Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,145

    (49-24) Boston Red Sox @ Minnesota Twins (31-37)

    Game 1: Tuesday, June 19, 8:10 PM ET


    Chris Sale, LHP (6-4) - (2.75 ERA)

    The ace has been overpowering in his past two starts, allowing a total of two runs and striking out 19 over 14 innings. In 13 career appearances at Target Field, Sale is 5-3 with a 4.60 ERA. Opponents are hitting .192 against Sale this season.


    Jose Berrios, RHP (7-5) - (3.51 ERA)

    Berrios has been on an impressive run, posting a 2.47 ERA over his last six starts. He gave up one run over six innings in a no-decision against the Tigers on Wednesday.


    Game 2: Wednesday, June 20, 8:10 PM ET


    David Price, LHP (8-4) - (3.76 ERA)

    The lefty has been tremendous in recent weeks, going 6-0 with a 2.64 ERA in his last seven starts. Last time out, Price stifled the M's, holding them to five hits and a run in seven innings. Lifetime at Target Field, Price is 4-3 with a 2.93 ERA.

    Lance Lynn, RHP (4-5) - (4.98 ERA)


    After an 8.37 ERA in five April starts, Lynn has settled down to register a 3.20 ERA over his last eight outings. He's coming off a tough loss, allowing three runs over 6 2/3 innings against Detroit on Thursday.



    Game 3: Thursday, June 21, 1:10 PM ET


    Rick Porcello, RHP (8-3) - (3.70 ERA)


    The sinkerballer had nine strikeouts in his last start, but he allowed seven hits and four runs over six innings. Porcello is 4-1 with a 3.94 ERA on the road this season. He is 6-3 with a 3.24 ERA in 12 starts at Target Field.

    Kyle Gibson, RHP (2-4) - (3.27 ERA)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,629
    Thrilled to see Robby Scott return to MLB.

  3. #3
    The yankees are a far better team than this sox team i hate to say it. Even with price, sale, and Wright pitching their best, this inconsistent offense disappears once again. They'll score 10 runs tomorrow, then 1 run the next 2 to 3 games
    Last edited by bosox1899; 06-21-2018 at 06:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    The yankees are a far better team than this sox team i hate to say it. Even with price, sale, and Wright pitching their best, this inconsistent offense disappears once again. They'll score 10 runs tomorrow, then 1 run the next 2 to 3 games
    Pretty close to being right today. We'll see how it goes tomorrow...

  5. #5
    Cora has a lot to learn. He should have never left wright iin that long to give up 10 runs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    416
    Ok hear me out before you all start bashing me. What am I doing on a Red Sox forum being a Yankees fan? Just wanted to say how exciting this year has been so far. It's going to come down to the wire between us fighting for the division. A lot of the media is picking us because of our deeper lineup and bullpen. I just hope the kids keep producing. Good luck the rest of the way. It'll be a fun race to the finish line.

    SUPER BOWL 52 CHAMPIONS!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,629
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    Cora has a lot to learn. He should have never left wright iin that long to give up 10 runs.
    Or... you see that it's not your day and you play for the long view. Pulling a SP after 2+ can hurt your BP for quite a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sixers3Fan View Post
    Ok hear me out before you all start bashing me. What am I doing on a Red Sox forum being a Yankees fan? Just wanted to say how exciting this year has been so far. It's going to come down to the wire between us fighting for the division. A lot of the media is picking us because of our deeper lineup and bullpen. I just hope the kids keep producing. Good luck the rest of the way. It'll be a fun race to the finish line.
    I think that most writers assumed that your lineup would be stronger than it has been in reality. The Stanton/Judge tandem has been outperformed by Betts/Martinez and I can see a reasonable case to say that the lineups might be even at worst. Your pen is better by a lot but Boston's starters are better. Even is probably the right spot. To be honest, I'm more interested in other divisions for the playoffs than how NYY finishes; we're both going to make it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Or... you see that it's not your day and you play for the long view. Pulling a SP after 2+ can hurt your BP for quite a while.
    Seems opposite of what he's been doing all season though. Pulls pitchers out early when they're pitching a gem but leaves them in when they're getting crushed. I do agree that if you already know you're going to lose the game, there's no use wasting the bullpen, on the other hand it could have an adverse affect on wright's confidence. His next outing he might be more conscience about every pitch and being afraid to give up another 10 runs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,629
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox1899 View Post
    Seems opposite of what he's been doing all season though. Pulls pitchers out early when they're pitching a gem but leaves them in when they're getting crushed. I do agree that if you already know you're going to lose the game, there's no use wasting the bullpen, on the other hand it could have an adverse affect on wright's confidence. His next outing he might be more conscience about every pitch and being afraid to give up another 10 runs.
    Please feel free to provide actual evidence. Price had a crappy start but, again, do you pull him after 2IP when your primary long man has already been converted to a starter and gone back to the DL? Bring in your new long man who has less than 25 IP in MLB?

    But more to the point, where are all the starters who were yanked while pitching gems? Earlier in the season Cora pulled guys in the 85-95 pitch range. Well, better said, he kept them back from going another inning when it seemed like they were on a roll. Wise? Yeah, probably. He kept them from another 25 pitches (including warmups). That's going to pay dividends down the road. It's more "old school" that some recent trends of pulling guys after their second turn through the lineup.

    Sale: clear trend in his game logs of adding pitches as the season has gone on; hasn't thrown fewer than 93 pitches since mid-April but also more than 110 only twice. In 2017, he'd thrown 110+ in five of his ten starts and had fewer than 100 pitches in only one start before 8/1. If that sounds like a mistake or bad trend, check what he did after 8/1 last year. Or the year before. Or...

    Porcello: similar trend though his pitch counts tend to be a bit lower as have his IP totals; no surprise as he's not the same pitcher. He's had three starts with 5 or more runs allowed (one had two unearned), half the number as a year ago

    Price: almost a carbon copy of Porcello in all respects although his ERA has a bad trend upward

    Rodriguez: really, like the rest. His IP/GS is the lowest because he's been pretty inefficient. Four starts of 5+ runs.

    I really don't see any evidence. There is a strong correlation between a blowout start and this type of complaint though. I'd love to see your evidence on the side of the great starts cut short and an explanation of why this intervention is bad in the long term. Showing the short starts and resulting losses -- or aberration in winning percentage -- would probably the way to demonstrate it. Barring evidence it seems just like a complaint without much foundation.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Please feel free to provide actual evidence. Price had a crappy start but, again, do you pull him after 2IP when your primary long man has already been converted to a starter and gone back to the DL? Bring in your new long man who has less than 25 IP in MLB?

    But more to the point, where are all the starters who were yanked while pitching gems? Earlier in the season Cora pulled guys in the 85-95 pitch range. Well, better said, he kept them back from going another inning when it seemed like they were on a roll. Wise? Yeah, probably. He kept them from another 25 pitches (including warmups). That's going to pay dividends down the road. It's more "old school" that some recent trends of pulling guys after their second turn through the lineup.

    Sale: clear trend in his game logs of adding pitches as the season has gone on; hasn't thrown fewer than 93 pitches since mid-April but also more than 110 only twice. In 2017, he'd thrown 110+ in five of his ten starts and had fewer than 100 pitches in only one start before 8/1. If that sounds like a mistake or bad trend, check what he did after 8/1 last year. Or the year before. Or...

    Porcello: similar trend though his pitch counts tend to be a bit lower as have his IP totals; no surprise as he's not the same pitcher. He's had three starts with 5 or more runs allowed (one had two unearned), half the number as a year ago

    Price: almost a carbon copy of Porcello in all respects although his ERA has a bad trend upward

    Rodriguez: really, like the rest. His IP/GS is the lowest because he's been pretty inefficient. Four starts of 5+ runs.

    I really don't see any evidence. There is a strong correlation between a blowout start and this type of complaint though. I'd love to see your evidence on the side of the great starts cut short and an explanation of why this intervention is bad in the long term. Showing the short starts and resulting losses -- or aberration in winning percentage -- would probably the way to demonstrate it. Barring evidence it seems just like a complaint without much foundation.
    In response to the first part, why not let the long man with less than 25 ip finish it off? If you're getting blown out, might as well give him some experience.

    The rest of your points are valid after doing some research. My point was based on the beginning of the season and mainly with sale for the first 4 to 5 starts but now it seems cora is leaving them in longer when they're pitching well. I guess we'll have to see how he manages iin the postseason.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    17,629
    I guess that it depends on what your goals are. If the goal is experience for the long man then that makes sense. If the goal is to keep the game somewhat in hand then I'm not sure that the long man makes a ton of sense. The two things are not mutually exclusive, of course, but what I see in my mind's eye is the SP getting into another jam after having already put up a crooked number or two. If you want to keep the game close enough to come back, then you probably need a MR to help put down the fire and then let that young long man start the next innings; otherwise, the pressure is likely a LOT more than what you want for a kid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •