PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones

Pages : [1] 2 3

moes2kool
06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I hate all you braves fan, i'm a true braves fan.. one half season of bad play by a superstar makes ya want to trade him? I mean at least he has the courage to play everyday him and franceour they play there hearts out.. I mean why don't you guys get on chipper's case? as much as i like him he been injured a lot hurtin the team more then andruw, at least andruw saves runs with his glove... I mean every year you expect 30hrs 110 rbs, and got it for like 10yrs, everyone is due to have a bad year... and trust me i been watching him the last couple of days and boy oh boy is he back to himself.. he looks like himself again. i bet if he goes on a good hitting streak you guys will keep ya mouth shut about tradin him.. any thoughts of andruw?

baseballman8388
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, there are already like 6 Andruw threads but I'll let it go. The reason people want to trade him is because he is in a contract year and he won't be back next year. The fact that he is struggling mightily and won't work take advice from TP only further the frustration.

rtgthree
06-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I hate all you braves fan, i'm a true braves fan.. one half season of bad play by a superstar makes ya want to trade him? I mean at least he has the courage to play everyday him and franceour they play there hearts out.. I mean why don't you guys get on chipper's case? as much as i like him he been injured a lot hurtin the team more then andruw, at least andruw saves runs with his glove... I mean every year you expect 30hrs 110 rbs, and got it for like 10yrs, everyone is due to have a bad year... and trust me i been watching him the last couple of days and boy oh boy is he back to himself.. he looks like himself again. i bet if he goes on a good hitting streak you guys will keep ya mouth shut about tradin him.. any thoughts of andruw?

"The courage to play everyday"?!?! Come on. Does Bobby Cox have the "courage" to manage every day? Better yet, does Terry Pendleton have the "courage" to try to help Andruw get better, even when Andruw won't listen? Andruw's play is frustrating, yes, but the deal breaker for me is his total unwillingness to make himself better. You simply can't be a superstar when you strike out as much as he does. His "I'm a pull hitter and there's nothing I can do about it" crap earlier this season makes me really mad. If you really wanted to be one of the greatest, you'd at least make an effort to learn to go the other way.

I won't deny he was valuable to the team, but he's always been thought of as a guy who could be so much more. He finally lived up to it all in 2005, but he's always been way too streaky for me, and always too unpredictable in the clutch. He may be reliable over the course of a season, but game-to-game you never know.

Chipper at least isn't hurting our chances to win. If you're on the bench, you have no effect on the game. Andruw, by playing, has (statistically speaking) detracted from the probability that the Braves win. Chipper, despite his protracted DL stint, has contributed to winning this year in a very positive way. How can you criticize someone for getting hurt in a collision? It's baseball. These things happen.

Andruw Jones has contributed a lot to the Braves franchise, but there's no way he comes back next year. Even you must acknowledge that. Trading him at the deadline is for me a matter of pure practicality.

moes2kool
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Well i believe there is a chance andruw jones stays in atlanta, because i seen his house on mtv cribs it's gorgeous and he has a family i'm sure he wouldn't want to move them from city to city, and he said "if the offer is fair i will stay" so the braves can offer him 14 mill next year then after next year hampton comes off our payroll they can pay him 20mill 1 year and discuss the next 4 or 5 years, but i love chipper and andruw but i will take andruw anytime, i mean it's not even close what this guy does for us everyday. EVERYONE IS ENTILTED TO HAVE A BAD YEAR? LAST YEAR A-ROD, the year before Jim Thome... so yeah sometimes u go wrong.

bravesmix08
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
We could offer him that much money but is he worth 20 million? We all know he is the greatest defensive centerfielder in the game, but his batting average has never blew us away (even before this year), but he does have power. Plus, he has never actually been good in the clutch. I would rather have a average defense, high average hitter that is good in the clutch for a lot cheaper price.

Chipper
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM

I feel the same way. Why trade Andruw?

1. He won't accept anything
2. who wants him
3. He wants to remain a Brave for life

I want to resign the guy at a reasonable price at the end of the year.

bravesmix08
06-27-2007, 06:06 PM
I feel the same way. Why trade Andruw?

1. He won't accept anything
2. who wants him
3. He wants to remain a Brave for life

I want to resign the guy at a reasonable price at the end of the year.

Chipper is right. We should not trade him and should try to resign him. We should not overpay him just because of what he has done for us. If he really wanted to stay he would accept a reasonable contract.

Joe Smoe
06-27-2007, 06:57 PM
AJ is going to leave at the end of the year. He signed the biggest agent he could get just to make sure he can get the paycheck he has always wanted. He has stated he wants " fair market value". Boras is just the guy to get it for him, and JS hates boras. Aj knows this and signed Boras anyways, and he is content.

I have been a Braves fan for many years, and I like AJ a lot. But, even with my heart aside (as AJ has also done) I understand, 14- 20 mill a year, is not what the Braves need locked up in payroll on one player. We simply cant afford a Boras contract on a player like AJ. Back when payroll was 120 mill, sure. So, its natural that people would be willing to trade him to hopefully get something in return for the future, EVEN if he was hitting .300 and 100rbi's. But it just so happens AJ is having a very very bad year, and admits he wont try to change anything.

If you are truelly a Braves fan, you need to look at the team as a whole, and what we have to work with. Sometimes our baseball hero's have to come and go. But, new hero's emerge.

Lastly, if I was to choose between spending money on pitching or AJ, I would choose pitching. I do that because I am a Braves fan, before a AJ fan.

csg
06-27-2007, 07:23 PM
guys, unless Liberty Media decides to raise our payroll $15 mill next year there is absolutely no money for Andruw. Hudson is making $6 mil this year and Smoltz is making $8mil. Next year Huddy will make $13 and Smoltz will make $14 mil. Their increases will take all of Andruws current salary to cover them. Only way to free up some money is to trade either/both Wickman or Renteria

Chipper
06-27-2007, 07:32 PM
guys, unless Liberty Media decides to raise our payroll $15 mill next year there is absolutely no money for Andruw. Hudson is making $6 mil this year and Smoltz is making $8mil. Next year Huddy will make $13 and Smoltz will make $14 mil. Their increases will take all of Andruws current salary to cover them. Only way to free up some money is to trade either/both Wickman or Renteria

I think Wickman will or needs to retire at the end of the year.

ATLbravesmania
06-27-2007, 07:38 PM
bye andruw , welcome ichiro

Chipper
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM

No Way!!!!!! :mad: That guy is way overrated! I can't stand that guy! He is probably more expensive than Andruw anyway! I better get one of these: :clap: , and not one of these: :mad:

RandyRocks77
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM

Though i would like to see the Hit machine(90% singles) in ATL, the only place I can see Ichiro going is to BoSox... which might free up Coco, but we have more than enough tallent in the minors to replace AJ... maybe sign /trade for a one year guy... to make sure that Brandon Jones or who ever takes AJ spot out of the farm is ready

michaelb2254
06-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Way too quick to give up on him.

To you people saying he is stubborn for not wanting to change anything....

92 HR's 230+ RBI's in a 2 year span. Why would you want him to change???? The guy is just in a prolonged slump. His D is still amazing maybe greatest ever. Give the guy time or tell me someone we can replace him with who can have the same production.

rtgthree
06-27-2007, 09:36 PM
moes2kool, do you seriously think he will accept a mediocre offer because he likes his HOUSE?! Come on. You'd pick up your family and move too for $6 million more per year. What is a fair offer to you? Baseball Prospectus projects him to be worth the following:

$16.3 million 2008
$15.5 million 2009
$12.95 million 2010
$11.025 million 2011

Expect further declines after that. Those projections, by the way, include his defense. So that would be a four year/$56 million deal, which I would be happy to offer him. He wants twice that, in terms of years AND money. You'd be paying him easily $16 million per year, and you'd have to still be paying him that when he was 37 years old.

Don't compare his bad year to A-Rod and Thome. Thome fought back problems that whole year and A-Rod had a better year last year than Andruw's EVER HAD (.290/.392/.523).

Chipper, first HE WILL ACCEPT A TRADE if it's the right deal. Please name for me the last player to exercise his no-trade clause. He will use it to limit the teams to which he can be traded, and that's all. It's simply protocol for him to say he wants to stay and all that. You also ask who would want him. Why do YOU want him if you think no other team would want to trade for him? He wants to go where the money is. I don't think there's going to be any loyalty discount. He's said so himself.

ATLbravesmania, if there's no Andruw, there's no Ichiro.

rtgthree
06-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Way too quick to give up on him.

To you people saying he is stubborn for not wanting to change anything....

92 HR's 230+ RBI's in a 2 year span. Why would you want him to change???? The guy is just in a prolonged slump. His D is still amazing maybe greatest ever. Give the guy time or tell me someone we can replace him with who can have the same production.

I don't like any player who isn't always working to get better, no matter how good he already is. He's never gone the other way his whole career. Imagine how good he could be if he wasn't so stubborn, and learned that valuable skill. We don't need his production. See my "Your 2008 Atlanta Braves" thread. The lineup listed there would be pretty darn good next year. And lo and behold, it does not include Andruw Jones.

nalej13
06-27-2007, 09:44 PM

This guy is obviously stupid. Yeah Chipper has been hurt but it never hurts his performance, he comes back and never misses a beat. How many 0-4's have you seen on the boxscore by Andruw's name. The man is batting in the .190's. How many superstars have you seen do that? And him and his super agent are going to be asking for ridiculous amounts of money. Every Braves fan has the right to be very angry with him. Because year in and year out this guy continues to not produce in big time clutch situations. Great defense alone doesn't get you $15-20 million per year.

rtgthree
06-27-2007, 09:49 PM
This guy is obviously stupid. Yeah Chipper has been hurt but it never hurts his performance, he comes back and never misses a beat. How many 0-4's have you seen on the boxscore by Andruw's name. The man is batting in the .190's. How many superstars have you seen do that? And him and his super agent are going to be asking for ridiculous amounts of money. Every Braves fan has the right to be very angry with him. Because year in and year out this guy continues to not produce in big time clutch situations. Great defense doesn't get you $15-20 million per year.

nalej, I've disagreed with you big-time before, but here you're absolutely right.

BIG D
06-27-2007, 09:56 PM

I agree with everything you said. Andruw has been an all-star caliber player for the Braves his whole career and there is no reason to trade him now. He's arguably the face of the franchise and just because he is slumping a bit doesn't mean he needs to be traded.

nalej13
06-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah I'm not saying to trade him, who would take him anyway, but If we can't re-sign him for what he is really worth, then so be it. I would go for Torii Hunter next year, or depending on what Liberty Media sets the budget at maybe Ichiro Suzuki(longshot). But to me this off year should really lower Andruw's contract demands. Maybe just maybe that MVP type year was a fluke, hate to say it but it could be.

nalej13
06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
I agree with everything you said. Andruw has been an all-star caliber player for the Braves his whole career and there is no reason to trade him now. He's arguably the face of the franchise and just because he is slumping a bit doesn't mean he needs to be traded.

He is slumping more than a bit. He was on track for another Andruw Jones-type year at the end of April batting .261......since then he's batting .176.

bravefan4life
06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Smoltz and Chipper have both taken pay cuts on their own, to help the team, I think Chipper gave up 3 million a year to help the Braves get a closer or to keep Furcal. They are dedicated to the Braves, like they are fans themselves. Like it was stated above, Andruw did not get Boras for nothing, and Boras wont be okay with taken pay cuts, it wont happen period.
Also like it was stated above, to be a true fan you have to accept loosing the greats. To say that others are not true fans because they want to trade Anduw is just stupid. We have to look at the facts, Andruw wants cash and Andruw's contract is up, and not to forget that Andruw has one of the lowest batting averages in baseball (for an everyday player) Another fact is that JS knows what he is doing as a Brave fan or any fan I am sure that you can see he has proven that he is one of the best GM's in the game. I trust him and I trust Cox.
Andruw also forgets that Terry was the one in 2005 that worked with Andruw and taught him to change his stance, and helped him hit the most homers in baseball that year. Now he wants no help, because he knows what he's doing, that is not a team player.

If he will stay for under 12m, I say keep him, otherwise, it was a nice run we will miss you and you wont be forgotten from Brave fans ever. Good luck and im glad you wont be a Met.

BRAVESFAN77
06-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Andruw is not worth the long term contract or the money that Boras will demand from him. You seem to think hes the greatest player in the history of baseball, when in reality hes a average hitter who HAD solid defense. He no longer is getting to all those outfield hits which makes him a average player. Add a year and see what happens. I believe we need to let him go and get someone younger who can hit. There are plenty of solid players for center, thats all we need. 20 million well thats just to funny to think about. 8 years, thats even funnier.

moes2kool
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
well listen man, you trade him now you JS basically telling us he is giving up on this year.. no way we win a game against the mets without andruw, i mean everytime we play them he makes a great catch and he kills tom glavine there ACE so you tell me.. And if he was asking for 16mill for 8 years i would give it to him without a doubt; because 16mil aint that much, i mean look at hampton he aint doing nothin for us and we are still survin but before i do that i would try to resign francoeur to a deal similar to mccanns then if we have left over money when hampton peaces out then why not.. what were goin to save the money for when chipper jones go on the dl? whats there to save for i mean chipper and smoltz arent getting any younger, when they retire we will be able to give long term deals to francoeur and all them

tomno00
07-02-2007, 05:48 PM
yea we should keep him because he hits well of tom glavine.... just face the facts.. andruw is not the same player that he used to be. as a matter of fact, when was he ever consistently good? Don't get me wrong, his glove is great and im sure he has saved a lot of runs for us over the years, but that was then... andruw looks like he's gained about 20 lbs and is definetly slower than he used to be and his defense this year isnt anything to brag about.. if you ask me, i would much much rather have a guy like aaron rowand who can hit for AVERAGE and in the CLUTCH than andruw anyday... i know that may sound mean but what the hell, these are professional athletes and this is a business.. if you're getting paid millions and millions of dollars to swing at a ball then you need to perform on a consistent basis... i say trade andruw if you can but if not then let him walk after the season.. there is no way in hell i would pay him anything more than 8-10 million

bravefan4life
11-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I haven't really heard anything on offers to Andruw, besides that San Diego might have offered a one year 17 million deal and that the Dodgers and Nats were interested. If he isn't getting the offers, why not offer him one year or two year deal 13 million a year, but with a good stats he could make up to 17 to 18. Leave it up to him coming back. I think that he wants to stay, and he needs a year or two to redeem himself. Its worth a shot. Last year was a fluke, and if we make it a incentive deal, he doesn't make anything unless he performs well.

jdiddy24
11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
we dont need him though. I think Shafer or Lilli would be just as productive offensively if not better and for $14+ less

lavell12
11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
gurantee lillibridge or schafer won't hit 30+ HRs or Drive in over 100RBI. Not to mention defense.

BravesBackOnTop
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Fellas, some of you might be happy, some of you might be mad. I just read this on a site, decided to post it here for something to discuss.

Buster Olney reported
Speculation is growing that the Braves might consider bringing Andruw Jones back.

Dont know how serious the braves are thinking about this, IF they do bring him back, I wander if he would take a 1 year deal. It would help him and the braves. For him, it gives him another chance to have a better year to get a better deal next year. For us, it gives us a gold glove centerfielder. His production remains a mystry, could he possibly hit that bad again?? But the biggest question is what would the braves pay? After the lowell offer, they might be offering 15 mil i would guess. Just a thought

hammerinhank
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
If we were to sign him i would say to a one year deal just to give one of out young guys another year to mature... I wouldnt mind seeing him in a Braves uniform for one more year but there is still a risk on how productive he will be...... Last year there was far to many k's especially in situations where we needed him to come up big.

hammerinhank
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I also read that they may offer him arbitration???

BravesBackOnTop
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes, his production was down. Everyone of his categories had been lowered. Was a fluke season? Who knows, but if he does come back, he better get his head on straight. Braves wont put up with it another year, he would be dangled as trade bait. Should be more momentum for him to perform better and work harder this year if he does come back.

jdiddy24
11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
gurantee lillibridge or schafer won't hit 30+ HRs or Drive in over 100RBI. Not to mention defense.

no they wont....and andruws defense isnt as great as it once was... but I can guarantee that Andruw wont hit above .280 or steal 30+ bases or get on base in clutch situations

braves790
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
jdiddy has a point

Jon93405
11-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Andruw may have gone out in the market and realized no one wants to pay him $20 million. He may pull an Arod and "talk with his family" and want to come back.

If he came back and had a good year he could go back out on the free agent market. Then maybe he'd be a type A free agent and actually get us 2 picks.

jdolan74
11-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Only that A-Rod called to ask what kind of knife he used on Boras' back 6 years ago.

Slash
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Keith Lockhart would have driven in more runs than Andruw last year. I'm not kidding. The Braves' offense is extremely potent and it provided a .220 batter with 94 rbi's. Think how many batters had to be on base for a .220 batter to drive in 94.

Spiderman 1nner
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
well we couldd use Andruw Jones for a year or 2 cus as goodd as our outfieldd prospects are, none are quite yet readdy. If he was serious bout another discount, I wouldd definitely take it but if he is hittn .240 halfway through, I wouldd bench him.......He deserves another shot after all he has done for us

tomno00
11-15-2007, 07:58 PM
no, its time for andruw to move on

jdiddy24
11-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Keith Lockhart would have driven in more runs than Andruw last year. I'm not kidding. The Braves' offense is extremely potent and it provided a .220 batter with 94 rbi's. Think how many batters had to be on base for a .220 batter to drive in 94.

good point

jdiddy24
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Sources: Jones in Dodgers-Mets talks
By Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)
Updated: December 29, 2008, 5:09 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Andruw Jones, coming off a disastrous first season with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has been the subject of trade talks between L.A. and the New York Mets, according to sources.

Jones, who turns 32 next spring, hit .158 with 76 strikeouts in 209 at-bats for the Dodgers in 2008 -- just two years after he mashed 41 homers and drove in 129 runs for the Braves. There is a perception within the industry that Jones, who played the first 12 years of his career in Atlanta, was just never comfortable with the Dodgers.

Jones

As part of the two-year, $36.2 million deal with L.A. signed before the 2008 season, Jones was paid $9 million last season, and he is due to make $15 million in 2009. He also received a $12.2 million signing bonus, $2.1 million of which is due in 2009 and $5 million in 2010. But presumably, the Dodgers will be willing to eat a lot of what remains on the contract to facilitate a move out of L.A. for Jones, who has 371 career homers and five seasons of 100 or more RBI.

The Mets' intention, if they were to conclude a deal for Jones, would be to play the 10-time Gold Glove center fielder in right field, flanking Carlos Beltran. Ryan Church played most of the season in right field for the Mets last season.

New York also has been trying to move a player who has fallen out of favor -- second baseman Luis Castillo, who is coming off a poor season and is owed $18 million over the next three seasons. But it's unlikely that the Dodgers would have interest in Castillo, because they have a young second baseman in Blake DeWitt, and Castillo does not play a lot of different positions. If the Mets were to move Castillo, they would be in a position to then pursue the top free agent second baseman, Orlando Hudson.

Earlier on Monday, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported that the Dodgers had reached out to the representatives for Adam Dunn. If L.A. were to move Jones -- and the Dodgers are highly motivated to do so, according to sources -- then a spot would open in the outfield for Dunn, if the Dodgers did not bring back Manny Ramirez.

if he plays like he did last year then I like the trade a lot....

jdiddy24
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM
actually on second thought... if the Dodgers are potentially going to eat all of the salary i wouldnt mind taking him back to see if he can bounce back to the old AJ... if he doesnt... we release him

mgcslugger33
12-29-2008, 06:24 PM
^^^^ If they will eat most of his salary I would take him back in a second. Depending on what kind of shape he reports in he could play CF or LF. If you could get him, trade for J Damon and your lineup is set...

Pitching, on the other hand, still would need work.

damon
escobar
Chipper
Bmac
Jones
Kotchman
Francouer
Johnson
:clap:

GLASSMAN
12-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I doubt seriously we enter that fray. I'm inclined to pass but I'm sure that there are a number of Braves fans that would at least like to discuss a scenario or two with AJ in it. (AJ and Frenchy Platoon??). I doubt LA would give him away but if you could bring him here for a couple of mil, hey, why not.

jdiddy24
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
I doubt seriously we enter that fray. I'm inclined to pass but I'm sure that there are a number of Braves fans that would at least like to discuss a scenario or two with AJ in it. (AJ and Frenchy Platoon??). I doubt LA would give him away but if you could bring him here for a couple of mil, hey, why not.

well if they are eating $20M I would listen for sure... ~$2M for his POTENTIAL is worth it... he could be an above avg LF for us

GLASSMAN
12-29-2008, 07:02 PM
If the Dodgers are moving him to make roster room and we could get him for that we'd be foolish not to consider a move. I'd rather take a chance on him at that price than take a chance that he'd hurt us by becoming a Mut, not that he'd consider us. Hey, we haven't been in a bidding war with a team from Gotham City for an 'AJ' in a couple of weeks anyway.

In all seriousness, I don't really care who we put in left or right for that matter, for the short run, as long as we don't hamstring ourselves in regard to our stellar crop of young studs. The future appears to be very bright.

abraves14
12-29-2008, 07:45 PM
It would be interesting to see him back in a Braves uniform, but I doubt the Braves front office want him back.

jmtapia
12-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Id love to see AJ back in ATL. The potential of having someone in there that can get us 35+ HR is good enough. IMO if they eat 75% of the salary i would give it a try. At this point i think he is more then worth the risk.

Seamhead
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Why would you platoon two hitters of the same handedness?

jmtapia
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Frenchy wont platoon with anyone. We need to know what kind of player we have in hand and there is only one way of knowing: letting him go out there and play full time. If anything AJ would be back in CF and Shaffer would probably be in LF...

GLASSMAN
12-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Why would you platoon two hitters of the same handedness?

Just a little light hearted dig at Frenchy's homers, or should I say singles.

If anything AJ would be back in CF and Shaffer would probably be in LF...

Which man do you think would win in a foot race? I think I'd put my fastest guy in center.

jmtapia
12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
i cant see the Braves playing him anywhere else...either way i wouldnt mind flip flopping them...

ecyrb912
12-29-2008, 09:05 PM
speed doesnt necessarily equate to good defensive skills, andruw jones proved that in his last few seasons with the braves as he gained weight but continued to win gold gloves. and arm strength is another factor to be considered.

but coming off of the torn meniscus, and being as big as he is compared to his older days, andruw probably cant withstand the wear and tear of centerfield anymore, so schaffer in my opinion would be the better defender. but more for his youth than his speed.

GLASSMAN
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Yea, as long as his bat could produce decent power numbers I'm not sure it would matter.

GLASSMAN
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
speed doesnt necessarily equate to good defensive skills, andruw jones proved that in his last few seasons with the braves as he gained weight but continued to win gold gloves. and arm strength is another factor to be considered.

but coming off of the torn meniscus, and being as big as he is compared to his older days, andruw probably cant withstand the wear and tear of centerfield anymore, so schaffer in my opinion would be the better defender. but more for his youth than his speed.

That's a good point considering a hustling CF is moving on every ball hit to the outfield as well as ground balls up the middle. Stamina is certainly a factor in a long season.

chuck.mcmillan
12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
1 man's trash is another man's treasure. The only problem is that we already dumped the trash 1 time. He hasn't been able to stay above the Mendoza line in how long? I agree he could be the next come back player of the year. However, I would rather give that opportunity to a younger Nick Swisher.

THE_FLASH_21
12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Id love to see AJ back in ATL. The potential of having someone in there that can get us 35+ HR is good enough. IMO if they eat 75% of the salary i would give it a try. At this point i think he is more then worth the risk.

i'm with u... Last year to me was a fluke. I'm not saying ur saying that, but he has 30-40 hr potential.....

Lady's Man
12-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Andruw is a bum. all of you who want him back are crazy

Seamhead
12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Just a little light hearted dig at Frenchy's homers, or should I say singles.

Oh.

chuck.mcmillan
12-29-2008, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't say he is a bum. Maybe we could use his leadership on our bench. I can't think of anyone who smiles harder than he does after he strikes out. Maybe he can teach Franceour to show more teeth on his walk back to the dug out.

Lady's Man
12-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't say he is a bum. Maybe we could use his leadership on our bench. I can't think of anyone who smiles harder than he does after he strikes out. Maybe he can teach Franceour to show more teeth on his walk back to the dug out.

yea now that you mention it, he could be a good bat boy...little fat though

CrippledRam
12-29-2008, 10:48 PM
8:12pm: MLB.com's Marty Noble heard from a person familiar with the discussions between the Mets and Dodgers that "nothing is ongoing and nothing is going to happen." The clubs had preliminary discussions about trading Jones for Castillo during the Winter Meetings, but nothing is in the works now. .

jmtapia
12-29-2008, 11:39 PM
WOW...after all that AJ did for the Braves..how fast people forget. Sure he didnt leave with a bang or anything but some of you guys are acting like a HS girl that just got dumped on prom night.... AJ was a great player for years in Atlanta and deserves a lot more respect then he is getting.

Sure he wasnt what he once was but to say he is limited to a "bat boy" is just ignorant...

Lady's Man
12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
WOW...after all that AJ did for the Braves..how fast people forget. Sure he didnt leave with a bang or anything but some of you guys are acting like a HS girl that just got dumped on prom night.... AJ was a great player for years in Atlanta and deserves a lot more respect then he is getting.

Sure he wasnt what he once was but to say he is limited to a "bat boy" is just ignorant...

am i suppose to feel bad for a guy that made 18 mil last year and only had 33 hits? if this was any other profession, he would be out of the job. i feel sorry for the millions of people that have lost their jobs during this recession...not andruw

GLASSMAN
12-30-2008, 12:40 AM

Respect is a valuable commodity. Those who have not been taught to properly earn or show it have little idea of its worth. Respect is not a given and must be carefully guarded. True respect is closely aligned with character and cannot be expected or assumed from some one who is ignorant or unwilling to grasp its true value.

My respect for not only Andrew but the entire Braves organization is based on the manner in which business is conducted. Its an admirable trait for you to stand up for someone who deserves a degree of respect when there is little to gain personally. Hats off to you jmtapia.

abraves14
12-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Apparently, the trade of Andruw to the Mets have died. They were initially talking about a Jones-Castillo trade.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081229&content_id=3729835&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

jmtapia
12-30-2008, 01:14 AM
am i suppose to feel bad for a guy that made 18 mil last year and only had 33 hits? if this was any other profession, he would be out of the job. i feel sorry for the millions of people that have lost their jobs during this recession...not andruw

those are the kind of things that proffesional sports are built around. AJ just happens to be one of a handfull of gifted players on this earth. Should we be mad for a guy that just happens to be so talented that a team is willing to take a $36 Million gamble on....give me a break.

No one is saying you have to feel bad for anyone...personally AJ has been one of my personal favorites...so i do. But feeling bad for someone and respecting someone are two very different things.

If a team offered you $18 Million to go play CF for a MLB team would you say no just bc you might not live up to the contract???

jdiddy24
12-30-2008, 02:56 AM

.... were you trying to make a point... ok so he has 371 career homers and has career avg of .259 avg, 33 hr, 100 rbis a season and was 11th place in MVP voting in 2006... he has a subpar season in 2007 and a horible short 2008 and you think he didnt deserve a big contract? He got what every other player in the league got... a shot at FA and he raped the Dodgers for a little more than he was worth (coming into the 2006 season he was lookign to get 20M+/yr)

.... and then you somehow turn his huge contract towards lower - middle class workers who lost their jobs... thank god you dont have a job in a MLB front office

Jon93405
12-30-2008, 04:19 AM
This is a guy who hit .158 in over 200 AB's last season. I know he was injured but he is a stubborn hitter who refuses to change his ways. Injured players should be able to hit .200. He hit .222 for us the year before and crippled our offense and .277 was the highest average he had in his last 7 seasons with us. His highest SB total in that time was 8.

Amidst his struggles, when asked why he wasn't hitting the ball to the other field more, he just simply responded he's a pull hitter. He's a crappy pull hitter and if he doesn't smarten up he's not going to be a hitter at all. He got away with that crap when he was 22 years old and could keep his hands in the zone longer even when he pulls his hips off the ball. However, now that he's on the other side of 30 and his hands have slowed down slightly, he has no chance of being a good hitter unless he completely reconstructs his swing. Andruw Jones will not put the effort into doing that.

Terry Pendleton said that some guys are just .260 hitters, but he said there was no reason why Andruw Jones should be one, he just refused to make changes. Until he's willing to spend his offseasons in the batting cage working on sending offspeed pitches to the right centerfield wall... he's going to weigh more than his batting average.

It's no big deal. It's one loss.

-Andruw Jones

Im not a right-field-ball hitter, Jones said. Im a pull hitter. Thats the way it is.

-Andruw Jones

jmtapia
12-30-2008, 04:23 AM
^^^i can see frustration being a big part of those comments....is there any way you could provide a link...

mgcslugger33
12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
You could read this article two ways.... 1. He is still struggling 2. He is in better shape and he is trying to get things worked out. (Good pic too... looks alot better)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/12/jones-cold-summ.html

rtgthree
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
The Dodgers are looking to swap Andruw for another bad contract. They are not trying to trade him and eat 75% of his salary. I wouldn't mind him back if the Dodgers send us a $15 million check as well, but that just ain't happening. At that rate, they might as well keep him.

Jon93405
12-30-2008, 02:56 PM
^^^i can see frustration being a big part of those comments....is there any way you could provide a link...

http://www.sabernomics.com/sabernomics/index.php/2007/05/dont-worry-about-andruw-jones/

It's funny that there were a lot of articles kind of like this one defending Andruw, saying he's had all his success pulling so he should keep doing that. These guys are sabernomics guys who can't look beyond the stats.

When Andruw's hands were at their fastest, he could open his hips, prior to the ball being released, look middle in and destroy anything that comes on the inner third of the plate. His hands were fast enough, and strong enough to take his top hand off the bat and put good wood on a ball on the outside 3rd of the plate... allowing him to keep his .260 averages.

Now that his hands are slightly slower, he isn't able to handle pitches away when he's already shifted his weight towards left field and his torso is turned towards CF already.

He can still hammer a pitch middle in... problem is he'll never see a pitch there intentionally until he proves he can handle middle away. He sees pitch after pitch on the outside corner and still attempts to launch it into the LF bleachers. Until he shows he can hit the ball to CF or RF with authority... pitchers have no reason to challenge him inside.

Andruw still has great potential, but he needs to listen to those who've been in the game longer than him and make adjustments. He's gone his whole life regarded as an amazing player, the problem is, he's one of the most gifted players in MLB history, but probably won't make the Hall of Fame because he relies on talent alone.

rtgthree
12-30-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm on board with Jon 100%. This column from T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times was just priceless: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/11/sports/sp-simers11.

Since offering to go on a diet with Andruw Jones and getting nowhere with him, Ive lost 14 pounds, so I checked in with the Tubbo on Saturday night to see how he was doing on his own.

Have you lost anything?

I dont care, he said.

I shook my head in disbelief, and he said, I dont care what you think.

Do you care what anyone thinks?

I dont care, Jones said.

Saturday night the fans in Dodger Stadium booed Jones name when the starting lineup was announced. Dont you care that the fans in Dodger Stadium have turned on you?

No, he said. Thats their problem.

There's more...I encourage all to go read the rest. It's pretty sad, really. All that talent...

Jon93405
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
“I don’t care,” he said. “You play for the team, you don’t play for the fans. The fans never played the game. They don’t know.”

“Look at your belly hanging out of your shirt,” Jones said. “You’re probably going to die tomorrow.”

“Not before I write this column,” I said.

I was looking for this exact article, thanks RTG.

Pessimistic Man
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
That would be awesome. AJ would inadvertently be like a secret agent insider spy working for the Braves, causing chaos from within the Mets team by hitting .100 and striking out a couple hundred times. I love the idea. Go for it NY!

tomno00
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
haha andruw on the mets. that will be great trying to see him hit in cold weather.... and im sure mets fans will give him a warm welcome..hahahaha

jdiddy24
01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Dodgers Working On Buyout For Andruw Jones?
By Drew Silva [January 1 at 8:38pm CST]
T.J. Simers of the L.A. Times has heard that the Dodgers are working on a deal to unload outfielder Andruw Jones.

Simers claims that the deal would save the team $12MM and "send the guy, who couldn't hit a thing, seeking employment elsewhere." Jones is in the final year of a two-year deal and is set to make around $15MM in '09. He's not just going to forfeit that money, so it's not exactly clear what kind of a deal Simers is speaking of. A trade? Buyouts don't typically happen in baseball. What are the Dodgers going to offer him? A yacht? Nonetheless, Simers is onto something and it appears the Dodgers are readying the cash to make an offer to Manny Ramirez.

interesting... if he gets a buyout he would be cheap and we could take a cheap chance on him... low cost/high reward type signing we could use in the OF right now... $3M + incentives? I would be willing to do that... just my opinion though

rtgthree
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
OK, I'm going to ask for mercy in advance. I will warn any potential readers that the following is a crazy idea. This is total speculation, and I'm not even sure how credible I think my own idea is. But I'm curious what people think.

Here's Andruw Jones, on October 30th:

Former Atlanta Brave Andruw Jones would like to come back home.

“I’ve got one more year in my contract,” said Jones, now playing with the L.A. Dodgers. “Hopefully, I can come back to Atlanta. I would love to finish my career here.”

Jones’ first year with the Dodgers ended early. He was moved to the 60-day disabled list on Sept. 13, after hitting .158 with three homers and 76 strikeouts in 209 at-bats.

“I’ve been rehabbing, working out again,” he said. “I feel good.”

Jones and wife Nicole have continued to make metro Atlanta their home.

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/shared-blogs/ajc/social/entries/2008/10/30/andruw_once_and_future_brave.html

Here's the report from Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors, this evening:

I just spoke with [Los Angeles Times columnist T.J.] Simers, who tells me that it would be an agreement with Jones' agent, Scott Boras. Jones' 2009 salary "would be reduced to make him attractive" to possible suitors in a trade. And the deal would essentially free up money on the Dodgers' side that would head towards Ramirez, another Boras client. But it's still unclear why Jones would want to take the paycut. Is Boras going to pay the man out of his own pocket? This kind of dealing is unheard of in the sports world, but you can never doubt the almighty Scott Boras.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/dodgers-working.html

It's unclear why Jones would want to take a paycut...is that October 30th article a potential motivation? It's painfully clear that he was never comfortable in Los Angeles, and where else WOULD he be comfortable but Atlanta?

It's good for everyone. Jones takes a pay cut, but he increases the chance that he'll have a good year in a place where he's comfortable, and thus set himself up for a bigger contract at the end of the year. Boras gets good will with the Dodgers (potential landing spot for Manny Ramirez) and the Braves (potential landing spot for Derek Lowe?). The Braves get an outfielder that they know, and who might help solve their horrific outfield problems. The Dodgers rid themselves of Andruw's contract.

I can't stress enough that I pulled this out of thin air, and the more I read it, the less sense it makes. But I want to hear other people's thoughts.

jdiddy24
01-01-2009, 11:37 PM
OK, I'm going to ask for mercy in advance. I will warn any potential readers that the following is a crazy idea. This is total speculation, and I'm not even sure how credible I think my own idea is. But I'm curious what people think.

Here's Andruw Jones, on October 30th:

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/shared-blogs/ajc/social/entries/2008/10/30/andruw_once_and_future_brave.html

Here's the report from Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors, this evening:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/dodgers-working.html

It's unclear why Jones would want to take a paycut...is that October 30th article a potential motivation? It's painfully clear that he was never comfortable in Los Angeles, and where else WOULD he be comfortable but Atlanta?

It's good for everyone. Jones takes a pay cut, but he increases the chance that he'll have a good year in a place where he's comfortable, and thus set himself up for a bigger contract at the end of the year. Boras gets good will with the Dodgers (potential landing spot for Manny Ramirez) and the Braves (potential landing spot for Derek Lowe?). The Braves get an outfielder that they know, and who might help solve their horrific outfield problems. The Dodgers rid themselves of Andruw's contract.

I can't stress enough that I pulled this out of thin air, and the more I read it, the less sense it makes. But I want to hear other people's thoughts.

I agree fully... I would love to take a chance on him if the price is right... he cant play in LA another year after last season and they need to make room for Manny... If I were Wren Id call about a trade to see if they pick up more than the buyout if they take a less important player (Blanco/Anderson) for Andruw and lets say $14M... one of those OFs can be their 4th OF and we get a cheap stopgap for LF/CF

CrippledRam
01-01-2009, 11:39 PM
T.J. Simers of the L.A. Times has heard that the Dodgers are working on a deal to unload outfielder Andruw Jones.

Simers claims that the deal would save the team $12MM and "send the guy, who couldn't hit a thing, seeking employment elsewhere." Jones is in the final year of a two-year contract and is set to make around $15MM in '09. He's not just going to forfeit that money, so it's not exactly clear what kind of a "deal" the article is speaking of. A trade? Buyouts don't typically happen in baseball. Nonetheless, Simers is onto something and it appears the Dodgers are readying the cash to make an offer to Manny Ramirez.

UPDATE: I just spoke with Simers, who tells me that the Dodgers "would do the deal with Scott Boras." Jones' 2009 salary "would be reduced to make him attractive" to possible suitors in a trade. And the agreement would essentially free up money on the Dodgers' side that would head directly towards Ramirez, another Boras client. But it's still unclear why Jones would want to take the paycut. Is Boras going to pay the man out of his own pocket? This kind of dealing is unheard of in the sports world, but you can never doubt the almighty Scott Boras. .

jdiddy24
01-01-2009, 11:43 PM

lol... too late

jdiddy24
01-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Jones, 32 in April, is a 10-time Gold Glove winner and five-time All-Star, but the Dodgers saw none of that. He vowed before leaving the club to report to 2009 Spring Training in better shape. He also said he would play winter ball in the Dominican Republic, where he has played five games, hitting .188 with no extra-base hits and eight strikeouts in 16 at-bats. He went home for the holidays, but the club expected him to resume playing in the Dominican Republic next week.

on second thought i dont know... itd have to be real cheap... something to watch though

CrippledRam
01-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Eww

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Eww

yea... sounds like he hasnt done anything since last season... id have to see what he does when he resumes Winter Ball... or maybe he just needs a change of scenery

BravoFan3736
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Over/Under the chance of Andruw coming back?

The Los Angeles Dodgers and Andruw Jones have agreed to rework his contract to save the team $12 million off its 2009 payroll, SI.com has learned. The deal likely will lead to Jones playing elsewhere next year.

The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that the sides were working on such an arranagement.

With Jones agreeing to defer more than half his $20 million salary to aid the team, it stands to reason that the team will agree to part ways with him at some point. Jones expressed a desire to the Dodgers that he'd like to play elsewhere in 2009.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/ 37244

Because with this really weird deal going on i bet hes gonna come back. Our Big RH Bat!(Slight Sarcasm there folks):rolleyes:

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Over/Under the chance of Andruw coming back?

The Los Angeles Dodgers and Andruw Jones have agreed to rework his contract to save the team $12 million off its 2009 payroll, SI.com has learned. The deal likely will lead to Jones playing elsewhere next year.

The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that the sides were working on such an arranagement.

With Jones agreeing to defer more than half his $20 million salary to aid the team, it stands to reason that the team will agree to part ways with him at some point. Jones expressed a desire to the Dodgers that he'd like to play elsewhere in 2009.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/ 37244

Because with this really weird deal going on i bet hes gonna come back. Our Big RH Bat!(Slight Sarcasm there folks):rolleyes:

I wouldnt mind if the price was right (I.E. he gets released and we pay him bare minimum or we trade pretty much nothing to them)

tomno00
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
sad story. this guy used to be great but now he is just flat out horrible. if nothing else, he would give you great defense. but now that he is about 30 lbs overweight, who knows if he can give u that anymore. i would give him a javy lopez type deal. invite him to spring training and work from there.

BravoFan3736
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Playing for Aguilas Cibaenas, Jones is hitting .188 through five games with three singles and eight strikeouts in 16 at-bats. Jones has twice struck out three times in a game and has yet to collect more hits than strikeouts in the same game.

Minor League Contract and a shot to play but otherwise he may be done with his career as a baseball player. I hope he can turn this around after the holiday break when they start up again with winter ball. But this shows you that he has done nothing to improve himself since the playoffs.

njbravefan
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
he better find one of those Mackey Shilstone type trainers and get into baseball shape or no one will even want him for $1, let alone the minimum

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Playing for Aguilas Cibaenas, Jones is hitting .188 through five games with three singles and eight strikeouts in 16 at-bats. Jones has twice struck out three times in a game and has yet to collect more hits than strikeouts in the same game.

Minor League Contract and a shot to play but otherwise he may be done with his career as a baseball player. I hope he can turn this around after the holiday break when they start up again with winter ball. But this shows you that he has done nothing to improve himself since the playoffs.

this is a very small sample size though... he needs to get a few games under his belt to get in a rythem before we can judge him.

rtgthree
01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Jones agreed to defer $12 million of what he is owed in 2009, so he's now due $5.1 million in 2009 ($3 million in salary plus $2.1 million of deferred signing bonus). At that price, if the trade cost was nothing more than a marginal prospect, I'd say he's at least worth consideration. I don't think sixteen winter-league at-bats are significant. You hope that returning to Atlanta to play for Bobby Cox and alongside Chipper Jones, he'd at least have the motivation to get in better shape. If nothing else, his chances to redeem himself are running out VERY quickly.

But let's be honest...if we can just get a repeat of 2007, he'll be worth quite a bit more than $5 million. He still saves 20 or more runs a season with his glove (per UZR), and that's two wins above average right there. He was worth about 3.5 WAR in 2007, even in a down year offensively, and in today's market those 3.5 wins are worth upwards of $15 million. I think it just might be worth the risk to reap a potential reward like that, and that doesn't even assume that he'll go back to his 2005-06 offensive peak.

The Braves would still have to acquire another outfielder, but I think Andruw would be a decent bet as the team's second-best outfield acquisition.

jmtapia
01-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I would really enjoy to see AJ back in ATL...he could be our CF and give Schaffer some time at AAA. IF it doesnt work out then we could bring up Schafer. Or we could give Schaffer a shot at LF and to hit Leadoff.... Just speculation. I still think the best idea would be to get someone like Swisher/Nady to play LF and then we could complement that with AJ in CF...

Lots of possibilities but i really like the idea of getting AJ at that price...

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I would really enjoy to see AJ back in ATL...he could be our CF and give Schaffer some time at AAA. IF it doesnt work out then we could bring up Schafer. Or we could give Schaffer a shot at LF and to hit Leadoff.... Just speculation. I still think the best idea would be to get someone like Swisher/Nady to play LF and then we could complement that with AJ in CF...

Lots of possibilities but i really like the idea of getting AJ at that price...

I agree with putting Andruw in CF and let Shafer get some time in AAA since he missed 50 games last season and then call him up if AJ struggles.... but I dont like trading for Nady unless they arent asking for much (which i doubt) because he would just leave via FA after the season and im not sure the potential comp pick is worth what we would trade for him.

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 10:23 PM
FRIDAY, 7:51pm: Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Major League Player's Association has approved the contract agreement, which will defer Jones' remaining salary. According to an industry source, Jones will either be traded or released before the start of spring training and perhaps sometime this month.

it says his remaining salary... so we will see what happens with his bonuses...

bkj8585
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
i for one hope the braves do give him a shot, BUT only if it cost little or nothing. when playing for bobby and his staff(s), they got the best out of andruw. and what if it was just the pressure he put on himself? and he comes back to the friends and coaches and area he knows and hits 51 bombs again and doesnt bomb himself. he would be a good mentor defensively for our young prospects(just not his weight isssue). instead of all the bashing, be a REAL Braves fan, not only when they are winning or it suits you. be like those of us that suffered through the 100 loss season and "sugarbear" Blanks and the likes. Go Braves and I pray God please let the Braves brass make the right decisions again

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
i for one hope the braves do give him a shot, BUT only if it cost little or nothing. when playing for bobby and his staff(s), they got the best out of andruw. and what if it was just the pressure he put on himself? and he comes back to the friends and coaches and area he knows and hits 51 bombs again and doesnt bomb himself. he would be a good mentor defensively for our young prospects(just not his weight isssue). instead of all the bashing, be a REAL Braves fan, not only when they are winning or it suits you. be like those of us that suffered through the 100 loss season and "sugarbear" Blanks and the likes. Go Braves and I pray God please let the Braves brass make the right decisions again

I cant think of the last bad decision we have made... everything we did last season was great but injuries crippled us.

CrippledRam
01-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Major League Player's Association has approved the contract agreement, which will defer Jones' remaining salary. According to an industry source, Jones will either be traded or released before the start of spring training and perhaps sometime this month.

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Major League Player's Association has approved the contract agreement, which will defer Jones' remaining salary. According to an industry source, Jones will either be traded or released before the start of spring training and perhaps sometime this month.

looks very similar to my post about 3-4 posts ago lol

CrippledRam
01-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Lol i'm slippin today. At least I didn't start a new thread

jmtapia
01-02-2009, 11:40 PM
^^^LOL...for reals. Its looking more and more like this whole AJ thing might become more of a reality. Jones has said he wants to come back and his wish might be granted. $5 Mill or so is very little and IMO a wise investment...Just imagine for a minute if he turned it around....WOW. These are the type of moves that make good GM into great GMs....it will be very interesting to see how this is handled.

CrippledRam
01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
AJ comes groveling home and mashes...I like that =]

What I don't like is him and Frenchy (theoretically) struggling in the 7 and 8 holes.

jdiddy24
01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
AJ comes groveling home and mashes...I like that =]

What I don't like is him and Frenchy (theoretically) struggling in the 7 and 8 holes.

I agree but I dont think Frenchy will struggle and if AJ/Frenchy do.... Schafer is chillen in AAA to save us lol. I personally think AJ will bounce back this season if he comes to the Braves to try to get a respectable contract in 2010

Lady's Man
01-03-2009, 03:24 AM
the day i see andy hit a ball to rf is the day i think about taking him back.

jdiddy24
01-03-2009, 03:55 AM
the day i see andy hit a ball to rf is the day i think about taking him back.

I dont care if he hits it to RF if he hits 30+ hrs out and drive in 100... itd be one year.

Jon93405
01-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I dont care if he hits it to RF if he hits 30+ hrs out and drive in 100... itd be one year.

If he doesn't hit the ball to RF he wont hit 30+ HR's. Pitchers aren't stupid, and no pitcher will give him anything on the inner half unless he changes his approach.

rtgthree
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
If he doesn't hit the ball to RF he wont hit 30+ HR's. Pitchers aren't stupid, and no pitcher will give him anything on the inner half unless he changes his approach.

But who cares if he hits 30 homers? With his glove, he could have a .700 OPS and still earn his $5 million salary, all while preventing us from having to rush Jordan Schafer or play Joshgor Blanderson every day.

I was all for kicking him out the door when he wanted six years and $120 million, but I'm not going to refuse him at one year and $5 million, and potentially even less if he winds up getting released.

CrippledRam
01-03-2009, 01:28 PM
SATURDAY, 11:23am: Buster Olney's sources tell him that Jones will receive the $15MM he's owed in 2009 over the next six seasons, without interest. Apparently the Dodgers are likely to call the Braves, Reds and Mets about potential trades. One source familiar with the discussions said it's virtually certain that the Mets won't be interested..

NickSC07
01-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Sorry Andruw. "The bridge is GONE" as Wren would say. Let him play for the Nats, they have a thing for bringing in former Braves players.

howiend
01-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I like Andruw Jones and in his day he was an outstanding defensive outfielder who has hit 370 homeruns. I think he was about 3 solid years away from being a HOF player. I was hoping he would do well in LA even as much as I dislike the Dodgers I was rooting for AJ. BUT right now he is not a good player. I personally don't think he ever will get his swing back (it has been 3 years of putrid at bats) and his defense has slipped. I could see the Braves inviting him to spring training at league minimum salary but nothing more than that. I read that he has looked bad in winter ball also.

irishfan1582
01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
With how the team struggled last year getting any production out of the OF, I would consider giving AJ another shot. Look at his final year in Atlanta, although he did hit just .222, he also bombed 26HRs and 94 RBIs.

It's worth consideration.

baseballs14d
01-03-2009, 04:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3807591

The Braves, Reds and Mets expressed varying degrees of interest in making a deal for Jones this offseason, and the Dodgers are expected to talk again with those clubs.

So does this mean that the Braves have contacted the Dodgers about him?

Andruw's new contract will be split over the next 6 seasons with no interest

If we traded for him do we also pick up his portion of the contract or is that still left to the Dodgers?

If the Dodgers can't find a trade partner, they are likely to soon release Jones -- a borderline Hall of Fame player with 371 career homers -- and he would be free to sign elsewhere for the $400,000 minimum.

Is it not in the best interst of the Braves just to wait for the release, because if he is released you know that the Braves would be the only team he'd sign with if the Braves offered it and nearly 100% sure that at $400,000 the Braves would jump all over that.

jdiddy24
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3807591

The Braves, Reds and Mets expressed varying degrees of interest in making a deal for Jones this offseason, and the Dodgers are expected to talk again with those clubs.

So does this mean that the Braves have contacted the Dodgers about him?

Andruw's new contract will be split over the next 6 seasons with no interest

If we traded for him do we also pick up his portion of the contract or is that still left to the Dodgers?

If the Dodgers can't find a trade partner, they are likely to soon release Jones -- a borderline Hall of Fame player with 371 career homers -- and he would be free to sign elsewhere for the $400,000 minimum.

Is it not in the best interst of the Braves just to wait for the release, because if he is released you know that the Braves would be the only team he'd sign with if the Braves offered it and nearly 100% sure that at $400,000 the Braves would jump all over that.

The Braves would be stupid to not jump on him at $400,000... He is worth that just on defense and protecting us from rushing Shafer... if he hits .250 with 20+hrs... thats just bonus.

rtgthree
01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
The Braves would be stupid to not jump on him at $400,000... He is worth that just on defense and protecting us from rushing Shafer... if he hits .250 with 20+hrs... thats just bonus.

He's worth $5 million just on defense and protecting us from rushing Schafer. If he is released and becomes a free agent, I think the bidding will drive the price significantly higher than $400,000. In my opinion, if the Braves are interested, they are better off to try and make a trade now rather than waiting for Andruw to get released. IMO he'll get paid at least $3 million as a free agent, and it's worth the extra $2 million to be sure we can bring him in (if indeed the team is interested, which they should be IMO).

Saltyfan
01-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Me personally I would make the trade. But honestly I would not play him in Center. I hate to say it but IMO i think its alot better to play him in left. Bring Schafer up and all of a sudden our lineup is alot better.

I could care less if he his .222. If he belts 20+ homers its all good. I would be alot happier with our lineup.

rtgthree
01-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Me personally I would make the trade. But honestly I would not play him in Center. I hate to say it but IMO i think its alot better to play him in left. Bring Schafer up and all of a sudden our lineup is alot better.

I could care less if he his .222. If he belts 20+ homers its all good. I would be alot happier with our lineup.

If Schafer is ready, fine. But I don't think he is. He's only played about half a season at Double-A to this point in his career, and even then he sucked for the first six weeks of that stint. He still projects to be a star, but I don't think he'll be a star right away, and rushing him is exactly the way to ruin him. He still has lots of problems against left-handed pitching, and I think the best move is to let him play International League ball until the All-Star Break and re-evaluate him then. He'll still be just 22, so it's not like you'd be putting him behind the curve.

Saltyfan
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
^^ I understand. IMO he can do better than Anderson/Blanco even now. I just dont see AJ with the wait he has gained being able to play a great center.

rtgthree
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
^^ I understand. IMO he can do better than Anderson/Blanco even now. I just dont see AJ with the wait he has gained being able to play a great center.

Schafer might be better than Joshgor Blanderson right now, but there's still the risk of stunting his development. I'd rather live with Blanderson than risk Schafer's future. As far as Andruw Jones goes, even with the extra poundage, he was on pace to be 12.4 runs above average last year in the outfield. That still rates him as one of the best fielders around. If he loses some of the extra pork, and goes back to 20-25 runs above average, you're talking about two extra wins right there, even before you factor in his offense.

Saltyfan
01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
True, I can understand your points. There really is no rush to rush Schafer.

CrippledRam
01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
God he hit a lot of popups last yr.: .231 BABIP.

OnTheBrink
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I just saw that Andruw is being shopped to the Braves. He did say he wanted to come back to Atlanta to finish his career, a couple months ago, if not mistaken. I read he lost shape when playing Winter Ball, in the DR, or thereabouts. What do you think it would take us to get him? 1 or 2 mid level prospects and taking some of the salary?

CrippledRam
01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
A mid-level spec. at best...Dodgers want to dump him

irishfan1582
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
I would not give up too much for him, and from what I read the Dodgers seem to be eating most of the salary and paying it over the next 6 years. If a trade is made the team taking AJ on would only be held for a couple mil.

OnTheBrink
01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
A mid-level spec. at best...Dodgers want to dump him

then why don't we give him a shot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-motaandruwjones122608

from what I read there, he didn't make any excuses, other than the traveling ones. Give him a shot, I say.

Bravefan29
01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
At this point it is an option, he can play left field, he does seem to be in better shape though, now he just needs to learn to go to right field.

jmtapia
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
^^^ IMO AJ plays CF...this will help him stay motivated to stay in shape. Im really warming up to this idea...we might be looking back in September and smiling back at making this move. The thing i like the most about this move is that we dont have to rush Schafer. If AJ plays well, we could afford to leave Schafer for a full season at AAA, which IMO would be the best thing for Schaffer's development. We could bring him up as a September call up and depending on our clubs standing position we could get him some AB to get him ready for fulltime duty in 2010.

This certainly gives Wren more time and leverage to go get a LF....

BRAVE KID
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
The current AJ and Franky in the lineup..man a lot of yelling at the screen for me. Talk about two possible huge holes in the lineup, Franky was bad enough really bad if AJ doesn't get his act together..I don't even want to come in this forum to see what is going on. I understand the positives in this (doesn't hamper Schafer's development), AJ could provide the power that we need in the lineup, could get him for a relatively good price, but tack on another question for the 09 season if we go on with it.

BRAVE KID
01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I like Andruw Jones and in his day he was an outstanding defensive outfielder who has hit 370 homeruns. I think he was about 3 solid years away from being a HOF player. I was hoping he would do well in LA even as much as I dislike the Dodgers I was rooting for AJ. BUT right now he is not a good player. I personally don't think he ever will get his swing back (it has been 3 years of putrid at bats) and his defense has slipped. I could see the Braves inviting him to spring training at league minimum salary but nothing more than that. I read that he has looked bad in winter ball also.16 at-bats, 5 games (last one on December 20), 1 run, 1 RBI, 3 hits, 8/6 K/BB, .188/.409/.188 .597 OPS.

BRAVE KID
01-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I just saw that Andruw is being shopped to the Braves. He did say he wanted to come back to Atlanta to finish his career, a couple months ago, if not mistaken. I read he lost shape when playing Winter Ball, in the DR, or thereabouts. What do you think it would take us to get him? 1 or 2 mid level prospects and taking some of the salary?Funny I checked on ESPN they have him listed at 210, on MILB they have him listed at 240.

njbravefan
01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
IF the Braves do take Andruw back it needs to be in CF. Why people keep wanting to throw Schafer in the starting lineup is beyond me. He's basically had a cup of coffee in AA. Without adding at least one pitcher and another hitter we're looking to beat the Marlins out for 3rd place. Does that sound like a team that should be rushing a top prospect and risk setting him back or possibly derailing his career? Let Schafer go back to AA for a couple months, then to AAA if he deserves it and let his career progress at its own pace

rtgthree
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
BK, can we change this this thread title to "Andruw to the Braves?" It's not really about the Mets anymore.

jmtapia
01-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Schafer will start in AAA. I think he proved he could handle AA. I agree with you though, AJ would play CF and that would help the development of Schafer.

jmtapia
01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
little more inside stuff...

Braves Notes: Lowe, Jones
By Steve Adams [January 4 at 4:58pm CST]

David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution offers his opinion on what the Braves should do about Andruw Jones and Derek Lowe.

O'Brien actually advocates a minimal signing of Jones, following his inevitable release from the Dodgers. Because of his strong desire to return to Atlanta, O'Brien feels that Jones would take even a minor-league contract with an invite to Spring Training.

What’s the worst that could happen? He’d stink in spring training and the Braves could, once and for all, wash their hands of him. Fans would know they gave him another shot and it didn’t work out...

...Hey, don’t get your hopes up. I wouldn’t count on Jones being more than a shell of what he once was. But it’s probably worth a shot.

jdiddy24
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
BK, can we change this this thread title to "Andruw to the Braves?" It's not really about the Mets anymore.

picky picky picky lol

rtgthree
01-04-2009, 07:21 PM
David O'Brien of the AJC:

First, before we go any further, we have to discuss Andruw Jones and the fact that, according to agent Scott Boras, the fallen former Braves star will be a free agent Jan. 15 (assuming he’s not traded before then, probably a safe assumption given that no team seems ready to pay him anywhere near a $5 mill salary, much less give up any talent as part of a trade).

Sounds like the Dodgers have until January 15th to trade Andruw, and then he has to be released. I don't see anyone trading for Jones between now and then, so it looks like a good chance he becomes a free agent.

Bringing him back on a deal worth, say, $1 million cannot be a bad idea.

Linky: http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/braves/entries/2009/01/04/lowe_on_hill_an.html

jdiddy24
01-04-2009, 07:35 PM
David O'Brien of the AJC:

Sounds like the Dodgers have until January 15th to trade Andruw, and then he has to be released. I don't see anyone trading for Jones between now and then, so it looks like a good chance he becomes a free agent.

Bringing him back on a deal worth, say, $1 million cannot be a bad idea.

Linky: http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/braves/entries/2009/01/04/lowe_on_hill_an.html

Id probably go as high as $2M... he is worth it on Defense and to keep Shafer in AAA for a little bit... but I hope we wait for him to be released (which Im sure he will) rather than pay him $5M and give them a spec.

Lady's Man
01-04-2009, 07:40 PM
his "defense" wont matter if he ****ing blows at da plate again. But i'll give him a shot. If he could regain his old form magically, then the Jones boi's could do some serious work.

Slash
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM

It really was how he left.

The low, low, low batting average.
The constant hitting into DPs.
The constant strike-outs.
The refusal to do anything but pull the ball no matter where it was pitched.
The statement of "I'm a pull hitter and that is what I do." (paraphrased)
The refusal to listen to T.P. or anyone else.
Falling down at the plate because he was trying to pull a pitch 6" from the ground and 6" off the plate into a pull homer. Every time.
Showing up heavier and heavier every year until it was his contract year.

Then add in the fact that Boras still tried to rape the Braves into resigning him. Think how rare it is for a team to say at the end of a season about a 10+ year HoF veteran "Nope, we don't want him."

It wasn't that his skills diminished. It was that Andruw "Rally Killer" Jones knew more and knew better than everyone else and simply refused to listen or take anyone else's advice.

We don't want him back.

g-burn
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
^^^
yep anrdruw needs to do 2 simple things to get back to respectability. he needs to
A) hit the treadmill, and
B) learn to listen just a LITTLE bit.
i remember hearing once that willie mays told andruw to widen his stance and would get more homeruns. it took him something like 3 years to finally take that advice and he wound up hitting 51 hommers that year. he's got to listen to someone because that swinging off his left knee BS just won't cut it. it's one of the ugliest swings in baseball if you ask me.

Slash
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
He's worth $5 million just on defense...

No way.

No way is he worth $5M "just on defense." He doesn't save more outs with his glove than he gives away trying to pull everything down the left field line.

He is old, slow, overweight, and he just doesn't care and it shows.

I'd rather have Langerhans who is just as good on defense and save $4+ million. Ryan also listens, busts his *** playing, stays in shape, and I haven't heard a bad word about him as a person or teammate.

jmtapia
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Falling down at the plate because he was trying to pull a pitch 6" from the ground and 6" off the plate into a pull homer. Every time.

Then add in the fact that Boras still tried to rape the Braves into resigning him. Think how rare it is for a team to say at the end of a season about a 10+ year HoF veteran "Nope, we don't want him."

It wasn't that his skills diminished. It was that Andruw "Rally Killer" Jones knew more and knew better than everyone else and simply refused to listen or take anyone else's advice.

We don't want him back.

With all the money we got and at $5 Mill bucks, its not that big of a risk. WIth the latest reports it seems like we could just wait till he is released at which point we could pretty much offer what ever we want. I would be the first so say that id rather have someone else but the way this offseason has been going im not to sure if we could get other pieces. I still think that AJ is a good signing if it is our 2nd significant move to improve our OF.

The way i see it this is a low-risk/high-reward type deal that if anything could buy us another month or 2 for Jordan Schafer to get a better indication whether he is ready or not.

Slash
01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
With all the money we got and at $5 Mill bucks, its not that big of a risk.

$5M wasted on Andruw is $5M we don't have to sign someone else.

And a roster slot.

jmtapia
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
^^^who??? at this point i dont think you can make that statement.

tomno00
01-05-2009, 01:53 PM
i would invite him to st for the bare minimum... nothing more.... if he were to make the team i would be shocked

BravoFan3736
01-05-2009, 02:02 PM
i would invite him to st for the bare minimum... nothing more.... if he were to make the team i would be shocked

Than atleast if he doesn't make the team out of ST than the Braves could wipe there hands clean of AJ for good. IMO AJ has very few more options to be a baseball player again...otherwise he is done with baseball and should open his ALL CAN YOU EAT Restraunt.

Slash
01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
^^^who??? at this point i dont think you can make that statement.

Huh? Wasting $5M means there is $5M less to spend on other players. That's almost $2M per year for 3 years that we can add on to lure a pitcher or power bat. And an additional $2 per year just may be enough to tip the scales.

You want to roll the dice on a player that has failed for the past 2 1/2 years then do it. But don't bet a significant amount of cash and $5M is a significant amount.

jdiddy24
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Huh? Wasting $5M means there is $5M less to spend on other players. That's almost $2M per year for 3 years that we can add on to lure a pitcher or power bat. And an additional $2 per year just may be enough to tip the scales.

You want to roll the dice on a player that has failed for the past 2 1/2 years then do it. But don't bet a significant amount of cash and $5M is a significant amount.

while i dont want to trade for him and want to wait until he gets released... $5M isnt much for us right now... we have "34.5M" to spend and the way the market is going we could sign Lowe, Dunn, Smoltz, and sign AJ when he gets released...

Slash
01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
$5M isnt much for us right now...

Yeah, it is just $5M. Pocket change.

Definition of economics: The study of the use of scarce resources which have alternative uses.

For every $5M we throw away, that is $5M less we have; to sign another player, to extend a contract, to include in a signing bonus to entice another player to come to Atlanta.

While you may think that "$5M isn't much..." I guarantee you that it is.

Chipper
01-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Definition of economics: The study of the use of scarce resources which have alternative uses.

For every $5M we throw away, that is $5M less we have; to sign another player, to extend a contract, to include in a signing bonus to entice another player to come to Atlanta.

ok Economic nerd, your not getting what he means. $5M is not going to get us anything huge and big out there. $15M - $20M will though. $5M can be tossed and used on a risky player such as Andruw. There's no harm when you have about $55M to $60M to spend in an offseason any way.

jdiddy24
01-05-2009, 05:59 PM

that is the worst arguement... the money wont roll over into next season if we dont use it... you use it or lose it in baseball... What players are we going to miss out on if we gave $5M to AJ? (not that i want to, let him get released then get him for minimum).... none... we have ~$34.5M to spend... We could sign Dunn (~$12M), Lowe (~$14M), and Smoltz (~$4M)

rtgthree
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM

We don't want him back.

Here you go again with your moralizing. Andruw Jones doesn't live up to the mythical "standards" that you set for baseball players, so you don't want him. You talk all you want about his weight or whatever, but even as a fat lard last year, he'd have saved 12.4 runs in the field with his glove alone if he had played 150 games. If he hits like he did in 2008, then all will be for naught, but even as strikeout-happy Mr. Double Play of 2007, he's well worth $5 million for his glove. Simple statistical fact; ignore it if you like because you're blinded by "how he left."

That said, I don't think it's prudent either to pay him $5 million. His agreement with the Dodgers stipulates that he must be traded by January 15 or become a free agent. I think he will get his release (i.e., the Dodgers won't be able to trade him in the next two weeks), and then the Braves can pick him up far cheaper. I'd think that they could sign him for $1 million or less, since it figures he'll want to return to Atlanta.

Slash, if you don't even think taking a shot with Andruw is worth $1 million, you really do need a refresher course in baseball market dynamics.

RabbitMBraves14
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
// I'd think that they could sign him for $1 million or less, since it figures he'll want to return to Atlanta.//

My wife and I live in Nashville. We drove down for the Dodgers series in April last year and were treated to a lovely sweep. (I'll never forget the 80's and early 90's NL West yrs with those great Braves/Dodgers series.) Anyway, I'll never forget the classy Braves fans reaction when Andruw came up to bat. Everyone stood and cheered him. When he hit his first HR of the season, which tied the game at the time, incidently, we all cheered again. Whatever he is now, or ever will be again, he's our Andruw and I'll always love him. I read the blog and it said that he had lost weight. If the Braves sign him to an incentive based contract for a $1MM or less, well, ya never know what might happen. I mean it isn't like it was 10 yrs ago that he hit 50 yardballs and over 40 the next. It was '05 and '06. Besides, I don't know about HOF as one poster called him, but his glove dang sure ought to go there. He's gotta be one of the best defensive CF ever!

Whatever goes down, we'll always love ya Andruw Jones. Seems like it was yesterday when he became the youngest player ever to hit two HR in a WS game; in his very first WS game and in Yankee stadium. Ahh, memories.

Saltyfan
01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
If AJ even returns to his 2007 form, we will be a-okay. We need power at this point

KingsFiend
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's how I see it, its Andruw Jones. Nough Said. I don't care how bad his year was last year, he is still one of the best center fielders in the league. Seriously 11 years in the league and 10 gold gloves??? I'll take him back anyday just for that. And think of the deal we're getting. We couldn't resign him in ATL because we didn't have the 130+ million that he needed. Now just 1 year later we can get him back, and cheap! Atleast cheap compared to what we might have spent on him a year ago. And who knows, maybe being back in ATL will help Andruw and he might just turn it around. All I'm saying is with what we got and have had at the CF position since he has been gone, there is NO reason what so ever not to give him another chance.

jdiddy24
01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Here's how I see it, its Andruw Jones. Nough Said. I don't care how bad his year was last year, he is still one of the best center fielders in the league. Seriously 11 years in the league and 10 gold gloves??? I'll take him back anyday just for that. And think of the deal we're getting. We couldn't resign him in ATL because we didn't have the 130+ million that he needed. Now just 1 year later we can get him back, and cheap! Atleast cheap compared to what we might have spent on him a year ago. And who knows, maybe being back in ATL will help Andruw and he might just turn it around. All I'm saying is with what we got and have had at the CF position since he has been gone, there is NO reason what so ever not to give him another chance.

No because we didnt feel he was worth the money and Boras was asking for something crazy (I want to say 10 yr/$200M???)... which he obviously wasnt... he was expected to get $20M/yr for long term... instead he got 2/$36M from the Dodgers...

Slash
01-06-2009, 12:06 AM
ok Economic nerd, your not getting what he means. $5M is not going to get us anything huge and big out there. $15M - $20M will though. $5M can be tossed and used on a risky player such as Andruw. There's no harm when you have about $55M to $60M to spend in an offseason any way.

Yeah, you're right. Let's just overpay for every player by $5M. Throwing away $5M is still throwing away $5M. I'm amazed at how many people think it is such a miniscule amount of money.

MORE money to deal with is always better than LESS money. Say we piss away $5M on Andruw. What if down the road we have a chance to sign a pitcher and we need $12M but we only have $5M or $6M left? Not to mention that past performance is the best predictor of future performance so Andruw and his $5M would be long gone.

Yeah, let's toss $5M to a player that another team is PAYING OVER $21M TO WALK AWAY. That makes sense.

jdiddy24
01-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah, you're right. Let's just overpay for every player by $5M. Throwing away $5M is still throwing away $5M. I'm amazed at how many people think it is such a miniscule amount of money.

MORE money to deal with is always better than LESS money. Say we piss away $5M on Andruw. What if down the road we have a chance to sign a pitcher and we need $12M but we only have $5M or $6M left? Not to mention that past performance is the best predictor of future performance so Andruw and his $5M would be long gone.

Yeah, let's toss $5M to a player that another team is PAYING OVER $21M TO WALK AWAY. That makes sense.

...lol... then we will still be $1-2M short....

... but regardless the money doesnt rollover... if we dont spend the $5M this offseason we dont have an extra $5M next offseason... payroll doesnt work like that.

EDIT: also they arent paying Andruw 21M to walk away... they are defering ~$16M of his salary so they can resign Manny

Slash
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
that is the worst arguement... the money wont roll over into next season if we dont use it... you use it or lose it in baseball...

Spoken like a true worker. The money doesn't disappear. True, the money may not show up in next year's roster, but it isn't "lost." Say you own a team and you set the roster at $90M. If last year's roster was $85M, does that mean you lost $5M? Nope. Does it mean that you will raise next year's roster by that $5M? Not necessarily. But you could.

When it is spent, it is gone.

What players are we going to miss out on if we gave $5M to AJ? (not that i want to, let him get released then get him for minimum)

I don't know. Which players will be around until opening day? Which players will be available in the summer? Which players will still be around at the trading deadline?

.... none...

Impressive powers. I would bet that every GM would love to have your prescient powers.

we have ~$34.5M to spend... We could sign Dunn (~$12M), Lowe (~$14M), and Smoltz (~$4M)

Well, I suppose if those are the only players we are talking to and their agents are willing to accept your terms, we'll be fine.

Slash
01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
...lol... then we will still be $1-2M short....

lol yourself.... I knew the math. My point was that an owner is more willing to increase the budget for a big impact if the GM is fiscally conservative rather than maxxing out the budget at every opportunity.

... but regardless the money doesnt rollover... if we dont spend the $5M this offseason we dont have an extra $5M next offseason... payroll doesnt work like that.

Of course it does. The owner doesn't necessarily have to roll that money into next year's salaries, but he can. Schuerholz even specifically said that a couple of years ago. The Braves were out of the playoffs and Schuerholz said that he wasn't going to make any trades in order to hold onto the money for next year.

The only sure thing is if the money IS spent, the it CAN NOT be used next year.

The owners and the GM are making the decisions. You need to stop thinking like a low level state manager who is given a budget and has to protect that budget for the next year as well and start thinking like an owner.

EDIT: also they arent paying Andruw 21M to walk away... they are defering ~$16M of his salary so they can resign Manny

Really?

His salary would drop to $5 million this year in the new deal. But if the Dodgers cant find a team that will trade for him, Boras said Jones would be released and become a free agent Jan. 15.

Any team could then sign him to a minimum salary, with the Dodgers still obligated to pay him the entire amount hes owed.

The dodgers are paying Andruw to walk, which fittingly, is something he will not do for free at the plate.

Slash
01-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Here you go again with your moralizing. Andruw Jones doesn't live up to the mythical "standards" that you set for baseball players, so you don't want him.

Yeah, my mythical standards of batting average, hitting the ball where it is pitched, using the opposite side of the field, showing up in shape, and basically giving a damn.

My bad.

You talk all you want about his weight or whatever, but even as a fat lard last year, he'd have saved 12.4 runs in the field with his glove alone if he had played 150 games. If he hits like he did in 2008, then all will be for naught, but even as strikeout-happy Mr. Double Play of 2007, he's well worth $5 million for his glove.

Ok, so he saved 12.4 runs over the course of a year. Now, as I mentioned and you admitted, balance that with the DPs, lack of walks, and strikeouts and his "saved runs" are well into the negative.

You could save $4.5M and maybe not save those "12.4 runs" but ANY average performance at the plate and the net gains are substantial.

No way is $5M worth 12.4 runs over the course of a season. He would have to play for an AL team and a VERY good argument could be made to let the pitcher bat for himself and have the DL bat for Andruw.

Simple statistical fact; ignore it if you like because you're blinded by "how he left."

Nope. I'm blinded by his performance or more specifically, his lack of performance on the field.

Slash, if you don't even think taking a shot with Andruw is worth $1 million, you really do need a refresher course in baseball market dynamics.

No matter how cheap Andruw comes to the Braves, he still takes up a spot on the roster. Talk about needing a "refresher course in baseball market dynamics." look at what the Dodgers are doing. They are paying his FULL salary ANYWAY, yet they would rather pay Andruw's salary PLUS their worst outfielder's salary to have their backup outfielder on the roster.

tomno00
01-06-2009, 02:11 AM
damn slash impressive role your on here.

jdiddy24
01-06-2009, 03:32 AM
lol yourself.... I knew the math. My point was that an owner is more willing to increase the budget for a big impact if the GM is fiscally conservative rather than maxxing out the budget at every opportunity.

well dont make a statement like that then... That is a nice OPINION you have there... but an owner isnt necessarily going to increase the budget for a big impact if the GM is fiscally conservative rather than maxxing out the budget at every opportunity... There are a ton of teams that have been fiscally conservative... and they dont get a budget increase because they know in the end the Yankees will drive up the price and its not worth it... they hire a GM and give him a pretty firm budget to work with... and with the economy the way it is teams are even less likely to spend (as evident by this offseason)

Of course it does. The owner doesn't necessarily have to roll that money into next year's salaries, but he can. Schuerholz even specifically said that a couple of years ago. The Braves were out of the playoffs and Schuerholz said that he wasn't going to make any trades in order to hold onto the money for next year.

The only sure thing is if the money IS spent, the it CAN NOT be used next year.

The owners and the GM are making the decisions. You need to stop thinking like a low level state manager who is given a budget and has to protect that budget for the next year as well and start thinking like an owner.

Of course he can... but the Braves ownership wont because they are owned by a media co. that will more than likely sell us at its first opportunity (2011 i believe per the sale agreement). We arent owned by single owner like a Steinbrenner that can increase payroll whenever they feel like signing a big time FA.

Really?

His salary would drop to $5 million this year in the new deal. But if the Dodgers cant find a team that will trade for him, Boras said Jones would be released and become a free agent Jan. 15.

Any team could then sign him to a minimum salary, with the Dodgers still obligated to pay him the entire amount hes owed.

The dodgers are paying Andruw to walk, which fittingly, is something he will not do for free at the plate.

Yes they are paying him the entire salary but it is DEFERRED SO THEY CAN SIGN MANNY. It is easier for them to pay him in small increments over the next 8-10 years or whatever and sign Manny now... they have big mistake contracts coming off the books over the next couple years (Schmidt and Pierre) and they cant let Manny get away right now.

jmtapia
01-06-2009, 04:11 AM
lol yourself....

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

On a serious note this conversation might not matter bc it seems that the Dodgers will release AJ if not traded by the 15th. I could guarantee that if any team is willing to trade for him that the Dodgers would call or the Braves would call to check on him. Once released we would just sign him to the league minimum and there we go.

Slash
01-06-2009, 04:34 AM
well dont make a statement like that then...

Your statement was "use it or lose it."

My point was that it doesn't work like that. And it doesn't.

and with the economy the way it is teams are even less likely to spend (as evident by this offseason)

Yeah, record contract for a pitcher. Another 80 plus million for another pitcher and 180M for a first baseman. Manny is going to get over $60M. Furcal got $30M. Lowe will probably get $15M per for 4 or more years. Dempster got over $50M.

Yeah, no teams are spending.

Of course he can... but the Braves ownership wont because they are owned by a media co.

The self same Media co. that just substantially increased spending this year?

Yes they are paying him the entire salary but it is DEFERRED SO THEY CAN SIGN MANNY.

They are paying him his entire salary so he'll walk away. More importantly, by getting him to walk away they are freeing a roster spot.

And oh, DEFERRED MONEY STILL SPENDS THE SAME.

jdiddy24
01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Your statement was "use it or lose it."

My point was that it doesn't work like that. And it doesn't.

for us it does...

Yeah, record contract for a pitcher. Another 80 plus million for another pitcher and 180M for a first baseman. Manny is going to get over $60M. Furcal got $30M. Lowe will probably get $15M per for 4 or more years. Dempster got over $50M.

Yeah, no teams are spending.

ok so the Yankees who are opening a new stadium sign the top 3, the Dodgers sign furcal (at ~$6M less than they were paying him this season), Dempster got resigned by a BIG MARKET TEAM, and then you are speculating... this really shows how much you know... because 3 big market teams signed players the market is fine?.... no... the other 27 teams havent spent much of anything, Dunn who was thought to get $15M+ possibly $20M will be lucky to get $12M/yr, Burrell signed below market value, Manny wont get $60M, Lowe will DEFINATLY not get 4+ yrs at $15M/yr, and Abreu/Pettite/Griffey/O.Cabrera/O.Hudson/etc wont get the money that they wouldve got any other year

The self same Media co. that just substantially increased spending this year?

substantially lol? they added maybe $5M... we had a ton of money coming off the books... and since obviously you know nothing about how the Braves work as part of the sale to Liberty Media, MLB made it so Liberty Media couldnt decrease payroll or sell the team before 2011 so the Braves (one of MLBs top teams) wouldnt suffer from a stock trade. Do some research before you make a statement like that

They are paying him his entire salary so he'll walk away. More importantly, by getting him to walk away they are freeing a roster spot.

And oh, DEFERRED MONEY STILL SPENDS THE SAME.

I didnt say it didnt... I was saying they arent paying him to leave... they are deferring his salary so they can resign Manny... They need Manny and cant afford to lose him and this is the only way they could do it this offseason unless they found someone to take Jason Schmidt's contract (impossible) or took on another bad contract (Castillo) then they wouldnt be able to resign Andruw. Andruw and Manny are both represented by Boras and Boras knew this was a way that he can get the most money for Manny since the Yankees, Angels, and obviously the Red Sox arent going to pursue him.

rtgthree
01-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, my mythical standards of batting average, hitting the ball where it is pitched, using the opposite side of the field, showing up in shape, and basically giving a damn.

My bad.

You think you're being clever, but really that IS your bad. Talk all you like about batting average and hitting the ball the other way...that's all process. I'm concerned with results, and Andruw hasn't hit 371 home runs without a great deal of talent. The potential that such talent could emerge once again is worth a $1 million try.

But your last point there is your undoing. What do you care if players "give a damn"?

Ok, so he saved 12.4 runs over the course of a year. Now, as I mentioned and you admitted, balance that with the DPs, lack of walks, and strikeouts and his "saved runs" are well into the negative.

You could save $4.5M and maybe not save those "12.4 runs" but ANY average performance at the plate and the net gains are substantial.

No way is $5M worth 12.4 runs over the course of a season. He would have to play for an AL team and a VERY good argument could be made to let the pitcher bat for himself and have the DL bat for Andruw.

Wrong again, bud. Wind the clocks back to 2007. He was indeed worth -7.3 runs at the plate, but he saved 19.8 runs in the field. His was worth about 3.5 wins above replacement, and that's worth SIGNIFICANTLY more than $5 million (granted, there's no reason to pay him $5 million when we can get him for less. Hence my statement that you're blinded by just not liking him. The stats don't back you up.

You want to bring 2008 into the picture, he was indeed negative overall in 2008. If he comes to camp looking that bad, you simply cut him and forget about him (see below). But let's face it...he had a pretty horrible year in 2007, and I would never have paid him the money he wanted then. But we're talking about VERY different amounts of money now.

Also, you're wrong to say that 12.4 runs aren't worth $5 million. Those runs translate to roughly one win (ten runs is a win). In today's market, one win above replacement is valued at a little less than $5 million. Facts. Be rational and face them.

No matter how cheap Andruw comes to the Braves, he still takes up a spot on the roster. Talk about needing a "refresher course in baseball market dynamics." look at what the Dodgers are doing. They are paying his FULL salary ANYWAY, yet they would rather pay Andruw's salary PLUS their worst outfielder's salary to have their backup outfielder on the roster.

He does NOT take up a spot on the roster. You sign him to a deal worth perhaps $1 million. Then, if he shows up overweight and unable to hit, there's this magical transaction known as "releasing." And what happens when you release a guy? He NO LONGER takes up a roster spot, and he is no longer the property of your team. It's amazing how that works, you know. No one is saying you guarantee the guy employment no matter what.

Jon93405
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
He does NOT take up a spot on the roster. You sign him to a deal worth perhaps $1 million. Then, if he shows up overweight and unable to hit, there's this magical transaction known as "releasing." And what happens when you release a guy? He NO LONGER takes up a roster spot, and he is no longer the property of your team. It's amazing how that works, you know. No one is saying you guarantee the guy employment no matter what.

If the Dodgers release him, Andruw can make no more than league minimum from another team. I don't think he's worth much, and I have little faith in his willingness to adjust, but he's worth $400K.

Braves14
01-06-2009, 10:37 PM
If Andruw Jones were available at league minimum, you're damn right I'd take it in a heartbeat. As rtgthree alluded too, you don't hit 371 HR's and then just forget how to. The talent is still there, I'm just not syre the willingness is. I know one thing for sure, he will listen to Bobby Cox and I have faith that Cox and Pendleton would be able to straighten him out.

Jon93405
01-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Getting released from an $18 million contract might convince him that he needs to make some changes.

GLASSMAN
01-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Have there been any recent interviews with Andruw that would indicate his commitment to prove himself to both himself, which I think is important, and any future suitor? I imagine his confidence and or his self esteem is a factor in any future success. We know about his past success but what about his current mind set?

jdiddy24
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Getting released from an $18 million contract might convince him that he needs to make some changes.

I just see him being motivated this season to get a contract next season (not to mention Boras would like some more leverage come contract time)

jknight136
01-07-2009, 01:48 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/perrotto-on-and.html

jdiddy24
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Perrotto On Andruw Jones, Kawakami
By Tim Dierkes [January 7 at 11:35am CST]
Today we have a few rumors from John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus. The Braves "will likely sign Andruw Jones" if the Dodgers end up releasing him. Perrotto also believes the Braves are in the lead for Kenshin Kawakami.

... figured id post the short little write up

Throwbacks
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Today we have a few rumors from John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus. The Braves "will likely sign Andruw Jones" if the Dodgers end up releasing him. Perrotto also believes the Braves are in the lead for Kenshin Kawakami.

Source: MLBTradeRumors (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/perrotto-on-and.html)

baseballs14d
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
already been posted in andruw and kenshin threads

Throwbacks
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
already been posted in andruw and kenshin threads

Didn't know there was any.

jdiddy24
01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
yea lol... someone posted the link then I posted the article for the lazy readers

hawksd911
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
i say sign him to a 2 year deal and next year he should go to the Pelicans and if he should improve alot and loose 20 pounds than he can mabey fight for a job on the braves

Slash
01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
If Andruw Jones were available at league minimum, you're damn right I'd take it in a heartbeat. As rtgthree alluded too, you don't hit 371 HR's and then just forget how to.

No one "forgets" how to hit, but the "ability" to hit can drop quickly. Look at Juan Gonzalaz and Roberto Alomar.

The talent is still there, I'm just not syre the willingness is.

The talent ISN'T there. If the talent WAS there, then he would have produced.

I know one thing for sure, he will listen to Bobby Cox and I have faith that Cox and Pendleton would be able to straighten him out.

Yeah, because of Andruw's track record of listening to Cox and T.P. is so stellar. He didn't listen to them then and he won't listen to them now.

baseballs14d
01-07-2009, 08:10 PM
No one "forgets" how to hit, but the "ability" to hit can drop quickly. Look at Juan Gonzalaz and Roberto Alomar.

The talent ISN'T there. If the talent WAS there, then he would have produced.

Yeah, because of Andruw's track record of listening to Cox and T.P. is so stellar. He didn't listen to them then and he won't listen to them now.

Dude seriously we are going to sign him to a 1yr/400K contract. If he sucks again so what RELEASE HIM you only lost 400K, but just think if he puts up halfway decent numbers the we have a bargain. This is a NO RISK HIGH REWARD MOVE dont sit here and say its a bad one just because you hate the guy.

Slash
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
for us it does...

You are becoming boring now. How you don't understand that having a dollar in your wallet on Dec 31st carries over to Jan 1st, while spending that dollar means it is gone, is beyond my ability to explain it to you.

I've stated each time that the owner doesn't necessarily have to put that money into next year's roaster, but the money isn't "gone" as you continually state.

ok so the Yankees who are opening a new stadium sign the top 3, the Dodgers sign furcal (at ~$6M less than they were paying him this season),

He is older and, IIRC, he missed half of last season. So getting as much money as he didn't with his health problems was impressive.

Dempster got resigned by a BIG MARKET TEAM

And?

, and then you are speculating...

Ok, my bad. It was silly for me to assume there will be other signings before opening day.

this really shows how much you know... because 3 big market teams signed players the market is fine?

Hey, you are the one who said "teams are even less likely to spend (as evident by this offseason)" and probably close to a half a billion dollars have been signed so far.

The offseason signings are rolling and I am willing to speculate that there will be more signings before the first pitch.

.... no... the other 27 teams havent spent much of anything, Dunn who was thought to get $15M+ possibly $20M will be lucky to get $12M/yr, Burrell signed below market value, Manny wont get $60M, Lowe will DEFINATLY not get 4+ yrs at $15M/yr, and Abreu/Pettite/Griffey/O.Cabrera/O.Hudson/etc wont get the money that they wouldve got any other year

I'm sure every GM had your incredible psychic powers since you know the absolute max for everyone.

But according to your faulty "use it or lose it" logic, your position has to be that every team will spend at LEAST as much as they last year so the money will be spent, right?

substantially lol? they added maybe $5M...

Is that all?

"Malone has given his baseball people all the money they need, upping the club payroll from $87 million to $102 million, the tenth highest in the majors. "I think the management, if anything, is reasonably more empowered now," says Liberty's chief executive, Gregory Maffei. "We've backed them and given them freedom to move." At first there was fear Malone might flip the team for a quick profit, but he says he can see owning it for decades, even though he's contractually obliged to hold on only until 2011. "Most of the assets we're in we've owned for a long time," he says, citing his involvement in Turner Broadcasting--since 1986--and QVC. "I like to think the Braves are an appreciating asset."

"Malone says he has set no limit on the payroll: "We won't be cheap. We'd like to win. If Terry calls up and says they need something, they'll get it."

Do some research before you make a statement like that

Read above and do your own research.

I didnt say it didnt... I was saying they arent paying him to leave... they are deferring his salary so they can resign Manny...

You are naive. You do know the phrase "one hand washes the other" right? Players don't renegotiate their contracts and extend their payment for years for no reason and the only reason Andruw is letting them pay him over a period of years rather than now is so they will release him so he can play for another team THIS year and sign a new contract.

Andruw gets released and the Dodgers get an easy payment plan.

Everyone but you realizes the Dodgers are paying him to leave.

Slash
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
you hate the guy.

I don't hate the guy. Why would you think that? I've never even insinuated that I hate Andruw.

When did it change that arguing against signing a player means that you hate him?

Yeesh.

baseballs14d
01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't hate the guy. Why would you think that? I've never even insinuated that I hate Andruw.

When did it change that arguing against signing a player means that you hate him?

Yeesh.

because man if you had any sense you would see that signing him for 400K is a win win situation and doesnt hurt the team at all the only motive you could have to not sign him for 400K is that you hate the guy.

Zaunnie
01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Sign Andruw and sign Dunn so that we can have a line-up similar to what we had when we acquired Tex

Slash
01-07-2009, 10:12 PM

He is not being released from the contract. He is getting paid every cent.

Why would he make any changes?

He gained weight every year until it was his contract year. He refused to listen to anyone's advice and continually batted the way he wanted to and didn't care how it impacted his stats or the team.

He was rewarded with being either the 3rd or 5th highest paid player in the game.

He then showed up overweight once he got his money.

If the Braves sign him, it will end badly. Very badly.

Slash
01-07-2009, 10:15 PM
because man if you had any sense you would see that signing him for 400K is a win win situation and doesnt hurt the team at all the only motive you could have to not sign him for 400K is that you hate the guy.

Of course. There can be only one reason not to sign him. How silly of me for not realizing that.

rtgthree
01-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Of course. There can be only one reason not to sign him. How silly of me for not realizing that.

It's not that there can only be one reason not to. It's that it this particular case, there reasons not to are heavily outweighed by the positive potential. There is zero cost. You're the one posting quotes from Liberty Media saying that "If Terry calls up and says they need something, they'll get it." For such a benevolent corporate owner (you do realize that's an oxymoron, right?), what's an extra $400,000?

And the roster spot? Puh-leeze. Let's put it this way: unless you'd rather see Gregor Blanco or Josh Anderson in center every day, the Braves will have to carry Jordan Schafer, right? Well, guess what...he's not on the 40-man roster! So sign Jones and cut somebody now (actually there's a spot free on the 40-man right now, but let's hope that gets occupied before January 15th). Then, if Jones comes to camp and falls on his face, just let Schafer take his roster spot. You don't lose anybody that you wouldn't have lost anyway. I figure the Braves will trade two players off the 40-man between now and February (either Blanco or Anderson, plus a more valuable piece--perhaps Prado--in exchange for an outfielder). Add in the current free slot, and the fact that Francisley Bueno and Anthony Lerew would EASILY clear waivers (as if you'd care that they got claimed), and you've got five roster spots free right there to fill with new acquisitions.

Two starters, a left fielder, Andruw and Smoltz. Works out kinda nicely. And if Jones sucks, you won't have cut the great Anthony Lerew in vain; Jordan Schafer just assumes his roster spot.

Sorry Slash, but you've got no ammo against this, because the cost is about as close to zero as you can get, and because in spite of your sincerest efforts to prove otherwise, Andruw Jones is an immensely talented baseball player. Bringing Jones back in hopes of him regaining his former success is a no-brainer given the cost.

Bravefan29
01-07-2009, 11:32 PM
I say we seriously should try for Swisher since he is officially available, I also thinking picking up A.J. could not hurt. Hey RTG what would the Braves have to give up for the Switch Hitting services of Swisher?

Link:http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/38721

Slash
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
It's not that there can only be one reason not to.

"the only motive you could have to not sign him for 400K is that you hate the guy."

baseballs14d
01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
"the only motive you could have to not sign him for 400K is that you hate the guy."

then please explain based on a 400K salary it would be a bad idea?

Slash
01-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Andruw Jones is an immensely talented baseball player.

He was. His body is breaking down and packing on the pounds doesn't help.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that people would pray for a strike-out whenever Andruw was batting with men on base. Everyone seems to have forgotten Andruw swinging wildly and falling out of the batters box on nearly every pitch. Everyone seems to have forgotten Andruw walking up to the plate and swinging for the fences every at bat. No matter the score. No matter the situation. Everyone seems to have forgotten Andruw showing up heavier and heavier every year except his contract year. Hell, Frenchy did it one year, had a tough year, and swore he would never do it again. And he added muscle, not fat.

The Dodgers are paying Andruw over $21M to walk away yet people think it is a good idea to bring this guy into our clubhouse.

Andruw hasn't changed and it is folly to think he has.

baseballs14d
01-08-2009, 12:43 AM
He was. His body is breaking down and packing on the pounds doesn't help.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that people would pray for a strike-out whenever Andruw was batting with men on base. Everyone seems to have forgotten Andruw swinging wildly and falling out of the batters box on nearly every pitch. Everyone seems to have forgotten Andruw walking up to the plate and swinging for the fences every at bat. No matter the score. No matter the situation. Everyone seems to have forgotten Andruw showing up heavier and heavier every year except his contract year. Hell, Frenchy did it one year, had a tough year, and swore he would never do it again. And he added muscle, not fat.

The Dodgers are paying Andruw over $21M to walk away yet people think it is a good idea to bring this guy into our clubhouse.

Andruw hasn't changed and it is folly to think he has.

Two words if he is a problem RELEASE HIM! you act like we will be stuck with him and its just not true if he doesnt do anything but impress us RELEASE HIS *** damn man think it through. His reward monumentally outweighs his risk. Wouldn't it suck if he found his swing and had a year like in 2007, and we could've had him for 400k? Its 400K if he isnt everything we want him to be just RELEASE HIM and if you say 400K will prevent us from getting another guy then dang dude you really need to have your head examined.

Slash
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
then please explain based on a 400K salary it would be a bad idea?

That would be a good idea. I should probably make a post explaining why I think that. Wait, I've made a dozen of them so far.

baseballs14d
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
That would be a good idea. I should probably make a post explaining why I think that. Wait, I've made a dozen of them so far.

then make a post that makes sense!

jdiddy24
01-08-2009, 02:43 AM
I say we seriously should try for Swisher since he is officially available, I also thinking picking up A.J. could not hurt. Hey RTG what would the Braves have to give up for the Switch Hitting services of Swisher?

Link:http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/38721

probably identical to what the Yankees paid for him...

Bravefan29
01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
probably identical to what the Yankees paid for him...

So this is what the Yanks Gave for Swisher and a pitcher:

Wilson Betemit
Jeff Marquez
Jhonny Nunez

So If the Braves only want Swisher how about something like:

Gorky Hernandez of Diory Hernandez (I would rather keep Prado)
Kris Medlen or Acosta or Carlyle
I'm thinking something along those lines what do you think jdiddy24?

jdiddy24
01-08-2009, 11:05 AM
So this is what the Yanks Gave for Swisher and a pitcher:

Wilson Betemit
Jeff Marquez
Jhonny Nunez

So If the Braves only want Swisher how about something like:

Gorky Hernandez of Diory Hernandez (I would rather keep Prado)
Kris Medlen or Acosta or Carlyle
I'm thinking something along those lines what do you think jdiddy24?

well Gorkys or Diory are two very different players... Gorkys has upside and a top prospect, Doiry doesnt and isnt... any deal is tough to judge since I dont see them needing a INF UTIL anymroe since they just signed Angle Berroa and still have Cody Ransom. So they might just want a package of minor league pitching prospects (Medlen, Acosta, and maybe throw in Diory if they want him)

Slash
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
then make a post that makes sense!

I'll make sure to PM all of my posts to you for approval first.

baseballs14d
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I'll make sure to PM all of my posts to you for approval first.

cool! sounds great . . . now on a serious note give me one good reason not to sign him for 400K knowing that IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG WE CAN JUST RELEASE HIM. Lets go over scenarios:

scenario 1: He comes in fat and lazy and refuses to listen.
solution 1: RELEASE HIM! Loss = 400K

scenario 2: He comes in willing to work lost some weight but he still just cant hit the ball.
solution 2: RELEASE HIM! Loss = 400K

scenario 3: He starts off hot hitting the ball well but starts to taper off and go back to the old Andruw.
solution 3: RELEASE HIM! Loss is less than 400K got a couple of good months out of him.

scenario 4: He come in reinvigorated and ready to go and has a 2007 like season.
solution 4: Bargain at 400K

scenario 5: He comes in and mashes like he always used to do.
solution 5: DAMN WHAT A BARGAIN!!!!!!

Anything I left out because those are the only alternatives I see and If you still think this is a bad idea just write in a post:

"I hate the guy and don't want him back in Atlanta" go on ill approve it!

At least that will give you a legitimate reason for bashing this signing and probably get you a little more respect than what you are getting now Everyone has their own opinion but your reasoning just doesn't make any sense.

baseballislife7
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
A gold glove OF with the potential to hit for 400K that is a bargin. If he doesn't hit then oh, well. We gave him a shot.

tomno00
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
there should be a clause in his contract that makes him give up the money to charity if he dosent make the team... i mean seriously the dude is getting paid 21 million from the dodgers for doing absolutely nothing...

jmtapia
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
^^^ that bloated contract came with a risk Dodgers knew what they were getting themselves into...

tomno00
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
i feel you, but still, there aren't a lot of jobs out there that allow you to make that much money after getting fired. I think it would be a nice gesture on behalf of the jones family... just sayin

Slash
01-08-2009, 03:10 PM
At least that will give you a legitimate reason for bashing this signing and probably get you a little more respect than what you are getting now Everyone has their own opinion but your reasoning just doesn't make any sense.

1) It is obvious that you have never managed people.

2) Just because it doesn't make sense to you, or some other person, doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense.

3) 400k for Andruw's 2007 season is $1.4M too much.

Bringing Andruw back can only end badly. Anyone who thinks Andruw can regain his PRE-1996 form is fooling themselves.

jmtapia
01-08-2009, 03:25 PM
^^^ its $.4 K!!!!!!!! It might end badly that isnt out of the question. But the risk is worth it. If he hits .275 25 HR and 90 RBI and plays solid Defense he will be worth WAY more then that. More importantly it will give Schafer a chance to develop for another year or so.

Slash
01-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I think it is damn funny how during the last half of 2006 and all of 2007, people were saying "trade him, bench him, release him" They were saying "Another strike-out with men in scoring position?" "Look at Andruw falling down at the plate again." "Damn it Andruw. We just need a single to the opposite field not another warning track fly." "Another double play?"

Those same people are saying "Sign him!!!! Sign him!!!"

How quickly memories fade.

jmtapia
01-08-2009, 03:37 PM
^^^For one i wasnt one of those people. Also there is a huge difference to pay him $10 Mill + or just $250 K. Its worth the risk what ever way you look at it.

tomno00
01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
slash, we have franceour to remind us of that. Trust me, i think we all remember andruw. But, it would be a cheap investment. You have to look at the cost-benefit ratio,

Slash
01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Its worth the risk what ever way you look at it.

Yeah, he is only older, lowered his average from .222 in 2007 (and still refused to listen to anyone), had surgery on his knee, and still showed up fatter on opening day in L.A..

Yeah, he's changed.

I'm done with this thread. You, and others, will not convince me and I won't convince you. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

As long as the "down and away" pitch exists, Andruw will bat below .200.

jmtapia
01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, he is only older, lowered his average from .222 in 2007 (and still refused to listen to anyone), had surgery on his knee, and still showed up fatter on opening day in L.A..

Yeah, he's changed.

I'm done with this thread. You, and others, will not convince me and I won't convince you. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

As long as the "down and away" pitch exists, Andruw will bat below .200.

Thats thing i actually know exactly where you are coming from and what you are saying but even after all that what draws me in is the $1 Mill or less that AJ will cost...in baseball that is pocket change. But what ever, your argument will certainly not change my mind and you arent caring to have an open mind so yeah minus well just end this discussion here.

Slash
01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I know I said I was done but I just can't resist this...

The very definition of irony:
your argument will certainly not change my mind and you arent caring to have an open mind

Priceless.

Born a Brave
01-08-2009, 06:50 PM
^^ haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmtapia
01-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Like i reiterate i see where your coming from (<--- OPEN MIND) where as you dont see where others are (<--- NOT OPEN MINDED). We all see the risk but you seem to not weight the positives.

PS: i was going to drop the subject but since you took one more stab ill take one too.

rtgthree
01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
3) 400k for Andruw's 2007 season is $1.4M too much.

This is utterly and entirely false. He was worth 3.5 WAR in 2007, and one WAR is worth a little less than $5 million. You do the math.

I think it is damn funny how during the last half of 2006 and all of 2007, people were saying "trade him, bench him, release him" They were saying "Another strike-out with men in scoring position?" "Look at Andruw falling down at the plate again." "Damn it Andruw. We just need a single to the opposite field not another warning track fly." "Another double play?"

Those same people are saying "Sign him!!!! Sign him!!!"

How quickly memories fade.

I am one of the people that disliked him but now wants to sign him, and it has nothing to do with a bad memory. But the cost now is zero. Please delineate for me exactly what an Andruw Jones signing is going to cost the Braves. What will they lose? A roster spot? Nope. Money? Not really. You can offer him a $400,000 contract, and if he gets cut in Spring Training, he makes less than $50K. Coaches' time? That's their job. A locker at the Spring Training complex? This is starting to get ridiculous.

WHAT DO THE BRAVES STAND TO LOSE?

jdiddy24
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
This is utterly and entirely false. He was worth 3.5 WAR in 2007, and one WAR is worth a little less than $5 million. You do the math.

I am one of the people that disliked him but now wants to sign him, and it has nothing to do with a bad memory. But the cost now is zero. Please delineate for me exactly what an Andruw Jones signing is going to cost the Braves. What will they lose? A roster spot? Nope. Money? Not really. You can offer him a $400,000 contract, and if he gets cut in Spring Training, he makes less than $50K. Coaches' time? That's their job. A locker at the Spring Training complex? This is starting to get ridiculous.

WHAT DO THE BRAVES STAND TO LOSE?

dont waste your time explaining anything to Slash... it doesnt work. He makes up his mind on a subject and doesnt change it nor defend it well

rtgthree
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
dont waste your time explaining anything to Slash... it doesnt work. He makes up his mind on a subject and doesnt change it nor defend it well

Not trying to explain anything. Trying to get HIM to explain. I lose nothing if he doesn't respond.

Slash
01-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Like i reiterate i see where your coming from (<--- OPEN MIND) where as you dont see where others are (<--- NOT OPEN MINDED). We all see the risk but you seem to not weight the positives.

Just like you said you did, I considered your argument. Just because I don't specifically state as much, doesn't mean that I didn't. Just like you arrived at your conclusion after considering different points of view, so did I and you acting like I simply ignored your point of view for no good reason reflects you.

Anyway...

The biggest problem on forums such as this is that people don't view players, GMs, coaches, or even other posters as people. Anonymity breeds rudeness. Yes, I've been guilty as well.

One of the most profound things I have read about players is that when a player is cut, not only he is cut, but his entire family as well. Cutting a player goes well beyond him walking out of the office. Since Andruw has already made his money, this is less of a problem for him but he still takes up a spot that we need for someone new. Bringing Andruw back brings back a lot of baggage and, due to his poor play the last two years he was here and the year after, the majority of it is bad. You would think after his struggles the past 3 years, he would have turned over a new leaf. Unfortunately, Andruw's attitude hasn't changed in the least. He continually showed up overweight and his body is how he makes his living. The extra weight he carries not only slows him down but it is physically more demanding on him as he plays. He has had knee problems yet he doesn't care enough to lose weight to take pressure off those knees. His extremely poor batting over the past 3 years is only rivaled by his stubbornness to refuse to listen to any advice.

Andruw has shown himself to be lazy and perfectly content to allow his physical gifts to carry him until they fail. His stubbornness has accelerated those failings.

Signing Andruw has three possible outcomes; 1 good and two bad.

The one good outcome has Andruw, against all odds and himself, turning it around and playing back up to his potential. And yes, at 400k, he would be a steal. However, this has no chance to happen. The best predictor of future performance is past performance and Andruw has shown that he is going to weigh what he wants to weigh and he is going to bat the way he wants to bat. He hasn't changed his approach in three years so why would he now? You can say it is a contract year, but he didn't change his approach to baseball in his last contract year or in the first year with his new team. Look at Frenchy. He busted his *** last offseason to be a better batter and it was catastrophic. What did he do? He busted his *** to change and IIRC, he was batting .270 or so the last 6 weeks. He has already stated that what happened last year will not happen this year. Recognizing the mistake, admitting he was wrong, and working to fix it is what you want in a person.

The bad outcome is that he plays the way he has for the past 3 years and is cut during spring training. Many people think this would be no big deal but it still is. Baggage is brought to spring training and everyone would be invested in making this work. I honestly think Andruw just isn't worth the effort. After all, if he doesn't care why should anyone else? He takes up a spot that someone else is more deserving of and the Braves should give other person the shot.

The incredibly bad outcome, and the one I think is most likely, is that Andruw plays just good enough to beat out the last outfielder and make the roster. Think Andruw would be happy coming off the bench? Nope. Look for bellyaching in the press. Look for Andruw to continue his struggles at the plate. Think there will be any end to reporting that in the press? Nope. Do you think there will be any end to people second guessing the signing of Andruw when he grounds into yet another double-play? Add in that Cox is extremely loyal to his veteran's and it will only end badly.

The signing of Andruw will be a train wreck and the only way to avoid it is not to sign him.

baseballs14d
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
The incredibly bad outcome, and the one I think is most likely, is that Andruw plays just good enough to beat out the last outfielder and make the roster. Think Andruw would be happy coming off the bench? Nope. Look for bellyaching in the press. Look for Andruw to continue his struggles at the plate. Think there will be any end to reporting that in the press? Nope. Do you think there will be any end to people second guessing the signing of Andruw when he grounds into yet another double-play? Add in that Cox is extremely loyal to his veteran's and it will only end badly.

The signing of Andruw will be a train wreck and the only way to avoid it is not to sign him.

I do think there would be an end as soon as this happens the Braves will cut him.

rtgthree
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Since Andruw has already made his money, this is less of a problem for him but he still takes up a spot that we need for someone new.

That is downright false. If there was some sort of guarantee that he had to be on the roster all year, I'd agree with you, but I doubt his contract will contain anything of the sort. He's not taking the spot of ANYBODY new. No one, unless you're really worried about losing Francisley Bueno or Anthony Lerew.

Bringing Andruw back brings back a lot of baggage and, due to his poor play the last two years he was here and the year after, the majority of it is bad.

It might, if there were expectations. At this point, there are none. He brings baggage that the Braves don't like, they send him home. The Braves can shoot first and ask questions later, and no one will criticize them for it.

You would think after his struggles the past 3 years, he would have turned over a new leaf. Unfortunately, Andruw's attitude hasn't changed in the least. He continually showed up overweight and his body is how he makes his living. The extra weight he carries not only slows him down but it is physically more demanding on him as he plays. He has had knee problems yet he doesn't care enough to lose weight to take pressure off those knees. His extremely poor batting over the past 3 years is only rivaled by his stubbornness to refuse to listen to any advice.

I don't disagree in the least, but you're talking about perhaps $50 grand to bring him to Spring Training. If anything could humble him, it would be his experience in Los Angeles. You also fail to recognize that even in 2007, when he was overweight and batting poorly, he was still a significant net positive. Even when posting a .724 OPS, he was worth well more than $400,000.

Signing Andruw has three possible outcomes; 1 good and two bad.

Horrendous logical fallacy. There are actually many more possible outcomes. But I'll just look at your three.

Outcome #1: You continue to wrongly assume that Andruw has to go back to being Andruw circa 2005 to be valuable. Is it really so hard to think he could go back to Andruw circa 2007? You say he sucked pretty bad in 2007, overweight and unable to hit. Is it really so hard to believe that he could once again be merely "a little overweight" and merely "pretty bad" at the plate? Because the numbers show almost unequivocally that his 2007 season was worth perhaps twenty times what the Braves would pay him for a full season of work in 2009. His going back to Andruw '05 would just be icing on the cake.

Outcome #2: He comes to ST, plays bad, and no, it's not a big deal. Not at all. What "baggage" could he possibly bring? He brings a lazy attitude maybe, at worst. You worry that will spread or something? Braves perceive something they don't like, they tell him to get lost. Simple as that. Everyone would be invested in getting him back because that's THEIR JOB. That's why coaches get paid and why managers get paid: to create winning teams. For a mid-market team like the Braves, winning requires finding value where no other teams see it. That's why we pay coaches, to help players that need help. And I'll ask for the umpteeth time...WHOSE spot is he taking? Really. If there's a better alternative, the Braves will send Andruw packing and give the spot to the next guy.

Outcome #3: The organization would have to be pretty dumb to bring Andruw off the bench. If you think Frank Wren and Bobby Cox are really blind enough to try to sell Andruw on a bench job, then you really do lack confidence in the Braves. They know better than to try to force Jones to accept an assignment he doesn't want.

If someone gives you a train for free, who cares if it gets wrecked?

jwn0303
01-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Ding ding ding ding.

Conversation is over, and Rtg is the winner.

A_Brave_Pack
01-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Mommy...Daddy...stop fighting!!! :)

Seriously though, good conversation, but got off the topic a TAD. I think that AJ at $400k (league min) would be worth it. This way, he could play CF, and allow Schafer a chance to get some seasoning in Gwinnett (AAA) at the beginning of the year. If Schafer and AJ prove effective, why not stick AJ in Left and allow Schafer to play Center? And if AJ struggles, he only cost us $400k. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I mean, come on guys, we gave Javy Lopez another shot...why not give AJ one?

jmtapia
01-11-2009, 02:38 AM
^^ could happen but one of the following would have to happen:

1. We dont get a LF in the off season.... I would be really disappointed if this happened.

2. Schafer would have to destroy ST and his first month of AAA. While this could happen. Bc of number 1, above, i dont see this happening. The only way i see Schafer coming up is if it is to replace AJ as our everyday CF.

Frankly i see AJ being good enough to keep CF manned for the whole year and Schafer being a Sept. call up to get his AB then.

Slash
01-12-2009, 12:08 AM

1) There is no such thing as a free lunch.
2) The tracks can be used for an effective train instead.
3) The train wreck can also take out the station.

ugadawgsfan17
01-12-2009, 12:12 AM

:laugh:

ugadawgsfan17
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
There really should be an incentive in the contract about his weight. The guy came into the majors looking like this (http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p879303dt.jpg) and now looks like this (http://clubhousecancer.typepad.com/clubhouse_cancer/WindowsLiveWriter/AndruwJones_thumb.jpg).

baseballs14d
01-12-2009, 12:39 AM
There really should be an incentive in the contract about his weight. The guy came into the majors looking like this (http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p879303dt.jpg) and now looks like this (http://clubhousecancer.typepad.com/clubhouse_cancer/WindowsLiveWriter/AndruwJones_thumb.jpg).

the incentive for the weight is that we cut his azz if he doesnt cut it himself lol

Slash
01-12-2009, 01:34 AM

The need to put something in the contract about that mustache. :)

rtgthree
01-12-2009, 05:37 PM

No, there isn't. But this is pretty damn close. Please, tell us: what does Andruw Jones cost? (Hint: Don't say "a roster spot," see below.)

You've still got this ridiculous conception that Andruw Jones is taking up someone's roster spot. Please, tell us: whose spot would he be taking? (Hint: without Jones, there's a strong likelihood that the addition of Jordan Schafer to the 40-man roster forces the Braves to cut someone anyway. If we bring in Jones and he sucks, let Schafer just take Jones' roster spot.)

Please, tell us: what would a possible scenario look like where Jones "takes out the station"? Is he going to actually make other players worse? Is he going to hurt someone else? Is his bulk going to damage the playing fields?

I'd really love to hear you try to provide reasonable answers to any of these questions.

tomno00
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
No, there isn't. But this is pretty damn close. Please, tell us: what does Andruw Jones cost? (Hint: Don't say "a roster spot," see below.)

You've still got this ridiculous conception that Andruw Jones is taking up someone's roster spot. Please, tell us: whose spot would he be taking? (Hint: without Jones, there's a strong likelihood that the addition of Jordan Schafer to the 40-man roster forces the Braves to cut someone anyway. If we bring in Jones and he sucks, let Schafer just take Jones' roster spot.)

Please, tell us: what would a possible scenario look like where Jones "takes out the station"? Is he going to actually make other players worse? Is he going to hurt someone else? Is his bulk going to damage the playing fields?

I'd really love to hear you try to provide reasonable answers to any of these questions.

you didn't know he was contagious?

jdiddy24
01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
there is going to be an interview with Andruw Jones on the local Atlanta FOX station tonight (after 24 lol)... if i watch it ill let you know

CrippledRam
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Andruw Jones has interest in returning to the Atlanta Braves, MyFoxAtlanta.com reports.

In a video on the TV station's Web site, Jones is shown working out with current Braves Chipper Jones and Brian McCann.

"It would be nice to kind of finish my career here," Jones told the station from an Atlanta batting cage.

The station also interviews McCann, who said Jones looks great.

OOOOO this offseason is getting fun. For all you FW haters just hang out and watch the master work in the next few weeks.

jmtapia
01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
great news...AJ knows what he is doing. If there were two people to be around it would be Chipper and BMac...

tomno00
01-13-2009, 12:02 AM
saw the interview... still looks like andruw could loose a good 20 lbs.

Bravefan29
01-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I also saw the interview and I would say he looks like the AJ of 2006 size wise so to me he looks in much better shape than he did in 2007 or 2008. I think he is a brave in the next few weeks and what's the worst that can happen he does horrible and we cut him, and the best he plays somewhat like the AJ of old and we put him in LF in 2010 when Jordan is ready. I am a believer sign him to play for the Braves this year.:clap:

Braves83
01-13-2009, 12:10 AM
saw the interview... still looks like andruw could loose a good 20 lbs.

Ya but he does look alot better then before. Him practicing with Chipper is a great idea. I was one of the guys that really wanted AJ out of here. He played his whole career with Chipper and still didn't manage to get better,so what makes it think he will do it now?

I'm not sure where i stand with this. I guess i wouldn't mind hm back because we could use some of his power in the lineup. Put him in CF but lets still go out and get that bat that we need at LF. What would this do to the prospects waiting in the wings at OF tho? If Frenchy turns things around and has a better 2009 and AJ also improves,then we might have to move one of those guys to LF. That all depends who will get this offseason to play that position as well.

tomno00
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Ya but he does look alot better then before. Him practicing with Chipper is a great idea. I was one of the guys that really wanted AJ out of here. He played his whole career with Chipper and still didn't manage to get better,so what makes it think he will do it now?

I'm not sure where i stand with this. I guess i wouldn't mind hm back because we could use some of his power in the lineup. Put him in CF but lets still go out and get that bat that we need at LF. What would this do to the prospects waiting in the wings at OF tho? If Frenchy turns things around and has a better 2009 and AJ also improves,then we might have to move one of those guys to LF. That all depends who will get this offseason to play that position as well.

im not against signing him, as long as its close to the minimum. IMO he should play for free next year.

baseballs14d
01-13-2009, 12:14 AM
link to interview http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=8237824&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=6.1.1

based on previous years he looks DAMN good to me 400K well worth this risk!

laxman1017
01-13-2009, 12:17 AM
You have GOT to be impressed with how he looks in that video....he does not look nearly like the overweight slob people were making him out to be. I was NOT an AJ fan at the end of his career....but he has something to prove. $400,000 is a NO BRAINER for this guy.

tomno00
01-13-2009, 12:18 AM
yea he does look a lot better. he seemed fatter on the TV. Brian looks like he lost weight as well.

laxman1017
01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah I heard he changed his diet, and his brother did it with him...slimmed down a lot to take some stress off his knees (good call)....maybe he'll be drag bunting like Gregor this year...hahahahaha

Saltyfan
01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
He looks great. I dont know what the guy saying he still looked overweight saw, but AJ looked to be in pretty good shape.

jmtapia
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
if they do bring him back...welcome home buddy. Looks a lot thinner.

Anyone notice JJ hitting 95 on the gun...WOW...

He looks great. I dont know what the guy saying he still looked overweight saw, but AJ looked to be in pretty good shape.

who AJ???

Saltyfan
01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
if they do bring him back...welcome home buddy. Looks a lot thinner.

Anyone notice JJ hitting 95 on the gun...WOW...

Yea, seeing JJ pitch in that video made me want Baseball even more than I already do.

BRAVE KID
01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
wow AJ looked good, looks built but definately not fat or chubby. Good to see him get serious about a comeback, good for him. b-mac looks good as well.

Bravefan29
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I am really liking where this off season is going for the Braves, yes we did not get Peavy or Furcal or Burnett, but we get Javy and now KK who seems like he will be a quality MLB starter and now it looks like we will get Lowe(obviously not in the Bag).
Now it is probable we will sign a cheaper slimmer AJ back to the Bravos to hopefully revitalize his career. I am going to be honest to me this team seems like it will compete more than people realize. I can not wait for the season.

Lady's Man
01-13-2009, 12:43 AM
im sure he still sucks

jdiddy24
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah I heard he changed his diet, and his brother did it with him...slimmed down a lot to take some stress off his knees (good call)....maybe he'll be drag bunting like Gregor this year...hahahahaha

Yea he did go on a diet with his brother... and begun heavy weight lifting about 2 months ago... maybe more homers and see him turn singles into doubles and some groundouts into hits?

jase218
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I am all for signing AJ for a minimum salary too, especially if he WANTS to be here and has clearly started on the path of recovery. Weight down - Check! Trying to swing for the fence on every pitch - yet to be determined...

One more point to bring up, and I hate to be the devil's advocate on this one b/c like I said, I would like to see AJ in a Braves uniform next year, but is anyone concerned that if we sign AJ and Dunn that we will lead the league in OF strikeouts??? This may have been brought up somewhere on this forum, but if not:

Andruw Jones: 06' - 127 K/156 gm; 07' - 138 K/154 gm; 08' - 76 K/75 gm
Adam Dunn: 06' - 194 K/160 gm; 07' - 165 K/152 gm; 08' - 164 K/158 gm
Jeff Francoeur: 06' - 132 K/162 gm; 07' - 129 K/162 gm; 08' - 111 K/155 gm

Frenchy has been improving and AJ's problem, in my opinion can be improved if not corrected, but Dunn is just what he his.

Anybody with any thoughts?

bravefan4life
01-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I agree, things appear to be maybe shifting in our favor. If we could sign Lowe, and Andruw can hit 20-25 homers. It could really look good. Would we still go after Dunn? If we did we would have Dunn, Andruw, Frenchy, Schafer, and later in the season Heyward. Would that be too much overkill. Well I guess it gives us some options if Andruw or Frenchy cant produce.

thewupk
01-13-2009, 12:56 AM
One more point to bring up, and I hate to be the devil's advocate on this one b/c like I said, I would like to see AJ in a Braves uniform next year, but is anyone concerned that if we sign AJ and Dunn that we will lead the league in OF strikeouts??? This may have been brought up somewhere on this forum, but if not:

Andruw Jones: 06' - 127 K/156 gm; 07' - 138 K/154 gm; 08' - 76 K/75 gm
Adam Dunn: 06' - 194 K/160 gm; 07' - 165 K/152 gm; 08' - 164 K/158 gm
Jeff Francoeur: 06' - 132 K/162 gm; 07' - 129 K/162 gm; 08' - 111 K/155 gm

Frenchy has been improving and AJ's problem, in my opinion can be improved if not corrected, but Dunn is just what he his.

Anybody with any thoughts?

Strikeouts will be all over the place. However our 08 outfield had 2 of the bottom 5 players that qualified in OPS (Jeff and Blanco) Adding Dunn would obviously improve that a bit. And if Druw makes a comeback then he would too.