Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I don’t get the obsession with state tax rates. The two best players in the league have left their respective teams in the past 5 years, and both went to the state with the worst tax laws for someone in their income bracket.

There really doesn’t seem to be mich evidence that players actually go to places with more favorable tax laws. If anything, it actually seems to be the opposite.
    agreed. There are a lot of ex-players in Texas and Florida for example, because your money goes way further, but in their playing days, I don't think it matters much. Plus, NBA players make so much money now its insane. Taxes barely factor. I know a dollar is a dollar, but if you ONLY get to keep $15 million per year of your $26 million per year salary in California, boo ****ing hoo.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I’m all for changing the playoffs to 1-16. Doesn’t really change a ton in who gets in, but should make for more compelling late series. This year we got 2 pretty good conference finals, but an awful finals. 1-16 should almost guarantee a decent finals at least, and most likely some decent conference finals. And it may make teams jockeying for position late in the season a little more interesting as well. Instead of fighting for 1 or 2 spots, you theoretically could see teams with potential to jump 4 or more spots late in the season.

And I hate the NBAs financial system. But at the end of the day, is the best solution just to wait out golden state? I mean, they hit the lottery on two specific things that partially allowed them to be great. I don’t mean to disparage them as a team. They did draft incredibly well.

But they ended up being fortunate that Curry was a late bloomer due to injuries. If curry stays healthy and breaks out early in his career, his 2nd contract wouldn’t have been as much of a bargain, meaning less money for Durant. And they got Durant in an offseason where a crazy cap jump freed up a bunch of cash. It was the perfect storm for them to create a super team. The likelihood of that situation happening again is pretty slim. If you were to take GS completely out of the equation, you are looking at a little more balanced league.
    GS is the ultimate outlier. I hate them because of it. That is just it, why even bother unless you already have stars in place? Nobody is catching them right now, may as well wait it out.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Or when teams can't spend as much it means there are more players to move to teams with the space.
    Top players will always figure out a way to team up in one location what your suggesting won't even out the field with elite talents yes it might spread out mid to low tier players like Lavine but those guys don't move the needle much.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    Top players will always figure out a way to team up in one location what your suggesting won't even out the field with elite talents yes it might spread out mid to low tier players like Lavine but those guys don't move the needle much.

unless top players are willing to sacrifice a lot of money, no, they wouldn't be able to load up on one team if there is a hard cap. With the way warfelg is building it, they would have to leave a lot of money on the table regardless.

Will you avoid oddities, like a team that drafts perfect and randomly has cap space pop up before they pay their 2-3 guys? maybe. But it would curtail the superteams pretty well overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    agreed. There are a lot of ex-players in Texas and Florida for example, because your money goes way further, but in their playing days, I don't think it matters much. Plus, NBA players make so much money now its insane. Taxes barely factor. I know a dollar is a dollar, but if you ONLY get to keep $15 million per year of your $26 million per year salary in California, boo ****ing hoo.
    It might not matter to the higher tier players who have different priorities but to someone who makes around $10 million and knows they won't be able to win a championship, it likely makes a big difference for them. 450+ players in the NBA. Not everyone wants to win and some are likely just trying to make as much money before they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    It might not matter to the higher tier players who have different priorities but to someone who makes around $10 million and knows they won't be able to win a championship, it likely makes a big difference for them. 450+ players in the NBA. Not everyone wants to win and some are likely just trying to make as much money before they retire.
    sure, and they would slide in just fine. It forces management to be more fiscally responsible, and not allow teams to build superteams as easily is all. There are always ways around a system that doesn't have a hard cap.

unless top players are willing to sacrifice a lot of money, no, they wouldn't be able to load up on one team if there is a hard cap. With the way warfelg is building it, they would have to leave a lot of money on the table regardless.

Will you avoid oddities, like a team that drafts perfect and randomly has cap space pop up before they pay their 2-3 guys? maybe. But it would curtail the superteams pretty well overall.
    You don't think the team losing their top player will trade him where he wants to go like Cavs did with LeBron first time? Also how are teams going to compete with the warriors if you have hard cap?

You don't think the team losing their top player will trade him where he wants to go like Cavs did with LeBron first time? Also how are teams going to compete with the warriors if you have hard cap?

teams can't compete with the Warriors now....

a Hard Cap would be difficult, because of contracts already in place. So it would take very creative work on the NBA's part, and they would need to get the players association to agree. Good luck...

a system that takes away the ability to add various contracts entirely if you are in the tax tiers would help, as would giving teams and players major financial advantages to keeping players. But at the end of the day, if a player is willing to play for $15 million versus $30 million just so he can team up with his buddies or go to a certain city, there isn't anything you can do about it. All of this is just about leveling the playing field more. That is all.

GS is the ultimate outlier. I hate them because of it. That is just it, why even bother unless you already have stars in place? Nobody is catching them right now, may as well wait it out.
    Houston was a healthy CP away from catching them last season so I wouldn’t say no one is catching them. GS didn’t look great in the playoffs. Odds are, yes, they will win it but it’s not like they look unbeatable.

Because the same cap would apply to the Warriors
    They're 40mil over the current cap- 2nd only to the about to drop lower Thunder (once Melo is gone)
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

teams can't compete with the Warriors now....

a Hard Cap would be difficult, because of contracts already in place. So it would take very creative work on the NBA's part, and they would need to get the players association to agree. Good luck...

a system that takes away the ability to add various contracts entirely if you are in the tax tiers would help, as would giving teams and players major financial advantages to keeping players. But at the end of the day, if a player is willing to play for $15 million versus $30 million just so he can team up with his buddies or go to a certain city, there isn't anything you can do about it. All of this is just about leveling the playing field more. That is all.
    Any implementation of a hard cap would likely take 5 years, to let all current contracts run out. In 5 years your team must be under the cap or you forfeit games until you are.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Houston was a healthy CP away from catching them last season so I wouldn’t say no one is catching them. GS didn’t look great in the playoffs. Odds are, yes, they will win it but it’s not like they look unbeatable.
    any team CP3 plays for is a healthy CP3 away from winning though. GS didn't even play well, they still won. Then smashed Cleveland. GS got better. Houston didn't. Years from now, we will all understand how truly great this GS team really is. Like they didn't even try and still beat Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Any implementation of a hard cap would likely take 5 years, to let all current contracts run out. In 5 years your team must be under the cap or you forfeit games until you are.
    I know it. With how much money the league is making right now, they aren't about to go into a standoff over a hard cap with the players, which is likely what would happen anyways. A hard cap is a pipe dream, but this brother wants to hit that pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Because the same cap would apply to the Warriors
    They're 40mil over the current cap- 2nd only to the about to drop lower Thunder (once Melo is gone)
    yep. A team that wanted LeBron could give him half their cap. Superstars would only be 1-2 at most per team. It would just create so much more parity, unless a star or more took massively less to play with a stacked roster.

yep. A team that wanted LeBron could give him half their cap. Superstars would only be 1-2 at most per team. It would just create so much more parity, unless a star or more took massively less to play with a stacked roster.
    Super teams are far more entertaining than parity. No one wants to watch teams with one star anymore, I certainly don't, and I hated heats big 3, and hate GS, b watching teams become super teams and playing no other super teams is far more exciting than watching Chris Bosh on the Toronto Raptors with no other stars on his team.

You think teams Losing half their cap on one star is a good thing ? Teams blow 30 % of their cap on the wrong guy or an injured player and it destroys their team, imagine waiting 5 years for a bad contract that is eating up half your cap space.

No thanks...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast