Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team would win in a 7 game series?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Rosh

10 58.82%
  • Scottish Highlanders

5 29.41%
  • GMs vote here.

2 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA All-Time Redraft Playoffs 1st Round (Team Rosh v Scottish Highlanders)

Every year Members of PSD participate in a draft of all players all-time in an attempt to make the best team possible and win in a playoff determined by fellow members of PSD.

This years rules included being able to only start 2 players from the 00's and 1 from the 70's and earlier.

Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 game series. The top team has home-court advantage for this series.

Team Rosh - Homecourt Advantage

C: Shaquille O'Neal (34) | Wes Unseld (10) | Mychal Thompson (4)
    PF: Wes Unseld (20) | Robert Horry (28)
    SF: Grant Hill (34) | Stephen Jackson (14) | Cedric Maxwell
    SG: Sidney Moncrief (33) | Kyrie irving (13)
    PG: Kyrie Irving (20) | Deron Williams (28)

v

Scottish Highlanders

PG: Chris Paul - Isaiah Thomas
    SG: David Thompson - Avery Bradley
    SF: Dale Ellis - Gerald Wallace
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Dan Issel
    C: Robert Parish - Arvydas Sabonis

I have big boy Robert Parish who guarded the elite centers of the 80s and 90s going up against Shaq. Honestly, Parish should be able to handle him one one one which allows me to play everyone else. CP3 guardings Irving, and CP3 is one of the best defensive points of all time. I have Thompson guarding Moncrief most of the time on the floor, with Bradley taking turns on Irving and Squid. Dale Ellis guarding Grant Hill will be difficult, but I have Gerald Wallace to come in off the bench.

I don't see their offense works though. My team has a clear functioning offense, with CP3 running the show, Dirk as the pick and roll/pick and pop big that spaces the floor, Thompson as a secondary ball-handler, and Ellis a pure sniper from deep that doesn't demand the ball to be effective. Parish is a great low-post scorer too.

Their offense has a ball-hog in Irving taking the ball from the more efficient playmakers. And then there is Shaq, who will slow everything down. My team will be able to push the ball up the floor and play a fast paced game. To me, this will come down to the more efficient of the 2 offenses as neither teams defense is superb.

CP3's prime of 4 years he posted a 124 ORtg, 58.5ts%, 26.8 PER, 0.259 WS/48, 7.3 OBPM, 27.7 VORP.
    Irving's prime of 4 years he posted a 115 ORtg, 58.1ts%, 22.4 PER, 0.180 WS/48, 4.9 OBPM, 12.1 VORP.

Paul, clearly more efficient.

Thompson's prime of 4 years he posted a 115 ORtg, 57.1ts%, 21.0 PER, 0.185 WS/48, 4.0 OBPM, 14.6 VORP
    Squid's prime of 4 years he posted a 120 ORtg, 59.0ts%, 20.6 PER, 0.211 WS/48, 4.2 OBPM, 20.8 VORP

Squid is clearly more efficient.

Ellis' prime of 4 years he posted a 118 ORtg, 58.3ts%, 19.3 PER, 0.153 WS/48, 4.5 OBPM, 12.4 VORP
    Hill's prime of 4 years he posted a 108 ORtg, 53.9ts%, 22.7 PER, 0.182 WS/48, 3.0 OBPM, 23.1 VORP

Ellis is the moree efficient offensive scorer here. Hill is a better offensive player overall with his playmaking ability, however he won't have the ball because of Irving's ISO game and Shaq's ISO game, so give me Ellis in this offensive matchup.

Dirk's prime of 4 years he posted a 121 ORtg, 58.9ts%, 26.6 PER, 0.256 WS/48, 4.9 OBPM, and 23.0 VORP
    Unseld's prime of 4 years he posted a __ ORtg, 53.4ts%, 17.6 PER, 0.155 WS/48, ___ OBPM, and ___ VORP.
    * For unseld, his prime years don't list the ___ numbers. For the 4 best seasons we have those available, he posted a 113 ORtg, a 1.1 OBPM, and a 18.3 VORP.

There is no question who is the better offensive player here. It's Dirk, and by a mile.

Parish's prime of 4 years he posted a 114 ORtg, 57.9ts%, 22.3 PER, 0.200 WS/48, 2.0 OBPM, and 14.4 VORP
    Shaq's prime of 4 years he posted a 115 ORtg, 58.1ts%, 30.3 PER, 0.262 WS/48, 5.9 OBPM, and 25.3 VORP.

Shaq is definitely the best offensive player between him and Parish.

On top of all of this, Unseld is a 6'7 center that is playing next to Shaq. Hill is a drive and kick penetrator that won't have the ball. Squid is a penetrator. Shaq clogs the lane with Unseld. Irving is their only good 3 point shooter. Their team will be easy to defend in the half-court because they have only 1 shooter who demands the ball and is otherwise limited offensively.

So let's look at one more thing here. Which offense collectively is better? An offense that has 3 snipers (CP3, Ellis, Dirk) spacing the floor and a behemoth in the paint collecting boards, with a true secondary ball-handler in David Thompson that averaged nearly 26ppg? An offense that is based around their 2 most efficient offensive players?

Or, is it an offense with 4 players crowding the paint, with one of them playing the more inefficient back to the basket game with limited ball-movement and their best 3 point shooter actually being on the ball most of the time as the premier perimeter ball-handler?

Honestly guys. They have atough team. But they are also playing Robert Horry 28 minutes a game! They're choosing to play a 12th man in an all-time redraft game nearly teh same amount of minutes as Wes Unseld. THat doesn't make any sense. THey don't even have a true backup shooting guard.

Their rotation is a mess, their lineup construction is a mess, and they will be clogging the lane making it easier to defend.

Scottish Highlanders in 6.

I like highlanders a lot. Interesting rosh has Horry and Sjax for Dirk. Almost fell *** backward into that dream defensive combo.

Kristaps Porzingis
    Stronger than most 15 year old girls.

• Shaq vs Robert Parish aka "Slim" - Shaq in his prime was virtually unarguable and I don't see an answer for Shaq on Shammy's roster. Shaq has an absurd 95 pound advantage on Parish, he just wouldn't be a match in the post. Sure, Parish played against top centers like Moses, Hakeem, and KAJ but those guys are finesse bigs in the post. Shaq's strength advantage is a huge problem in this series. And when Parish inevitably gets in foul trouble, Sabonis won't have much of a shot of stopping him (https://www.basketball-reference.com...01&idx=players)

• Wings Matchup - Moncrief and Hill are extremely efficient and tough two way players while Thompson and Dale Ellis are very effective scorers who struggle on D. The Highlanders are asking far too much of Parish and Ellis to stop Shaq and Hill (6 APG) in a two man pick and roll game. Both of these guys have huge advantages one on one. Moncrief, who averaged 21.1 PPG, 4.4 APG (another quality passer) on , should find alot of shooting room and cutting space versus Thompson, a mediocre defender.

• Countering CP3 - Obviously CP has an advantage versus Kyrie. But Kyrie hasn't faired poorly versus CP3 in their 9 career matchups, averaging 19.7 PPG with a TS% of 55% and 3P% of 43% while CP3 averaged 16.6 PPg with a TS% 54% and 10.8 APG. Kyrie will also see some time on Thompson while DPOYx2 Moncrief hounds CP3. Although Kyrie versus Thompson is in their favor, we'd rather them run their offense through Thompson while neutralizing CP3.

• Kyrie's Fit - Kyrie has shown to be able to score on catch and shoots and on isos in the biggest situations. He hit the biggest shot of the finals versus the unanimous MVP and arguably outplayed him in the finals. He's the kind of player who ups his game in the biggest moments and in the playoffs. And he fits well in his roll as a secondary ball handler while spotting up from three on catch and shoots and off-ball screens by Unseld.

• Horry Closing - Robert Horry will be part of the closing lineup. He's another proven player in his role as a spread big man who can defend. Being able to throw Horry, Jackson, Hill in stints at Dirk should give Dirk some fits. Horry also is a proven floor spacer and big time shooter. Kyrie, Horry, and Moncrief are all plus perimeter shooters giving Hill and Shaq some space to operate.
    Last edited by roshan3ai; 06-04-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Wow, people are giving Shaq a LOT of credit here when shammy's team seems incredibly well-constructed. And who do you put the 6'7" Unseld on? You almost can't put him on Dirk, but you also can't move Shaq from under the basket, so where is he going to play? As much as Shaq on Parrish is a decent mismatch, that seems like the far greater mismatch for me.

A 6'7" center on one of the most skilled 7-foot power forwards of all-time seems like a terrible matchup. And I think it's pretty obvious why Rosh avoided bringing that up in his writeup...

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Wow, people are giving Shaq a LOT of credit here when shammy's team seems incredibly well-constructed. And who do you put the 6'7" Unseld on? You almost can't put him on Dirk, but you also can't move Shaq from under the basket, so where is he going to play? As much as Shaq on Parrish is a decent mismatch, that seems like the far greater mismatch for me.

A 6'7" center on one of the most skilled 7-foot power forwards of all-time seems like a terrible matchup. And I think it's pretty obvious why Rosh avoided bringing that up in his writeup...
    I don't get it either

I think you're seriously under estimating what it was like to play unseld. Much taller players, and Kareem even, talked about what a grueling ordeal it was to play unseld.

There are no stats for "boxing out" guys really hard and literally driving them out of the play. No stats for denials or pass outs. Yeah dirk will shoot over him plenty still. Simply too good to stop like a first round kinda guy. but it won't be from where he wants to shoot it from. And he's going to be beat up by the fourth.

Shaq will get where he wants when he wants right? Parish was a tactician and technique guy as much as anything. Bodes well for shaq.

I don't like Kyrie starting though. Hits some big shots but he didn't have to take that shot, so I wonder if he's going to take more shots than the rest of the team would like. Or Horry as a serious go to offense to close. He's basically a jug machine offensively on these courts. Just my thoughts so far.
    Last edited by Dunkapolooza; 06-06-2018 at 05:42 AM.

I also don't think Ellis, dirk, parish seems all that gritty. Or "strong.
    ". Thompson being undersized to only makes it worse.

Am I the only one that thinks prime Deron Williams is a better player than prime Kyrie?

I think the Highlanders are a much better basketball team than Team Rosh, but they cannot overcome this matchup. Things like this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkapolooza View Post
    I also don't think Ellis, dirk, parish seems all that gritty. Or "strong.
    ". Thompson being undersized to only makes it worse.
    Thompson is 6'4. Is Wade undersized at 6'4? Is Squid undersized at 6'3 then

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    I think the Highlanders are a much better basketball team than Team Rosh, but they cannot overcome this matchup. Things like this happen.
    I honestly don't see it though. 4 of the 5 guys do their damage within 10 feet. They have 3 guys that play best with the ball in their hand during ISO situations.

Their offense just doesnt fit at all, making it super easy to defend

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkapolooza View Post
    I think you're seriously under estimating what it was like to play unseld. Much taller players, and Kareem even, talked about what a grueling ordeal it was to play unseld.

There are no stats for "boxing out" guys really hard and literally driving them out of the play. No stats for denials or pass outs. Yeah dirk will shoot over him plenty still. Simply too good to stop like a first round kinda guy. but it won't be from where he wants to shoot it from. And he's going to be beat up by the fourth.

Shaq will get where he wants when he wants right? Parish was a tactician and technique guy as much as anything. Bodes well for shaq.

I don't like Kyrie starting though. Hits some big shots but he didn't have to take that shot, so I wonder if he's going to take more shots than the rest of the team would like. Or Horry as a serious go to offense to close. He's basically a jug machine offensively on these courts. Just my thoughts so far.
    Against a more traditional big man, Unseld would be fine. But it's very different playing big, plodding 6'10" guys and keeping them out of the paint than playing an athletic 7-footer like Dirk who can score anywhere on the floor. Kareem was great, but he wasn't going to take you off the dribble 25 feet from the basket or pull up to hit a 23-footer. Unseld is a bad matchup for Dirk. Period.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 06-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Bucks vs raptors in the ECF. Mark my words.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Against a more traditional big man, Unseld would be fine. But tt's very different playing big, plodding 6'10" guys and keeping them out of the paint than playing an athletic 7-footer like Dirk who can score anywhere on the floor. Kareem was great, but he wasn't going to take you off the dribble 25 feet from the basket or pull up to hit a 23-footer. Unseld is a bad matchup for Dirk. Period.
    Thanks for understanding thst. Honestly Dirk is arguably better than Shaq offensively, and considering my offense is designed to maximize that and his is designed to hinder Shaq's, this is a shock to me that im not just losing but losing by a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    I honestly don't see it though. 4 of the 5 guys do their damage within 10 feet. They have 3 guys that play best with the ball in their hand during ISO situations.

Their offense just doesnt fit at all, making it super easy to defend
    I'll be honest and say that I don't really like that team. It's not a Shaq team, but no one can say that it's not a talented team. They lack depth, they don't have much flexibility but the problem your team has is what mine has in the my corresponding matchup. It simply cannot defend them. It's overwhelming offense and Parish is your best shot stopper but Shaq would run circles around him. If it was anyone other than Shaq you could argue that they're not that good a team, but that center matchup kills your chances.

Your team is great offensively as well, probably more complete overall, but at the end of the day, they'll get easier baskets than you and that's the catalyst.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast