Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ludwick and Hawpe need to go!

I know we are only 11 games in to this season, but a very disturbing trend is starting to develop, the Padres 4 and 5 hitters are hitting .138 (Hawpe) and .114 (Ludwick) respectively. With Adrian gone, these two needed to produce and have done squat. The Padres owe nothing to these two and they need to be on a short leash. Ludwick is making only 6 million and Hawpe 2 million for one year, so its not their contracts that is keeping them here. By the way, Forbes said the Padres made 30 million last year, so you really had to trade Adrian... uh?!? They are not providing leadership, so what is their value to this team? Nothing. With plenty of options at 1B (Cantu, Blanks when healthy, Guzman, Baxter, Rizzo) and OF ( Patterson, Hunter, Durango, Cunningham, Denorfia), lets give these two pink slips. What do you have to lose, ANYBODY can hit .138 or .114 so there is no reason to not give people in the minors their chance to prove themselves.

vCash
    In the case of Hawpe, you get what you pay for. I was really hoping Ludwick could turn it around this year, but with no protection ANYWHERE in the lineup that guy is lost.
    Last edited by Diesel44; 04-15-2011 at 05:59 PM.

vCash
    It's way too early to start jumping to conclusions. Ludwick never has been a great hitter other than 1 season back in 08. Hawpe had 4 consecutive solid seasons up until last year, he will likely come around.

vCash
    Im also frustrated about this. But, it's a long season and it's still too early to make any changes. Let's wait and see if they start coming around.

vCash
    Yes it is a long season but 12 games in and the Padres are already 5 games back. I'm just frustrated with the fact the Padres continue to fill holes with guys trying to hold on to their career instead of giving some of the young guys a chance. Patterson OF, Cunningham OF, Guzman 1B, and Rizzo 1B all had a better spring than Ludwick and Hawpe. Like some of you said before, these guys WERE good at one point, just not now. There is something clearly missing from the team and you can tell no one is having fun. I know losing is never fun but they are not even talking to each other, there is no team chemistry. Remember last year when someone would get on base and would give the bench an air high five. What happen to that? What happen to supporting each other? I just think the padres could use some energy in the form of young talent getting there chance to break into the big leagues instead of guys who have clearly lost all confidence in their hitting ability. Its sad when you watch the game on tv and Mark Grant and Dick Enberg can correctly guess the next pitch when the Padres hitters clearly have no idea whats going on.

PS- Randy Ready will you please teach the Padres how to recognize a slider in the dirt!!

vCash
    This is a continuation of last year, that's why I worry.

vCash
    Cant wait for Blanks to get healthy- focused and Anthony Rizzo to develop,

really think those two could form a really good 3-4 lefty righty middle of the order.

vCash
    I was at the home opener for home opener for the Tucson Padres on Friday night and both Rizzo and Cunningham looked pretty good. I love Triple A baseball, my seats were 4 rows up directly behind home plate for $10.50 each!

vCash
    I just looked up Rizzo's stats so far:

.378 AVG 3 HR 16 RBI .429 OBP .689 SLG in 45 AB

Let Cantu play first, call up Rizzo to be the backup. Let him get some major league experience now so he will be ready to take over the position next year. Like what the Giants did with Posey last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post

Let Cantu play first, call up Rizzo to be the backup. Let him get some major league experience now so he will be ready to take over the position next year. Like what the Giants did with Posey last year.
    I'm pretty sure Rizzo won't be here in Tucson much longer. He has looked like the player most ready to step up to the majors in the few games I've seen so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post

No chance. You don't call up a top prospect who you are trying to develope to be a BACKUP. I agree something needs to be done at first base, and if Rizzo keeps up the tear he's on in AAA i think he is the answer. but if we call him up, you call him up to be the starter and get consistent at bats.... not to be a backup and spot start.

vCash
    I know you don't want a top prospect to be a backup but if he is as good as everyone says he is, then he won't be a backup for long. After all the Padres combined 1B are hitting under .200. Back up wasn't the right word to use, how about platoon at first base. Rizzo v. Righties, Cantu v. Lefties. Either way let him play, he knows how to hit so let him face elite pitchers now, and AAA pitchers are not elite.

To bad Ludwick can't play every game at wrigley field. Great game yesterday, keep it going.

vCash
    I say call up the farm! Rizzo, Jaff Decker, and Logan Forsythe should all be brought up and inserted into the lineup. They can't hit any worse than whose in there right now.

vCash
    And if not Rizzo, at least call up Blanks

vCash
    And maybe not Forsythe haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast