Weight: 180
Bats: Left
Throws: Right
Drafted: 17th round, 2006
How Acquired: Draft
College: Middle Georgia
High School: South Effingham (GA)
ETA: 2010

Scouting Report: Reddick is a contact hitter with a nice swing and good power potential. Aggressive hitter at the plate, still could use some improvement with plate discipline. Athletic with above average speed. In the field, Reddick has above average range and excellent arm strength and accuracy. Reddick dominated weaker competition at Middle Georgia and has more than held his own in his early professional career.

MLB Comparison: Paul O'Neil

Awards
GJCAA Player of the Year (2006)
Red Sox ML Base Runner of the Month (June 2007)

NYMetros
08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a good, lefty hitter. But, what position is he?

RedSoxtober
08-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a good, lefty hitter. But, what position is he?

Playing RF for the Drive.

RedSoxtober
08-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Reddick's playing pretty well on both sides of the plate. He had a HR Wednesday, his 15th, putting the Drive in good position to win.

Yesterday, he was named the Sox Minor League Defensive Player of the Month for July.

PapelbonLester
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
cmon this man is dominating its time to send him to portland.

RedSoxtober
08-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Reddick, Lars Anderson, and Josh Papelbon have all seen an uptick in their performance this month. Here's Reddick's last ten games (through 8/14)

Date AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS
Totals .350 40 7 14 4 1 2 8 1 8 1 0

RedSoxtober
08-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Josh continues to rake this month with a nice 3/5 night last night in an 8-3 loss to Augusta. His last ten games (through 8/21):

Date OPP AVG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS
Totals .341 41 5 14 3 1 0 5 1 8 1 0

RedSoxtober
08-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Decent article (http://news.greenvilleonline.com/blogs/drive/2007/08/reddick_states_his_case.html) on Josh from the Greenville News (the main newspaper around here). I'd forgotten about his big debut... threw out two runners at the plate from RF then tossed out two more a couple of nights later.

RedSoxtober
04-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Reddick started the year in Greenville to be closer to home because of a family situation. The lower-than-expected assignment has certainly not hurt his confidence any. He's started the year off even better than he finished the last:
.375/.394/.925 with three doubles and a triple. If there are any concerns with Reddick at the moment it is that he is not walking very often (only 1BB in 33PA).

There is some speculation that Reddick may get promoted in the next week or so.

RedSoxtober
06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Reddick has kept pace at A+ Lancaster, enjoying the wind-aided power advantage that most left handers experience with the JetHawks. Reddick's average (.337) and obp (.360) are similar to last year's (.306/.352) but his slugging is way up (.604 vs .531).

Reddick still needs to work on controlling the strike zone a bit better. Having advanced a level his strike outs are climbing and walks declining against the better pitchers.

RedSoxtober
06-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Reddick has actually raised the bar at A+ Lancaster over the past few weeks. He's hit .357 with a pair of doubles, a triple, and a HR in his past ten games to raise his line to .344/.366/.960... not bad for a CF with a cannon for an arm (Reddick opened his professional career by throwing out two runners at the plate from RF in the same game).

Had Reddick played the entire season at Lancaster, he likely would have been an All Star selection.

RedSoxtober
07-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Josh Reddick isn't looking to walk when he steps to the plate. He's looking for a hit. And, given his .349 batting average, 9 doubles, 8 triples, and 15 home runs in 68 games with Single A Lancaster, that approach appears to be working.

Not that the Red Sox aren't interested in altering his philosophy a bit.

"He has a very good ability to make contact," director of player development Mike Hazen said. "He doesn't strike out a ton, either. We certainly don't want to eliminate the aggressiveness or the impact he has when he swings, we want to get him in a better frame of mind in terms of overaggressiveness. With his ability to make hard contact in all parts of the strike zone on all pitches, we're adding a tool for him as he moves up the ladder."

The Sox are high on Reddick, as were the Indians, rumored to have asked about the outfielder in talks about pitcher C.C. Sabathia. As Hazen said, "I think he impacts the baseball, so I think he's going to have a chance to hit with power. He has the ability to hit balls and drive balls that most guys can't."

The walks are more of an issue. In 292 plate appearances, Reddick has just 14 walks and 42 strikeouts.

"Growing up, I was never really a big walk guy," said Reddick, a 21-year-old. "It's really hard to make that quick adjustment like they want me to. I'm trying to see more pitches at the plate. I like to attack the ball early in the count. As soon as I see a pitch I think I can handle, I go after it.

"They want me to be selectively aggressive at the plate. I've always thought I can drive any pitch. I try to get my hands through the ball and drive it anywhere I can. I've just been so used to going about it this way. I understand what they're trying to do and I'm working at it. It's tough. I'm so accustomed to doing that. It's worked so well for me all my life. It's hard to go up there and try to work a walk."
Source: Boston Globe

RedSoxtober
07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Reddick followed former JetHawks Lars Anderson and Argenis Diaz on Monday, receiving at least a temporary promotion to AA Portland. Reddick was added to the Sea Dogs roster when OF Bubba Bell was placed on the DL.

Sportfan
04-16-2009, 05:27 PM
wow Reddick is doing great so far. 10 for 25 so far with 4 HR and a OPS of 1.45. I'm liking this kid a lot