Bats: Both
Throws: Right
Drafted: 1st round, 2005
How Acquired: Draft
College: Stanford
High School: North Salem HS
ETA: 2009
Position: SS

Scouting Report: Lowrie is an intelligent shortstop with average to below average range and a decent glove. His arm is strong but he needs to work on his throwing accuracy. May be moved to 2B, but his strong work ethic is increasing the chances he could stick at SS. Above average speed on the basepaths. Has previously demonstrated good power for a middle infielder. Hits equally from both sides of the plate. Outstanding plate discipline, his best attribute may be his ability for good at bats. Fundamental and athletic.

MLB Comparison: Brian Roberts (slower version)

Awards
2004 Pac-10 Player of the Year
2004 First Team All-American (Baseball America)
2004 First Team All-American (Louisville Slugger)
2004 First Team All-American Sports Weekly
2005 First Team Preseason All-American (BA)
2005 First Team Preseason All-American (LS)
2005 First Team Preseason All-American (NCWBA)
2005 NYPL All Star
2005 SoxProspects.com All-Star - SS
2006 SoxProspects.com Pre-Season All-Star - SS
Red Sox ML Quality Plate Appearances Award (August 2006)
2007 SoxProspects.com Pre-Season All-Star - SS
SoxProspects.com Player of the Week (May 6-12, 2007)
SoxProspects.com Player of the Month (May 2007)
SoxProspects Player of the Week (May 27 - June 2, 2007)
Red Sox Minor League Offensive Player of the Month (May 2007)
2007 Eastern League All Star

sboyajian
08-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Jed Lowrie was called up to Pawtucket from Portland on 7/27

Since being called up he has played in 16 games, is batting .302 with 3HR and 11RBI. Prior to August 9th double header against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees where Jed went 0 - 7, he had been batting .340 since his promotion.

Full 2007 Stats:

Team League AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
POR EAS .297 93 337 61 100 31 7 8 49 169 65 58 5 3 .410 .501 .911
PAW INT .302 16 63 8 19 6 1 3 11 36 3 15 0 0 .338 .571 .910
2007 .298 109 400 69 119 37 8 11 60 205 68 73 5 3 .400 .513 .912

PapelbonLester
08-12-2007, 01:31 PM
he needs to come to boston asap. he's hitting .330 in triple a i no that can mean .300 mlb. he might be nice trade bait with oscar being graded as a 6-10 prospect only other prospect besides clay in our system to be a possible 10. all i no is we have a couple prospects we can package for a big name prospect.

sboyajian
08-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Jed Lowrie went 2 - 4 last night against the Syracuse Chiefs with 2 RBI's and a double bringing his AAA avg. up to .338. His 2007 avg between AAA and AA is .304

Since joining the PawSox, Jed has posted a .366 OBP, .597 SLG, and a .963 OPS.

sboyajian
08-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Interview with David Laurilla from RedSoxNation.com:

RSN: You're a switch hitter. How do you compare from each side?

JL: I have more raw pop from the right side and am more consistent from the left. I'm natural from the right, but of course get more left-handed at-bats. Right now I'm trying as hard as I can to be consistently the same each way. If your swing is the same from each side, you can think the same way up at the plate -- you can always be making the same adjustments. The hardest thing about being a switch hitter is keeping both perfect. It takes a lot of swings to get your stroke where you want it to be, and a switch-hitter has to take twice as many to do that.

RSN: Style-wise, would you compare yourself to Mark Bellhorn?

JL: Definitely. I've watched him the last two or three years, and I like his game. I know he's slumping now, and he probably Ks a little too much, but he helps produce runs. Strike-outs and home runs are both up in baseball, and I think there's some truth to the idea that a strikeout is no worse than a pop-up. Still, you can put pressure on the defense to make a play if you do make contact. I'll change my approach slightly with two strikes in order to do that. I don't slap at the ball, though. You can still make hard contact with a shorter swing. But would I have Bellhorn's career if I could? Sure. He's a productive Major League player.

RSN: Do you think you have a better future at second base or at shortstop?

JL: That's tough to say. I've felt good at short the last several games, but I have spent the last three years at second. Right now I guess I'm more comfortable at second for that reason, but I can play either position.

RSN: How would you rate your defensive tools?

JL: I'd say I have an above average arm; maybe even strong. My first step to balls is pretty good. I can turn a double play. Probably my biggest attribute is that I make all of the routine plays.

sboyajian
08-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Jed hasn't been too exciting lately going 3 for 20 with 1 recorded run and 1 rbi in his last 5 games dropping his AAA average to .297.. but he's sure to pick up now that he is back in Pawtucket for a brief series against Syracuse.

sboyajian
08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
As expected Jed added some offense to his stats, by tying the game 1-1 in the third inning with a HR. His 4th in Pawtucket.

sboyajian
08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Jed Lowrie went 3 for 5 last night, with a pair of runs and a double.

sboyajian
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Congrats to Jed for being the 2007 Sea Dogs Most Valuable Player

sboyajian
10-31-2007, 08:58 AM
We're having a rough time in the Fall League..

bosox3431
10-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Jed also won Red Sox Minor Legue Offensive player of the Year

RedSoxtober
11-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, Lowrie is showing the effects of playing a lot of baseball. He is still struggling in the AFL, with a paltry .197 avg. I suspect that has to do more with fatigue than anything else.

sboyajian
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
While some fans are calling for Lowrie to take Lugo's spot in the Boston lineup.. Lowrie has a bit to prove still. Currently he's still looking for hit bat in AAA and has hit his first hit in 11 attempts. His current avg. is .091.

sboyajian
04-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Red Sox purchased the contract of infielder Jed Lowrie from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Lowrie doesn't have a lot of experience at third base, but the Red Sox will surely spend the next few days working him out there. If he looks good, he'll probably make at least a few starts while Mike Lowell is out. He could have a little value in AL-only leagues for the short-term

Jed's first game for Boston will be his MLB Debut.

sboyajian
04-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Jed made his major league debut last night playing 3B for the Red Sox against the Cleveland Indians. He was more productive in 1 game with the BoSox than he has been in 8 games with the PawSox driving in 3 runs to give the sox the 3-3 tie allowing Varitek to give the Sox the lead (and eventual win) with a walkoff HR.

Hard call to say who would be the player of the game in that one. Varitek's blast won it for them, but without Jed's production at the plate, it would have been a 3-2 loss.

sboyajian
04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Jed went 2 for 3 tonight in his 3rd game (2nd with PA's).

He drove in another run and got a run for himself.

Lowrie now has 4 RBI's in 7 AB's and is posting an early .429 average.. he is fitting in very well in in the show.

sboyajian
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
His name, is Jed, Carlson, Lowrie and he is playing like a professional.

Jed added another 2 hits going 2 for 5, and marking down 2 more runs and another RBI.

sboyajian
06-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Lowrie has played very consistent ball since going back to PAW from his stint in the majors. Batting below .100 before his April callup, Jed has brought his AVG up to .282 for the season.

sboyajian
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Jed has been absolutely pounding the ball in May and June going for a line of .324/.397/.543 (.940 OPS)

sboyajian
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Ballplayers are nothing if not creatures of habit. Even Jed Lowrie would admit that. The rookie Red Sox infielder already has a pregame routine he sticks to.

"It's a funny game," said Lowrie, who was called up from Pawtucket July 12 when shortstop Julio Lugo went on the disabled list. "And for me, it's about maintaining my approach and letting the results take care of themselves."

Given his results in the Sox' three-game sweep of the Oakland A's, what switch-hitter Lowrie is doing is working. With a seven-game road trip set to begin in Kansas City tonight, Lowrie was asked if he was going to miss the routine he developed during this homestand, in which he went 5 for 10 with a double, a triple, three runs scored, and seven runs batted in.

"That's a good question, but I don't have a choice," said Lowrie, an athletic bag sitting in front of his locker to be packed for the trip.

"We've got to get on a plane and we've got to go play Kansas City. It's not a matter of if I want to leave here or not. We have to."

In Friday's 2-1 victory, Lowrie drove in both of the home team's runs (scoring new guy Jason Bay each time), collecting the first walkoff hit of his career with an infield single in the 12th.

Saturday night, Lowrie contributed to a 12-2 demolition of the A's with three RBIs to match the career high he set in his major league debut April 15 at Cleveland.

And yesterday, in the Sox' 5-2 rain-delayed triumph, Lowrie went 1 for 3 and hit the first triple of his career for two RBIs that helped the Sox build a 4-0 lead in the fourth inning.

Best of all, he made it seem routine.

"He's had some good at-bats for us," said manager Terry Francona, who before the game said Lowrie reminded him of Bill Mueller, the switch-hitting Sox third baseman from 2003-05 who won the '03 American League batting title (.326).

"Again, he's given us a lot of production, in a limited situation. He's gotten some big hits, some timely hits, and he's blended in well, mixed in with the veterans, and he's helped us win."

Drafted in 2005, Mueller's last season with the Sox, Lowrie, 24, said he emulated another player growing up in Salem, Ore.

"Obviously, Billy Mueller's a great hitter, because he's a guy who won the AL batting title," Lowrie said. "But the guy I grew up watching was Carlos Guillen when he was with the Mariners, now with Detroit. But any time you can get compared with a guy who's won the batting title, it's flattering."

What did Lowrie like about Guillen?

"I think it was pretty simple," he said. "He was a switch-hitting shortstop. I mean, that's pretty much it. I always respected the way he approached a game, [was] a patient hitter, and just got the job done."

After the weekend he had, the Fenway Faithful likely departed the premises saying the same thing of Lowrie, especially when he came to the plate in the fourth with one out and Mike Lowell (double to center) and Bay (single to left) on the corners.

Lowrie ripped a triple off starter Dallas Braden that sailed over the head of center fielder Carlos Gonzalez, who had been playing shallow.

When the ball jumped off his bat, "I was thinking sac fly," Lowrie said. "Then I saw the ball was carrying and got over [Gonzalez's] head and I just kept running."

Lowrie chuckled when asked if the A's underestimated his power.

"They don't know me as a player," he said. "I'm not saying that they made the wrong call by playing me in, but I hit the ball well and got a triple out of it, got it over his head."

Lowrie credited his hit to a simple lesson learned long ago: "I've always been taught to hit it where it's pitched," he said. "And when I'm swinging the bat well, that's what I'm doing."

It's all part of Lowrie's routine, which he hopes to make more of a habit by sticking around when Lugo comes off the disabled list.

"Any opportunity you get up here, no matter if it's short or long, you want to show people what you can do," Lowrie said. "I didn't show up and say, 'This is my time.' I just came with the same approach that I've had my whole career. For me, as long as I take care of my approach, then the results will be there in the end."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/08/04/lowrie_sticking_with_his_plan/

sboyajian
09-05-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm not gonna get into stats. I'm not going to state figures. I'm just gonna point out that Jed Lowrie is rocking our socks off and I love him for it.

Starting SS 2009.

sboyajian
09-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm not gonna get into stats. I'm not going to state figures. I'm just gonna point out that Jed Lowrie is rocking our socks off and I love him for it.

Starting SS 2009.