Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Hard Cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    How about if you can waive players without counting them in the cap total.
    That would be pointless. It defeats the purpose of a hard cap.

City of Champions

I want to know where people come up with the $130mil cap number for a hard cap. There's only 3 teams spending over $130mil. Average is about $108mil.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Still not true. If the team wants them back they can move players to create the cap space. If the team doesn't deem them important enough to, I don't see how it's really different than now. But if LeBron wants $50M, It's likely that team will create the necessary cap space for him. If they don't, he can make $50M somewhere else. He'd only be losing money if he chose to. No different than now. KD took less because he wanted to go to GS

The hard cap isn't preventing anything in this scenario. The GM's management of his cap space is.

But they could be paid more, lots more, in a capped league. It's conceivable that if there was no max contract, LeBron would be making $50M a season.
    All you are addressing is the money, not the situations and advantages the players get now that would be lost in a hard cap league.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    All you are addressing is the money, not the situations and advantages the players get now that would be lost in a hard cap league.
    I've said it a few times now and everyone says it will never happen, but it's going to take a full season strike/lockout for a hard cap to hit.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I've said it a few times now and everyone says it will never happen, but it's going to take a full season strike/lockout for a hard cap to hit.
    I've been responding strictly from the perspective of the NBAPA. Do you feel like the NBA has the will to lockout for an entire season and lose like $8 billion plus alienate fans, to push for a hard cap? I don't particularly have an opinion on that.

I want to know where people come up with the $130mil cap number for a hard cap. There's only 3 teams spending over $130mil. Average is about $108mil.
    A cap is just a spending limit. Doesn't mean everyone has to spend up to it. I think $120-130M works. Players aren't going to accept a reduction in total money. So you couldn't make the cap less than the average

City of Champions

Money is the great equalizer. And I don't really see anything lost. Even the super teams now players are accepting less money to make it happen (LBJ and Bosh did in MIA, KD did in GS). So again, how's it any different. Same choice available. You can take max dollar or take less and join up with some friends.

City of Champions

I've been responding strictly from the perspective of the NBAPA. Do you feel like the NBA has the will to lockout for an entire season and lose like $8 billion plus alienate fans, to push for a hard cap? I don't particularly have an opinion on that.
    I don't think an entire season. Once guys start missing paychecks, the lower level guys, they start getting pretty loud in the ear of the guys representing them.

City of Champions

so what if you have 5 allstars who all take less to play with each other and they build a Super Team?

do we change the rules again?

No, which is why a hard cap will always be a pipe dream. It starts with the owners wanting it, of a groundswell of mid-level NBA players wanting it and pushing the star players who represent them to change it.

And the rank and file players won't change. For every super team created that's 2-3 other teams that have the ability to give a guy like Barnes, Whiteside, or Milsap a max or big contracts. So guys like that won't complain. The older vets won't complain because they keep getting jobs to be on the bench for these super teams.

So it's going to take the lower owners, and some teams that spend years upon years at the bottom to start to push other owners who haven't been in a deep playoff run in a long time to start the groundswell from their end that a hard cap will mean more teams in the championship series's, more potential champions, which means more invigorated fan bases, which would mean higher ratings, and higher TV contracts.

PROCESSING

I don't think an entire season. Once guys start missing paychecks, the lower level guys, they start getting pretty loud in the ear of the guys representing them.
    Nope because that already happened and they caved on what the top guys wanted. A higher max contract age, the super max, and the bigger maxes for older players.

PROCESSING

Nope because that already happened and they caved on what the top guys wanted. A higher max contract age, the super max, and the bigger maxes for older players.
    So they cant learn from past failures? They're just going to keep doing the same thing...A lot of the lower level players in the league were unhappy with the last CBA because really the top guys won, that's about it. Wait until this offseason when most of the FA money is dried up from the last 2 offseason when they had these huge salary cap number jumps. Guys who were good but not great were getting paid massive money. Now that's not going to happen this offseason, and the guys that missed out on it solely due to timing, are not going to be happy.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNpigeon View Post
    so what if you have 5 allstars who all take less to play with each other and they build a Super Team?

do we change the rules again?
    I'd be shocked if 5 guys are essentially going to take a 50+% cut in pay. 10-20% that's understandable, but 50-75%....No way.

City of Champions

So they cant learn from past failures? They're just going to keep doing the same thing...A lot of the lower level players in the league were unhappy with the last CBA because really the top guys won, that's about it. Wait until this offseason when most of the FA money is dried up from the last 2 offseason when they had these huge salary cap number jumps. Guys who were good but not great were getting paid massive money. Now that's not going to happen this offseason, and the guys that missed out on it solely due to timing, are not going to be happy.
    I've been saying that for a while. They needed to do the smoothing of the cap and they didn't. But that didn't have much to do with the CBA. The issue there was the cap smoothing was sold to rank and file as "owners want to withhold money from you", not "teams are going to spend a ton that year and have little left for later years".

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    I would kill to have that 3 to 5 league back
    That's so true. Just let everyone be a free agent and let the stars form their own 5 team super league. Let them play a schedule of 8 games and then playoffs. Everyone else to the g league earning their current salaries. Then warriors fans will complain life isn't fair.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast