Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2018 offseason plan

hi everybody...i think it's time to start a an offseason thread because:
    1- our season is already ended
    2- there are a lot of (confirmed and not confirmed) rumors around our team
    3- less than 3 weeks to draft night (we have the 46th pick)

we show the world that gsw is beatable and we are the first contender: i don't want to talk about bad luck or refs, we lost and we have to be better next year.

cap situation:
    James Harden $30,421,854
    Ryan Anderson $20,421,546
    Eric Gordon $13,500,375
    P.J. Tucker (MLE)$7,969,537
    Nene Hilario $3,651,480
    Chinanu Onuaku $1,544,951
    Zhou Qi (MLE)$1,378,242

cap hold:
    Chris Paul $35,350,000
    Trevor Ariza $12,868,634
    Clint Capela $7,003,585
    Tarik Black $3,948,000
    Aaron Jackson $1,578,242
    Gerald Green $1,544,951
    Joe Johnson $1,544,951
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute $1,544,951
    Incomplete Roster Charge (5 spots) $4,159,635

Active Roster Cap $78,887,985
    Dead Money $122,741
    Cap Holds $69,542,949

Draft pick in 2018 nba draft: 46th pick from miami heat (via memphis)

MLE: 5.4 mln
    Non-Taxpayer variety: 8.8 mln

things to do:
    resing cp3
    resing capela
    resing green
    give away anderson contract

main target: lebron james, paul george

we also have the rights of spanish combo guard sergio llull and german big man isaiah hartenstein with a g-league contract

interesting FA: marco belinelli, danny green, ed davis

so, what do you think rockers will do, should do or would like to do?
    #RunAsOne

So, these are my thoughts:

Priorities:
    1. Re-sign Chris Paul. This is the absolute top priority. Everyone but he and Harden are expendable, but as we saw in Games 6 and 7, the team isn't remotely as dangerous without him.
    2. Re-sign Clint Capela. He's probably the third most important player on the team. While I don't think he's worth a max, as it has been floated out there, I don't think he's an easy guy to replace either.
    3. Try to pull off some magic to get Lebron or Paul George. I'd be willing to lose everyone but Harden, Paul and Capela to get Lebron or George on this roster. I'm not sure how Morey pulls that off, but it would certainly push Houston over the bar talent-wise to match the Warriors.
    4. Get rid of Ryno's contract. I'm not sure how Morey pulls this off, but their roster becomes a lot more flexible once he's gone. He was a total zero in the playoffs, and you can't pay $20M to a guy who provides literally nothing in the playoffs and expect to compete for a title every year. That being said, you don't give up assets just to trade him unless you have a guarantee that a third superstar is coming to Houston.
    5. Try to keep Mbah a Moute and Green, and add 1-2 other reliable shooters. This team would have been even more dangerous in the postseason had Mbah a Moute's shoulder been healthy. And if they need to lose Ariza, he's the obvious guy to replace him. More than anything, though, the Rockets need to add reliable shooters to the roster. If they hit their 3s in Games 6 and 7, they'd be in the Finals right now. Green is a relative low-risk re-signing, but I'd like to add at least one more guy like that.

Expendable:
    1. Trevor Ariza. I love Ariza, but the guy was just so underwhelming in the playoffs (yet again), and I don't think he's worth the money he could feasibly get on the open market. If the Rockets can free up space to keep him without dipping too far into the luxury tax, I'd like to have him back. But if he has to go, I think they can find guys to replace him.
    2. Tarik Black. He barely saw the floor late in the season. If the Rockets just need a body to fill in during the regular season for when Nene is out, there's a ton of guys they could get.
    3. Ryan Anderson. I shouldn't really need to explain this one...
    4. Joe Johnson. Ditto...

Dream scenario:
    The Rockets pull off a miracle sign and trade deal with Cleveland for Gordon, Anderson, two unprotected firsts and maybe 1-2 other pieces to get Lebron. They re-sign Paul and Capela, but Ariza inevitably signs elsewhere. They keep Mbah a Moute and Green at reasonable contracts and add 1-2 more quality veterans to fill out the rotation.

More likely Plan B scenario:
    The Rockets keep the core together and re-sign Paul, Capela and Ariza. Morey tries to unload Ryno but doesn't find any takers who don't want other key players like Gordon and Tucker in return. Lebron opts for Cleveland or LA, and Morey opts against completely blowing up the roster to try to get anyone else in free agency. He is, however, able to keep Mbah a Moute and Green at vet minimum deals and is able to add one other rotational shooter via the MLE or trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

I don't think Morey will be able to get rid of Ryno at this point. I also don't know if re-signing Clint is a "priority". I say that because Morey is obsessed with beating the Warriors, and Capela wasn't much help in that regard. If the goal is to still beat the Warriors, then Capela is expendable. If it's to beat all 29 teams in the NBA, re-signing Capela is a priority.

I expect Ariza back, but at a discount.

But at the end of the day, the offseason plan is LeBron and not much else. Paul George would also be an incredible fit on Houston.

The Rockets will not go into next season with the same team for sure. Morey's not that type of GM.

You really wouldn't be willing to lose Capela for LeBron or George?
    Last edited by Driven; 06-06-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I don't think Morey will be able to get rid of Ryno at this point. I also don't know if re-signing Clint is a "priority". I say that because Morey is obsessed with beating the Warriors, and Capela wasn't much help in that regard. If the goal is to still beat the Warriors, then Capela is expendable. If it's to beat all 29 teams in the NBA, re-signing Capela is a priority.

I expect Ariza back, but at a discount.

But at the end of the day, the offseason plan is LeBron and not much else. Paul George would also be an incredible fit on Houston.

The Rockets will not go into next season with the same team for sure. Morey's not that type of GM.

You really wouldn't be willing to lose Capela for LeBron or George?
    It's not that I wouldn't be willing to lose Capela for Lebron or PG. It's that I don't think they have to lose him to still add one of those guys. If keeping or losing Capela was the difference between adding a third superstar, then I'd support it in a heartbeat. But his cap hold isn't huge, he's a restricted free agent and they can go over the cap to sign him, so why wouldn't keeping him be a priority?

Also, I think the Warriors' series was still a small sample size and Capela is still growing as a player. If he continues to progress at the pace he is now, he might be an even bigger threat next season and the Rockets might find other ways to use him offensively.

As for Ryno and Ariza, I generally agree. But it all kind of boils down to what stars want to play in Houston. If Lebron or George decide they want to play here next season, then Morey will find a way to make it happen. And both of those guys could be gone since they're both pretty big obstacles to signing one of those guys outright unless Cleveland or OKC would be interested in a sign and trade. Also, if the Rockets give Paul his massive deal and give Capela a big contract, but don't be surprised if Ariza or Ryno end up being cap casualties to keep the luxury tax payments lower.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...125639461.html

I think Paul George will be a better fit. An 3 & D player upgrade over Ariza who can play Power Forward if we go small ball. Plus he still in his prime.

LeBron is a great player (one of the greatest) but he got a lot miles on him. Next season will be Lebron 16th season, he can only fight Father Time for so long.

The Rockets got a track record for getting NBA stars with a lot mileage on them.
    Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Tracy McGrady, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Glen Rice, Scottie Pippen, etc.

It will be tragic to get Bron just to have him and CP3 out in the post season. Also when CP3 retires, Harden and PG can still be a solid core to attract another star player to keep us from rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post

I think Paul George will be a better fit. An 3 & D player upgrade over Ariza who can play Power Forward if we go small ball. Plus he still in his prime.

LeBron is a great player (one of the greatest) but he got a lot miles on him. Next season will be Lebron 16th season, he can only fight Father Time for so long.

The Rockets got a track record for getting NBA stars with a lot mileage on them.
    Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, Tracy McGrady, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Glen Rice, Scottie Pippen, etc.

It will be tragic to get Bron just to have him and CP3 out in the post season. Also when CP3 retires, Harden and PG can still be a solid core to attract another star player to keep us from rebuilding.
    I actually think that, given their previous injury histories, it's more likely that George would be hurt over the next 2-3 years than Lebron would be. Also, if the Rockets are going to give Chris Paul all that money, then there window to win is RIGHT NOW. I love CP3, but he could wake up one day and just be a complete shell of himself. If Morey is going to pay all that money to get him, he needs to maximize the talent around him while he still has prime CP3.

I really like Paul George, but Lebron is a superior player at pretty much everything. And if Lebron James comes for a visit this summer and says "I'd like to be a Rocket next season," you can bet that Morey won't be returning any calls for George over the next few days.

exactly, but i think that there's no comparison between lbj's health and cp3's! of course the king will turn 34 this year and he has at least 2 to 4 seasons to play at a great level (like kobe did before that bad injury)! Pg is probably the best choise for the future of the team: younger, less expansive, easier to land and definitely a better fit.

i think these are speculation: cp3 accepted to take less just to join us...and rockets arrived to 1w from the finals.
    than many sources sayd he started recruting lbj because he wanna win! cp3 is not a stupid, he earned a lot of money in his career till now but he never played an nba finals and he is 33 this year: in your opinion will he pretend a full max contract instead accept a discount if this means have another star player on the roster and increase the possibility to put a ring on his finger?
    i don't know exactly all the terms of an nba contract, but in europe (in sport like football...soccer for the american friends) some teams choose to pay cheaper contracts to the players instead of use him for some sponsor spots and let the sponsor pay him: if this is possibile in nba too, it should be a possibility.

I think it's pretty much expected that CP3 will get the max. Not too surprised. Houston seems to want to take care of him.

As for Chris Paul's salary, I think a lot of it depends on the Rockets' offseason plans. If Morey wields his magic wand and pulls off something to get a third superstar here, but it requires Paul taking a slight discount (like maybe $10 million less over the entire contract), I think CP3 would agree to that.

But I also don't expect Paul to take a massive discount like Durant did last summer. This is his last big deal, he's got a family and he wants to get that last big payday. The question is just whether or not he gets a full max or something just slightly less that's still an obscene amount of money.

Also, if you're Morey, you have to do it. The team came way too damn close to the championship to not give it another shot. And given Paul's skillset, it's not ridiculous to think he could play at this level another 3-4 years before a huge dropoff. He may only give them 55-60 games a season plus the playoffs, but for that level of play, he's worth a max contract come playoff time.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but if you're in the "let's get Lebron!" camp, you might be excited to know what the Vegas odds are right now on his potential destinations this summer:

Houston Rockets +140
    Philadelphia 76ers +350
    Cleveland Cavaliers +350
    Los Angeles Lakers +350
    San Antonio Spurs +1200
    Golden State Warriors +1600
    Los Angeles Clippers +1800
    Miami Heat +2500

Oh, who am I kidding? My hopes were up the second Houston was mentioned as a possible destination like six months ago. I don't care what it takes! Get it done, Morey!

I say go all in on Lebron. You can dump Ryno's contract if you have to, just at a cost. You can win it all right now, giving up multiple 1st rounders would be worth it. That cost was too high before, but if Lebron is a possibility then you do it
    ďToday, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!Ē - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

It makes a lot of sense for lebron to sign with the rockets. Thatís why theyíre so much in the conversation. The other three teams that are in the conversation all make a lot more sense financially and the way they are built. The rockets make a lot of sense for him because of the personnel involved at every level, from the owner to the gm to the coach to the players. And itís just the team with the best record that he can go to. The one closest to the finals at the moment.

That doesnít mean he will sign with Houston. A lot of things need to go right. But I think they have a good shot because with them itís more about salary cap space for the other teams.

I also think chris Paul having a great season and fitting in seamlessly when most thought he wouldnít makes the rockets very attractive as well. Thereís smart people on this organization

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...in-fa.amp.html

Trevor Ariza is a respected Rocket to me but if he does this, Iíll lose a lot respect for this guy.

Even though itís just a rumor/speculation but the thought of it just sickens me lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...th-la.amp.html

Iím always flattered when a good player has the Rockets on their wishlist but I want no parts of him right now.

Thanks but no thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast