Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miggy out for the rest of the season

Miguel Cabrera needs season-ending surgery for a ruptured tendon in his left biceps.

Cabrera suffered the injury on a swing in the third inning of Tuesday night's game against the Twins. He was immediately sent for an MRI, which revealed the torn tendon. This is a crushing blow for a Detroit team that has somewhat exceeded expectations. Cabrera hasn't hit for much power this year, but he did have a .301/.397/.451 batting line in 157 plate appearances. John Hicks figures to be the Tigers' primary first baseman moving forward and should have some appeal in AL-only fantasy leagues.
    via rotoworld

This is tough news to hear, even coming from a Twins' fan. Miggy has always been one of the more respected players in the game, because of his style of play -- hard, but very clean. He is well-liked by opposing fans. I wish him the absolute best in his surgery, which is likely to be done as soon as the swelling subsides. He should be ready for next season.

as long as it wasn't reported by Pedro Gomez

I hate to say this, but I think the lineup is stronger without him. Never thought Id say that.

Sad. he's also getting crushed on forums. I don't get the hate. Dude earned his money. Unfortunately we will never see the vintage Miggy again.

No way I could even come close to crushing the guy. He has been a stud and it's not his fault he signed an awful contract given to him by the Tigers. Everyone had to see this contract was going to be bad later on. Miggy didn't help himself by getting out of shape but the guy is still a stud no matter what people say.

That all being said, we need to use his time away as time to shuffle the decks. We have to release VMart now, IMO. He doesn't offer anything to this team. He can't run, his double play factor is way to high, and both of these stunt the fact this team likes to run and be aggressive. Vmart being in the middle of the runners hurts us badly in key situations. Vmart was great for a long while, and again, I can't blame him for the crappy contract but it's time to get this rebuild in full mode.

Let's keep Greiner up as the back up catcher, put Hicks at 1B, and call up Christian Stewart. It's time! I was recently at a Mud Hens game and the kid laced two huge hits. The best part, every at bat, he was tough. Fouling off pitches, holding off on balls, and just making the pitcher work. I wasn't expecting it at all. He was said to be a big strike out or HR guy but that's not what I saw at all. He only had a few chances in the OF but certainly didn't look helpless. I'd say on par or above where Nick is in RF.

I'd like to see Nick and Stew split time in the outfield (Jones can flop from RF/LF as needed) and at DH keeping both bats in the lineup. Stew is MLB ready and should be up now that Miggy is gone but the only way to do it properly is to release VMart. He's been well paid for his part and he can hook up with a contender if he wants to keep playing. He's doing this team no good. Let McCann and Nick take the leadership roles and lets get a jump on the rebuild.

Ive been wanting Stewart up since last year. Ridiculous that piece of crap VMart is occupying the cleanup spot while this guy rips apart the minors. I agree, VMart was great for quite awhile but time to move on. Hes borderline useless now.

And I get it, they probably want Stewart to develop in the outfield at this point more so than at the plate but come on. And I know errors arent the greatest tool in determining your defensive prowess but the guy has only 1 error on the year.

As for bashing Miggy, people are just idiots. Yeah I kinda get where theyre coming from, hes aging, hurt a lot and gets paid a lot. But holy christ, hes the best Tiger hitter weve ever seen. Unless your Jack, he may argue Ty Cobb....

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Ive been wanting Stewart up since last year. Ridiculous that piece of crap VMart is occupying the cleanup spot while this guy rips apart the minors. I agree, VMart was great for quite awhile but time to move on. Hes borderline useless now.

And I get it, they probably want Stewart to develop in the outfield at this point more so than at the plate but come on. And I know errors arent the greatest tool in determining your defensive prowess but the guy has only 1 error on the year.

As for bashing Miggy, people are just idiots. Yeah I kinda get where theyre coming from, hes aging, hurt a lot and gets paid a lot. But holy christ, hes the best Tiger hitter weve ever seen. Unless your Jack, he may argue Ty Cobb....

should've traded Miggy instead we extended him and let Scherzer walk.. like it's not that hard to think

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    should've traded Miggy instead we extended him and let Scherzer walk.. like it's not that hard to think
    cmon man

set your revisionist history aside for a minute

in the thick of a multiyear playoff run we should've traded our best hitter?

I get the notion of blowing it up when it appeared over, but at that point it wasn't over

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    cmon man

set your revisionist history aside for a minute

in the thick of a multiyear playoff run we should've traded our best hitter?

I get the notion of blowing it up when it appeared over, but at that point it wasn't over
    I wanted him gone 3 yers ago. The writing was on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I wanted him gone 3 yers ago. The writing was on the wall.
    Miggy brings in the Tigers organization a ton of money. You just don't let iconic players who are one of the best to ever play the game walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Miggy brings in the Tigers organization a ton of money. You just don't let iconic players who are one of the best to ever play the game walk.
    Who said anything about letting him walk?

Could have dealt him to a contender for a serious prospect or two. Should have done the same with Victor. And we did the same with JV, just a year too late.

I'm not always right. I thought JV's career was done due to injuries.

BUT...to me, three years ago, this was the obvious move. The Tigers should have sold, but they tried to win one for the old man. Throw an inexperienced Avila Sr into the mix and you've got a bunch of gigantic contracts that you're stuck with. Its a ****** scenario that shouldn't have happened. The last 3 years set this franchise back 10.

Sucks that he's hurt. I think his career is basically over. He started getting hurt and it was all over. Sucks. :/

I didn't hate the extension, but I didn't love it either. Mostly I just hoped we'd get a few more good years...I guess we won't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast