Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

If Nick Markakis gets 3,000 hits...

Does he make the Hall Of Fame ?

or a better question

Will the voters vote Nick in the Hall of Fame for reaching 3,000 hits?

First Sim League Title!

He shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Markakis has 113 hits thus far into 2018. He's played in 89 games which is every game (not sure about starting as I'm sure he has pinch at bats).

He's average 1.2 hits per game. If he played in the remaining 73 games at the 1.2 rate he'll finish about 201 hits on the season.

That leaves 747 hits towards 3,000.

If he played 4 more years he'd have to average 187 hits a season to reach 3,000.

That's 5 more hits a year than his current 162 game average of 182 per year. That's not taking into consideration decline for players over the age of 34.

I just can't see him getting to 3,000.
    Last edited by DodgerBlue8188; 07-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.

He could do it but in all likelihood he'd need to play (at least somewhat effectively) into his early 40's. Even if he did, can't see him getting in. In addition to never having been an All-Star until his age 34 season, he's never garnered a single MVP vote in his career - which I think speaks to both his consistency and non-dominance.

I think he winds up with your Konerkos and your Buckners in the Hall Of Very Good For Very Long.

That's an easy no from me.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

i ask this because 3k hits was a precursor to being a sure fire HOFer

the only ones who have 3000 hits not in the HOF wont get in because they are either active or off the field troubles

Pete Rose (gambling)
    Derek Jeter (hasnt been up for nomination yet but a shoe in HOFer)
    A-Rod (hasnt been up for nomination yet but has PED's attached to him)
    Adrian Beltre (still active)
    Ichiro (was active this season)
    Albert Pujols (still active)
    Rafael Palmeiro (PEDs)

Nick would be the first 3000 hit member not to make it in the HOF that doesnt have some thing attached to him

First Sim League Title!

Of course he would be in the HOF. He should go to the AL and be a DH eventually, as what Paul Molitor did.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

If he gets to 3,000 I think he gets in, but I don't think he will get that many hits. He's definitely not a HOF, but the voters like those magic numbers. He has been a good player his career, but not elite, and has been fortunate to be healthy his entire career which has enabled him to pile up hits.

If he gets 85 more hits this year he will have 2,250 leaving him 750 short. Which would be 150 a year for 5 years. He would be 39 in that fifth year. Not impossible, but I don't see him being a productive player or to not have injuries that entire time. My guess is he ends up with around 2,600-2,700 which puts him in the Buckner, Grace, Damon career which is about what he is.

If players like Bill Buckner, Harold Baines, or Johnny Damon somehow got to 3000 hits, they would be in right now. Everybody knows that 3000 is an automatic number for non-cheating and non-banned ballplayers.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 07-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

3000 is definitely the magic number to get in. I could see him not though because he’s had many All-Star snubs and I could see him being “snubbed” from the HOF too. He does have a couple GG’s to his credit. His range is limited but he doesn’t make errors. I’d like to see him get in if he gets 3k but I’m biased.

It'd absolutely not be a "snub" for him to not be elected to the HOF regardless of whether he gets to 3,000 or not.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    It'd absolutely not be a "snub" for him to not be elected to the HOF regardless of whether he gets to 3,000 or not.
    +1

He’s been a very good player for a long time. Not even close to a hall of fame player imo

Lou Brock wasn't that great either and he's in because of 3000.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Hence the quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Lou Brock wasn't that great either and he's in because of 3000.
    He also retired like 40 years ago and had a million stolen bases.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast