Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 85
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    91,902
    And yes I know its a term used to be racist to blacks but i do not think in this situation he even saw the guy as black and used monkey for that purpose.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    91,902
    Maddon was asked Wednesday night about Bosio’s firing.

    “It’s sad, very sad,” Maddon said. “It’s tough. Feel bad for him and his family.”

    Told about the reason for Bosio’s dismissal, Maddon said:

    “I’m not privy to (details of the incident). He did a lot of great work for us so many years. That’s a tough situation to be in. That’s potentially a career-ending situation.”

    Maddon added, speaking of Bosio’s years with the Cubs: “There were difficult conversations, but we didn’t have that (abusive remarks) issue.”Gardenhire explained Friday that he knew Bosio only casually ahead of his move to Detroit. He said he had not spoken with Bosio since Wednesday’s meeting.

    Tigers players were told of Bosio’s firing, as was reported, Wednesday afternoon and were ordered to “be careful what you say,” which were instructions in line with a team that seems certain it will be hearing from Bosio’s attorney.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    91,902
    Again the dude was clearly a dick to coaches etc and he had a history of abusive remarks in non racial matters and that further proves my point... I highly doubt he called him a monkey in a racist way when he was ranting.. He was more so calling him a name in reference to ranting towards his players.

    I would love it if there was video of the speech because how he said it and what he said leading up to it and ending it could very well help his case. He should be punished for being abusive in general and what he said was stupid but i doubt it was attached with racism... I believe if the towel dude was white he still throws out monkey there. That is my point.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    51,897
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    um is that not what every single other person in america has done since it happened? The difference is I am actually giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and not just labeling him a racist or labeling what he said as racist... Once others stop looking for racism around every corner we will all be much better off. Its not right for me to insinuate his intent but others can assume it till their blue in the face??


    Again for the 9th time nobody has come up to support him BECAUSE ONCE THE RACISM CARD IS PLAYED ITS THE TITANIC. Nobody has the balls to back a guy... This dudes wife probably told him she is gonna just stay out of it and let the cards fall how they may because any and everyone that tries to back him will be called/known/or looked upon as a racist in some way/shape or form.
    I think you're very much looking for this to be an example of "everyone looking for something racist" and you've picked the wrong platform and the wrong situation. Bosio used a word that has definitive racial undertones around a person that words' racial undertones are for. That's not really looking for racism. I'll say this: I'm 31 and I've never called anyone a monkey as a nickname or anything. Not for racists reasons (though I certainly wouldn't use in that way), just because it's not a normal nickname where I come from. I can say in 31 years I don't know a single soul who's been nicknamed "monkey". And I work with kids. If anything, those would be who you'd called "monkey". And even so, I'd very much consider another nickname thinking of how we can use monkey in a derogatory term. Maybe Bosio's different. Maybe this guy's nickname is "monkey" or whatever.

    I think there's a very strong chance that what Chris Bosio said was racist. I think people see at racist because...well...it's either racism or something Chris Bosio simply put, needs to be more intelligent about saying because of what happened. This isn't the guy I'd support or the situation I'd point to it. Maybe he's not a racist...but it seems like it has a lot of the factors of being racist. I won't say for sure either way, but I am absolutely not going to suggest what's "likely".
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-30-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    We're From Philadelphia


    We. Fight.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    91,902
    again id love to hear the entire rant.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,239
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You're going down a deep rabbit hole here, and it all starts with suggesting you know what his intent was. What is "likely" and what he "meant" is almost impossible for anyone here to say. Are you Chris Bosio? Do you know Chris Bosio intimately? Where you there?

    We're going off of what Bosio said he did, and second hand reports of what others say Bosio did. Ascribing intent here is really impossible.

    Bosio said "monkey". The Detroit Tigers thought it was serious enough that they immediately canned the guy. No one has come out to support Chris Bosio. If anything, that says volumes.
    So we can assume the worst and nothing more?

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    13,053
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Hopefully that first sentence wasn't for me. I am certainly not suggesting that. If anything, I am far more inclined to believe that what he said definitively had racist undertones considering no one has supported Bosio's theory and he was fired as fast as the Tigers could. I can't say for sure what he meant, because I'm neither Bosio, do not know Chris Bosio nor was I there, but if I was a betting man, my money is going on "he meant what he said".
    No, not directed at you. Meant for MTM.

    I agree with your post.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    13,053
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Again the dude was clearly a dick to coaches etc and he had a history of abusive remarks in non racial matters and that further proves my point... I highly doubt he called him a monkey in a racist way when he was ranting.. He was more so calling him a name in reference to ranting towards his players.

    I would love it if there was video of the speech because how he said it and what he said leading up to it and ending it could very well help his case. He should be punished for being abusive in general and what he said was stupid but i doubt it was attached with racism... I believe if the towel dude was white he still throws out monkey there. That is my point.
    Then pray tell why Bosio claimed he was referring to Daniel Stumpf? And Stumpf came out and said he was not aware of that nickname.

    And I really don’t care if you call your white nephew monkey or some dumb American Idol video I’m not gonna waste my time watching calls some guy monkey. It is not even close to the same. Even if Bosio did not intend to be racist, pretty sure you should expect to be labelled a racist calling a black guy monkey.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    18,415
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You're going down a deep rabbit hole here, and it all starts with suggesting you know what his intent was. What is "likely" and what he "meant" is almost impossible for anyone here to say. Are you Chris Bosio? Do you know Chris Bosio intimately? Where you there?

    We're going off of what Bosio said he did, and second hand reports of what others say Bosio did. Ascribing intent here is really impossible.

    Bosio said "monkey". The Detroit Tigers thought it was serious enough that they immediately canned the guy. No one has come out to support Chris Bosio. If anything, that says volumes.
    not that I agree with MTM but you are just making the opposite assumption of his intent...

    the bigger issue is should a guy lose his livelihood for 1 comment... the intolerance is mind boggling in America at this point.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    18,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    not that I agree with MTM but you are just making the opposite assumption of his intent...

    the bigger issue is should a guy lose his livelihood for 1 comment... the intolerance is mind boggling in America at this point.
    I think they should. If I could hypothetically get fired for saying something like that, i would like to think that a guy like this who is making a million bucks would be held to the same or even higher standard.

    It also doesn’t help that he made the racially insensitive comments in a city that’s 80% Black - I believe the largest black population in s city in the country.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    6,970
    recently a white wife of a Swahili man lovingly called her mixed race son a cheeky monkey....not a racist thought in her head....but a black woman overheard and laid into her....................should this woman have her child taken away? or just how far should it go with a misplaced word?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    37,239
    She should be executed in public.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    29,768
    If you work in any professional environment for more than 10 minutes, you should know directing the word "monkey" at a black person is something that is absolutely a fireable offense. Really no excuse. If you're that dumb, you deserve to be canned.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    If you work in any professional environment for more than 10 minutes, you should know directing the word "monkey" at a black person is something that is absolutely a fireable offense. Really no excuse. If you're that dumb, you deserve to be canned.
    The problem is we can't pretend like this is a normal job. Being on a baseball team isn't the same as working in a cubicle. From what I've read it seems like these 2 might of liked to give each other **** from time to time and Bosio took it a couple steps too far.

    I don't really have a problem with Detroit deciding to fire him because it is a bonehead move and bad PR for no reason, and if you are a pitching coach you probably aren't worth the baggage. But he shouldn't be blacklisted. And lets not play the game where we all pretend we haven't said some ****ed up stuff in our lives when around some buddies. You can say it's different because it's your job, but come on this is a different environment.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    13,053
    So basically, because it’s not a normal job, it’s ok to toss around racial slurs. Got ya.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •