Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anthony Bourdain Commits Suicide at Age 61

Apparently by hanging in his hotel room in France while on tour for his tv show

This one hurts. One of my favorite T.V personalities, and a genius in his own right. His shows get me thru my days at work. Hope he is at peace now. RIP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Ppl watch cooking shows? Why? Just give me a recipe book. Don’t understand the celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Never liked this guy, though I used to watch his shows. Something about his personality just seemed unlikable to me. Came off full of himself and just not that interesting of a guy IMO. I don't recall where I read it, but he was not some celebrated master chef or anything like that either, though I don't believe he ever tried to pass himself off as one. Originally, his shows were more food oriented and more watchable for me. Later they became less so, and less so.

I really don't get why people give a rat's *** about what celebrities think or say about ****. Just cuz they got money doesn't make their views and opinions any more salient than the rest of us knuckleheads posting here.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Bourdain was a successful chef before becoming a celebrity, but yeah his shows weren't so much about the technicalities of cooking (well, they weren't at all), but more about culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Bourdain was a successful chef before becoming a celebrity, but yeah his shows weren't so much about the technicalities of cooking (well, they weren't at all), but more about culture.
    More like about his drinking culture...

I've always deemed foods (not necessarily cooking) and music as two things that help define a people (culture), which is why his show initially interested me. But he seemed to lose his way from that original theme, which is when/why I lost interest in the show. Maybe that somehow foretold of him losing his way in life.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    Never liked this guy, though I used to watch his shows. Something about his personality just seemed unlikable to me. Came off full of himself and just not that interesting of a guy IMO. I don't recall where I read it, but he was not some celebrated master chef or anything like that either, though I don't believe he ever tried to pass himself off as one. Originally, his shows were more food oriented and more watchable for me. Later they became less so, and less so.

I really don't get why people give a rat's *** about what celebrities think or say about ****. Just cuz they got money doesn't make their views and opinions any more salient than the rest of us knuckleheads posting here.
    A lot of people think he is some pompous jerk, which I simply don't get. The show was rarely about his opinions

He was a champion of cheap food, common things, and regular people. His show was often about breaking down barriers, exposing preconceived notions, and making genuine connections. He seemed like a genuinely good guy, someone I respected a lot, RIP
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    A lot of people think he is some pompous jerk, which I simply don't get. The show was rarely about his opinions

He was a champion of cheap food, common things, and regular people. His show was often about breaking down barriers, exposing preconceived notions, and making genuine connections. He seemed like a genuinely good guy, someone I respected a lot, RIP
    we actually agree on something. I am not sure where his rep as arrogant ever came from. His books were great, his show great. He just liked the connection with people. He even brought it up as he called out liberals after the last presidential election.

All in all, seems like we lost a great one. Sad...RIP

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    we actually agree on something. I am not sure where his rep as arrogant ever came from. His books were great, his show great. He just liked the connection with people. He even brought it up as he called out liberals after the last presidential election.

All in all, seems like we lost a great one. Sad...RIP
    I can see how his personality can turn off people. It was big, bold, strong. Think it just makes him appear arrogant to some perhaps

He had great television in Middle East.
    Crazy episode in Lebanon where he was scared straight & he visited Iran and a colossus once-in-a-lifetime sandstorm was perfectly caught by CNN cameras. Ironic that he was on biggest skyscraper in city too

His show was often about breaking down barriers, exposing preconceived notions, and making genuine connections. He seemed like a genuinely good guy, someone I respected a lot, RIP
    You make him sound like a living, breathing TED Talk. No wonder I never cared about him.

I remember his old show and thinking it was pretty lame but nothing else. Sounds like another lifelong pompous addict that killed himself. Can't say I'm surprised or care.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    You make him sound like a living, breathing TED Talk. No wonder I never cared about him.

I remember his old show and thinking it was pretty lame but nothing else. Sounds like another lifelong pompous addict that killed himself. Can't say I'm surprised or care.
    wow. you seem like a pretty miserable person
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

wow. you seem like a pretty miserable person
    The miserable ones hang themselves on doorknobs in hotels, but I understand your confusion.

It's easy to find and poke holes in the character of most celebs these days, but I never found myself able to with Bourdain.

I'm unsurprising flea didn't like him because flea is a miserable idiot. Or perhaps because Bourdain was quite progressive in his ways and flea's little brain starts to misfire when he comes across people like that. I can see people who didn't watch his shows thinking he's arrogant, because they didn't watch his shows.

But the guy was one of the few celebrities that I always felt was genuine. Almost all these celebrity deaths don't really linger with me at all, but Bourdain's has a little. I haven't stumbled across a negative word about from from anyone who knew him over the past week. And that's not surprising. His experiences, his wisdom, his sense of wonder and adventure, and the way he gravitated towards genuine and interesting people is nearly unrivaled. Clearly an empathetic guy who always found the human side where he went. A great modern story teller with impeccable values.

If "he sounded arrogant" is all you can come up with you a) don't have any ammunition and b) had no reason to post in the first place.

Anthony Bourdain whipped ***.
    this my sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast