Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    He did get credit. He won COTY. The fact is, Toronto Raptors winning has more to do with the improvement of the roster and players simply getting better. Many coaches simply don't get seven years to work on a team these days so they are fired after a few years and likely don't see the improvements made from a team perspective.
    Winning COTY suggests that voters think it was Casey that was the catalyst for that improvement. No coach takes a 22 win team to 59 wins without roster changes. It's silly to make that a disqualifying factor. He has coached a bad team into a good team.

Hard to contribute that to just Casey. I would think a better overall roster/improved players have more to do with it.
    if you can coach a team without an A level star to 59 wins you are doing work
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Winning COTY suggests that voters think it was Casey that was the catalyst for that improvement. No coach takes a 22 win team to 59 wins without roster changes. It's silly to make that a disqualifying factor. He has coached a bad team into a good team.
    Yes, and he had seven seasons to do so. Seven seasons in which we've seen Kyle Lowry and DeRozan turn into All-Stars and also, one of the best bench in the NBA. I've given credit to Casey and so has the other NBA personnel. But the fact is, he's not the biggest reason why that team became great. Players simply developed and they had more talent over the years. There were gradual improvements season after season. Again, not saying Casey doesn't deserve a lot of credit but he's simply had enough time to watch this team grow for seven seasons. Not many coaches get that opportunity to stay for seven seasons to see the progress through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    if you can coach a team without an A level star to 59 wins you are doing work
    Irrelevant, really. Celtics were injured, Cavs were a mess all season.. That 59 wins led them to a sweep. They had two-all stars in the East and the best bench in the NBA. And is there any doubt Brad is the real COTY? Just wondering..

Quote Originally Posted by TylerSL View Post
    I like Casey and suspect he will do well, however I think Detroit should not have given up on SVG. This upcoming season would have been the final year of Van Gundy's deal and I just wouldn't have extended him. I would have made SVG play next season without an extension as a do or die season. Now, because he wasn't given that opportunity, the Pistons are going to let somebody else cash in on his work. This sort of things happens often in the NBA, and I'm never a fan of it.

Also, Casey should still be in Toronto. They completely scapegoated him. If anything, the Raptors should have traded DeRozan and Lowry and kept Casey. Without Casey, they still will have the same issues and not make it out of the East, let alone win the Finals.
    The biggest issue wasn't him as a coach, but as the GM. He made a solid move trading for Reggie Jackson, but then gave him a massive contract. Signed Jon Leuer, Langston Galloway, Jodie Meeks, Boban Marjanovic, and then decided to waive Josh Smith which hurt the future cap space. None of those players were worth the capital they received and in that process he managed to draft nobody worth a damn.

Again, not saying Casey doesn't deserve a lot of credit but he's simply had enough time to watch this team grow for seven seasons. Not many coaches get that opportunity to stay for seven seasons to see the progress through.
    This part I agree with. But he has coached a bad team into a good team, which is what I was replying to.

Yes, and he had seven seasons to do so. Seven seasons in which we've seen Kyle Lowry and DeRozan turn into All-Stars and also, one of the best bench in the NBA. I've given credit to Casey and so has the other NBA personnel. But the fact is, he's not the biggest reason why that team became great. Players simply developed and they had more talent over the years. There were gradual improvements season after season. Again, not saying Casey doesn't deserve a lot of credit but he's simply had enough time to watch this team grow for seven seasons. Not many coaches get that opportunity to stay for seven seasons to see the progress through.

Irrelevant, really. Celtics were injured, Cavs were a mess all season.. That 59 wins led them to a sweep. They had two-all stars in the East and the best bench in the NBA. And is there any doubt Brad is the real COTY? Just wondering..
    it's irrelevant that he took a superstarless team to 59 wins? in what discussion? certainly not whether he did a great job or not. winning without talent seems like a great barometer.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

it's irrelevant that he took a superstarless team to 59 wins? in what discussion? certainly not whether he did a great job or not. winning without talent seems like a great barometer.

Irrelevant in that 59 wins on that team really never proved how great that team would be. We all knew that they would get smashed by the Cavs because of Lebron. So if 59 wins is the barometer of their success, it's simply meaningless to me on the other hand because I've always felt they weren't that great of a team to begin with. 59 wins didn't convince me that they were. Never did. Quit saying superstarless team, dude. They had a lot of good pieces/players. You make it seem as if DeRozan/Lowry aren't a top backcourt in the NBA.

Irrelevant in that 59 wins on that team really never proved how great that team would be. We all knew that they would get smashed by the Cavs because of Lebron. So if 59 wins is the barometer of their success, it's simply meaningless to me on the other hand because I've always felt they weren't that great of a team to begin with. 59 wins didn't convince me that they were. Never did. Quit saying superstarless team, dude. They had a lot of good pieces/players. You make it seem as if DeRozan/Lowry aren't a top backcourt in the NBA.
    make a list of players in the order you would take them. I doubt either are in your top 30 if you are honest.

make a list of players in the order you would take them. I doubt either are in your top 30 if you are honest.

I wouldn't take them from a playoff perspective but for sure they are both near that area.. and DeRozan is in my top 30 list. The playoffs reasoning is why I won't take them, though. They are both very good players. I'm not sure both of them being on the same team is a good idea as well just because neither seem to play like an alpha.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Quote Originally Posted by Westbrook36 View Post
    The biggest issue wasn't him as a coach, but as the GM. He made a solid move trading for Reggie Jackson, but then gave him a massive contract. Signed Jon Leuer, Langston Galloway, Jodie Meeks, Boban Marjanovic, and then decided to waive Josh Smith which hurt the future cap space. None of those players were worth the capital they received and in that process he managed to draft nobody worth a damn.
    My understanding was that they were willing to keep him as coach, but that he didn't want to stay with the team in that capacity alone. So they mutually agreed to part ways.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12