Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The old HOF guard is gradually working its way out. The newer (or same, more informed) voters would not put Markakis in even with 3K.

Agreed (barring a miraculous late career renaissance).

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

You look at all the guys in the HOF that have 3000 hits, it's not because of their 3000 hits that has them in the HOF.

You have some of the best players ever that just so happen to have 3000+ hits.

If he stays on his career arc and get's to 3000 hits, he'll finish roughly with 90 SBs, 250 HRs, .785 OPS, 111 OPS+.

You either had guys with 3000+ hits and like 400+ HRs or 3000+ hits and 250+ SBs.

You have some odd cases in there but they were also from over 100 years ago.

If Markakis makes it in because of 3000+ hits, it'll definitely be seen as one of the weakest HOFers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    You look at all the guys in the HOF that have 3000 hits, it's not because of their 3000 hits that has them in the HOF.

You have some of the best players ever that just so happen to have 3000+ hits.

If he stays on his career arc and get's to 3000 hits, he'll finish roughly with 90 SBs, 250 HRs, .785 OPS, 111 OPS+.

You either had guys with 3000+ hits and like 400+ HRs or 3000+ hits and 250+ SBs.

You have some odd cases in there but they were also from over 100 years ago.

If Markakis makes it in because of 3000+ hits, it'll definitely be seen as one of the weakest HOFers.
    Agreed.

I don't think he'll reach 3K. But even if he does, he's an easy no. Just like Johnny Damon and others that compiled forever.

He has one season in his career over a 5.0 rWAR (or all-star caliber). He has half the career rWAR you'd need to be considered borderline.

A 111 OPS+ would be one of the weaker all-time Hall of Famers, especially from a corner, offensive position.

If Johnny Damon is an easy no, then so is Nick Markakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I don't think he'll reach 3K. But even if he does, he's an easy no. Just like Johnny Damon and others that compiled forever.

He has one season in his career over a 5.0 rWAR (or all-star caliber). He has half the career rWAR you'd need to be considered borderline.

A 111 OPS+ would be one of the weaker all-time Hall of Famers, especially from a corner, offensive position.

If Johnny Damon is an easy no, then so is Nick Markakis.
    Markakis is basically a lesser version of Damon. I think Damon is in the hall of very good so not an easy no for me but he's still a no.

Even if he does reach 3K he shouldn't get in. It's just crazy for people to think that if he reaches 3K he has a shot when if he'd finish with 2999 he'd have absolutely 0 shot. 1 hit isn't going to make him all of a sudden HOF worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I do wonder if voters feel the same way about the 3,000 hit plateau they do about the 300 win mark. In an era where offensive play is so tied to the home run, I doubt you see that many guys get to 3,000 hits anymore. Yeah you someone like Trout who is on pace to do it but its becoming more and more of an endangered feat.

Maybe that sways the voters in letting Markakis in if he gets there. I don't see it but there are still benchmarks that matter in baseball and 3,000 hits has always been one of those. I mean all the guys who have gotten to 3,000 hits will be (when HOF eligible) or are already in the HOF with the exception of Palmeiro and Pete Rose.

Not sure I'd be able to take the Hall of Fame seriously if he gets in. He has been and is a very productive player throughout his career who has stayed healthy but is no way a Hall of Famer with 3000 hits. I know there have been other weak HOF players/pitchers that have gotten in but we have so much information now and a lot of the old school voters are going to be retiring.

Nah, Hall of Very Good unless he has some remarkable late 30s run. Johnny Damon is a good comparison even if they aren't really similar players (Markakis's 5 tool early career promise notwithstanding). Both guys give great ABs, which seems to be devalued somewhat by SABR fans. Damon's work up the middle and on bases makes it closer but Markakis is clearly the better hitter and probably the better late-career defender.

Brett Gardner is another current corner OFer I'd love to have on my team but whose numbers won't blow you away and who probably won't even be Hall of Very Good, but will be loved forever by Yankees fans.

If his name is even mentioned with the words, "Hall Of Fame" then the HOF is officially a joke. They've been getting pretty lax the last several years and because of that, it's lost a lot of it's glory IMO. It's become the hall of very good.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If his name is even mentioned with the words, "Hall Of Fame" then the HOF is officially a joke. They've been getting pretty lax the last several years and because of that, it's lost a lot of it's glory IMO. It's become the hall of very good.
    Actually I think its become harder to get in the HOF now with all these advanced metrics and the older guard being pushed out of voting. The older writers had their last gasps with guys like Bill Mazerowski but these new writers wouldn't let those type of players in.

The faceplam that would hit my forehead if Markakis makes the HoF would likely kill me so I hope not. But to be honest who cares? Hall is a joke now anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    The faceplam that would hit my forehead if Markakis makes the HoF would likely kill me so I hope not. But to be honest who cares? Hall is a joke now anyways.
    This is true.

Adrian Beltre was far away from being a Hall of Famer after his first 12 seasons in the big leagues. But look what happened since then.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Adrian Beltre was far away from being a Hall of Famer after his first 12 seasons in the big leagues. But look what happened since then.

Well yeah, he played really really well since then lol. 50 rWAR since then.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast