Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Why do you want Trevor Story so badly?

He's the same player as Paul DeJong, and we don't need a SS or a 3B

Unless you are moving Wong in the process, I don't see the need or the upgrade (plus I question his ability to hit outside of Coors considering how many of his home runs are weak Coors home runs)

I feel like Story turns into a .215/.290/.385 hitter if he leaves the Rockies pretty quickly.

Not all Rockies hitters are going to struggle hitting elsewhere, but he has all the signs that he would. And it's not a position of need at all. He, like Mouse, isn't an upgrade for our roster.

Also, if anyone would give us a top 25 prospect for Jose Martinez, than obviously you take that in a heartbeat. But there is literally zero chance of that happening.

Jose Martinez has value because he is under team control, but he, like Tommy Pham, has never hit like this before and the expectation that he can sustain it isn't expected. Teams wouldn't give us much for either player. And we should enjoy whatever values they both produce for the team under team friendly deals that take out their entire peaks.

You are significantly overvaluing what Jose Martinez would bring back in a trade. Like way over rating it. He could fetch us a fringe top 100 guy, and that's probably it. We just bought him 36 months ago for cash only. He's a nice to have, not a got to have, type of player. Even as good as he's been, nobody is going to expect him to be a 130 OPS+ hitter over the next 4 years and play competent, steady first base.

If I'm in charge, I'm not doing anything unless we are over 50% likely to make the playoffs the week of the deadline, or lower than 25%. Though, always listening to offers that can improve the team, I wouldn't be soliciting them.

If we are under the 25% mark, then you look to sell a few guys that you don't intend on keeping around in 2019. So if you don't think Bud Norris is a guy you'll extend in the winter, shop him for what you can get for him and let some of the younger pen guys get some high leverage opportunities. I'd see what Wacha and Ozuna could fetch, and if a deal made sense, I'd move either or both (though Wacha may not even be an option to trade away), and I doubt anyone gives us nearly the value we'd need for Ozuna.

And I'd see if Fowler just needs a change of scenery that would make sense, or if he wants to try fresh in the second half to make 2019 more possible.

Other than that, you are kind of stuck with what we have, and you'd look into the winter from there.

If we are between that 25-50%, you probably just hold tight, because some good play in the second half might give us the wild card game, or we may fall short, but still have meaningful September games and attendance and viewership in another lost season.

Then start looking to retool in the off-season, and start looking at 2020 and beyond (with a new manager).

dont know if you're talking to me or whoever but i wasnt the first to bring story up. i really dont want him, i just went with the thread on it. also carlos martinez would net far, far more than a fringe top 100 prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    dont know if you're talking to me or whoever but i wasnt the first to bring story up. i really dont want him, i just went with the thread on it. also carlos martinez would net far, far more than a fringe top 100 prospect.
    I thought you were saying Jose Martinez would get us a top 25 prospect.

Carlos would grab us a package just below Q and Sale, you are correct.

With a decent (not great) bull pen, this team would have been a lock for the playoffs. I don't see the need to blow anything but the pen up and move Fowler. Probably find a new head coach...

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    With a decent (not great) bull pen, this team would have been a lock for the playoffs. I don't see the need to blow anything but the pen up and move Fowler. Probably find a new head coach...
    Yup

Every offensive position is in the top half of the league except RF and LF (Ozuna is playing better)

Rotation is one of the top in the league

What's crazy is that our bullpen FIP- is actually 16th best in baseball, yet we are 3rd to last in WPA.

That is 10000000% the managers fault, not the players. Matheny didn't know how to use a bullpen. And this was consistently a problem the last several years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234