Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    How do you explain the Bucs and Lightning attendance numbers relative to their leagues then?
    He canít. He just loves complaining about the Rays.

The Bucs were at the bottom of the list in attendance but ahead of the Redskins and Titans. And had fewer more empty seats than the Rays relative to the size of the stadium. The Rays average what something like 12000 people? The Tampa Bay Lightening were 6th best in the NHL.
    Jeffy25 . You said a few back to give them a chance. They've been around a long time. The attendance is steadily going down every year for the last 10 years. The place is build for baseball. 34000 seats. Yet they only get half. If not for the Marlins averaging under 10000 a game the rays would be the bottom feeders. Two Florida teams can't even average what Baltimore averages. Its time to move the rays out of Florida.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Tampa is a sports town, much more passionate than most cities. It's just that it's a college football town, which is easily the most popular in-stadium sport in America (probably the world, even the biggest soccer matches don't typically draw as many fans as big-time college football, with all the caveats about season length).

That said, Rays TV viewership has always been very good - better than like half the NBA teams or more. I don't live in the area but have been there a lot and a better located + nicer stadium would do wonders I would think. Traffic's bad but that's the same story in many US cities with good attendance for winning teams - Houston, LA, Atlanta, DC, etc.
    living in Tampa, this statement is false. Tampa is not a "sports" town, especially with me coming from the Boston area. Yes Tampa is more of a college town then a pro sports town but its more of a casual sports town then a real sports town. The die hards, people that like to talk sports are few and far between. More alumni that support their college football then anything

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Good point, they're big on the Lightning in Tampa. Not being a real hockey I can't say why exactly that is but I know they've had some success. I also know their stadium is very accessible compared to the St Pete Trop.

Bucs I think lucked out with their magical team that had Derrick Brooks (the GOAT at his position and in the convo for GOAT defensive player in NFL) and Warren Sapp that were both college stars in Florida. Plus their stadium is way nicer than Jacksonville's, for instance, which is who people usually point out for pro football in Florida - ignoring the Dolphins's steady fanbase in spite of complete ineptitude since Marino retired.
    The #1 team in Tampa is the lightning and it caught me by surprise. I would have thought it would have been the Bucs but the Lightning are supported everywhere. You will see wayyyyy more Lightning flags on the side of buildings then you would see Bucs flags.

The owner of the lighting invested big in the downtown/channel side area. He basically owns the entire channel side area of Tampa. He does a good job of giving back and investing in the community and Tampa has repaid him. There is 0 doubt Tampa is a hockey town (surprisingly) I was blown away. I was a Bruins fans but because of how the city responds and being around in that environment (ive been to a few games and attended the Stanley cup vs the blackhawks outside the stadium across the street for a viewing party in a park) I have turned to like the Lightning a little more than the Bruins.

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    The Bucs were at the bottom of the list in attendance but ahead of the Redskins and Titans. And had fewer more empty seats than the Rays relative to the size of the stadium. The Rays average what something like 12000 people? The Tampa Bay Lightening were 6th best in the NHL.
    Jeffy25 . You said a few back to give them a chance. They've been around a long time. The attendance is steadily going down every year for the last 10 years. The place is build for baseball. 34000 seats. Yet they only get half. If not for the Marlins averaging under 10000 a game the rays would be the bottom feeders. Two Florida teams can't even average what Baltimore averages. Its time to move the rays out of Florida.
    The Bucs have been awful for about a decade, when they were competitive, they were consistently around league average.

Give them a chance.............IN TAMPA!
    Playing in Ste Pete isn't a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    living in Tampa, this statement is false. Tampa is not a "sports" town, especially with me coming from the Boston area. Yes Tampa is more of a college town then a pro sports town but its more of a casual sports town then a real sports town. The die hards, people that like to talk sports are few and far between. More alumni that support their college football then anything
    I used to live in central Florida and my statement is true. If you don't follow college football I can understand you thinking it's a 'casual sports town' but there is nothing casual about college football in basically all of Florida. From Florida through Georgia (Atlanta has similar problems when it comes to its pro franchises, though much less so) to the Carolinas it's all college football, all year-round, all the time. High school football is pretty big in most of Georgia as well.

Sports in most of Florida go college football, then either Nascar or golf, then probably baseball - with heavy interest in high school football. The rest of the pro and college sports come after in some order. The Lightning's dedicated fanbase in Tampa is nice but it's very localized to Tampa. The Rays on the other hand consistently do well in TV ratings across Florida - it came up in another thread but they actually have similar average TV ratings that the Chicago Bulls do.
    Last edited by flea; 07-14-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123