PDA

View Full Version : Injury Reports: Jones out 1-2 weeks; Hunter may return after All-Star break

DenButsu
10-06-2007, 03:55 AM
From 6abc.com (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?id=3050777&sport=nba&ft=ss):

Martin has kept the knee wrapped and iced for the first few days of training camp, but got his first full-contact action on Friday. "It feels good. I'm doing more each day," Martin said. "Just incorporate more basketball the further we go. I felt if I was doing the four-on-four, three-on-three stuff, then I could do five-on-five."

A healthy Martin could make all the difference in the world. "He's going to make a big difference," Marcus Camby said. "He's just going to make added depth to our front court. He's playoff tested, battle tested. He's been to back-to-back finals, he knows what winning is all about."

#24 Lakerland
10-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Kenyon Martin (knees) took his biggest step to returning Friday, going through five-on-five scrimmages for the first time in nearly a calendar year.
"It felt good," said Martin. "Just doing all I can now. Just trying to get better, build up to Oct. 31." The plan remains to ease KMart back by monitoring his minutes through much of the first three months. Around the All-star break, if he's pain-free, the Nuggets will increase his minutes

-DenverPost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7096510)

NYK
10-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Martin will never be the same again not even close to what he once was.

Vinsane#15
10-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Wish him all the best. K-Mart goes back to his former self.

tranman
10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Anthony Carter broke a bone in his right hand during practice Saturday morning.
Carter fractured the third metacarpal. It figures to be a four- to six-week injury from him. Carter was expected to make the Nuggets as a backup point guard.

rotoworld

Does this affect his chances of making the team?

DenButsu
10-06-2007, 09:33 PM
rotoworld

Does this affect his chances of making the team?

From everything I've heard, all indications are that he will most definitely be on the roster. Karl loves him - told him he'd challenge Atkins for the starting pg spot. THAT obviously won't be happening anytime soon.

The bad news: A Nuggets player got injured.

The good news: He'll be back soon enough, and he comes off the bench, so the impact should be minimal in its overall effect on the team's performance. And at least he got in a good quality week of training camp before the injury, so he's probably worked into the fold to a certain degree - much better than if this had happened on day 1 of training camp.

Knock on wood, cross your fingers, pray to the basketball gods that this is the one and only "Nuggets annual beginning of season injury". :pray:

DenButsu
10-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Martin will never be the same again not even close to what he once was.

You know, I was looking in that crystal ball of yours just the other day, and it said the Knicks are pretty much gonna suck and once again won't get a layoff seed. :smoking:

Just kidding, of course. You don't have a crystal ball. Nobody knows if Kenyon Martin is really going to be able to come back and play well again, and nobody knows if the Knicks are going to be able to avoid sucking again.

These great mysteries are what make sports so fun. :cool:

BRAVE KID
10-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Sheesh these injuries, no more please.

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 06:16 AM
{Anthony} Carter fractured the third metacarpal (middle finger) on his right hand near the end of practice...this injury usually requires up to six weeks of recovery. Carter is competing for the starting point guard spot with {Chucky} Atkins, who left ... because of a groin strain. He is listed as day to day. ...In other injury news, forward Kenyon Martin had no residual effects Saturday from his first day of five-on-five work Friday, but he suffered a strained groin that kept him out of much of practice. Forward Eduardo Najera (back) was held out of practice but is expected to return Monday, as is Nene (calf), who has not practiced so far.denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7106178)

I think I'm glad that training camp is finished. Sounds like we barely got out of this one alive...

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah, no more. The official line is "4-6 weeks" but one news report speculated that 6 is more like it with this type of injury, so don't look for him to be on the court till mid-late November, probably.

#24 Lakerland
10-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Denver Post- (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7106178)
Chucky Atkins left Saturday's Nuggets scrimmage because of a groin strain and is considered day-to-day.
Akins was competing for the starting point guard duties with Anthony Carter, who will miss 4-6 weeks due to a finger injury. Atkins should see a boost in assist numbers while playing for the high scoring Nuggets.

Kenyon Martin had no residual effects in his knees Saturday from his first day of five-on-five work Friday.
KMart did suffer a strained groin that kept him out of much of practice though. He's got an impressive upside when he's healthy, but has been a major question mark over the majority of his career due to injuries. Keep that in mind of Draft Day.

Nene (calf) remains sidelined during Nuggets training camp, but hopes to return soon.
"I'm hoping next week we get Nene back on the court," coach George Karl said. "I think he'll be better by next week." Nene enjoyed a nice breakout season in 06-07 and will look to build upon those numbers this year.

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for posting reports in here LL - already had that one covered, though :cool:

#24 Lakerland
10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Haha, but you I got mislead by your Thread Title. You can't blame me.:)

BRAVE KID
10-07-2007, 01:51 PM
What is this the training camp of hell?

BRAVE KID
10-07-2007, 01:52 PM
We can assume Diawara is going to be the defensive go to guy right? please Karl.

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 08:19 PM
We can assume Diawara is going to be the defensive go to guy right? please Karl.

At least in Carter's absence, I think that's probably a safe assumption. Once he's back, though, he has that "GK veteran advantage" over Yakhouba, I'd guess. In the preseason especially, though, I think we can expect to see Diawara getting some good minutes.

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Haha, but you I got mislead by your Thread Title. You can't blame me.:)

Not blaming you at all. I've done the same thing about 27 times in the Broncos forum - just ask dbroncos. :laugh2:

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 08:22 PM
What is this the training camp of hell?

Actually, wasn't that the Broncos training camp? The Nugs got through this comparatively well, I'd say...

BRAVE KID
10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Actually, wasn't that the Broncos training camp? The Nugs got through this comparatively well, I'd say...Humm not really, unless I am forgetting something.

BRAVE KID
10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Karl has no choice in the pre-season he has to give Diawara minutes.

DenButsu
10-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Humm not really, unless I am forgetting something.

Really? Granted, I know you're much more informed about Broncos stuff than me, but when I was checking in on training camp reports it seemed like players were going down left and right... no?

BRAVE KID
10-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Really? Granted, I know you're much more informed about Broncos stuff than me, but when I was checking in on training camp reports it seemed like players were going down left and right... no?
I am probably forgetting something, too mad about the pathetic performance they are putting up recently.

TheFuture6
10-07-2007, 11:58 PM
I am probably forgetting something, too mad about the pathetic performance they are putting up recently.

Ugh, Broncos talk...

I am certainly glad about K-Mart, not that he got hurt of course, but the fact that his knees have shown no ill affect so far. Keep up the recovery big man.

DenButsu
10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
From ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=3055065):

DENVER -- Denver Nuggets guard Anthony Carter will undergo surgery Wednesday to repair a broken bone in his right hand.

Carter will have screws inserted into his third metacarpal, which he fractured during practice Saturday morning. A return timeline is expected after the surgery.

Carter, 6-foot-2, averaged three points, 5.5 assists and 1.5 rebounds in two games for the Nuggets last season. In eight years in the NBA, Carter's average is 4.7 points, 3.7 assists and two rebounds in 364 games for Miami, San Antonio, Minnesota and Denver.

Surgery? Metal screws?!? Sounds like it must have been a really bad break. Crap.

#24 Lakerland
10-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Rock Mountain News- (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5717936,00.html)
Chucky Atkins (groin), Kenyon Martin (knee, groin), Eduardo Najera (back strain) Anthony Carter (hand) and Nene (calf strain) are out for Tuesday's exhibition game against the Clippers, leaving coach George Karl with 13 players available.
Marcus Camby is healthy, but says he will sit out a few games just as a precaution, while most of the aforementioned players are dealing with serious injuries. Carter is having hand surgery and will miss 4-to-6 weeks, Nene is still trying to recover from the calf injury he suffered in Vegas over the summer and KMart is trying to work ihs way back from a pair of microfracture surgeries.

DenButsu
10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
So I guess the question is: Who plays power forward?

Will it go to Kleiza, or maybe Melo? I'm thinking Kleiza, since they'll want to avoid putting Melo into too much of a heavy physical contact situation.

Camden Guru
10-09-2007, 02:41 PM
i hope Kmart can recover some. i really enjoy watching him play especially when him and kidd were together.

#24 Lakerland
10-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Coach George Karl expects forward Kenyon Martin to play in a preseason game next week.
Martin is coming off two microfracture surgeries and is a long shot to have fantasy value or stay healthy this season
Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5718973,00.html)

Point Guard Chucky Atkins is expected to miss one more preseason game for the Nuggets with a groin injury.
He should be ready to go for the start of the season, and all signs are still pointing to him starting at point guard.
Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5718973,00.html)

Nene's gimpy knee and injured calf have him on the shelf for the Nuggets, and no timetable has been set on his return.
We're not going to drop him down the list just yet, but if there's not any positive news coming out about his situation next week, his fantasy value will have to take a hit.

DenButsu
10-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks, LL.

That's excellent news about K-Mart, who as of the beginning of training camp just a week ago was not expected to play in any pre-season games at all, but probably for the regular season. Still, I hope Nene's condition gets back on par quick enough to have him around for big minutes by the regular season, because I definitely do NOT want to see Kenyon push it too hard.

DenButsu
10-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Nuggets guard Anthony Carter had surgery on his right hand Wednesday and is expected to return in about six weeks.
Team officials said Carter had three screws inserted into his third metacarpal, which he fractured during practice on Saturday. This should assure that Chucky Atkins is the opening-night starter at point guard, if his groin is healed by then.rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&filter_teams=DEN&id=675)

DenButsu
10-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Anthony Carter, who is expected to be back in four to six weeks after fracturing the third metacarpal on his right hand, said he could return as early as Nov. 10.
"I'm just going to rehab it and do my therapy as fast as possible, not rushing it or anything like that, where I feel comfortable and get back out there," said Carter. His first physical therapy appointment is Monday, where it will be determined when and how he can begin conditioning.rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&filter_teams=DEN&id=675)

DenButsu
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
:cry:

DenButsu
10-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Guard Allen Iverson was injured in practice Wednesday at the Pepsi Center, suffering a left quadriceps contusion when he collided with center Steven Hunter.

"He got kneed in the thigh," coach George Karl said. "Doesn't seem to be anything long term. They said his range of motion was fine."

The initial prognosis on Iverson is day to day, but the injury might shelve him for a preseason game tonight at Phoenix (8 MDT, TNT). It also lengthens a Nuggets infirmary report that includes big men Kenyon Martin, Nene, Marcus Camby and Eduardo Najera and point guard Chucky Atkins. rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5731164,00.html)

So, no 100% healthy PGs now.

Also, K-mart, Nene, Najera and (mabye) Atkins were mentioned as probable tonight, with Camby "doubtful".

I'm guessing:

Chucky Atkins
Bobby Jones
Carmelo Anthony
Kenyon Martin
Nene

for the starting 5.

mgthompson
10-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Not good, season hasn't started yet and the Nuggets hospital is filling up.

DenButsu
10-26-2007, 10:42 AM
from the rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5732288,00.html):

Atkins injured

Nuggets guard Chucky Atkins aggravated his strained right groin early in the fourth quarter of the preseason game Thursday, a 116-113 loss to the Phoenix Suns at the U.S. Airways Center, and left in great pain.

Nuggets coach George Karl said he's "concerned" about Atkins, who will be evaluated today, when more will be known about how long he might be out.

"It's real, real sore and in pain right now," Atkins said after the game. "I felt my groin pop."

Article also has blurbs on Iverson (played by choice), Smith (wants to stay in Denver), Diawara (might start - please no), and Jones (he "intrigues").

mgthompson
10-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I was really impressed by the way JR Smith played yesterday. He wasn't just standing there waiting to shoot a three, he followed up rebounds and put back dunks. He drove the lane hard for a couple of lay-ups, got to the line.

Although he makes bad decisions, he is a great player to have for our team, when he plays like he did yesterday. Also Bobby Jones and Von Wafer are nice too.

Funny tidbit:

During the game the announce said, "Besides Kleiza and Diawara, Smith is the the 3 point shooter of the team."

Diawara???

DenButsu
10-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Diawara???

:laugh:

onetwo88
10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/atkins-injured-102707.shtml

That groin strain is serious!

TheFuture6
10-27-2007, 06:42 PM
:sigh:

Great, that means more PT for AI at the point, and more PT to our core of mediocre SGs...

DenButsu
10-27-2007, 07:45 PM
:sigh:

Great, that means more PT for AI at the point, and more PT to our core of mediocre SGs...

That's the good part, imo. The injuries themselves, of course, being the bad.

I don't think enough progress was made in seeing who, amongst our so-so sgs, might really be able to step up to the task of putting in say 25-27 minutes. We're going to need somebody doing that on a consistent basis, and we don't know who that somebody is yet. I personally think it's going to be Bobby Jones, because, in spite of J.R.'s recent - yep, I'll say it - great performance, I think he'll soon show mental lapses again and Karl's ire will land him more bench minutes. Jones was showing he could do enough in all areas of the game - defense, scoring, rebounding, passing, and just general hard work and hustle - that he appears to be the best candidate. And I wouldn't rule out VW yet, either. He may be prone to mistakes for now, but he's only been playing real NBA ball (as opposed to D-league) for a very short time, and once he gets his bearings a little bit better he's already proven that he can shoot like crazy, which really is key to making our offense more potent.

Don't forget, too, that Karl has talked of Melo spending some time at the 2 in the infamous AI-Melo-Kmart-Nene-Camby lineup, and Kleiza can do a good enough job there for stretches as well.

Carter should be back by mid-November. I was pissed when they gave Wilks the nod over Roberson, but thinking more about it now, I'm guessing it was simply because he's more of a veteran who can hit the ground running a little bit better, and probably handle the job of running the offense with a little more stability and fewer mistakes. Since he's probably pretty much temporary anyways, I don't think it's a horrible call.

Our schedule for the first 10 games is not that brutal. We're on the road a lot, but we're facing a lot of teams that we should be able to beat, even with AC and Chucky out.

Hopefully we can solve the shooting guard puzzle without paying the expense of more losses than we should drop.

BRAVE KID
10-27-2007, 09:08 PM
once again we can't go through a season without someone being out for a long period of time. it's a freakin curse.

cevoice
10-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Don't forget, too, that Karl has talked of Melo spending some time at the 2 in the infamous AI-Melo-Kmart-Nene-Camby lineup, and Kleiza can do a good enough job there for stretches as well.

Now you putting all your eggs in one basket. Some of those guys suppose to be our bench players, Cause when those starters get tired we're screwed with our bench. We have to spread them out.

DenButsu
10-28-2007, 02:59 AM
Now you putting all your eggs in one basket. Some of those guys suppose to be our bench players, Cause when those starters get tired we're screwed with our bench. We have to spread them out.

Yeah, that's a good point, but it is only a temporary situation, assuming everyone recovers as they're expected. And they tested out J.R. at the point (scary thought, I know) in the last preseason game and he ended up with 7 assists. Even without Atkins and Carter, we're still 6 guards deep (AI, Smith, Wafer, Jones, diawara, Wilks) and 7 bigs deep (Melo, Kleiza, Nene, Camby, K-Mart, Najera, Hunter - the first two able to swing a little time at the 2, as mentioned before), so I don't think we're in too dire straits for now. There is, of course, the fact that Kenyon will be looking at limited minutes and J.R. will be suspended for the first 3 games. But we're still deeper than we were for the playoffs.

DenButsu
11-02-2007, 12:30 AM
None of the recovering Nuggets big men reported any setbacks after Wednesday’s 120-103.

Kenyon Martin (recovering from right-knee surgery), Nene (calf, knee) and Marcus Camby (back spasms) all practiced Thursday at the Pepsi Center and none is listed on the injury report for Friday’s game at Minnesota.

Martin was all smiles, once cutting in on an Allen Iverson television interview, covering the microphone and saying "blah, blah, blah." Without even cracking a smile, Iverson, who was answering a question about Martin, jokingly said: "I like having him on my team but can’t stand to be around him." Martin will not play back-to-back games in November, but the Nuggets still were not certain which game Martin will place next week when Denver travels to New York and Boston on successive nights. rockymountain news (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5737080,00.html)

Denbutsu <<<<----- crosses fingers

DenButsu
11-03-2007, 05:52 AM
CARTER UPDATE

Guard Anthony Carter, who broke his right hand Oct. 6, expects to have his cast removed Monday. It might be late November before he returns.

Carter anticipates practicing within a week. Regarding game action, he said, "Maybe 2 1/2, three weeks (from Monday). I just have to go by how I feel."

If that timetable proves accurate, Nov. 23 against Minnesota would be his earliest return. rockymountiannews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5738552,00.html)

BRAVE KID
11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Lets not rush anything here, take your time Carter we are going to need your defensive skills later in the season.

DenButsu
11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
The Nuggets lost their third point guard when Michael Wilks strained his right hamstring in the second quarter and didn't return. Wilks was re-signed after Denver lost Anthony Carter to a broken right hand and Chucky Atkins to a severe groin strain. Carter is expected to be out four to six weeks and Atkins six to eight weeks. So, Iverson ran the point and logged 46 1/2 minutes.

"It's tough when three of your point guards are injured and not playing and A.I. is playing the point all the time and you also don't have the ability to put another ball-handler on the court," Karl said. "And the conditioning of my team is not great. The injuries, the limited minutes on Kenyon [Martin] and Nene."

Karl said he might put 'Melo at the point, but Anthony said Wilks expects to be back soon.espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=271104007)

Wruff
11-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Really sucks about our guards. Tough way to open the season.

DenButsu
11-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Really sucks about our guards. Tough way to open the season.

It's almost worth it just to see Melo play point, if that happens.

Almost, but not really.

I would really like to see him try to take on a true distributor role for a while though. I think it would be a good experience for him.

DenButsu
11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Carter improving.

Carter had the cast taken off his fractured right hand, and he believes he can return to the lineup in the next two weeks. Carter will see his doctor Monday and will begin drills with a ball shortly thereafter.denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7389202)

That should help.

BRAVE KID
11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
We need Carter big time. Defense Defense Defense.

DenButsu
11-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Nuggets forward Nene left Wednesday night's game against the Celtics with a sprained left thumb and will not return.
Preliminary X-rays were negative and he will have an MRI on Thursday. The Nuggets are having trouble keeping their big men healthy and Eduardo Najera could be on the verge of putting up some solid fantasy numbers. rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&filter_teams=DEN&id=854)

TheFuture6
11-08-2007, 01:34 AM
An injury!

We venture into the unknown.

BRAVE KID
11-08-2007, 02:51 AM
Perfect time to use Hunter.

cwebb4
11-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Nene out up to 6 weeks with a thumb injury.

DenButsu
11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Nene out up to 6 weeks with a thumb injury.

Yep. :pity:

Nuggets power forward Nene will have surgery Friday to repair a torn ulner collateral ligament in his left thumb, the team announced Thursday night. He is expected to miss at least six weeks. The injury occurred during Wednesday night's loss at Boston. Nene had averaged 6.4 points per game and 5.2 rebounds in 19.4 minutes.
The Nuggets' plan was to slowly bring back starting power forward Kenyon Martin, allowing him to rest his knee in the first game's of back-to-backs. But the caveat was Nene would be available to play power forward during those games. With Nene out, Martin will start at power forward
Denver Nuggets Friday at Washington, the first game of a back-to-back. denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7408437)

Wonderful - he'll be sitting on his fat *** and eating deep fried twinkies for 6 weeks and completely undo all the conditioning he's been working on for the past 2 months. Fantastic.

And so begins another season of wonderful luck for the Nuggets...

DenButsu
11-09-2007, 12:26 AM
If Karl doesn't start giving Hunter, Jones and Wafer some minutes now he is truly insane. We simply have to dig deeper into our bench, if for no other reason than to not re-aggravate K-Mart's (and possibly Camby's) old injuries. Slide LK and Melo into more SF/PF roles, and ease the pressure on AI by getting a better guard rotation going.

This:

Melo-Kleiza
K-Mart (limit 20 min.)-Najera
Camby

...just isn't enough.

BRAVE KID
11-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Wow. So continues the curse ofearlry season injuries that have a long lasting recuperation. Nene isn't going to be a factor this season.

Wruff
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Nene a big disappointment this season. Unprofessional and careless comming to camp all bloated as usual, and getting injured in the preseason because of it. This could have been a big year for him, but he squandered all of that and the Nuggets suffer the consequences.

Players who use the regular season to get into shape don't belong in the NBA.

Now he's sitting on his *** again for six weeks eating ding-dongs. Just how he likes it.

DenButsu
11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
He hadn't been before, but now he is. I hope it's truly because his recovery permits it, and that they're not pushing him ahead of schedule because of the Nene situation.

Martin has been cleared to play in back-to-backs, so he will also play on Saturday night at Indiana, but Karl said he isn't "going to go crazy on the minutes," keeping Martin in the 20-minute range. Martin returned this season from knee surgery, after missing 80 games last season.denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7417530)

TheFuture6
11-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Six weeks... Karl better be ready to give Hunter some minutes, if we play small all the time, then we are going to get killed.

TheFuture6
11-10-2007, 07:12 AM
The timing does seem a little suspicious, but as long as they keep his minutes down, and make sure he is not pushing it too hard, then he should be fine. To this point he is averaging 21 minutes per game, and showing no ill-effects, at least on the court. If he stays around there, adds 10 points per game with 5-6 rebounds, and plays solid defense, then we might be able to have a decent frontcourt rotation until Nene can return. But if Martin gets hurt, then we are going to be in it deep.

BRAVE KID
11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
We still need to use Hunter..

TheFuture6
11-10-2007, 08:01 PM
We still need to use Hunter..

Exactly, is there a reason he is not playing, or does George Karl really like using Najera at center that much?

DenButsu
11-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Exactly, is there a reason he is not playing, or does George Karl really like using Najera at center that much?

He loves Najera at center - and he wants him to jack up as many 3s as possible, too.

TheFuture6
11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
He loves Najera at center - and he wants him to jack up as many 3s as possible, too.

Ah yes, the brilliant mind of our coach.

DenButsu
11-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Nuggets point guard Anthony Carter, who broke his right hand Oct. 6, is eyeing a Nov. 27 return against Indiana. Carter visited the doctor Monday and said he can resume contact work in practice in 1 1/2 weeks.

"We don't want to rush it," said Carter, who is shooting and dribbling after being cleared by the doctor for that and said he expects to be cleared to play during a Nov. 26 visit.

Meanwhile, point guard Mike Wilks missed his fifth straight game with a strained right hamstring. Wilks hopes to practice today and play Wednesday against Portland.

"I've never had an injury linger as long," he said. rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5746094,00.html)

TheFuture6
11-14-2007, 02:43 AM
The question now is, do we want either back so soon with the way Iverson and Smith have been playing the past couple games?

DenButsu
11-14-2007, 04:18 AM
The question now is, do we want either back so soon with the way Iverson and Smith have been playing the past couple games?

Yeah, great point, and I've been wondering about it myself.

In very general terms, good things have been happening the more minutes Diawara, Smith and Jones have gotten.

Carter comes back... whose playing time gets cut to make room for him? He and Atkins both back... same question, bigger impact.

Although, I guess right now we have 4 guys out with 11 active. Limit 12 active, so the real question is: Who goes on the inactive list? Both Wilks and Carter can come back and cause only one player to get bumped to inactive. So I'm thinking...

1) Wafer (sorry Fut, but you know he's first in line)

Then when Atkins gets back...

2) Wilks? I don't want to see any of our other sgs get put on the inactive list

Then when Nene gets back...

3) Hunter ... Nene's return negating the need for a backup C who never gets played anyhow

Those are the guesses I'm going with.

DenButsu
11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Wilks back

After missing five games because of a strained right hamstring, Nuggets point guard Mike Wilks is expected to be available tonight. It remains to be seen how much he plays.

"J.R. has played two of his three best games at point guard (recently)," Karl said. "He's bigger and more athletic. There's some assets there. It depends on how frustrated we get. If we're a frustrated team, Mike will probably (back up Allen Iverson). If we're not, I'm going to play J.R. there."

Wilks tested the hamstring in practice Tuesday.

"I made some moves, and it held up pretty good," said Wilks, saying his health is an "eight or 8 1/2" on a scale of one to 10. rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5746496,00.html)

eman
11-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Shoot forget Karl I am liking J.R. Smith at point guard. I harken back to the Doug Collins coached Chicago Bulls who had an athletic young player who needed to get some guidance in his game that would allow him to play with the other members of his team. That person was no other than Micheal Jordan. The experiment only lasted until Doug Collins was fired the next year, yet I felt that Mike got a little wiser for the experience. I am in no way saying that J.R. is Micheal Jordan but playing the point will give him a better understanding of the offense and his role in it. Oh yeah I called this after Wilks went down.

DJiC
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
hm a 6'6 pg a 6'0 sg a 6'8 sf 6'11 pf and a 7'0 c very interesting......so is jr smith our ron harper?

DenButsu
11-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Wilks played 14:29, shooting 2-4 for 5 points with 3 rebounds, ZERO assists, 1 turnover and 1 steal ... he got the Nuggets' only 3 point shot (as a team they went 1-13... Wilks was 1-1).

By comparison, J.R. Smith in 25:16 had 10 points on 3-8 shooting (0-3 from the arc but 4-4 from the line), 1 rebound, 5 assists, 3 steals and 4 turnovers.

We know J.R. can hit the 3, and he's showing determination on the defensive end, too. We also know that Diawara, Kleiza and Jones can all play the SG.

So my question is... why even bother playing Wilks? Sure, keep him around if Smith starts blowing it, but otherwise I'd rather see J.R. come in for AI at the point.

DenButsu
11-15-2007, 02:18 AM
I haven't found anything in print about this yet, but will post it if I do.

Basically, the SSIA... the announcer said that Hunter couldn't play against Portland because he had an inflamed knee.

I don't know if this is an isolated event or an ongoing one. But if it's a continuation of the same problem(s) he was having during training camp and the pre-season, it could go a long way in explaining his very limited minutes and below-expectation performance level in the regular season thus far.

cevoice
11-15-2007, 03:52 AM
The doctors need to just hurry up and give him a quick surgery or something. If he miss a couple of weeks, we can afford it cause right now we don't need him but when the season goes on and the players start to wear down we are going to need his shot blocking skills. Better now than later.

DenButsu
11-15-2007, 08:27 AM
A bit more from Tuesday's Nuggets report at rockymountainnews.com (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5746496,00.html):

19minutes played this season by center Steven Hunter, the Nuggets' low for the 13 players who have gotten action. Hunter, bothered by right knee inflammation, did not practice after reporting soreness and was to have been examined by a doctor.

DenButsu
11-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Looking at the box score again, maybe the best impact Wilks can have (aside from on-court production) is simply this:

AI only played for 34 minutes.

If we can pull out a good number of wins without Iverson having to play 43-45 minute games and getting burned out by playoff time, that will be a great thing.

DenButsu
11-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Nuggets' Hunter to miss a month post-surgery

Backup center Steven Hunter, suffering from a right knee inflammation, will undergo surgery today. Nuggets coach George Karl speculated Hunter will be out at least a month.

Though Hunter rarely plays, he has been helpful during practice, which creates a hole in the practice routine.

"I'm nervous about my big guys," Karl said today. "The one thing I always said is that injuries have a way of slowing down your progress. You can kind of Band-Aid success, but you don't build fundamentals and foundation." denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_7473189)

“I feel like I ain’t even played yet,’’ Hunter said today. “I don’t really even feel like part of the team right now. I just want to get healthy and work hard and try to get some minutes and take it from there.’’

Hunter, 26, has experienced inflammation in his knee since training camp and said there are some “loose particles’’ that will be removed through surgery.

A timetable for his return will be set after the operation.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/15/surgery-nuggets-center-hunter/)

DenButsu
11-17-2007, 05:33 AM
From rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/16/martin-crosses-fingers-on-health/):

Martin crosses fingers on health
It's early, but signs look good after two interrupted seasons

"I feel better. I haven't had any pain, any setbacks," Martin said. "It's just getting the minutes together to where I can play more. I feel physically fine. Hopefully, it can stay that way."

Having learned to be patient, Martin is complying - sometimes against every competitive fiber of his being - with doctors' orders to limit his playing time to 20 to 25 minutes per game.

"I'm ahead of schedule," he said. "In my mind, I know if I had to play 30 minutes right now, I could. But it's probably not in my best interests right now. I'm just following the time frame and trying to stick with it and not get frustrated with it."

"I think we're happy with where he is. I don't know if we're ahead of schedule," Karl said. "If he feels good, we feel good. I don't think we're going to drastically change the plan. The goal is that he's healthy, strong and totally healed by February.

DenButsu
11-23-2007, 12:12 PM
With 10:18 left in the fourth quarter, Nuggets reserve forward Linas Kleiza left the game with a sprained left ankle. He is questionable for Friday's game.denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7530478)

cevoice
11-24-2007, 11:49 AM
ok it was interesting at first but now its getting on my nerves. I'm talking about these injuries. One person come back in Carter and another person leaves in Kleiza. Are we ever going to have all 12 guys on the court this season? I'm starting to think NO!! which is getting me a little worried about the playoffs.

DenButsu
11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
KLEIZA TAKES A SEAT

Nuggets coach George Karl doesn't expect forward Linas Kleiza to return before Thursday against the Lakers. Kleiza sprained his left ankle Wednesday, and he wore a walking boot Friday.

"He's pushing for Tuesday (against Indiana), but watching him wobble I'm thinking it'll be a week," said Karl, who said Kleiza in a "quiet way" has become one of Denver's "top six or seven players."

While Kleiza wants to re- turn Tuesday, he won't rush.

"I've just got to get my ankle right," he said. "But it feels way better than (Thursday)." rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/24/tired-nuggets-put-pedal-to-metal-late/)

DenButsu
11-24-2007, 12:10 PM
ok it was interesting at first but now its getting on my nerves. I'm talking about these injuries. One person come back in Carter and another person leaves in Kleiza. Are we ever going to have all 12 guys on the court this season? I'm starting to think NO!! which is getting me a little worried about the playoffs.

Yeah... The Nuggets are constantly dealing with various setbacks - some self imposed, some born of circumstance, and a lot just plain old rotten luck.

It would be really nice if, for example, we had a healthy, intact, drama-free team from the All-Star break through the playoffs.

Please, basketball gods? Just once? :worthy:

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Kenyon Martin strained his right knee late in the first half and did not return. The team said he would be evaluated in Denver on Sunday.denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7551633)

liliverson819
11-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Sunday is basically Judgement Day for the Nuggets.

If K-Mart will miss 1 or 2 weeks fine let him heal and we can go back to playing how we need to play.

If K-Mart is gone the rest of the season then we might as well prepare for the off-season because we will be done about 5 games into the playoffs. I mean Chucky is good but hes not a team changer.

TheFuture6
11-25-2007, 02:42 AM
:sad2: (Saddest emoticon ever...)

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 03:03 AM
:sad2: (Saddest emoticon ever...)

weep (http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/417/weepha7.gif) < pretty sad, too

Get well, K-Mart. :pray:

TheFuture6
11-25-2007, 03:10 AM
weep (http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/417/weepha7.gif) < pretty sad, too

Get well, K-Mart. :pray:

That is pretty sad, but when sad2 looks straight at me, it makes me want to weep.

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 04:49 AM
:laugh2:

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 10:07 PM
The season had started out so well for Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin, who has had microfracture knee surgery on each knee in the past 2 ½ years. But now there might be reason for concern.

The Nuggets announced Sunday that Martin, who did not play in the second half of Saturday’s loss at Houston due to a right knee strain, will have an MRI on Monday. That’s the same knee Martin had surgery on last November, and missed the rest of the season.

Reached Sunday, Nuggets athletic trainer Jim Gillen did not want to speculate on Martin’s injury, pending the results of Monday’s exam. Gillen said Martin playing his fourth game in five nights Saturday was not a factor in the injury.

Martin left the 109-81 loss to the Rockets with 2:43 left in the first half, and didn’t return. The Nuggets, who next play host to Indiana on Tuesday, did not practice Sunday.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/25/nuggets-martin-have-mri-monday/)

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

TheFuture6
11-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Why Monday?

No MRIs on Sunday policy?

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Why Monday?

No MRIs on Sunday policy?

Maybe a hospital thing? Nobody in on Sundays to staff the MRI room or something?

TheFuture6
11-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe a hospital thing? Nobody in on Sundays to staff the MRI room or something?

Just seems a little strange.

I have always wondered who pays for all the medical stuff.

I assume the team, but was never sure.

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Just seems a little strange.

I have always wondered who pays for all the medical stuff.

I assume the team, but was never sure.

Given their *fairly nice* salaries, I'd imagine that health insurance is one of the bennies they get. :smoking:

I think there's no question that the team pays for everything. They're protecting their assets.

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
More from the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7552343):

"We're just trying to be cautious when we're dealing with my knees," said Martin, who walked out of the arena with no discernable limp. "No worries yet, just trying to be cautious. I won't be worried until I hear bad news. Right now there's no news. They just looked at it."

Asked what his gut feeling told him, Martin said, "Ain't nothing wrong. But I've been wrong before. Hopefully, I'm right this time."

That limp worries me...

TheFuture6
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
More from the Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7552343):

That limp worries me...

Doesn't it say he had no dicernable limp?

DenButsu
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Doesn't it say he had no dicernable limp?

Yes, THANK YOU. :o

I've got pretty bad peepers (multiple surgeries in both... glaucoma, cataracts, retinopathy... left eye vision is pretty much shot, etc....ok, sorry, too much information...) so I tend to miss details sometimes.

Anyhow, let me revise my original statement, then:

His no-limp encourages me. :nod:

TheFuture6
11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Yes, THANK YOU. :o

I've got pretty bad peepers (multiple surgeries in both... glaucoma, cataracts, retinopathy... left eye vision is pretty much shot, etc....ok, sorry, too much information...) so I tend to miss details sometimes.

Anyhow, let me revise my original statement, then:

His no-limp encourages me. :nod:

:laugh2:

It encourages me too. Especially with how he is talking about it, it does not seem to be a big deal.

Cracka2HI!
11-26-2007, 08:47 AM
MAN this would suck for Kenyon and the Nuggets! I wish the guy the best. I always hate when a guy signs a huge contract and then can't live up to it because of injury.

BTW the reason they wait to do things like MRI's right away is to let the swelling go down. I don't know if you realize this but they can't even tell whats wrong with a body part if it is extremely swollen. I once had to wait 3 days to get an MRI on an my arm which was clearly injured.

DenButsu
11-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Cracka, for the sentiment and for the info.

I hope Brand will make a full recovery, too. Perhaps the silver lining is Kaman's development in his absence. He really seems to have picked his game up this season, and if he can keep playing like this after Brand returns, those two plus Thomas should be a frontcourt to reckon with for sure.

DenButsu
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
The Nuggets also announced forward Linas Kleiza, who has missed the past two games with a sprained left ankle, is showing much improvement and will participate in shooting and court work today.

Also, guard Chucky Atkins, out until next month with a groin strain, will begin running and court work this week.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/26/martin-to-have-mri-on-surgically-repaired-knee/)

DenButsu
11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
K-Mart's injury not serious. Just a bruised bone.
Won't play in Indiana, but is listed as day-to-day.

An MRI of Kenyon Martin's right knee revealed a bone bruise, which makes the power forward doubtful for Tuesday's home game against Indiana. But the Nuggets took a collective sigh of relief, worried that the injury could have been worse, especially because Martin just returned from microfracture surgery on the same knee.

"We just know it won't be a long-term thing," Nuggets athletic trainer Jim Gillen said. "As far as when, it's hard to say. But he was just relieved as anybody would be." http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7563491

He will not play Tuesday when the Nuggets play host to the Indiana Pacers...

Nuggets athletic trainer Jim Gillen said Martin playing his fourth game in five nights Saturday was not a factor.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/26/martin-to-have-mri-on-surgically-repaired-knee/)

TheFuture6
11-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Excellent, good to know that we won't miss him for an extended period of time.

DenButsu
11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Excellent, good to know that we won't miss him for an extended period of time.

Yes, indeed. :o

I still say we dump Wilks and pick up Webber or another formidable FA big, or at least bring up McCoy. We just have to take the pressure off K-Mart.

Cracka2HI!
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks, Cracka, for the sentiment and for the info.

I hope Brand will make a full recovery, too. Perhaps the silver lining is Kaman's development in his absence. He really seems to have picked his game up this season, and if he can keep playing like this after Brand returns, those two plus Thomas should be a frontcourt to reckon with for sure.

Exactly! Kaman is soo much better and I'm not sure he can keep it up if he isn't our top option inside. He has basically said so himself, he says he feels confident because he knows he is going to keep getting the ball. I also agree that IF Kaman can play at the same level with Brand we will be scary!

If we can stay around .500 until he comes back I think we can get into the playoffs and threaten. Kind of like GS did last year!! I think you guys are pretty good too I actually like the Nuggets a lot since they got A.I.(he is my fav player) I hope Nene and Kenyon get healthy for you guys! Hey never know maybe we meet in the playoffs again!!

liliverson819
11-26-2007, 11:38 PM
HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH thank you basketball Gods

cwebb4
11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
He is breathing a sigh of relief. Hopefully he will be ready for the 3 game home stand.

DenButsu
12-13-2007, 04:29 AM
"It's not really my groin right now, my groin is fine," Atkins said after some pregame shooting drills Wednesday night. "It's trying to get my hip flexor to fire back because I haven't used it in so long. Once I get that back in order, I'm good. Hopefully, by the day after Christmas I'll be good."

"My mind is ready to get back out there, but my body ain't ready, and I want to make sure I'm out there 110 percent," Atkins said. "I don't want to have no pain. I went through that before. It's obviously been a letdown from the beginning when I wasn't able to play, but I've pretty much gotten over that now and I'm just looking forward to coming back and helping the team."

"I'm shooting the ball a little better now, my body's gotten in better shape because I've been doing so many exercises, so many things," Atkins said. "I feel good. I feel confident. I know once I get out there I'm going to play well. It's just a matter of me getting out there now. I think when I step on the court I'll be 100 percent. I'm improving right now at such a fast rate because every day I've been working on my hip flexor thing, and it's starting to feel better." denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7705056)

DenButsu
12-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Nuggets power forward Nene, who is rehabbing after left thumb surgery, has been cleared to begin ball-handling and shooting, and he will be cleared for full basketball activity on Friday.

Denver coach George Karl expects Nene to begin playing in games around Jan. 1. Nene will wear a small splint and tape on his thumb.

Also, Nuggets point guard Chucky Atkins (groin) has begun full-speed running, and he has targeted a return date of Dec. 26. denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7752377)

t-mac1nukka
12-20-2007, 06:43 PM
good i need nene back for fantasybasketball!!

jeff86
12-21-2007, 01:11 AM
denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_7752377)

hmmm well i guess that report was wrong

DenButsu
12-21-2007, 01:25 AM
hmmm well i guess that report was wrong

Yeah, big surprise to see him show up for this game. They've been saying "12/26" for at least a week now.

C-Dub
12-21-2007, 08:09 PM
13 points aint bad for a return game. It'll be nice to have him for offense when we need him. I think Carter is doing a pretty good job though too, so will there be a starting PG change later or do you think Carter will continue to start?

DenButsu
01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Jones injures shoulder in warm-ups

While coach George Karl stood in a Pepsi Center hallway and said, "Dahntay's going to have his hands full," Dahntay Jones was on the Pepsi Center court, suffering a peculiar pregame injury.

The Nuggets' starting guard was working on plays with assistant coach Jamahl Mosley before the Nuggets-Kings game and Jones was injured in a collision, suffering a first-degree separation of his right shoulder. Jones didn't play Tuesday, and he's unlikely to play Sunday against Utah. Karl estimated Jones will be out 1-2 weeks. Renaldo Balkman started in Jones' place.

Karl had planned to start Jones on Kevin Martin, Sacramento's best player. Instead, Karl opted for Balkman, a defensive-minded player, who usually plays in the low post.

Jones doesn't score much (6.2 points per game), but his defensive hustle helps ignite the Nuggets. This was the first game he missed this season. dp (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_11507568?source=rss)

HUNTER ON MEND

Nuggets center Steve Hunter, who had knee surgery Nov. 14, said he could return as soon as shortly after the Feb. 15 All-Star Game.

Hunter began running in a pool Monday and is two weeks from court running.

"My knee feels great," said Hunter, who expects to return no later than early March.rocky (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/19/nuggets-report-smith-gets-hot/)

BRAVE KID
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
that is great news concerning hunter. If we are willing to wait, he could be the big that we need.

SlowMo
01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, prior to this update, the last post was from December of 2007... if only that were the last injury that affected the nuggets... sigh.

Oh well, I think these injuries are good for the nuggets in the long run. With two starters out, some of our bench guys actually get playing time. It forces Karl to play some of our talented, but rarely used players. Balkman has the skills to be a good off-the bench defense and hustle guy. Plus, now it looks like JR will be getting some starting time (which he probably should have been getting all season). It'll be interesting to see what happens to the line-up as D-Jones heals.

DenButsu
01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah I think Karl being forced to use Balkman will hopefully be the silver lining to the Dahntay injury. If Balkman plays a lot and integrates himself to Karl's satisfaction into the Nuggets system (which apparently he hadn't before - GK said he didn't know the offense), then the chance that he'll be in the rotation in the latter half of the season is greatly increased.

C-Dub
01-23-2009, 11:34 AM
this is awesome news, think about the options we'll have off the bench if karl decides to use him hunter this time, Birdman, Hunter, Balkman, Smith, Weems, AC, KLEIZA....i still think we should try and get Lee for him, it would be better for us in the long run in my opinion, more resting time for the starting forwards

SideWinder989
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
the news of jones is good for me xD not in a sick twisted way (yay he got hurt hope he dies) but in a way that now balkman starts and we all love balkman :)

DenButsu
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
the news of jones is good for me xD not in a sick twisted way (yay he got hurt hope he dies) but in a way that now balkman starts and we all love balkman :)

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4820/balkmanhairjy5.jpg

SideWinder989
01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
oh my god you could start an eco system in there ! xD