Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    The ERAs by decade really havenít evolved one way more than the other over the years, so I donít know how much ďimprovementĒ you feel pitching has had hasnít happened to hitting as well.

You can't honestly believe that pitchers were as effective in the 40's and 50's as they were in the 90's. Just look at complete games alone. It was very common for a pitcher to pitch 9 innings. In the 90's I'm sure that went down a huge amount. Specialized relievers were also not around back in the 40's/50's.

Only benefit I can see Gwynn having is he probably had some scouting against the pitchers & probably was more rested for each game.

Couple of my fave Tony Gwynn stats:

1. 6 consecutive seasons of striking out less than 20 times.

2. 323 combined plate appearances against Hall of Famers Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, & Pedro.

He batted .373 with 3 K.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Couple of my fave Tony Gwynn stats:

1. 6 consecutive seasons of striking out less than 20 times.

2. 323 combined plate appearances against Hall of Famers Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, & Pedro.

He batted .373 with 3 K.
    The most he ever struck out against a particular pitcher was Nolan Ryan, which was nine times.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Tony Gwynn somehow struck out six times against soft-tossing John Tudor.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    You can't honestly believe that pitchers were as effective in the 40's and 50's as they were in the 90's. Just look at complete games alone. It was very common for a pitcher to pitch 9 innings. In the 90's I'm sure that went down a huge amount. Specialized relievers were also not around back in the 40's/50's.

Only benefit I can see Gwynn having is he probably had some scouting against the pitchers & probably was more rested for each game.
    Donít get me wrong, I grew up watching Gwynn and heís easily one of my favorites. He also appeared to be one that Ted Williams respected greatly, but to think whatever improvements pitchers have had has not applied to hitters as well is insane.

Besides, the way youíre looking at complete games as if itís a negative, someone can easily say these pitchers of today are a bunch of pampered babies due to their huge contracts that they donít have the endurance the older players had. Itís all how you look at it.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 07-07-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    Donít get me wrong, I grew up watching Gwynn and heís easily one of my favorites. He also appeared to be one that Ted Williams respected greatly, but to think whatever improvements pitchers have had has not applied to hitters as well is insane.

Besides, the way youíre looking at complete games as if itís a negative, someone can easily say these pitchers of today are a bunch of pampered babies due to their huge contracts that they donít have the endurance the older players had. Itís all how you look at it.
    the reason pitchers dont pitch as many CG anymore is because they throw harder (and more sliders) making them A LOT more vulnerable to injury. All athletes in all sports are better with time (generally speaking). Baseball is no exception.

Im pretty sure Cy Young and Walter Johnson wouldnt be making AA in today's game.
    Last edited by amnesiac; 07-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.

I'd say the reason is moreso that modern teams baby their pitchers from day one since players are such a huge investment.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
    the reason pitchers dont pitch as many CG anymore is because they throw harder (and more sliders) making them A LOT more vulnerable to injury. All athletes in all sports are better with time (generally speaking). Baseball is no exception.

Im pretty sure Cy Young and Walter Johnson wouldnt be making AA in today's game.
    At their ability as they had in their era, perhaps, we donít know. Just like you donít know if they had all of the medical and research advances of todayís game that they would not be just as dominatin, perhaps even more so.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 07-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.

The 7 IP pitcher is becoming a thing of the past too.

Future Hall of Shamers:

There are quite a few hitters I watched as a younger kid I wished I was able to appreciate more and even more so pitchers now a days. I mean I watched and knew how special Randy Johnson, Pedro, Clemens, Maddux etcc.. were, but with how limited it seems pitchers are in longevity/endurance now a days allot more sets in with how good they were.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12