Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    need umpires that know the strikezone before we change anything else. electronic scoring here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    Like Jeffy said, the positions weren't named, they just kind of developed naturally. Outfielders are obvious, but the number wasn't always 3, they would sometimes use 11 man defenses with 5 guys in the outfield.

The shortstop was originally a kind of middle man for the outfielders because the balls were too light to throw all the way from the outfield to the infield, so they'd have a permanent relay man. Once the ball got heavier and outfielders could start throwing it to infielders themselves, the shortstop moved to its present location.

They literally created a position to cover the gap between 2nd and 3rd because that's where the majority of balls hit by right handed hitters end up. The SS position is the ultimate shift.
    Exactly. Back in the 1900s, they didnt have the data collection and analysis tools we have today, but I guarantee the reason the defenders positioned themselves where they are was because people watched the game and said, ďhey, a lot of guys hit it there, why donít we put someone there?Ē The defenders were positioned in a way to maximize the coverage of the entire field. They arenít positioned where they are because someone arbitrarily said thatís where you stand. Guys watched the game and tried to figure out where to put everyone to best defend the entire field. Shifting is the natural evolution of that. Instead of beat defending the entire field, you beat defend the spray chart of the dude at the plate.

Youíre going to use Jay Bruce as your example? If he canít learn to adjust, tough crap. Same goes for anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    need umpires that know the strikezone before we change anything else. electronic scoring here we come!
    We've been trying that since baseball began. It's still a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Youíre going to use Jay Bruce as your example? If he canít learn to adjust, tough crap. Same goes for anybody else.
    Seriously.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I think baseball realizes that the home run/strikeout/walk outcomes being so predominant in baseball is getting boring. Its not good for the game and because players are so indoctrinated in trying to pull the ball with power, something needs to be done.

I don't mind the shift but I do understand trying to have singles and XBH be a bigger part of the game again.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-27-2018 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Okay so how are you going to limit the shift? How much player movement will constitute an illegal shift? It's stupid.

If hitters can't adjust then that's their problem.
    No. Itís a baseball problem bc it is perceived as an entertainment problem.

How much? Maybe there will be NO changes to the rules. That is also in the scope of possible outcomes. An endorsement to discuss a topic is indicative of an open mind and not a closed mind. Where the discussion leads is unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think baseball realizes that the home run/strikeout/walk outcomes being so predominant in baseball is getting boring. Its not good for the game and because players are so indoctrinated in trying to pull the ball with power, something needs to be done.

I don't mind the shift but I do understand trying to have singles and XBH be a bigger part of the game again.
    How many doubles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    How many doubles?

Some. You probably won't see teams guarding the lines as much as a natural way to stop a pull hitter unless its in late innings. Whatever the case is, you'll see more hits in general.

You could still employ the shift, but infielders would have to be on the dirt and outfielders would have to be in the grass.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Some. You probably won't see teams guarding the lines as much as a natural way to stop a pull hitter unless its in late innings. Whatever the case is, you'll see more hits in general.
    So. Did you or did you not make a connection to a prior post I made about Alonso?

I think of this just like I do those that complain about the hack a shaq. Learn to adjust or suffer the consequence of good strategy. That's competition period.

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    I think of this just like I do those that complain about the hack a shaq. Learn to adjust or suffer the consequence of good strategy. That's competition period.
    Basketball removed zone defense.
    NFL made rules in the 70's and 80's to allow WR to run routes more freely.

Batting averages are their lowest since 1972, a year before AL adopted the DH.

I'm not against the shift, just that all 4 infield positions should remain on the dirt.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Batting averages are their lowest since 1972, a year before AL adopted the DH.
    And yet, scoring is up.

Almost as if batting average doesn't correlate to scoring and teams learned that. The league has a slugging percentage 50 points higher than in 1972.

The sport has evolved as teams and individuals have learned more about what actually is productive in the league.

Basketball making zone defenses legal allowed for the evolution of the 3 point game. That, combined with a closer 3 point line and teams learning that the corner 3 is a highly highly valuable shot to take at high volumes, and the game has evolved.

Sometimes, it's good to let it evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    And yet, scoring is up.

Almost as if batting average doesn't correlate to scoring and teams learned that. The league has a slugging percentage 50 points higher than in 1972.

The sport has evolved as teams and individuals have learned more about what actually is productive in the league.

Basketball making zone defenses legal allowed for the evolution of the 3 point game. That, combined with a closer 3 point line and teams learning that the corner 3 is a highly highly valuable shot to take at high volumes, and the game has evolved.

Sometimes, it's good to let it evolve.
    right, but as dugmet has repeatedly pointed out, the game has to consider entertainment value especially in light of considerable attendance dropping.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast