PDA

View Full Version : The Esteban Batista Thread

JWalk126
10-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Source: EuroBasket.com

Esteban Batista (208-F/C-83) rescinded his contract with the Boston Celtics and will continue his career in Europa, announced Urubasket, an Uruguayan web. Batsita was going to be confirmed by Boston to play during the season, but Batista estimated he was going to have few minutes and asked the Boston to leave. Batista is the only Uruguayan playing in the NBA. During the two last season he played for the Atlanta Hawks

I heard about this somewhere before.... who do you think will take him?

Joshtd1
10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Not sure, but I think he would be alot better off playing internationally, then in the NBA

JWalk126
10-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I take it back, I dont know if he wants to play in Europe.. but its likely thats where he will end up

Batista leaves Celtics, likely headed to Europe

Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/22334/arti.html)

BOSTON (NBA) - Esteban Batista, the first Uruguayan to play in the NBA, has been waived by the Boston Celtics.

The 2.08m center, who signed for Atlanta Hawks in 2005 after an inpressive showing for his country at the FIBA Americas Championship, spent a couple of seasons with the Atlantic Hawks and after that contract expired, he joined the Celtics this pre-season but faced the prospect of playing very little.

Batista asked to be released by the club.

His agent, Oscar Moglia, told urubasket.com : "He was not going to be cut, but we've asked Boston to rescind due to the few opportunities to play he would have this season."

Moglia did not reveal if Batista was set to join a new team but he is expected to cross the Atlantic and play in Europe.

ZFreak
10-18-2007, 03:25 AM
From what I saw of him in FIBA Americas he's better under fiba rules so IMO he should go to Europe, where he would thrive and eventually even get more money. He just needs to find a quality team, maybe Spain (language).

JWalk126
10-18-2007, 04:23 AM
there is news going around that he agreed with Maccabi Tel Aviv, but the only source I have is in Hebrew....

Brazilian guard Alex Garcia is also on Maccabi Tel Aviv

I think if Maccabi had a healthy Vujcic, Bynum and Burstein in addition to Batista and Garcia they would have done better against the knicks
but its just a thought

arlubas
10-18-2007, 04:44 AM
^ If Maccabi gets Batista then they are also a big favorite for the Euroleague. Can't waiy for this upcoming season!

T-Wolf
10-18-2007, 04:59 AM
I would like to see him in Red Star Belgrade jersey because we need C, but I now its unreal to expect that. Anyway I just want to metion that Omar Cook is great player. He is averaging 19.6 points (56% 2FG and 40% 3FG), 7.5 assists and 3 steals per match. His efficiency rating per game is 24.4!

JWalk126
10-18-2007, 06:29 AM
according to sources from Maccabi's management this isnt true... but who knows for sure

JWalk126
10-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Batista signs with Maccabi Tel Aviv

Source: EuroBasket.com

Esteban Batista (208-F/C-83) signed a two years contract with Maccabi Tel Aviv and he will fly next Saturday to Israel, the player announced. Batista finished his contract with the Boston Celtics last Tuesday 16 looking for an opportunity to get more time on the court, he said. The first Uruguayan ever to play within the NBA had only one preseason game with the Celtics (7 points, 5 rebounds 19 minutes) before he decide to left. The Israeli championship is scheduled to begin Oct. 28

Chronz
10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Hes tore it up in international competition the past few years, and every year my friend says hes going to blow up, he predicted Diaw's breakout year so I believed him but Batista's time has come and gone. I dont know what it is but he doesnt play as good against the NBA, must be a mental thing with him.

JWalk126
10-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I have no idea.... I wonder how he will do with Tel Aviv, he'll for sure get minutes. he'll have more minutes until Vujcic is healthy again, then he'll play a bit less, but he'll still get a decent amount of minutes...

oh, and a side note: since Batista is in, Murilio Da Rosa is going to be released

arlubas
10-18-2007, 07:42 PM
according to sources from Maccabi's management this isnt true... but who knows for sure

Looks like those sources weren't so accurate. :cool:

JWalk126
10-18-2007, 07:52 PM
it was a preliminary agreement.... there was almost no way of knowing it was actually going to go through

Corey
10-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Esteban Batista, who was waived by the Boston Celtics on Tuesday, is set to sign with Israeli side Maccabi Tel Aviv in a bid to find more playing time.

The center, who was the first Uruguayan to play in the NBA, spent the last two campaigns with the Atlanta Hawks before making the move to Boston in preseason.

But he has now decided to try his luck overseas after playing just one preseason game for the Celtics.

"I'm fed up of sitting on the bench and I felt it might be the same after the Celtics' European tour," the 24-year-old told www.urubasket.com.

Batista is set to sign a two-year deal with Maccabi Tel Aviv in time for their opening domestic fixture against Nahariya.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txcelticsbatista&prov=st&type=lgns)

JWalk126
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
he signed the deal yesterday, so its final

ZFreak
10-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Maccabi's roster is loaded with talent now. Hope that coach Kattash can mold a team out of them. He isn't a very experienced coach so we'll see...

arlubas
10-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Yeap, like I said, solid addition to the Maccabi club. Their team just got better.

arlubas
10-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Maccabi's roster is loaded with talent now. Hope that coach Kattash can mold a team out of them. He isn't a very experienced coach so we'll see...

I still can't get used to the word coach sitting next to his last name to be honest.

Sports Illustrator
10-31-2007, 08:37 PM
This is a damn shame that he couldn't play in the NBA. What will probably end up happening is if he destroys in the Maccabi team, he'll probably get looked at again for the NBA. He left Boston simply because of the amount of playing time that he'd most likely end up getting in Boston. It wouldn't be so easy to get playing time in Boston with all of those stars on the team aside with Kendrick Perkins who will be the starting Center for Boston.

He went through 2 years of frustration in Atlanta without having many chances to get any minutes on the floor. So he didn't want the same thing to happen again while playing for Boston.

What I don't understand is, why couldn't he just sign with a different team where he'd get more opportunities to play? A team like the Charlotte Bobcats. That would of been more of a wise decision to make IMO.

ZFreak
10-31-2007, 09:03 PM
This is a damn shame that he couldn't play in the NBA. What will probably end up happening is if he destroys in the Maccabi league, he'll probably get looked at again for the NBA. He left Boston simply because of the amount of playing time that he'd most likely end up getting in Boston. It wouldn't be so easy to get playing time in Boston with all of those stars on the team aside with Kendrick Perkins who will be the starting Center for Boston.

He went through 2 years of frustration in Atlanta without having many chances to get any minutes on the floor. So he didn't want the same thing to happen again while playing for Boston.

What I don't understand is, why couldn't he just sign with a different team where he'd get more opportunities to play? A team like the Charlotte Bobcats. That would of been more of a wise decision to make IMO.

I doubt he could get the same amount of money in the NBA as he does in Maccabi and he has playing time almost guarantied. He probably figures that if he has a good season in Europe he could get a better contract next season in the NBA.

JWalk126
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
yeah, and by the way Maccabi Tel Aviv is a team, not a league
its no big deal just, letting you know :)

Sports Illustrator
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I doubt he could get the same amount of money in the NBA as he does in Maccabi and he has playing time almost guarantied. He probably figures that if he has a good season in Europe he could get a better contract next season in the NBA.

That is certainly the plan. Prove himself further more so that he can get steady playing time in the NBA, no matter where he goes. This way he will certainly be noticed by NBA scouts as he was noticed in that game that Uruguay played against the United States.

He should be playing very well in Maccabi though. I just don't understand why he couldn't go to a different team like the Charlotte Bobcats where he'd get more playing then he would get in Boston.

arlubas
11-10-2007, 08:18 PM
That is certainly the plan. Prove himself further more so that he can get steady playing time in the NBA, no matter where he goes. This way he will certainly be noticed by NBA scouts as he was noticed in that game that Uruguay played against the United States.

He should be playing very well in Maccabi though. I just don't understand why he couldn't go to a different team like the Charlotte Bobcats where he'd get more playing then he would get in Boston.

Maybe he was just fed up with trying desperately to crack the rotation of an NBA team and decided he would try a more "sure" way to get some playing time in the league.

Sports Illustrator
11-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Maybe he was just fed up with trying desperately to crack the rotation of an NBA team and decided he would try a more "sure" way to get some playing time in the league.

He'd most likely be able to prove himself more and play more of an impact in Maccabi then an NBA team. He'd even get paid more. Kind of what Luis Scola did and now he's getting paid a lot more money then what he normally would. But it took him a few years to be able to come back to the NBA, that's because of his contract though which is different from Esteban Batista's new contract.

ZFreak
11-10-2007, 10:57 PM
He'd most likely be able to prove himself more and play more of an impact in Maccabi then an NBA team. He'd even get paid more. Kind of what Luis Scola did and now he's getting paid a lot more money then what he normally would. But it took him a few years to be able to come back to the NBA, that's because of his contract though which is different from Esteban Batista's new contract.
Baptista probably made sure he can opt out of the contract if a good NBA offer comes around.

JWalk126
11-11-2007, 01:50 AM
Batista is getting a big chance to show his stuff, now that Vujcic is injured again, he did well against Efes on Thursday

Sports Illustrator
11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Batista is getting a big chance to show his stuff, now that Vujcic is injured again, he did well against Efes on Thursday

Wow, that is an incredible sig. I had no idea that you were a Batista fan, but I am glad to see that.

Do you have any recent updates on Esteban Batista in Maccabi? How has his performance been going as of recently? Is there a site you can give me for this kind of information? Thanks in advance.

rufo4100
11-17-2007, 11:14 PM
He was terrible in Boston in the preseason. Happy to hear he is doing well overseas. Perhaps he is just not quick enough for the NBA.

Sports Illustrator
11-18-2007, 01:35 AM
He was terrible in Boston in the preseason. Happy to hear he is doing well overseas. Perhaps he is just not quick enough for the NBA.

He wasn't really doing bad, during practices in Boston he'd dominate against guys like Paul Davis who were around his caliber. During Pre-season, he wasn't getting the amount of minutes that he should of gotten or he wished to get. So if he wouldn't get playing time during pre-season then he'd get less playing time during the regular season. He just decided to go to Maccabi and play for them where he'd get more of a role. He didn't want the same thing happen to him again, like when he played for the Atlanta Hawks.

I don't think the right word for him is "quick", he just needed a lot to learn defensively. He definitely has offensive skills, as well as rebounding skill + strength. He probably wasn't NBA ready because of his defense.

rufo4100
11-18-2007, 11:29 PM
The Celtics cut him...it wasnt his choice to leave...he didnt have a choice.

JWalk126
11-19-2007, 06:26 AM
according to the articles posted in this thread, he was the one who terminated the contract with the Celtics; he chose to leave

he played 1 pre-season game

JWalk126
11-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow, that is an incredible sig. I had no idea that you were a Batista fan, but I am glad to see that.

Do you have any recent updates on Esteban Batista in Maccabi? How has his performance been going as of recently? Is there a site you can give me for this kind of information? Thanks in advance.

he scored 14 pts against Efes 2 weeks ago...

I only have this sig because of that game, and because I hope he starts @ center; I got it off a fan site

JWalk126
11-19-2007, 06:34 AM
the headline from the Efes - Maccabi match was
Batista beat Pilsen and Blatt
Maccabi beat Pilsen in a close and exciting game 73-67. Batista helped Kattash forget about Vujcic’s absence by playing a great game.

Source: Official Maccabi Tel Aviv Website (http://www.maccabi.co.il/News3.asp?ID=1119&language=english)

Maccabi beat Efes Pilsen and their Israeli coach David Blatt at home at the close of a troubled week in a close and exciting game. Maccabi were apprehensive due to Vijcic’s absence, but found a fitting replacement, the Uruguayan Esteban Batista who played exceptionally well scoring 14 points.

Both teams started with untidy messy play. Marcus Fizer scored 4 consecutive points in a good start, but his teammates started clocking up turnovers. Maccabi was lucky that Pilsen also took to the court somewhat apprehensively and clocked a few turnovers by not being able to keep possession of the ball. Drew Nicholas put the Turks into a 7-4 lead with a basket and foul, 3.5 minutes into the game. Four consecutive points by Lior Eliyahu including a massive dunk from a pass by Bynum, kept Maccabi hot on the trail.

Bynum put Maccabi into the lead with a three, 11-9 halfway into the first quarter. Drew Nicholas tried to keep Pilsen in the game but a three from Cummings followed by a steal that ended in a basket by Eliyahu put Maccabi in the lead at 16-13, 3 minutes to the 10 minute mark. Arslan and Hutson for the Turks and Sharp for Maccabi leveled the first quarter score at 18-18.

When the game resumed, Blumenthal and Morris led Maccabi to a 4 point lead within a minute, but Fizer, frustrated from having received a previous foul, fouled again and a technical was awarded to the Turks who leveled the score at 22-22, a minute and a half into the quarter. The big man was in foul trouble and benched. Batista replaced Fizer and scored his first points. Edgy an inaccurate play followed with the referees blowing unnecessarily.

Derek Sharp got the Nokia crowd onto their feet with a tremendous three. Lior Eliyahu continued his excellent play putting Maccabi in the lead at 29-22 making David Blatt bolt to request a timeout, 6 minutes to the buzzer. Pilsen resumed a little more focused, and Maccabi looked stuck once again, allowing Gregory and Hutson to level at 29-29, 4 minutes to half time. The score stayed level until the buzzer sounded after Bynum’s free throws. 36-35 to Maccabi.

Bynum led Maccabi to a 40-35 lead after scoring points and feeding Batista with an excellent pass one minute into the second half. Nicholas got back into form by scoring his first two points after a few long minutes. Wood added one point from the free throw line putting Pilsen into the lead for the first time since the start of the game, 44-43 to Pilsen, half way into the quarter. Nicholas continued in excellent form by adding 4 more points on the scoreboard. On the other side, Fizer was again in trouble and the lead diminished to 50-46, two and a half minutes to the buzzer.

Woods added 2 and Kattash took a break to stop the landslide. Pilsen, not affected at all by the timeout continued to hit Maccabi hard. A three by Sconnie Penn and Pilsen were in a record lead of nine points, 55-46. Yotam Halperin cleverly penetrated the Turkish defense to finalize the quarter’s score at 55-50, one quarter to go.

The terrible attacking play by both teams throughout the first three quarters did not suddenly disappear in the last quarter. Batista broke the ice, capitalizing on a great pass by Halperin, 55-53, a minute and a half from the start. The Ecuadorian center positioned himself well during the following attacks to basket a missed shot from Halperin and finish a stinging fast-break that then followed. Maccabi took the lead 57-55 with 7 minutes to go. Maccabi desperately did all they could to stop Nicholas but the American sharp shooter put Pilsen back in lead with a gigantic three. Sharp immediately reciprocated with a fantastic three of his own, 62-60, 5 minutes to go.

Both teams started a shooting battle from the free-throw line with Sharp and Eliyahu shooting accurately and Bynum then adding 2 points from half the distance, 68-64, 3 minutes left.

Sharp missed a difficult three but Morris came to the rescue with a powerful block on Penn, leaving the lead at 4 points to Maccabi. Will Bynum missed a difficult shot at a crucial moment but Morris scored a three thrown whilst under time pressure making it 71-65 to Maccabi with a minute to go. Two successful free throws and a convincing rebound from Bynum finalized the score at 73-67.

Maccabi: Batista 14, Eliyahu 13, Morris 11, Bynum 10, Sharp 8, Fizer 7, Cummings 4, Halperin 2.

Pilsen: Hutson 21, Nicholas 14, Gregory 12, Woods 9, Gonlum 4, Kurtoglu 3, Penn 3, Arslan 1.

this past thursday, Tel Aviv lost on the road in Spain 93-70... Batista scored 9 points and got 6 rebounds (Marcus Fizer got the start and scored 15 pts)

Sports Illustrator
11-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Jwalk126, thanks a lot for everything you just posted. It is all greatly appreciated. Maybe we can keep this thread to be the Official Esteban Batista thread and have this thread to track him out throughout the season?

I enjoy watching Esteban's game very much, even when he starting playing ball at age 16, I knew he could be a special player in the future. He may of not gotten the best start, but he is definitely improving and learning how to play with the new system. We may see much more of him as time goes along, I expect his performance to be even better in a few weeks or in a few months.

For the record, Esteban chose to leave the Boston Celtics. The Celtics would have loved to keep him even though his performance wasn't that great during the practices. He felt that he wasn't going to get any playing time and decided to go a place where he'd actually get to play a more consistent role whether it was in the NBA or somewhere else.

JWalk126
11-20-2007, 04:04 AM
For the record, Esteban chose to leave the Boston Celtics. The Celtics would have loved to keep him even though his performance wasn't that great during the practices. He felt that he wasn't going to get any playing time and decided to go a place where he'd actually get to play a more consistent role whether it was in the NBA or somewhere else.

thats what I said... in fact I think thats what everyone said except for rufo

JWalk126
11-20-2007, 05:55 AM
I find it funny that his myspace page has his nickname as Esty... since its usually short for Esther which is a girls name

not so funny, but I found it a little amusing

JWalk126
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
tomorrow (thursday) @ 1:45 pm EST the Maccabi - Cibona game should be on this Game Link (mms://s08wm.castup.net/993080003-52.wmv)

if you want to check it out

Sports Illustrator
11-20-2007, 11:55 PM
thats what I said... in fact I think thats what everyone said except for rufo

Yea, I was just clarifying it for rufo.

Thanks for using my suggestion, I will be visiting in here very often. I can see this forum going a little more active with this thread.

I find it funny that his myspace page has his nickname as Esty... since its usually short for Esther which is a girls name

not so funny, but I found it a little amusing

Can I get the link to his myspace page?

tomorrow (thursday) @ 1:45 pm EST the Maccabi - Cibona game should be on this Game Link (mms://s08wm.castup.net/993080003-52.wmv)

if you want to check it out

Yea I'll definitely look into that game. Thanks for the info.

JWalk126
11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Can I get the link to his myspace page?

Yea I'll definitely look into that game. Thanks for the info.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=37574219

JWalk126
11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
here is his player page from the Maccabi Tel Aviv site... it only has a gallery at the moment, no statistics or profile (atleast not yet)
http://www.maccabi.co.il/MaccabiPersonalPlayer2.asp?PLN=15&Year=2008&language=english

Sports Illustrator
11-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Not bad, it also seems like Maccabi got a great squad with Vanteego Cummings, Alex Garcia, Yotam Halperin, Terrence Morris, Will Bynum, Derrick Sharp, Nikola Vujcic and Marcus Fizer.

Is Esteban Batista currently starting? I know that Marcus Fizer is capable of playing the Power Forward or Center position. In the NBA, he was just strictly a Power Forward when he played with the Bulls. Marcus Fizer did very well though, I remember seeing him play in some Puerto Rican league if I'm not mistaken. I noticed that he gained a lot of weight.

JWalk126
11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
if I remember correctly, Fizer started the past couple of games @ center, and Batista was backing him up. Marcus had a pretty good game against Jerusalem this week with 28 pts in 28 minutes.

Bynum hasnt been producing lately, and the team is a little worried.

Sharp is awesome, he is a funny guy... been on the team for 12 seasons

Sports Illustrator
11-21-2007, 03:37 PM
if I remember correctly, Fizer started the past couple of games @ center, and Batista was backing him up. Marcus had a pretty good game against Jerusalem this week with 28 pts in 28 minutes.

Bynum hasnt been producing lately, and the team is a little worried.

Sharp is awesome, he is a funny guy... been on the team for 12 seasons

What is the starting lineup for Maccabi? I would think that both Esteban Batista and Marcus Fizer would be starting in the frontcourt for Maccabi, even though they are both natural Power Forwards, or at least in the NBA that's what they are.

It would make more sense for Fizer to start over Batista since he has more experience, but then again, that kills Batista's chances of going back in the NBA and receiving full minutes. I'm not sure why Fizer doesn't have the same goals as he probably had the same opportunity during the Off-Season since he played well in the Puerto Rican league.

JWalk126
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I know that in the Israeli league, the starting lineup is Fizer, Cummings, Morris, Halperin and Eliyahu...

I'm not sure what it is in the Euroleague, because it isnt required that atleast 2 Israelis be on the court at the any time of the game. Although I assume its the same lineup

Sports Illustrator
11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I know that in the Israeli league, the starting lineup is Fizer, Cummings, Morris, Halperin and Eliyahu...

I'm not sure what it is in the Euroleague, because it isnt required that atleast 2 Israelis be on the court at the any time of the game. Although I assume its the same lineup

It seems like Esteban Batista is going to really have to step it up then and play better then the way he's currently playing right now, in order to earn himself a starting spot on this Maccabi team. That is the only way he'll get highly noticed by NBA Scouts/Teams/GMs. That also means that his defense is also going to have to step up, as that is Esteban Batista's biggest weakness and may very well be the reason why he's currently not playing in the NBA.

At the very least, he's getting to play a lot more then when he played for the Hawks. And is likely getting more playing time then what he'd get while playing for the Boston Celtics along side of Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins.

JWalk126
11-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Fizer got injured last night. even though it doesnt seem too serious, Batista will probably get more minutes against Milano this Thursday.

Batista scored 9 pts last week vs Cibona in Euroleague play, and 11 pts against Afula in the Israeli BSL (last night)

Sports Illustrator
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Fizer got injured last night. even though it doesnt seem too serious, Batista will probably get more minutes against Milano this Thursday.

Batista scored 9 pts last week vs Cibona in Euroleague play, and 11 pts against Afula in the Israeli BSL (last night)

Thanks for the updates.

I think even when Marcus Fizer comes back healthy, we might see Esteban Batista starting later on in the season or maybe even soon. Esteban Batista needs more be more productive and now that Marcuz Fizer is currently injured, this is now his chance to shine and show what he can do. With the numbers that he's been putting up, it may seem that he isn't getting too many minutes or maybe he just doesn't get too many touches on the team. His rebounding numbers should always be up IMO, regardless of what happens.

JWalk126
11-26-2007, 04:44 PM
so in 7 games (combined Euroleague, and Israeli BSL) he is averaging 8.7 ppg, just under 5 rpg. the site I looked at didnt say how many minutes he played

Sports Illustrator
11-26-2007, 05:23 PM
so in 7 games (combined Euroleague, and Israeli BSL) he is averaging 8.7 ppg, just under 5 rpg. the site I looked at didnt say how many minutes he played

The number of minutes he's played per game is going to become very important, so this way we know what his his status as far as entering in the NBA once again and actually getting effective minutes. Let's be honest here, if he can't do it here, he can't do it in the NBA.

Anyhow, he is bounded to get more minutes now that Marcus Fizer is currently injured, even though it is not too serious of an injury. 8.7 ppg and having under 5 rpg coming off the bench still isn't TOO bad, but I think he is capable of doing better and even becoming a starter on this team.

JWalk126
11-28-2007, 04:22 PM
on the most recent update regarding vujcic, he will be healthy within the few weeks but he probably wont start playing until the Top 16 round

as far as this Thursday goes for the game vs Milano, Fizer is hurt but he will most likely start the game

so if you want to watch the game, its tomorrow (Thursday) @ 2:30 PM EST on that link I gave to you earlier. if you havent checked it out yet, the live webcast in in Hebrew, so it might be hard to follow whats going on
so if you dont want to do that you can probably follow the play by play on http://euroleague.net or http://yahoo.eurosport.com/basketball/euroleague/2007-2008/livefullpage.shtml

Sports Illustrator
11-28-2007, 11:31 PM
on the most recent update regarding vujcic, he will be healthy within the few weeks but he probably wont start playing until the Top 16 round

as far as this Thursday goes for the game vs Milano, Fizer is hurt but he will most likely start the game

so if you want to watch the game, its tomorrow (Thursday) @ 2:30 PM EST on that link I gave to you earlier. if you havent checked it out yet, the live webcast in in Hebrew, so it might be hard to follow whats going on
so if you dont want to do that you can probably follow the play by play on http://euroleague.net or http://yahoo.eurosport.com/basketball/euroleague/2007-2008/livefullpage.shtml

That first link doesn't work, just letting you know.

What type of players do teams like Unicaja Málaga have? Mostly the teams that are in First place as of currently. I thought Maccabi might of had respectively one of the best teams in the groups, apparently not according to their records.

Let's see what Esteban Batista is able to do tomorrow, I probably won't be able to watch the whole game but I'll try to see as much as I can.

JWalk126
11-29-2007, 09:45 AM
right, I forgot that the site only works with the www. so add that....

The team chemistry isnt working yet, alot of seasons start like this as far as Europe goes

JWalk126
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
well, Batista scored 11 pts on Thursday @ Milano, Fizer scored 3.... and Tel Aviv won that game 82-81 (if I remember correctly) I didnt watch the game because I was on a bus traveling back to where I'm staying, by the time I got back the game was over

JWalk126
12-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Maccabi got clobbered in the Israeli league on sunday (and its about time), Batista scored 9 pts

Sports Illustrator
12-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I honestly feel that Esteban Batista should be playing a lot better then what he is now, but then again, those are only the points he scored. I'm pretty sure that his rebounding numbers shouldn't be that bad though since he was a good rebounder in the little time that he played in the NBA.

JWalk126
12-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Batista scored 4 pts in Tel Aviv's 85-70 win over Aris this past thusrday

Sports Illustrator
12-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Batista scored 4 pts in Tel Aviv's 85-70 win over Aris this past thusrday

Either he's not getting enough minutes for what he's worth or he doesn't really belong in the NBA and should continue trying to settle in this league. The points he's scored doesn't tell much, or maybe he just has lots of great players on that team.

I understand he's not scoring well, but what about his rebounding numbers, his number of minutes played, his blocked shots, steals and etc.

JWalk126
12-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Maccabi won on Thursday @ Le Mans (France) 99-91 after squandering a 22 pt lead... Batista played 15 minutes, scored 10 pts and picked 6 rebounds

for his stats so far in Europe
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=DHD

Sports Illustrator
12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Maccabi won on Thursday @ Le Mans (France) 99-91 after squandering a 22 pt lead... Batista played 15 minutes, scored 10 pts and picked 6 rebounds

for his stats so far in Europe
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=DHD

Those stats aren't bad at all, for a guy who only plays 14 minutes per game. Imagine what he'd do if he were given more minutes. The reason for him coming to this league is so that he can get the opportunity to play more minutes and eventually get back to the NBA. That is not going to happen with only playing 14 minutes a night. He probably could of been playing 14 minutes a night with a team in the NBA, like the Celtics. You can never really know though.

JWalk126
01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Euroleague.net Interview: Esteban Batista
Source: Euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/features/interviews/i/22584/179/item)

On a per-minute basis, very few Euroleague players this season can claim to outperform a newcomer who arrived late from a country that never had a Euroleague player before. Esteban Batista of Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv has been 15 minutes per night of pure gold for the Israeli champs, especially after All-Euroleague center Nikola Vujcic was injured early in the season. Since then, and through a coaching change, Maccabi has climbed to an early Top 16 berth with Batista coming off the bench for 8.8 points and 4.6 rebounds in just 15 minutes per night. Although he hasn’t been around too long, Batista knows what the people of Tel Aviv expect from Maccabi. In the Euroleague.net interview, Batista talks about his past, what it was like joining Maccabi and why the team has improved recently. But more than anything else, he reminds everyone what the goal for the Israeli champ is. “It’s the same as with my team and all the people in Maccabi: To make the Final Four,” he told Euroleague.net. “We didn’t start well, but now we are in a good position in the group and since we are playing better, I think we can do it.”

Hi Esteban. As a late addition to Maccabi, how is your first Euroleague experience going for you this season?

“It was like a really good surprise, because when I first came over hear, I didn’t really have an idea about the Euroleague or Maccabi. And the team is really good and the league is at a really high level. So I am really happy to be a part of the Euroleague.”

Your route to the Euroleague is a unique one, from Uruguay to the second division in Spain, to the NBA and back again to one of Europe's historic teams. How do you handle so many interesting transitions?

“In the past years my career has changed a lot because I was playing in the second division in Spain then also came to the NBA. And after the NBA I come to one of the best teams in Europe. And this is a great opportunity to be here. I decided to come to Europe because I didn’t get a chance to play in the NBA and here I can prove that I can play.”

Other South American players have had big success in Europe, but you are the first Euroleague player from Uruguay. How much attention does your basketball success get back home in Montevideo?

“Everybody there knows the Euroleague. Everybody watches the Euroleague games. They only get one game a week, but everybody watches. And now that I’m here, everybody wants to what’s going on, to see if my team loses or my team wins. Or whatever. So they are paying a lot of attention to the Euroleague."

When you first left Uruguay, it was to sign with Real Madrid, but you were loaned to smaller clubs in Spain. Were you disappointed at the time, and how did you overcome that?

“Well, I was too young. I was just 19 years old. And I only began playing basketball when I was 15, so I really only had three or four years of experience. They sent me to a smaller team and I understood that wanted to see me play more. It was nice to be a part of Real Madrid, but it doesn’t really count because I never played there. But I’m really happy with my situation now.”

Maccabi has turned around a tough start to the season, including a coaching change. How has the change of coaches affected you?

“I think the change of coaches was really great for the Maccabi players. We started the season with great energy. I don’t want to say the other coach was bad, but we had to find where we were going. And now I think we are starting to feel more energy from the coach and to play more aggressive on defense. I think that’s the change with the new coach. Right now I think the team is going well, but we still have a lot to work on to get better.”

Now that you have seen the competition and what you can do here, what are your personal goals for the rest of this season?

“For me it’s the same as with my team and all the people in Maccabi: To make the Final Four. We didn’t start well, but now we are in a good position in the group and since we are playing better, I think we can do it.”

For most of your time at Maccabi, All-Euroleague center Nikola Vujcic has been injured, but now you might play together starting this week in Zagreb.What can fans expect when you are both on the floor together?

“I don’t know. I think Nikola is a great player. For example, before he was injured, I felt really comfortable playing with him. I think he’s in really good shape right now and I think it will be great for the team. We need a player like Nikola. Everybody knows what qualities he has and I think he’ll be great for us.”

Maccabi has one of its deepest frontcourts ever, with five big guys. As a player, do you appreciate the team's depth or is it frustrating as it takes away from your playing time?

“I think it’s good for us. You know, maybe we have too many bigs, and the game time for us is a little bit less, but if in the game it helps the team to win, it’s really good for us. And we all really want to win. The most important thing for us all is that Maccabi Tel Aviv is in the Final Four. We have five really good big men and we have to use them all.”

You are second in the Euroleague in offensive rebounds per minute. How do you describe your talent for grabbing offensive boards?

“It’s something natural, you know. I try to be there. That’s my way of playing. It’s one of the best things I do.”

Sports Illustrator
01-21-2008, 02:26 AM
You are second in the Euroleague in offensive rebounds per minute. How do you describe your talent for grabbing offensive boards?

“It’s something natural, you know. I try to be there. That’s my way of playing. It’s one of the best things I do.”

Imagine if he got more minutes, he would do greater things with the team. Its the same situation with the knicks and David Lee. Esteban Batista can score as well. His game speaks for itself everytime he plays for the Uruguay team.

JWalk126
01-23-2008, 08:51 AM
FAN OPINION: Esteban Batista can turn up the Heat on Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O'Neal

Source: Sportingo.com (http://www.sportingo.com/basketball/nba_alert_esteban_batista_can/1001,6556)

Esteban Damián Batista Hernández is a name to look out for in the basketball world. And he is a player I believe could make an impact in the NBA.

Like most young Uruguayans, Esteban grew up playing soccer on the beach and on the street, anywhere he could. One day in 2000, when he was returning to Montevideo by bus, the eyes of a Club Welcome fan lit up when he spotted a 6ft 10in giant he hoped someday would play for his team. The fan approached the giant and asked if he played basketball professionally, and surprisingly, Batista said that he had never played basketball. Shortly after, he received an invitation to try out for the team.

And that was the start of his career. In his first season playing at Welcome, he averaged 2.1 points in 23 games. More importantly, his team was second in the league. The next season, he averaged 6.2 points and 4.5 rebounds in 22 games. His team was again second.

He then moved north to Salto where he averaged 16.4 points in 28 games and caught the eye of several scouts. One of Europe's giants, Real Madrid, signed him later on that year. They then sent him on a loan to Pozuelo, also in Spain, where he averaged 8.9 points, and 7.4 rebounds in 23 games. Later on that year, he played in the Olympic qualifiers with Uruguay who finished in a weak ninth place.

Batista returned to Trouville, in Montevideo, in 2004 and the following years was back in Spain with LEB, a move that was to prove very effective. He averaged an impressive 10.6 points, and 5.5 rebounds. Then he went with the National team to compete in the FIBA Americas Championship but they failed to qualify for the World Cup in Japan. But Batista had many individual records. He averaged a tournament best 15.6 rebounds. He was also the 9th leading scorer in a tournament that included Dwyane Wade, LeBron, Carmelo, and many other NBA superstars.

He had a short, unsuccessful spell with Atlanta Hawks then joined the Uruguayan team for the Pan-American Games and the FIBA Americas Championships. In the Pan-American Games, he guided his team to 3rd place, including a win against Argentina in the semi-finals. In the FIBA Americas Championships, he again led the tournament in rebounding with 12.4 per game. He was also one of the top scorers with 20.8 points/game. And this tourney included Jason Kidd, Carmelo, LeBron and many other great NBA names.

He tried again with Boston in the NBA but played only 16 minutes in a pre-season game before the management decided to waive him. And he is now with Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv in Israel where he is a key player, having helped them to third place in their Euroleague group.

In my opinion, he could still do a great job with Miami Heat. Their two best centers are in trouble. This is supposed to be Alonzo Mourning's last season and right he's suffering a season-ending injury. Then we have the Big Fella, Shaquille O'Neal. Shaq can still get it done, but he's not the most important player on the court like he used to be and he's definitely on the decline. He is injured right now.

In Batista's stint in the NBA, he didn’t get it done, because of lack of playing time. But he has shown he can get it done against NBA material. He played in the FIBA Americas Championship against NBA players and he was simply amazing, and dominated. And playing with one of the elite of Europe, he's been outstanding. There is no doubt in my mind he should be back in the NBA soon.

Sports Illustrator
01-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I certainly think he can get the job done if he was given more playing time in the NBA. That has been the story being told for the longest time. He is certainly capable of playing for a team like the Miami Heat IMO, as long as Shaq and Alonzo Mourning aren't playing because lets not forget that Mark Blount is also one of the Centers for the Miami Heat.

Not sure if the fan or the person who wrote this article heard any rumor about Esteban Batista going to the Miami Heat, or if it was just a thought of his. I still have tremendous faith in this guy and I believe that he can really be successful, hopefully he can enter the NBA once again as soon as possible.

Joshtd1
01-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I know yall guys missed me, so I am back:smoking:

About Batista..he showed he could be a good player in the FIBA qualifying tournament..just sad that no team really decided to give him a chance.

JWalk126
02-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I could say the same thing about Sarunas Jasikivisomething

JWalk126
02-16-2008, 06:32 PM
big news
as posted in the Top 16 thread, Fizer is out for the remainder of the season and Vujcic is out for 2-3 weeks.... this means that Batista will have to step up to the plate and show everyone what he is made of

Sports Illustrator
02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
big news
as posted in the Top 16 thread, Fizer is out for the remainder of the season and Vujcic is out for 2-3 weeks.... this means that Batista will have to step up to the plate and show everyone what he is made of

Your right, this is huge for Esteban Batista. This can be the difference between him entering the NBA late in the season or at the beginning of the 2008-2009 season. If he has plans on returning to the NBA and playing lot of minutes, this is certainly his chance to shine.

I think he'll be fine, its going to take for him to flat out dominate and do everything he can during this time period. If he does bad, there is really no excuse for him because he'll be getting the sufficient amount of minutes in order to be able to impact.

JWalk126
03-19-2008, 09:14 AM
I find it funny that when it showed team leader for maccabi, Batista lead in 3p % with 100%, in which he only took one shot from 3 pt range

JWalk126
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
in todays quarterfinal, Esteban Batista played 12 minutes and scored 6 pts and picked 2 rebounds. he was thrown out of the game in the 4th quarter, I dont know why, and neither did the commentators. maybe the game recap which I'll post later will say something about it

Sports Illustrator
04-10-2008, 11:22 PM
in todays quarterfinal, Esteban Batista played 12 minutes and scored 6 pts and picked 2 rebounds. he was thrown out of the game in the 4th quarter, I dont know why, and neither did the commentators. maybe the game recap which I'll post later will say something about it

Thanks for the update. Pleas keep us posted on that.

Its a damn shame that he only plays very little amount of minutes.

JWalk126
04-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Source: Maccabi vs Barcelona Game Thread (http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207314) (8th post)

The game took an unexpected twist as a skirmish developed between Vonteego Cummings and Gianluca Basile. The two were subsequently ejected as were Maccabi’s Derrick Sharp and Esteban Batista for leaving the bench.

I heard that in the NBA when players leave the bench and enter the court they get ejected. However, this rule doesnt exist in European basketball. The announcers in the game were going nuts that the Ref was acting like he was an NBA referee. Sharp and Batista only went on the court to separate the fight...

Sports Illustrator
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Source: Maccabi vs Barcelona Game Thread (http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207314) (8th post)

I heard that in the NBA when players leave the bench and enter the court they get ejected. However, this rule doesnt exist in European basketball. The announcers in the game were going nuts that the Ref was acting like he was an NBA referee. Sharp and Batista only went on the court to separate the fight...

Wow, thats crazy. I know Vonteego Cummings can get crazy sometimes, he has that small temper at times.

If that rule doesn't exist in this league, then the referee was wrong in this act. This case can certainly be challenged, especially if Sharp and Batista got off the bench to stop the fight.

Thanks for the update.

JWalk126
04-13-2008, 07:13 AM
well, I'm not 100% sure that the rule isnt existent, but thats what the commentators on the radio were going nuts about

JWalk126
04-15-2008, 12:47 PM
this isnt so relevant to how Batista is really doing, but I just downloaded this patch for NBA Live 08 that adds the Israeli basketball league. Batista is mad slow, but he's a solid rebounder

JWalk126
04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Cummings, Sharp and Batista available for the Final Four
Source: Maccabi's Official website (http://www.maccabi.co.il/News3.asp?ID=1403&language=english)

Maccabi was fined by 3,000 Euros for objects that were thrown to court by the fans

The disciplinary judge of the Euroleague gave his sentence today in Swiss regarding the events which took place during game three of the quarter-finals series between Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv and AXA FC Barcelona on April 10th 2008.

The judge decided that Vonteego Cummings, Derrick Sharp and Esteban Batista that were disqualified for the game by the referees won't be fined and won't be disqualified to play in any future games as a result of the events. The meaning of this decision is that all three will play with Maccabi in the Final Four games in Madrid between 2nd and 4th of May.

Regarding the incident between Cummings and Gianluca Basile wrote the judge: "Cummings didn't hit and didn't try to hit Basile. Both players were separated quickly, the whole event didn't last more than 5 seconds and no one was injured." After reviewing the DVD of the game and reading the statements of both teams decided the judge not to take any further sanctions against Basile and Cummings.

Also in the case of Sharp and Batista decided the judge not to punish them in addition to the punished they suffered during the game, when they were clearly trying to stop the fight.

Barcelona's claim of "Violence by the Israeli fans towards Basile" was unconditionally denied by the disciplinary judge, who wrote that during the event with Cummings, which took place on the baseline and near the fans' seats, Basile expose himself to contact with the fans, and that in no stage he was in physical danger by the fans.

Maccabi was fined by 3,000 Euros for items that were thrown on court by the fans. In his decision the judge indicated Maccabi's exemplary disciplinary history.

on another note, Batista started in Maccabi's loss to Holon 101-99
he scored 18 pts and picked 11 rebs

dont know how many minutes (checked on 5 diff websites)

Sports Illustrator
04-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Cummings, Sharp and Batista available for the Final Four
Source: Maccabi's Official website (http://www.maccabi.co.il/News3.asp?ID=1403&language=english)

Maccabi was fined by 3,000 Euros for objects that were thrown to court by the fans

on another note, Batista started in Maccabi's loss to Holon 101-99
he scored 18 pts and picked 11 rebs

dont know how many minutes (checked on 5 diff websites)

Double-Double is not bad at all, especially in these types of games. That is what happens when you give Batista effective minutes where he can prove what he really has.

On another note, this certainly raise questions to my mind: Would Esteban Batista perform better (maybe not in double-double numbers, but better than what he did with Atlanta), if he were given more minutes in Atlanta? What will be Esteban Batista's destination after this?

JWalk126
04-23-2008, 04:18 AM
you mean after his 2 year contract with Maccabi? if Vujcic doesnt re-sign, he might stay

JWalk126
04-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Source: Jerusalem Post

With just a week and a half until the Euroleague Final Four tips off in Madrid, Maccabi Tel Aviv's preparations aren't exactly going as planned.

On Monday the perennial Israeli champion was beaten for the second time in three local league games, falling 101-99 at Hapoel Holon.

Even though the yellow and blue thundered past European powerhouse Barcelona in the Euroleague quarterfinals series a week and a half earlier, life back home has been a different story altogether.

Looking at the league standings Maccabi should have no problems reaching the Israeli Final Four, but after seeing the long faces in the dressing room in Holon after the game this week, it seems clear doubts have begun to creep into the camp.

Maccabi has only lost the league title in Israel once in the past 38 years, but on this form anything is possible come the end of May.

In its previous league game, which came directly after the fantastic Game 3 victory over Barca, Maccabi was lucky to pull out an overtime win over Hapoel Jerusalem.

After that game point guard Will Bynum admitted in a television interview with Sport5 that his teammates had played much of the contest as if they were still resting over the weekend and it was only in the dying moments that they switched back on.

The week before, in between the second and third games of the quarterfinal series, Maccabi was beaten at home by Bnei Hasharon, and on Sunday faces a tough trip to Ironi Nahariya, currently in fourth position in the BSL after winning its last two league games.

A dejected Esteban Batista, who scored 18 points against Holon emerged from the Maccabi dressing room on Monday trying to look forward, while unable to hide his disappointment with the team's recent performances.

"We know we have to work hard and we don't have to make a big balagan [commotion] about it. We know we have to be better," the Uruguyan center told The Jerusalem Post.

"I don't think all the championship depends on this game. We know we have to play the [Israeli] Final Four. We know we lost - what can I say."

In Israel it is often considered a given that Maccabi will win the league title, even since the format was changed from a playoff series into a single game final a couple of years ago.

However, there is now a feeling that maybe this won't be Tel Aviv's year, for the first time since Hapoel Galil Elyon triumphed under the leadership of legendary Maccabi coach Pini Gershon in 1993.

But, Batista refused to be fazed. "Everybody knows the history of Maccabi and we know what we have to do," he said. "But the season is not over. We know we have to get to the Final Four."

Maccabi's veteran captain Derrick Sharp also said he is keeping his eyes on the prize. "I'm never scared. It's the way the game goes." he said. "You can't win every game. We have to face some good teams."

Montepaschi Siena, Maccabi's opponent in the Euroleague semifinals on May 2, are having no such problems, storming towards a second successive Italian league title. This past weekend Siena won at Tisettanta Cantu.

Batista claimed he had not even begun thinking about Madrid, saying he is only focusing on the next game.

"We are thinking all we have to do is think about Nahariya in the next game and then after we will think about Madrid," he said.

Asked if he knows much about the Siena team Batista looked down and laughed. "Yeah, they're from Italy," he replied, before walking towards the exit of the Holon arena.

Yotam Halperin, the 24-year-old point guard, is clearly thinking differently, telling reporters on Tuesday that his mind is already on Madrid.

And then, in an interview with the Euroleague Web site Halperin said that while Maccabi takes each game at a time, "We know that Montepaschi is an outstanding team with quality at every position. I think that it's very difficult to point out a superstar on that team."

JWalk126
05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I was reading about the changes Maccabi Tel Aviv after the season, and who might leave the team.

if Vujcic leaves, it might mean that Batista will get the starting job since he signed for 2 seasons

JWalk126
06-08-2008, 05:39 AM
semi bad news for Esteban Batista

According to some sources in Italy, Slovenia and Russia, the Slovenian Power Forword\Center, Erazem Lorbek (25, 2.08) is near to sign with Maccabi Tel-Aviv, that need a replaceman to Nikola Vujcic.

which probably means that Batista wont get the starting job next season, but it doesnt necessarily mean that he wont less minutes

Sports Illustrator
06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
semi bad news for Esteban Batista

which probably means that Batista wont get the starting job next season, but it doesnt necessarily mean that he wont less minutes

If he had done really well for Maccabi, it really wouldn't matter who'd be signing with this team. I guess it could be safe to say that my hopes for Esteban Batista were way too high. At this point, I would think that he'd be doing more than just tearing down this league, but to see him with an unsecured starting spot is just really sad to see. I wonder where he'll end up after next season.

JWalk126
06-30-2008, 03:59 PM
some media in Israel is reporting that Real Madrid are interested in getting Batista, if they dont re-sign papadoupolas (or something)

JWalk126
07-02-2008, 04:57 PM
the MTA official fansite reported that Batista led Uruguay with 26 pts and 18 rebs to a 81-66 victory over Chile

JWalk126
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
in the 2nd friendly, Batista scored 22 pts and picked 9 rebs in the 88-70 win over Venezuela

JWalk126
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
ok, my bad. it wasnt a friendly. it was the Southern American championship tourney...

Uruguay is 4-0 after beating Argentina who has a short squad, 102-93

Batista finished with 24 pts and 16 rebounds,

in the game vs Columbia he finished with 12 pts, 17 rebs, 4 asts and 7 turnovers in the 88-78 win