hakeem
Shaq
Pierce

Dominique
Duncan
Garnett

Kidd
Garnett

Wade
Iverson

to just name a few.

Also Lebron already said MJ was his idol so I don't see anything wrong with wearing his number. If he didn't like MJ or wasn't a fan of his, then yes he should have worn another number.

Chronz
12-03-2007, 07:07 AM
What you dont remember the year he took Miami all the way

jonydepth
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Its pathetic a team would retire jordans number in their town...
He was a bull and his legacy belongs to them.. its got nothing to do with the number...LBJ will be a cav when he retires..
Miami will have Shaq & Zo n wade to retire so i think they shud get no 23 down from the rafters

Hellcrooner
12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
it is stupid if you do so then you retire #32 in every building because of Magic and JUlius retire all the numbers 1 for RObertson all the 13s for Wilts the sixes for Russell the 33s for Kareem and Bird etc.

ITS PLAIN STUPID.

and i will always say it MICHAEL JORDAN is ONE of the candidates for GOAT but tehre are others(Magic, Kareem, WIlt, BIg O, Russell, Bird)who meet the requirements to eb considered GOat too.

Let the people CHOOSE not NIke or Stern or Mcdonalfs IMPOSSE you one

Bostonkilla
01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Think of all the NBA Greats to wear #33.

Kareem
Bird
Pippen
Hill
Alonzo
Ewing

to name a few.

Also some of the greats to wear #32
Magic
Karl Malone
Shaq

Hakeem
Shaq
Pierce

Dominique
Duncan
Garnett

Kidd
Garnett

Wade
Iverson

to just name a few.

Also Lebron already said MJ was his idol so I don't see anything wrong with wearing his number. If he didn't like MJ or wasn't a fan of his, then yes he should have worn another number.
__________________________________________________ _______________
All the greats seem fair. But "PAUL PIERCE" does not belong there! :confused:

GoatMilk
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I think a certain somebody named Dywane had something to do with this...

Draco
01-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Riley coached both Knick and Heat teams that couldn't get past Jordan in the playoffs. Riley once said, "no one's going to win this thing until he retires."

Ni55anpat
01-12-2009, 02:57 PM
It was a class act by the heat

They respected the man and his legacy

They retired his jersey because he was a idol to many and #23 should not be worn by anybody on the heat

superkegger
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
lol, i saw this and saw musashi posted, and was like holy ****, musashi is back! lol. then i saw someone for some unknown reason posted in a thread over a year old.

IRUAM #21
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Riley's idea

HiphopRelated
01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Riley being Riley

Iron24th
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
yeah agree with most of you,that's stupid to retire a number,when the player hasn't played for the team,his legacy is in chi-town.

vigilantex69
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I always found the whole retiring jersey numbers quite ridiculous, retiring a player's number who didn't even play for your team is even worse.

100% Agreed. I really like the idea of retiring it for the team he played for but honestly, with how many teams players play for nowadays its just rediculously hard. Not to mention he never played in Miami? Thats just stupid

MiamiHeat
01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I think it was for him helping a cause for something that happened in Miami not just only his greatness

colinskik
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Its pathetic a team would retire jordans number in their town...
He was a bull and his legacy belongs to them.. its got nothing to do with the number...LBJ will be a cav when he retires..
Miami will have Shaq & Zo n wade to retire so i think they shud get no 23 down from the rafters
I'm not so sure Miami will retire Shaq's number. LA will for sure ... at least they should. But if Miami retires Shaq's number the should they also retire Posey's number? I mean, how many years was Shaq there? He will always be remembered as a Laker.

On #23 -- that is and always will be synonymous with MJ. I respect Lebron for taking 23 as a tribute to the greatest player ever, but if he had his own unique number that would be a plus for his brand.

Jordan's number should be retired in Chi-town only. I wasn't aware that Gretzsky's number was retired in different arenas ... is that true? The only number in sport that should be retired by every team (and is) is Jackie Robinson's. I don't need to explain why.

madiaz3
01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
yeah i made this...in 2007

Punkindrublic03
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
You know what's sad.... Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp NOT having their numbers retired by the seattle supersonics before the franchise moved to OKC. it is a sad sad thing.

Muttman73
01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Jordan was the greatest...

GoatMilk
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
You know what's sad.... Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp NOT having their numbers retired by the seattle supersonics before the franchise moved to OKC. it is a sad sad thing.

I miss the supersonics :(

basketball3553
01-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I disagree, nobody remembers Jordan sheerly for his number alone, they remember his championships and his famous free throw line dunk.
I understand what you're saying, but if you say to most sports fan what's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of #23, they will probably say Michael Jordan. He's not remembered for his number alone, but that's a big part in it.

HAMMERHEAD44
01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
The NBA should retire Michael Jordan's number. The best to ever play.

da wood
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
i mean everything involving jordan revovles around his number he wore it its on his shoes hes only coming out with 23 jordans correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the 23's the last jordan shoe. come on what can labron do to top that. jordan taking cookies from the cavs even after he long gone. priceless.

Yogi
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
The NBA should retire Michael Jordan's number. The best to ever play.

That might not be true someday.

I'm against it.

La11
01-13-2009, 01:20 AM
they should retire MJ's number in Cleveland then Lebron would have to switch numbers and generate more revenue from new jerseys like kobe bryant did

your a disgrace to all of basketball if you are against to NBA retiring MJ's number.. Go play ping pong or tennis

thesparky33
01-13-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm against the NBA retiring MJ's number. He was a great player, best of all time IMO, etc etc. But at the same time, I think retiring a number is a team honor, regardless of the player even if it was Jordan. I think in Baseball with Jackie Robinson, thats a whole different situation. And with Gretzky, its indisputable in that he's the greatest ever, whereas with Jordan, not everyone agrees that he was the best ever.

BLOMETSFAN
01-13-2009, 07:38 AM
23=Jordan....it is as simple as that. IMO there is no need to retire his number league wide cause I just think that the players that idolized him growing up should be able to show that by wearing his number out of respect. As far as I know, there are only 2 numbers to be retired throughout an entire league, and those are Jackie Robinsons and that had more to do with the situation that he was put in then his stats and skills as a player, and Wayne Gretzky who is and will always be the best player to ever play in the NHL.

TMAC94
01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
what would lebron do?

BLOMETSFAN
01-13-2009, 08:19 AM
what would lebron do?

Anyone currently wearing the number would be able to keep wearing it probably. That is normally what they do.

fins08
01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Heat's retied numbers

MJ
Dan Marino

When Zo retires he will get in but for now a Bulls/Dolphins player