PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden

iam brett favre
06-30-2007, 04:45 PM
am i the only person that thinks hes overrated? i honestly do not think that he is going to be as great as everyone thinks he is, and i can see him being one of the biggest busts ever

FlawlessKB24
06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
am i the only person that thinks hes overrated?

yes

you've probably never seen him in the workouts and such.
theres a reason he was the number 1 pick, and he's the reason teams tanked last year

{}
06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
am i the only person that thinks hes overrated? i honestly do not think that he is going to be as great as everyone thinks he is, and i can see him being one of the biggest busts ever

He'll be a bust no doubt and I'm suprised others can't see it from a mile away. He reminds me of Olowkandi who was a 22/11 player in college and taken 1st overall. He has that same disinterested attitude and body language. Oden looks and moves like a 40yr old with no discernable explosive or athletic ability. He shows awkward coordination and his movement is so slow I see him getting blocked on a regular basis...by guards! And then the worst part is mentally the guy is a wimp. He's already stating in papers how he's afraid of this and that.

Oden will be a top 5 bust of all time but I doubt he'll overtake Kwame for top honors.

WakeUpTheEchoes
06-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Lol!

JAZZNC
06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
The biggest bust will be Horford. The guy is just not that good. He has no athletic ability and his shot is SOOOOO flat it's pathetic. I see him as a skinny Sweetney.

kvrnm
06-30-2007, 10:44 PM
The biggest bust will be Horford. The guy is just not that good. He has no athletic ability and his shot is SOOOOO flat it's pathetic. I see him as a skinny Sweetney.

wow, thats exactly what i think to, poor atlanta, but acie law is going to be a stud

kingsfan15
06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
greg oden will be a servicable player, but he wont be as good as everyone is saying he will. he reminds me of samuel dalembert but a little better on offense. he will be a good, but not great player. that is just my opinion.

lincecum=future
06-30-2007, 11:25 PM
you guys are nuts.

rhino17
06-30-2007, 11:26 PM
He is overrated. Dont get me wrong, he'll be a good player, but hes not gonna be no Shaq or Dream. He'll be a 18 and 11 guy.

sunsalltheway03
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah I don't think Oden will be a revolutionary star player. He has some injuries and isnt explosive. If he was any smaller, he wouldn't have been selected. I think because of his size and effectiveness in college, he was number one. Obviously he was great in high school, but he won't be a shaq or duncan calibur player in the NBA. He won't be a bust per say but wont live up to his expectations. DUrant has more to offer and has an outside game. IF he can develop an inside game and bulk up, Durant will be a monster.

NoSense
07-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Well I like Greg Oden, he seems like a cool dude. Regarding Basketball, I think he's gonna be a great player, from what I saw at OSU.
I don't think he'll be a bust cuz of his mentality (go to college instead of going straight to the L,...).

t-mac1nukka
07-01-2007, 08:18 AM

i cant believe you said that on a forum where the majority of the people are easily influenced by the media. lol. i think he wont be near as good as people say he is, but i dont think you would call it a bust. kwame is a bust, darko is a bust, oden woint be that bad. i cant wait for the highflyers to **** all over him since he thinks hes such a great shot blocker! funny!!

t-mac1nukka
07-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Well I like Greg Oden, he seems like a cool dude. Regarding Basketball, I think he's gonna be a great player, from what I saw at OSU.
I don't think he'll be a bust cuz of his mentality (go to college instead of going straight to the L,...).

good thing he chose to go to college huh??? oh wait he had to!!!

BoLT Magic
07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't it suck so bad for Portland if he was a complete bust and Durant was a superstar. It'd be Jordan all over again.

sportsphanatic
07-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I think he'll be the best center in the league in 3 years.

lilbeav
07-01-2007, 01:16 PM
He is overrated. Dont get me wrong, he'll be a good player, but hes not gonna be no Shaq or Dream. He'll be a 18 and 11 guy.

Your right he will probably be 18 and 11 but will change the game defensively with 2-3 blocks and that is why he is not a bust.

t-mac1nukka
07-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I think he'll be the best center in the league in 3 years.

to be the best you have to be able to play both sides of the ball. hes got a lot of work to do on the offensive side.

spurhead
07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
he won 2 national high school player of the year awards and was considered one of the best in college. I believe he will continue to be great and hes a good player. hes dominant

cvburg
07-01-2007, 09:32 PM
if by overrated you mean he is the next shaq hakeem and ewing then yes,....i consider him more overhyped...he will be good...20-12-2 blocks is great id take that anyday just i don't think he is near the levels of the gods of nba centers( russell chamberlain shaq hakeem abdul jabar) but there is no reason in my mind he will be a bust

jiggin
07-01-2007, 11:11 PM
You do realize that #1, he had to go to college due to the new rules. #2, that he dominated in college and was probably the #1 reason Ohio St. made has the year they had. #3, he did all of that his first year using his left hand rather than his primary hand which he had broke and was told to use less.

I won't say he is going to be a Shaq, because frankly, they have two totally different styles of play as a center. I won't go as far as compare him to any player in the NBA currently because I truly believe that most players that are good actually change their style of play a little when they reach the NBA as they find what works and does not at that top level...but I will say, going into his rookie season...the guy has all the tools and all the basketball skill and ability to be a very very good center.

The other thing that people seem to forget is that Portland doesn't need him to dominate. They just need him to play strong defense and be a serviceable enough center to keep defenses across the NBA guessing on who and where the offense is going to come from. With Roy/Aldridge/Frye as other potential threats, its not as if the TrailBlazers are putting all their eggs in one basket. There are 4 very young players who all candidates for top honors in that starting 5 now and Oden is now the centerpiece of the group.

Sixerlover
07-02-2007, 01:39 AM
You do realize that #1, he had to go to college due to the new rules. #2, that he dominated in college and was probably the #1 reason Ohio St. made has the year they had. #3, he did all of that his first year using his left hand rather than his primary hand which he had broke and was told to use less.

I won't say he is going to be a Shaq, because frankly, they have two totally different styles of play as a center. I won't go as far as compare him to any player in the NBA currently because I truly believe that most players that are good actually change their style of play a little when they reach the NBA as they find what works and does not at that top level...but I will say, going into his rookie season...the guy has all the tools and all the basketball skill and ability to be a very very good center.

The other thing that people seem to forget is that Portland doesn't need him to dominate. They just need him to play strong defense and be a serviceable enough center to keep defenses across the NBA guessing on who and where the offense is going to come from. With Roy/Aldridge/Frye as other potential threats, its not as if the TrailBlazers are putting all their eggs in one basket. There are 4 very young players who all candidates for top honors in that starting 5 now and Oden is now the centerpiece of the group.

Preach!!

:nod:

iam brett favre
06-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Its certainly too early to tell, but good call so far, eh?

theuuord
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Its certainly too early to tell, but good call so far, eh?

Ummmm... not really.

He played really well when he wasn't injured. Yes, he has injury problems, but he's also like eight years old. He's got time.

GregOden#1
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
He's like 8 years old?

theuuord
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
He's like 8 years old?

In basketball years. Keep up.

He averaged 9 point and 7 boards playing 21 minutes per game on the slowest-paced team in basketball. For a rookie, that's excellent.

Now he just needs to stop getting into foul trouble and he'll be fine.

smith&wesson
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
umm the guy had some nasty injuries, but if you think he is going to be a bust your wrong, he will be a good player give the guy a break, he only has played one season and your already calling him a wash ? thats stupid... the biggest bust was kwame brown hands down, and as is right now greg oden is already better then kwame

alverwi
06-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Horford a bust? are you kidding me?

GregOden#1
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
He's like 8 years old?In basketball years. Keep up.

http://420.thrashbarg.net/lol_que.jpg

theuuord
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Horford a bust? are you kidding me?

This was from two years ago, before the draft. He made a bad call. We all do.

theuuord
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
http://420.thrashbarg.net/lol_que.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

maybe you skipped this day in school.

moving on...

MickeyMgl
06-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Really? 18 and 11? And you think he's overrated? What is it you think people were expecting from him? Not Shaq (25 & 11) or Dream (22 & 11).

If Oden ever gets 18 and 11, he will have exceeded expectations. I don't think he will, but I don't think scoring is a priority from him, so I still think it's too early to call him a bust. 14/10/3 would be good.

Too many people writing him off after one season.

theuuord
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Really? 18 and 11? And you think he's overrated? What is it you think people were expecting from him? Not Shaq (25 & 11) or Dream (22 & 11).

If Oden ever gets 18 and 11, he will have exceeded expectations. I don't think he will, but I don't think scoring is a priority from him, so I still think it's too early to call him a bust. 14/10/3 would be good.

Check the dates yo. this was before the season.

mikantsass
06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Do we dare say Michael Olowakandi? Not yet, the kid hasnt really played yet so we just dont know

GregOden#1
06-01-2009, 07:43 PM

I love how you claim people are writing him off too early then subtly claim meeting expectations would be 14/10/3.

quiksilver2491
06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Some people are just so pathetic, making statements like "I called he will be a bust". Just because he didn't enter the NBA averaging 25 PPG, 12 RPG and 3 BPG doesn't mean he is a bust. It's the kid's first year in the NBA and he is still a raw player that needs to be developed.

I'm not sure if he will ever be on the level of Shaw or Hakeem, like some hyped him to be, but in all likely hood he will turn out to be a very, very good player. If he averages 20/12 per game while playing very good defense then that is a lot more then most #1s have accomplished.

NYtilIdie
06-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah he doesn't have that fierce mentality he seems like he doesn't really want to be there at times. His post up game is horrible, his offence as a whole is horrible he can only score when he gets dunks. At least he can play okay defense other then that I don't see him being much in the future.

smith&wesson
06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
umm the guy had some nasty injuries, but if you think he is going to be a bust your wrong, he will be a good player give the guy a break, he only has played one season and your already calling him a wash ? thats stupid... the biggest bust was kwame brown hands down, and as is right now greg oden is already better then kwame

theuuord
06-01-2009, 08:52 PM

Kwame is up there but nobody beats the Kandi Man. At least Kwame had one season where he was decent....Kandi never had a shot.

Baller1
06-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Regardless if Oden becomes a bust or not, he will never have the career Durant has. Blazers should have taken Durant, and I feel blessed to have Durant playing for my team.

Ansy
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM

14/10/3 in about 30-35mpg is a good place to put expectations at this point, IMO.

People calling him a bust are just giving him the natural trolling that all overhyped players get. The hype wasn't his fault. His rookie season was better than LaMarcus' was; he turned out okay.

Ansy
06-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Regardless if Oden becomes a bust or not, he will never have the career Durant has. Blazers should have taken Durant, and I feel blessed to have Durant playing for my team.

And Toronto should have taken Roy over Bargs, Detroit should have taken anybody over Darko. Drafting is hard and hindsight makes everyone a genius.

MickeyMgl
06-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Check the dates yo. this was before the season.

Dang. Old thread.

MickeyMgl
06-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I love how you claim people are writing him off too early then subtly claim meeting expectations would be 14/10/3.

Was that subtle?

MickeyMgl
06-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Kwame is up there but nobody beats the Kandi Man. At least Kwame had one season where he was decent....Kandi never had a shot.

Kandi developed a facsimile of a hook shot, and he could catch the ball.

Kwame takes the cake, pun intended.

BigEric
06-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Is the guy that Randy Hayes doesn't want to look like. Randy Hayes is the funniest guy on the internet.

Statik1
06-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Ok ok one thread that was old got bumped today and it was funny but now this .............

theuuord
06-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Kandi developed a facsimile of a hook shot, and he could catch the ball.

Kwame takes the cake, pun intended.

Kandi developed something and was still an absolutely horrid offensive and defensive player. Kwame at least played decent role minutes, despite being a punchline.

effen5
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
He should retire, hes getting old.

JordansBulls
06-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Well Oden still has a lot to prove, the thing that saves him though is that he doesn't have to improve vastly as the Blazers already have Roy and Aldridge on the team.

IversonIsKrazy
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
In his best season, his stats are going to be 15/10/2. He'll become an Emeka Okafor with less post skills.

Baller1
06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
And Toronto should have taken Roy over Bargs, Detroit should have taken anybody over Darko. Drafting is hard and hindsight makes everyone a genius.

I understand that. But, this decision was a much more followed situation. Portland was getting a franchise player either way; but, they had to decide on one. Therefore, I think comparing Oden to Durant is fine, because they always will be from here on out.

violetuniverse
06-02-2009, 11:57 PM

i agree. he looks like a very old LBJ also.

AIsixersFK
06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I agree he is overrated and got way to much hype while in college. Personally while he was at Ohio St I wasn't impressed. I thought he was like LeBron James type godish. If that makes sense. Anywho. It ususally takes Big men a while to develop in the NBA. I can't remember a bigman who stepped int he NBA his rookie season and dominated other than Tim Duncan.

Tblaze
06-03-2009, 05:01 AM
He needs to develop feel for the game to avoid foul trouble (which was his biggest problem) next to his health. If he can overcome both... he will be scaaaaary.

He averaged 9 and 7 in 21 mins per game... had a PER of 18 which was highest of all rookies. So he must be doing something right right?

Time will tell, big men take a longer time to develop.. I liked alot what I saw this season, and hopefully he will play more minutes next season!

also I love this play :P :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rd7yTZMvqI