Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bryce Harper

Bryce Harper

That 400 million dollar contract probably wont happen at this point... He is young but there isnt an organization throwing 400 million at a dude batting 226 nomatter how many advance stats are out there.

He's getting very unlucky. He has a career low .216 BABIP and a career high 44.3% hard hit percentage. He's hit the ball very well but the hits aren't falling. He's also swinging less outside the zone and more inside the zone. Though he is making noticeably less contact overall (69.9% compared to his career 75.5%). He'll be fine.

$400M? I don't know. That contract will still be quite large.

He still has a 127 wRC+, even with what Rush said.

He has a career 141 wRC+ and is only 25.

Heyward got 8/184 with two opt-outs and a career 118 and only 25 fWAR (Harper is already at 28 before this season ends)

It would certainly help him to finish the year with a 135-140 wRC+ type of season. Hell, he'll still probably end up with 40 homers this year (current pace of 45.94)

There have been a total of 31 players in baseball history with at least 30.0 rWAR through their age 25 season.

Machado and Trout are active, then A-Rod, Pujols, and Jones are the others through this century.

The rest?

Griffey, Bonds, Ripken, Henderson, Cesar Cedeno, Johnny Bench, Pinson, Robinson, Kaline, Aaron, Mathews, Mantle, Mays, Musial, Williams, DiMaggio, Vaughn, Ott, Foxx, Gehrig, Hornsby, Ruth, Speaker, Cobb, Collins, Magee

In this group.

The best age 25 season was Babe Ruth's 13.3 fWAR

The worst age 25 season was Al Kaline's 2.7 fWAR

The average was 7.5 fWAR

The best career fWAR from age 26 on was Ruth with 136.9. The worst was Vada Pinson with 16.8. The average fWAR among this group from age 26 through retirement is 70.5 fWAR

He is just so young, with so much potential and production to not get a massive deal in this market on the open market. The demands for a cornerstone, franchise anchoring player are out of this world.

Even if he finishes this season with a 5.0 fWAR, that puts him in the company of Rickey Henderson, Cesar Cedeno, Johnny Bench, Arky Vaughan and Griffey among this group

Comparing Griffey to Harper through their age 25 seasons actually makes a lot of sense.

Griffey - 917 G, 3920 PA, 38.3 fWAR - .302/.379/.536 - 142 wRC+ 189 HR, 92 SB - good defensive CFer
    Harper - 832G, 3544 PA, 28.7 fWAR - .281/.385/.515 - 141 WRC+ 169 HR, 67 SB - good defensive RFer

Obviously Griffey played well in center vs Harper's good defense in right. And Harper still has 3.5 months left until he finishes his age 25 season. So this adjusts the WAR total a decent amount.

My complaint with Harper is that he had the one very elite season. And while age and potential are fantastic things, he has been only an all-star caliber player since then:

Since the beginning of 2016, Harper is 33rd in fWAR (next to Rizzo, Cruz, and Cain) and his 131 wRC+ is only 21st (with Edwin Encarnacion).

Since 2016, he isn't a 35-40 AAV player. But even with this age, that's still a 28-32 AAV guy

LOL at the anonymous executive who called him a "losing ballplayer."

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I wouldn't want that guy making baseball decisions for my team.

Harper is indeed arrogant, but that doesn't automatically make him a "losing ballplayer." Reggie Jackson was arrogant, but he was also a winning ballplayer. I get the overrated part. Harper has less than half of Mike Trout's career WAR, but the fans and media always compares the two as is they were one and the same.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Harper is indeed arrogant, but that doesn't automatically make him a "losing ballplayer." Reggie Jackson was arrogant, but he was also a winning ballplayer. I get the overrated part. Harper has less than half of Mike Trout's career WAR, but the fans and media always compares the two as is they were one and the same.
    Exactly. Also not his fault the Nationals haven't gotten out of the NLDS.

TBH you guys are the same guys arguing him for years but at the same time his potential is enormous but he either gets injured or underachieves in terms of what he should be... yes he will end up at 5war but he gets talked about like a 9 war player.

Bryce harper the 400 million dollar man is hitting 226... I am all for advanced stats but 226 says a ton. He has been talked about on mike trout levels and never lives up to the hype and there is always excuses.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 06-14-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Its not but the dude with all the arrogance and the hype needs to be better often and he hasn't. We are talking about a guy getting 400 million dollars and he gets talked about more than trout and machado but falls short often.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    That 400 million dollar contract probably wont happen at this point... He is young but there isnt an organization throwing 400 million at a dude batting 226 nomatter how many advance stats are out there.
    Should he take the QO and hope for a better 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Should he take the QO and hope for a better 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honestly he should do what trout did and just take a big deal now and bank on himself later... health/sub par season for what he should be.. He will get top dollar nomatter what he does but he isnt coming close to 400 million like he was expected. At this point MM will get the bigger contract and rightfully so. Bryce Harper even if he is unlucky continues to disappoint in terms of what he should be... This is suppose to be a top 2 player in the game and he isnt/hasnt been. We can use advanced stats all we want but he isnt what he should be esp when you factor how good he thinks he is which he isnt. He will def get paid and rightfully so but he isnt touching 300 million let alone 400.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most:32394676
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Its not but the dude with all the arrogance and the hype needs to be better often and he hasn't. We are talking about a guy getting 400 million dollars and he gets talked about more than trout and machado but falls short often.
    Harper has been better than Machado so far. Although it's close.

Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    not this season he hasnt. MM has been better so far both this season and so far in their careers... BH has 1 10 war season while MM has been more consistent year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most:32394728
    not this season he hasnt.
    This season no, but for his career he has been. You quoted me before I was able to edit my post.

This season no, but for his career he has been. You quoted me before I was able to edit my post.
    even for their careers he hasnt... he has the best season compared to the 2 but MM has been more consistent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast