Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,077

    Raptors assistant Nick Nurse promoted to teamís new head coach


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16,310
    Maybe Raptors fans can tell us if this is good or bad but I always felt you guys needed a more veteran coach.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Maybe Raptors fans can tell us if this is good or bad but I always felt you guys needed a more veteran coach.
    Dwayne Casey is a veteran coach. Dude has tons of experience. Itís just that your team wonít get too far when Lowry and DeRozan are your 2 best players

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16,310
    Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    Dwayne Casey is a veteran coach. Dude has tons of experience. Itís just that your team wonít get too far when Lowry and DeRozan are your 2 best players
    He is but that playoffs coaching was horrific. I saw Love demolish their small lineup play after play and Casey made zero adjustments to it. IMO, Raptors #1 assignment should have been trading Lowry or DeRozan and then seeing if Casey is the coach they want. No matter who they replace as the coach, I doubt they will go far with Lowry/DeRozan.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,867
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt:32392069
    Maybe Raptors fans can tell us if this is good or bad but I always felt you guys needed a more veteran coach.
    He was given the most credit for the Raptors new offense last season and is known for his offensive creativity.

    He also previewed the Rockets 3 point heavy offense we see today when he was coaching their G-League team a few years back.

    I'm not sure what to think of this decision to be honest. However, he's definitely qualified.
    ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    17,442
    I just hope he actually draws up a play when we call a timeout.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,827
    I think they needed fresh blood.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    9,261
    Maybe he can Nurse the Raptors back to health after the beat down the Cavs gave them..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    31,297
    Sounds like a guy that should coach the Raptors


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    10,328
    Obviously, I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase, but I hate this move. The Raptors probably had their most embarrassing season in the past 5 years after they got their A**es handed to them by Lebron and the Cavs, as a 1 seed, who won 59 games.... against a Cavs team that was probably the weakest team that James has led since 2007. Every single one of their opponents in this years playoffs were able to win at least 3 games against this Cavs team, and you're telling me that this near 60 win team, wasn't able to win a single game? This is the 3rd straight year you've seen this team, you should be used to the plays they run, but game by game they got picked apart. Yes, the players sucked, but the coaching was also subpar. Regardless of who you blame of the key guys, NOBODY deserves to be promoted after this choke of a year, even if Nurse might be the best case of all of them.

    I wanted them to bring in someone from San Antonio (Messina, Harmon), or go look for a guy who was a hardened playoff coach (E.g. Van Gundys) who could better keep the guys composure during the harshness of the playoffs. Now I could be 100% wrong about Nurse, but I'm sorry if it's hard for me to think that a guy who was already a significant part of the current, under performing culture, will be able to change it into a rigid winning one.


    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

    Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.


    Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

    But Tittays are forever.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    31,297
    Should attract big name free agents
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    22,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    Obviously, I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase, but I hate this move. The Raptors probably had their most embarrassing season in the past 5 years after they got their A**es handed to them by Lebron and the Cavs, as a 1 seed, who won 59 games.... against a Cavs team that was probably the weakest team that James has led since 2007. Every single one of their opponents in this years playoffs were able to win at least 3 games against this Cavs team, and you're telling me that this near 60 win team, wasn't able to win a single game? This is the 3rd straight year you've seen this team, you should be used to the plays they run, but game by game they got picked apart. Yes, the players sucked, but the coaching was also subpar. Regardless of who you blame of the key guys, NOBODY deserves to be promoted after this choke of a year, even if Nurse might be the best case of all of them.

    I wanted them to bring in someone from San Antonio (Messina, Harmon), or go look for a guy who was a hardened playoff coach (E.g. Van Gundys) who could better keep the guys composure during the harshness of the playoffs. Now I could be 100% wrong about Nurse, but I'm sorry if it's hard for me to think that a guy who was already a significant part of the current, under performing culture, will be able to change it into a rigid winning one.
    I like it.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13,430
    Good move. New school type thinking

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,867
    Despite a largely successful partnership during their time together with the Toronto Raptors, Dwane Casey and Nick Nurse might be happier they'll reside in different cities next season.

    In a report from Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star, league sources say the newly minted head coaches - Nurse with Toronto and Casey with the Detroit Pistons - haven't been on good terms since Casey was let go by the Raptors on May 11 before Nurse's promotion to the top spot. One source even went as far as to say, "No love lost between 'em."

    Another source suggested that due to the presence of the defensive-minded Casey and defensive coordinator Rex Kalamian, Nurse's offensive ideas weren't given a chance to be fully heard and implemented despite him leading Toronto's switch to a more pass-heavy motion offense this past season.

    Nurse's supporters also apparently believe that along with his offense-first mindset, he'll hold players accountable in ways Casey could not, according to Feschuk.

    Despite being the man who gave Nurse his first gig on an NBA bench, Casey's new role as head coach of the Pistons just across the border - and the apparently frayed relationship between the two - could add a little juice to the regional rivalry.

    https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1557284
    ďItís about winning,Ē Stoudemire said. ďYou win, youíre going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won ó Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you donít win, nobody really wants to see you.Ē

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,670
    Nurse coached the D-League team here in Iowa for a few years, I think '07-'11. He won a D-League championship with one of his squads. So, I don't know if that does anything for ya but he's had success in college, D-League as head coach, and NBA as assistant coach thus far. Seems like a qualified move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •