1 20.00%
  • Glover getting old

1 20.00%
  • Stafford not showing up when he's needed most

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: 2018 scapegoat

2018 scapegoat

So what's it going to be this year? I'm all for blind optimism & endless hope doused in kool-aid. But as a realist, a 4 win season would not shock me in the least. This is the Detroit Lions.

So....IF WE WERE to have another SOL season, what's going to be the "cause" this year?

Regression in our better defensive players (Quin looking at you namely) and the defensive players drafted not making the step up they should to contribute (Davis, Robinson, and Tabor).

3. 06-03-2018, 01:33 PM
    Reason
    Off topic, baiting

probably Patricia and/or the D line

I'm actually curious who catches the blame on that one, if the line is brutal, do the players get the blame, the coach, or the guy who assembled the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    probably Patricia and/or the D line

I'm actually curious who catches the blame on that one, if the line is brutal, do the players get the blame, the coach, or the guy assembled the roster?
    If itís the d-line, then itís 100% on Quinn. Thatís been one of the biggest weaknesses since he got here and he practically ignored this off-season.

what will every one say? or what will be the real reason?

Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner

Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    what will every one say? or what will be the real reason?
    what will everyone say

I think Ziggy will get a ton of slack from the fans. Much like Ebron, he hasn't lived up to his draft day hype & is due for a big raise.

Unfortunately, I just dont see any magical leaps for the D-Line wth the personnel that were left with. A new DC, new HC and no difference makers added to the biggest weaknesses on the roster, will leave fans looking for answers.

And as we've already seen, BQ can do no wrong in the eyes of a lot of fans. All the anger will get thrown at Ziggy and his upcoming contract. He'll go Cliff Avril on us and win a ring with someone else.

JBC...if the offense isn't a well-oiled machine when it comes to passing & running we will blame Cooter and he'll get canned in the offseason and then the blame moves on to someone else

👑
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    and Syracuse has sucked for years
    Wish my wife's name was Syracuse.

pretyy much ever one but stafford will get the blame.. cooter might not make it till the end of the season if it comes of the rails enough

stafford is the one consent we have and well.. we keep blameing other things

Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 #22 winner

Refs are always a reason we lose, so I won't count them out. But TBH it seems that when we lose, it is generally the coaches fault...so I'll go with that.

1) we win waaaay more than 4 games.
    2) the close ones we lose will be because we are unable to get pressure on the QB.
    3) as for the the overall scapegoat should we not make the playoffs? Iíd say itíll be because we donít have Patriciaís denfensive personnel in place & May take a couple of years.
    ^^ Our 27th Savior ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

To me, it's a big year for Jimmy Bobby Cooter. He's shown flashes that he can be a great OC. He's been fantastic for Stafford. But he's also had a stagnant offense way too many times. He's at his best when he opens up the offense, and let's Stafford throw. I hope they don't try a similar strategy for the running game next year. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The offense can be greatly improved last year, even with Willson at TE instead of Ebron. The line has a great chance to be very strong. They have three backs they can utilize now and three WR they can utilize greatly (TJ Jones ain't half bad either), even if there isn't a true #1 in either group. I'd like to see a versatile offense. I also hope they utilize Riddick better this year.

A good offense that can manage the clock can help a bad defense. I think the Lions are good enough in the secondary and even at DE, but the DT and linebacker situation really worry me.
    Last edited by Driven; 06-12-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    To me, it's a big year for Jimmy Bobby Cooter. He's shown flashes that he can be a great OC. He's been fantastic for Stafford. But he's also had a stagnant offense way too many times. He's at his best when he opens up the offense, and let's Stafford throw. I hope they don't try a similar strategy for the running game next year. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The offense can be greatly improved last year, even with Willson at TE instead of Ebron. The line has a great chance to be very strong. They have three backs they can utilize now and three WR they can utilize greatly (TJ Jones ain't half bad either), even if there isn't a true #1 in either group. I'd like to see a versatile offense. I also hope they utilize Riddick better this year.

A good offense that can manage the clock can help a bad defense. I think the Lions are good enough in the secondary and even at DE, but the DT and linebacker situation really worry me.
    Yeah, I can agree here. JBC pretty much HAS to make this offense work. The offense isn't going to get much better from this year on unless they get some lucky late round draft picks/cheap reclamation projects. They've invested sizable money/high draft capital into every single position on the offense in recent years. Since his hiring, BQ has built an entire OL, signed a top WR, signed + drafted 2 starting RBs, drafted a WR in the top half of the draft, and swapped out starting TEs. BQ has essentially addressed every offensive position. Whether or not they all work out in the end, who knows, but the offensive talent is entirely in place, and much of it isn't going anywhere for a while. Considering what the defense has now/going forward in terms of talent + long term, it's logical to assume that there will be a heavy focus on the defensive talent in the next couple years. So if this offense doesn't cut it, JBC will get the blame. They can't have a repeat of last year's inefficiencies. This offense is going to have to carry a lackluster defense. We have to hope that our stud defensive players like Slay/Quin stay healthy + maintain their play previous years, if we lose one of them long term it'll be just like when we lost Levy or Suh, and then the pressure on the offense will soar. If we look at what I'd consider good offenses (talent + play calling), we face: GB X 2, MINN x 2, LAR, Carolina, Seattle and Dallas. Those are teams that've been good, or were good on offense within the last 2 seasons (accounting for injuries/suspensions in down years).Then we factor in that SF/Chicago x 2 could be teams that surprise offensively this season, there seems to be quite a few teams we might have to put up good offensive numbers against to make up for our defense. The offense is going to have a small margin for error this year considering some of the offenses they'll face. A repeat of last year's offense will have us 6-10 or worse.