PDA

View Full Version : Its the 1982 Draft and you have the number 1 Pick...

Chronz
06-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Your the GM of the Lakers who had the number 1 pick, Who do you draft?

Terry Cummings (Rookie of the Year)
Big Game James Worthy
Dominique Wilkens
Fat Lever (Avg 20, 9, 8 one year)

Basically its a question on whether or not the Lakers made the right choice, it has always been said when comparing James to Nique that, Nique won Scoring titles, James won Championships. But to be honest I think it wouldve been nice to see Magic lob it to Nique, and run with Kareem rather than Willis.

My secondary question is how the hell do the Lakers have the number 1 pick coming off a championship season.

DreamShaker
06-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Big Game James Worthy
Dominique Wilkens

Basically its a question on whether or not the Lakers made the right choice, it has always been said when comparing James to Nique that, Nique won Scoring titles, James won Championships. But to be honest I think it wouldve been nice to see Magic lob it to Nique, and run with Kareem rather than Willis.

My secondary question is how the hell do the Lakers have the number 1 pick coming off a championship season.

I dunno....the Celts had the number 3 pick coming off a championship in 86.....I was exactly -2 years old in 1981 so I ain't even gonna pretend to remember.....but Worthy was the right choice.....

Hellcrooner
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
They traded, with cleveland or Houston i dont remeber well, they also had MAGIC in a pick trade.

and yes it would have been fun watching Kobe +Nique, but i think it woudl have been a CHEMISTRY destroyer Line-up.

arlubas
06-14-2007, 05:12 PM
You obviously can't call Worthy the wrong choice with everything that followed. That Lakers team had talent by the bucket and even though James was a very talented player, he was also a glue guy.

Plus the Lakers had the type of player Nique was in Byron Scott (I ain't even comparing the two value wise, I'm just saying that the all crazed up athletic guy that would jump for everything was Scott on that team).

But I'd be damned if I didn't think of the idea of Magic lobbing it to Nique appealing. :D

JordansBulls
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Big Game James Worthy
Dominique Wilkens

Thought this was a good bump. You know I've wondered how the Lakers ended up with so many #1 picks myself. In 1979 they had gotten Magic and then in '82 they got Worthy.

But in all seriousness you couldn't go wrong with either 3 players of Worthy, Nique or Cummings.

ARMIN12NBA
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Two years earlier, Laker sent forward Don Ford and a 1st round pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Butch Lee and Cleveland's 1st round pick. In the pre-lottery era, a coin flip gave Lakers the #1 pick. This turn of events helped usher in a rule changed, nicknamed the "Ted Sapien Rule" after then Cav's owner. No longer can a team trade its 1st round draft pick in consecutive seasons.

The Lakers also got Magic Johnson in a trade where they traded an old Gail Goodrich for the New Orleans Jazz #1 pick, which turned out to be Magic Johnson. The Lakers won the toss of the coin between themselves and the Chicago Bulls so they got the pick.

I think it was a good choice to pick James Worthy. The guy came up HUGE in big games and is a top 50 player of all time. He also played well with Magic and knew when to let Magic do his thing and when to take over games and dominate himself. As Magic said, James Worthy would just do his job and come back the next day to do it again (paraphrasing).

Chronz
07-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Thought this was a good bump. You know I've wondered how the Lakers ended up with so many #1 picks myself. In 1979 they had gotten Magic and then in '82 they got Worthy.

But in all seriousness you couldn't go wrong with either 3 players of Worthy, Nique or Cummings.

For a minute I thought someone hacked my account but it all came back to me. And yea its funny how fate allowed the Celtics and Lakers to come about. Whats crazy is that they couldve been so much greater with all the what if scenarios.

I know the Lakers got Magic from an odd rule that stated you had to give something to the teams whos player you were taking, and if you didnt the commish (Larry O'Brien) would intervene and settle it himself. Lakers GM Cooke wanted number 1 picks in 77 and 79 with a 2nd rounder in 1980, the Lakers almost ruined that gift from god by trading 2 of their picks back to them for some PF they wanted paired with Kareem. They rejected the offer and finished last place. The rest is history...

One of the craziest story I ever heard was that the Lakers couldve and definitely shouldve signed Dr. J when the ABA was collapsing. Jerry West tried to felt as if his word held no meaning and when Kareem found out he was livid.

Chronz
07-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Two years earlier, Laker sent forward Don Ford and a 1st round pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Butch Lee and Cleveland's 1st round pick. In the pre-lottery era, a coin flip gave Lakers the #1 pick. This turn of events helped usher in a rule changed, nicknamed the "Ted Sapien Rule" after then Cav's owner. No longer can a team trade its 1st round draft pick in consecutive seasons.

The Lakers also got Magic Johnson in a trade where they traded an old Gail Goodrich for the New Orleans Jazz #1 pick, which turned out to be Magic Johnson. The Lakers won the toss of the coin between themselves and the Chicago Bulls so they got the pick.

I think it was a good choice to pick James Worthy. The guy came up HUGE in big games and is a top 50 player of all time. He also played well with Magic and knew when to let Magic do his thing and when to take over games and dominate himself. As Magic said, James Worthy would just do his job and come back the next day to do it again (paraphrasing).

Can you believe the Lakers were contemplating choosing either Magic or Sidney Moncrief

I was undecided about the subject when I first made this thread and even though Nique wasnt the most complete player he was certainly better than Worthy. Being able to play without the ball was a skill shared by both of them, the key difference was Nique could do alot more with the ball.

KB24PG16
07-21-2008, 05:13 AM
u gotta pick worthy for sure