PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce vs Scottie Pippen - Who was better and who would you rather build around?

JordansBulls
05-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Paul Pierce vs Scottie Pippen - Who was better and who would you rather build around?

I think these two are equal overall. Pippen is better on defense and Pierce is better on offense. If you were starting a franchise who would you take?

LA SeV
05-04-2007, 07:43 PM
whats with this comparison??? I dont know if Pierce has just ONE aspect of his game that is better than Pip's. Maybe offense, but i dont think i would put Pierce above Pip when it comes to offense. Pip is a top 50 player of all time. You cant compare him to guys like Paul Pierce.

Plus Pip took the Bulls (when MJ retired) to the ECF and 50+ wins.

JordansBulls
05-04-2007, 07:47 PM
whats with this comparison??? I dont know if Pierce has just ONE aspect of his game that is better than Pip's. Maybe offense, but i dont think i would put Pierce above Pip when it comes to offense. Pip is a top 50 player of all time. You cant compare him to guys like Paul Pierce.

Plus Pip took the Bulls (when MJ retired) to the ECF and 50+ wins.

Pippen took them to the Semifinals and 50+ wins and they beat the Cavs who were missing Brad Daugherty and Larry Nance in the first round.

Pierce lead a team to the ECF with Antoine Walker as his 2nd option.

Pippen is top 50 because of the rings, but Pierce on the Bulls instead of Pippen would have produced the same results IMO.

GregOden#1
05-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Pippen took them to the Semifinals and 50+ wins and they beat the Cavs who were missing Brad Daugherty and Larry Nance in the first round.

Pippen is top 50 because of the rings, but Pierce on the Bulls instead of Pippen would have produced the same results IMO.

Pippen lead them to a ghost call from the conference finals

LA SeV
05-04-2007, 07:53 PM

cmon dude...i know you would love any opportunity to make MJ look good, but Pippen would have been a top 50 player w/out playing for MJ. Pierce hasnt earned that right to be compared to legends like Pip. Thats freaking Scottie Pippen man! Cmon.

JordansBulls
05-04-2007, 08:00 PM
cmon dude...i know you would love any opportunity to make MJ look good, but Pippen would have been a top 50 player w/out playing for MJ. Pierce hasnt earned that right to be compared to legends like Pip. Thats freaking Scottie Pippen man! Cmon.

I am not so sure about that. Pippen is Top 50 now because of the title, but he didn't dominate on both ends of the court. Besides ask a Houston Rockets fan what they think of Pippen?

BTW, Pippen and Pierce are close in comparison. I am not saying Pierce is better, but who you would rather build upon?

DreamShaker
05-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Pippen without question....

Lebron23
05-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I choose Scottie Pippen on this one most of all he is a complete player compare to PAUL Pierce and he proves that he is a better teamleader when the Jordan left the Bulls after winning their 3rd Straight Championship in 1993.

Pippen without Jordan

Michael Jordan unexpectedly retired in 1993, and the 1994 season marked Pippen's stepping out from Jordan's shadow and he performed as one of the best players in the league. That year, he earned All-Star Game MVP honors. He had perhaps his best season, leading the Bulls in scoring, assists, and the entire league in steals, averaging 22.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 2.9 steals, 0.9 three-pointers, and 0.8 blocks per game, while shooting 49.1% from the field and a career-best 32% from the three-point line. For his efforts, he earned the first of three straight All-NBA First Team nods, and finished third in the MVP voting. The Bulls finished the season with 55 wins, only two less than their previous championship year with Jordan still on the team. Pippen is a great team motivator compare to PAUL Pierce whom the only aspect of the game he is better than Pippen is his Scoring but in playoffs times he failed to deliver.

http://databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=PIPPESC01

AK-47
05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
ummm, I would take the top 50 of all time player....

lakersrock
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Pippen is better overall (Offense + Defense), but I'd rather build a team around Pierce, because he is a star scorer. So, I'm gonna vote Pierce because he is a better player to build around.

Redbull
05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I would take Pippen everyday of the week and twice on Tuesday.

BoSelecta!!!
05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
kidding me? Paul is nothin compare2 Scottie!

mjt20mik
05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Pippen for sure!

ChiCitySPORTS
05-05-2007, 01:01 AM
pippen

no contest

green17
05-05-2007, 07:59 AM
i said pierce just cuz he is my boy!! but y r we comparing these 2???

tranman
05-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Pippen...with or without the rings, he's still better than pierce

dwade3ai3
05-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Paul Pierce vs Scottie Pippen - Who was better and who would you rather build around?

I think these two are equal overall. Pippen is better on defense and Pierce is better on offense. If you were starting a franchise who would you take?

You hit it right on the head. I would rather have Pierce for a franchise starter.

dwade3ai3
05-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Pippen is overhyped. He got out of the first round one time out of 5 years with loaded teams after leaving the Bulls.

I must admit though LA SeV, even though you get broke down a lot, you keep coming back for more. Glad to see you don't let it phase you.

senseiking
06-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Pippen is overhyped. He got out of the first round one time out of 5 years with loaded teams after leaving the Bulls.

I must admit though LA SeV, even though you get broke down a lot, you keep coming back for more. Glad to see you don't let it phase you.

That's what I have been saying as well.

rorrito
06-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Scottie Pippen

phungk
06-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Pierce would school Pippen 1 on 1, so I say Pierce!

dwade3ai3
08-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Pierce would school Pippen 1 on 1, so I say Pierce!

Basketball isn't a 1-1 game. Pierce is just the better player.

LAKERMANIA
08-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Pippen is a better overall player

but i dont know if i would build a team around pippen, because pierce is a better #1 option on offense..

ballinbalkman32
08-17-2007, 04:15 PM
it's gotta be pp, that dude can do it all as could pippen, but pierces intensity give him the edge by a hair, o yea he didn't have the greatest player in the history of sports either.

kgceltics
09-24-2007, 02:25 PM

:clap::clap:

Let's not forgot Pierce got his team to the Conference Finals with Antoine Walker his next best player.

theKobelover
03-20-2008, 12:00 PM
For those saying Pippen because he was a ghost call away from leading a team to the conference finals, then why not Pierce who actually got a team to the conference finals?

I think they are virtually equal. Pierce is a good #1 option and is very good as a #2 option playing with Boston now. Pierce and MJ would have had the same success as Pippen and MJ.

Tom81
03-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Scottie Pippen

Corey
03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Why'd a 6 month old thread get bumped?

JordansBulls
03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Pierce is a MVP type candidate just like Pippen was. To me the role that Pierce plays on the Celtics is kinda similar to the role Pippen played on the Bulls. Both were important to the teams success.

kingbrentg
03-20-2008, 09:25 PM

He was 33 years old when he left the Bulls.

Kgisbigticket
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Pierce without question.

Arenas>Kobe
03-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Pierce isn't much better than Pippen but he is better. MJ and Pierce win 8 titles.

TmacYao2
03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Pippen was the better player, I'd rather build my team around Pierce.
But i voted Pip.

TmacYao2
03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Pierce isn't much better than Pippen but he is better. MJ and Pierce win 8 titles.
I doubt it, Pierce is better as an A player, Pippen is better as a B player.
Jordan was an A player.

Pierce#34
03-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Pierce by far.

LakersHistory
03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Pierce in a landslide.

Genuinetrooper
06-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Paul Pierce just showed he could win as the man. Pippen could only win as a second fiddle. Pippen could never take over in the finals that is why Jordan won the mvps all the time.

Pippen is more comparable to Carmelo.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 08:32 AM
this is unreal, Pierce has proved nothing in his career other than one post season. I guesss half of you think pierce is a hall of famer but i think that is beyond Crazy. Im sorry but pippen was a much better player than Pierce.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Paul Pierce just showed he could win as the man. Pippen could only win as a second fiddle. Pippen could never take over in the finals that is why Jordan won the mvps all the time.

Pippen is more comparable to Carmelo.

There was never the opportunity for pippen to do this. Im sorry but to negate garnett and Allen in terms of pierce being the man makes no sense. Why do you think Pierce was not doubled often or was not the focus of everyones attention when the Celtics had the ball. Pierce beenfited greatly with having 2 hall of famers beside him, thats why he won the title. He didnt do it by himself by any means. Ill take Pippen anyday.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 08:37 AM
I think the biggest problem is that we have too many people posing a bias because Pierce just won the title. I bet many of the people of this board are under the age of 18 and never saw Pippen play in his prime in the early 90's. The problem with these polls is that there are too many kids who never saw these guys play, just seen highlights or what there brother or dad has told them.

JordansBulls
06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
There was never the opportunity for pippen to do this. Im sorry but to negate garnett and Allen in terms of pierce being the man makes no sense. Why do you think Pierce was not doubled often or was not the focus of everyones attention when the Celtics had the ball. Pierce beenfited greatly with having 2 hall of famers beside him, thats why he won the title. He didnt do it by himself by any means. Ill take Pippen anyday.

Umm, Pippen has the better resume for sure, but to say Pierce benefited only because of having 2 hall of famers beside him is kinda foolish don't you think? Pippen played next to one of the greatest players ever and developed beside him, don't you think that had a great part on Pippen becoming the player he was?
Pierce came into the league a star, Pippen developed into one.

kingbrentg
06-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Wow, this thread is so old.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Umm, Pippen has the better resume for sure, but to say Pierce benefited only because of having 2 hall of famers beside him is kinda foolish don't you think? Pippen played next to one of the greatest players ever and developed beside him, don't you think that had a great part on Pippen becoming the player he was?
Pierce came into the league a star, Pippen developed into one.

Hmm yeah Pierce came into the league as a star on a bad team. He has accomplished nothing before this season, yes he was the hero of this playoffs but it is only one time. Pippen skill and ability are rarely discussed, he doesnt get enough credit for what he did each night with the bulls. Pippen not only won 6 titles, he was a huge part of each win. Jordan would not have that many without him. DO you MJ's playoff record without Pippen? it was 1-10. You want to discuss value, thee it is, Before Pippen came along Jordan could not escape the first round, yes he was winning scoring titles but it wasnt until Pippen came along did the team make the next step. But Scottie Pippen's addition to the Bulls was the last piece of the puzzle for that dynasty to rise. Scottie could well be the best complimentary player of all time.

Im surprised you are fighting me on this when you are a bulls fan. I think one playoff in a career cant define who you are as player, its your entire career, and the last time I checked Pippen was a top 50 player of all time. Pierce never will have that. Too mnay people have this extreme bias because of what pierce just did. If from two years from now, the celtics have not reached the finals again, people will say its crazy to even compare pierce to Pippen. Pippen hands down.

JordansBulls
06-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Hmm yeah Pierce came into the league as a star on a bad team. He has accomplished nothing before this season, yes he was the hero of this playoffs but it is only one time. Pippen skill and ability are rarely discussed, he doesnt get enough credit for what he did each night with the bulls. Pippen not only won 6 titles, he was a huge part of each win. Jordan would not have that many without him. DO you MJ's playoff record without Pippen? it was 1-10. You want to discuss value, thee it is, Before Pippen came along Jordan could not escape the first round, yes he was winning scoring titles but it wasnt until Pippen came along did the team make the next step. But Scottie Pippen's addition to the Bulls was the last piece of the puzzle for that dynasty to rise. Scottie could well be the best complimentary player of all time.

Im surprised you are fighting me on this when you are a bulls fan. I think one playoff in a career cant define who you are as player, its your entire career, and the last time I checked Pippen was a top 50 player of all time. Pierce never will have that. Too mnay people have this extreme bias because of what pierce just did. If from two years from now, the celtics have not reached the finals again, people will say its crazy to even compare pierce to Pippen. Pippen hands down.

Yes he was 1-9 and he was playing the '86 and '87 Celtics in the process. He led a Bulls team to the playoffs his rookie year and led the team in points, rebounds, assists and steals, and was the only player ever to do so in a season and did so as a rookie.

And do people honestly forget that when Jordan made it out of the first round Pippen was a scrub who averaged 20 minutes a game that season? It's not like he had much of an impact at all on the Bulls getting to the second round. He was a role player who scored 10 points a game with 5 rebounds in those playoffs. Let's be serious. I think the people who say that know the truth, they just do it and hope no one says anything.

As for your other comment, yes Pippen played an important role.
A guy doesn't play 1-on-5. However, it's also true that on any given championship team there's a guy who's the main reason they are where they are, and everyone else contributes in their own way. But everyone's contributions are not equal. Some players make more of a contribution to the team's success than others, and there's usually one guy without whom the whole thing wouldn't be possible.

Also, Jordan owes Pippen a lot for the support he provided BUT Pippen on the other hand would never even have been an all-star much less a top-50 player without Jordan. Jordan mentored him, encouraged him, and taught many aspects of the game to Pippen. If you followed the Bulls closely throughout the Jordan Era, you would remember what a complete sissy Pippen was. He could be made completely invisible by the guys that intimidated him like Mark Aguirre, Rodman, X-Man, etc. Jordan had to stand up for him, encourage him, and build up his confidence.
Pippen grew up from that but not without aid. As far as being top 50, well by that time he had won 4 titles with MJ as a great 2nd option and player. Tell me had Pierce won 4 titles with MJ you don't think he would be a top 50 player? Let's be real here.

Look at what someone with the right mentality does for a team. Now all of sudden look how great a defender Pierce is when KG comes aboard.

Pierce was the primary reason his team won the title, Pippen never was and that is why I value what a guy does more as the best player on his team more than the 2nd best player on his team.
If I didn't I would value John Havlicek more than Larry Bird.

Edit: Pippen was great once he played on his own as the man, but the team was coming off a title as well and he was in the middle of his prime.

Again, there is a difference developing your game playing with a player that is widely considered the best to ever play and him leaving in the middle of his prime while you are now in yours and you benefiting from one another.

Example:
If a person studies to be an electrician and starts off a learner, but eventually he becomes a "journeymen" and he still works with the "master electrician" for a few years, what happens when the "master electrician" decides to move on?
Does the "journeymen" all of a sudden lose his ability to perform his duties because their is no "master electrician" around?
Or does he increase his knowledge benefiting from what was taught by the "master electrician" and being surrounded by the best in the occupation and applying what he learned to himself?

If he doesn't then it means the "master electrician" either wasn't a good teacher or he didnt know how to utilize his talents and assets well and/or that the "journeymen" didn't take to heart the dedication to put into learning the trade.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Also, Jordan owes Pippen a lot for the support he provided BUT Pippen on the other hand would never even have been an all-star much less a top-50 player without Jordan. Jordan mentored him, encouraged him, and taught many aspects of the game TO PIPPEN .

Its the same for Pierce, Pierce would not never of won a title had it been not for Garnett and Allen. Garnett allowed Pierce to have the pressure taken off him, teams spent too much time following around Garnett and not pierce which allowed him to do what he did in the playoffs. Come off screens with ease and never be challenged with double teams. It was not untill Pierce had a Pippen type role that he was able to win a title.

If you followed the Bulls closely throughout the Jordan Era, you would remember what a complete sissy Pippen was. He could be made completely invisible by the guys that intimidated him like Mark Aguirre, Rodman, X-Man, etc. Jordan had to stand up for him, encourage him, and build up his confidence.

Pippen was anything but a sissy. I remmeber a player that had a me first approach sometimes but he was anything but soft, he didnt let guys ever push him around. Pippen like Pierce, yes had to be ecnouraged by better players in the case of Garnett and Jordan.

Pippen grew up from that but not without aid. As far as being top 50, well by that time he had won 4 titles with MJ as a great 2nd option and player. Tell me had Pierce won 4 titles with MJ you don't think he would be a top 50 player? Let's be real here.

Im sorry its not what if, its facts and history. How many titles has Pierce won? anyone can play the what if game, it has no basis for what we are discussing because in your logic and arguiing you are basing the fact of pierce being better than pippen on complete hypothetical circumstances.

Look at what someone with the right mentality does for a team. Now all of sudden look how great a defender Pierce is when KG comes aboard.
Pierce was the primary reason his team won the title, Pippen never was and that is why I value what a guy does more as the best player on his team more than the 2nd best player on his team.
If I didn't I would value John Havlicek more than Larry Bird.

Pierce is not the primary reason why they won the title, it was because of Garnett, Why do you think Garnett was in contention all year for the mvp award and not pierce? Garnette was the glue that held the team together, he is the one that preached a team concept and defense. Not pierce. Pierce has to win more thance once to be considered a hall of famer or for that matter better than Pippen. So you are arguing than that Pierce is more important to the celtics than Garnett? if that is the case than I just cant see your logic.
I have always felt bad for pippen because he never got his due, too many bulls fan overlooked what he really brought to the team and what he brought in terms of winning and helping Jordan win 6 titles.

hey its a very close deabte it seems but Im most surprised that you are so for pierce and not pippen because you obviously saw what pippen was able to do with the bulls. I just have to say this one more time, have this debate in two years time, either the celtcis get back to championship round or they dont. If the celtics dont ever make it back, it will be a one year wonder for pierce and in that case its all but a gurantee you are not a hall of famer. Your taking advantage of the fact that Pierce and the celtics just won with this poll. Of course all the children and teens on this board will say Pierce because they never saw Pippen play except in highlights on youtube. The celtics just won, it doesnt surprise me that Pierce will probably win the poll but i dont think its a fair situation.

JordansBulls
06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Its the same for Pierce, Pierce would not never of won a title had it been not for Garnett and Allen. Garnett allowed Pierce to have the pressure taken off him, teams spent too much time following around Garnett and not pierce which allowed him to do what he did in the playoffs. Come off screens with ease and never be challenged with double teams. It was not untill Pierce had a Pippen type role that he was able to win a title.

Point taken, but he did win as the best player on the floor, he took home finals MVP and outplayed the league mvp.
Garnett allowed the pressure to be taken off of him, but would Pippen be able to step up like that and be the man and lead to a title?

Pippen was anything but a sissy. I remmeber a player that had a me first approach sometimes but he was anything but soft, he didnt let guys ever push him around. Pippen like Pierce, yes had to be ecnouraged by better players in the case of Garnett and Jordan.

Then you need to go back and watch some games buddy. The migraine headache incident, the Bill Laimbeer in his face. The Rodman throwing him down. X-man in his face all the time beating up on Pippen. Then you had other incidents where Pippen sat out the final 1.8 seconds of a game because the shot wasn't designed for him and it was for Kukoc. I think that incident in itself is why I didn't have bias for Pippen.

Im sorry its not what if, its facts and history. How many titles has Pierce won? anyone can play the what if game, it has no basis for what we are discussing because in your logic and arguiing you are basing the fact of pierce being better than pippen on complete hypothetical circumstances.

True, it is not about whatifs, but the point is that Pierce won as the best player on the floor and took home finals mvp and Pippen never did so even though he provided a lot of support to the team.

Pierce is not the primary reason why they won the title, it was because of Garnett, Why do you think Garnett was in contention all year for the mvp award and not pierce? Garnette was the glue that held the team together, he is the one that preached a team concept and defense. Not pierce. Pierce has to win more thance once to be considered a hall of famer or for that matter better than Pippen. So you are arguing than that Pierce is more important to the celtics than Garnett? if that is the case than I just cant see your logic.
I have always felt bad for pippen because he never got his due, too many bulls fan overlooked what he really brought to the team and what he brought in terms of winning and helping Jordan win 6 titles.

Not for the season, but for the finals he was. As a whole in the playoffs Pierce and Garnett were basically equal. Garnett turned the team around, but it was Pierce that stepped up when it mattered. Just like Shaq and Wade were roughly equal in the season in 2006 and for most of the playoffs thye were as well, however Wade stepped it up when it mattered and that takes precedence over anything else.

The greatness of a player is determined by what they do when it matters most.

Edit: I'm not going to sit here and say guys like Tony Parker or Billups are better than Pippen just because of the finals mvp. They won it because their team won the title, but neither of them had any outstanding games or did anything in particular to show themselves elevating their games.

Pierce did so in the finals, Wade did so in the finals. That is what is most important.

Mile High Champ
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey its fine, we clearly disagree on what pippen meant to bulls and what I think Pierce's leagacy is with the celtics. I know Pierce is a great player, i respect his game and his intensity but I just saw more from Pippen (yes he whined a lot) in his career. Plus those 6 titles and averaging 18 ppg for his career lead me to believe he is better than pierce. I think when a player's are as close as they are in skill level as pierce and Pippen are, it comes down to the rings and Pippen just happens to have 5 more than Pierce. But hey good talking with you about this, its a great debate.

I just wish i could get other people's perspective on the debate, people who actually saw pippen play and were not having their diaper changed as a baby when he was lifting his third nba title... I want to chat with more of the people who experienced the glory and achievements of both players, not through youtube and highlights. You have some great points and I respect you as a poster and a sports fan.

Cheers :cheers:

JordansBulls
06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey its fine, we clearly disagree on what pippen meant to bulls and what I think Pierce's leagacy is with the celtics. I know Pierce is a great player, i respect his game and his intensity but I just saw more from Pippen (yes he whined a lot) in his career. Plus those 6 titles and averaging 18 ppg for his career lead me to believe he is better than pierce. I think when a player's are as close as they are in skill level as pierce and Pippen are, it comes down to the rings and Pippen just happens to have 5 more than Pierce. But hey good talking with you about this, its a great debate.

I just wish i could get other people's perspective on the debate, people who actually saw pippen play and were not having their diaper changed as a baby when he was lifting his third nba title... I want to chat with more of the people who experienced the glory and achievements of both players, not through youtube and highlights. You have some great points and I respect you as a poster and a sports fan.

Cheers :cheers:

I hear ya man, it was a good debate. I to believe that Pierce and Pippen are close in ability and talent, in fact I think they are interchangeable. The difference between them is minimal. I think now Pierce will be a hall of fame player now that he has a ring and a finals mvp. They are even saying his jersey will be retired in Boston. If you get your jersey retired in Boston you had to be a great player and hall of famer.

Kodos

:cheers:

bagwell368
06-27-2008, 07:03 PM
ummm, I would take the top 50 of all time player....

As of today Pippen is #23 in win shares, and Pierce is #70, which seems to reflect reality. Three more years like this year and he's in a tie w/ Pippen. Let's wait and see.

Vidball
06-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Pippen...not even close.

innovator
06-28-2008, 06:15 AM
pippen... but we will forever remember pippen as jordans sidekick
but if pippen was the star of his own team then he will known as one of the leagues best players

Vidball
06-28-2008, 12:45 PM
10 All-Defensive teams (8 1st times on the first team--Pierce hasn't even done that once), 16 straight years of playoffs, top 50 ever, over 50 wins with a team of scrubs, 2 Gold medals, 6 rings, fourth All-time in steals (2,307), tied for 16th in steals per game (1.96), 23rd in assists (6,135), etc, etc. All while Pierce hasn't ever made an All-NBA 1st OR 2nd team...he's never even been considered a top 4 forward in the league. Pippen was getting 1st team honors in a league with Barkley and Malone. He was one of the best perimeter defenders of all-time!

op12
06-28-2008, 12:51 PM
pippen couldnt take a stacked portland team to the title as the go 2 guy. he wass a great player, but could not put a team on his back like pierce has, even before this year.

JordansBulls
06-28-2008, 12:55 PM
10 All-Defensive teams (8 1st times on the first team--Pierce hasn't even done that once), 16 straight years of playoffs, top 50 ever, over 50 wins with a team of scrubs, 2 Gold medals, 6 rings, fourth All-time in steals (2,307), tied for 16th in steals per game (1.96), 23rd in assists (6,135), etc, etc. All while Pierce hasn't ever made an All-NBA 1st OR 2nd team...he's never even been considered a top 4 forward in the league. Pippen was getting 1st team honors in a league with Barkley and Malone. He was one of the best perimeter defenders of all-time!

I agree that Pippen has the far better resume, but remember Pierce did win as the man on his team and took home finals mvp over the guy many call the best in the league and literally outplayed him for the most part.
I think it just depends on what you value more.
I don't like to play the whatif games but I am thinking in terms of if Pierce and MJ were together they would have had the same amount of success seeing how in only one years time Pierce's whole philosophy has changed.

JordansBulls
06-28-2008, 12:56 PM
pippen couldnt take a stacked portland team to the title as the go 2 guy. he wass a great player, but could not put a team on his back like pierce has, even before this year.

He wasn't the best player on that team. It was Rasheed Wallace at the time, so it was really Rasheed's team.

Also in 1999 he was with Hakeem and Barkley and they lost in the 1st round, but then again it was Hakeem's team as well.

Chi-Town Finest
06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Pip without a doubt!!!

Vidball
06-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree that Pippen has the far better resume, but remember Pierce did win as the man on his team and took home finals mvp over the guy many call the best in the league and literally outplayed him for the most part.
I think it just depends on what you value more.
I don't like to play the whatif games but I am thinking in terms of if Pierce and MJ were together they would have had the same amount of success seeing how in only one years time Pierce's whole philosophy has changed.

It's not a better resume, its a better career. That was Pippens career. How can you dispute him being on the All-Defensive team for a decade straight while Pierce never made it once. Or Pierce never being selected on an All-NBA 1st or 2nd team--not even being considered a top 4 forward at any point of his career.

And if you are basing everything off of one season because of a Finals MVP (which is what you must be doing...no other argument would in Pierce's favor would make any sense at all), then you must think Billups was a better PG than Kidd, Payton or the great John Stockton...all 3 had better careers than Billups, better "resumes" as you would say, but only Billups has a Finals MVP or even a ring for that matter and Billups got it going up against 4 future HOF'ers including who many considered the two best players in the game at the time.

Vidball
06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
No offense intended JordanBulls...I just feel like this is a no-brainer.

Ragun
06-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Id take Pippen.

_Sn1P3r_
06-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Gotta go with Pippen.

Mile High Champ
07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
It's not a better resume, its a better career. That was Pippens career. How can you dispute him being on the All-Defensive team for a decade straight while Pierce never made it once. Or Pierce never being selected on an All-NBA 1st or 2nd team--not even being considered a top 4 forward at any point of his career.

And if you are basing everything off of one season because of a Finals MVP (which is what you must be doing...no other argument would in Pierce's favor would make any sense at all), then you must think Billups was a better PG than Kidd, Payton or the great John Stockton...all 3 had better careers than Billups, better "resumes" as you would say, but only Billups has a Finals MVP or even a ring for that matter and Billups got it going up against 4 future HOF'ers including who many considered the two best players in the game at the time.

Well said, you make some excellent points. It is clear that pippen was the better player.m Looks like he is starting to pull away.

sanfranfan1210
07-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Pippen

dre1990
07-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Pippen. Better all around player

JordansBulls
07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
This thread is 3 years old.