Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 142

Thread: NBA Hard Cap?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    46,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    How is it going to be much harder for them? They're heads and tails above everyone else right now because of their top 4. Not because of their 5-8 guys.

    The goal with a hard cap is to spread talent around. This does not accomplish that. Look league wide. Nothing is really going to change

    HOU is going to exempt Harden and CP3. Their roster stays the same with room to add another guy.

    OKC could exempt Westbrook and PG13 and have room to add another guy.

    TOR can exempt Demare and Lowry and not have to move anyone

    NO can exempt Cousins and AD and add someone

    How is it changing anything other than giving teams opportunity to overpay depth pieces? All the top players are going to stay put. If that's what we want, just leave the soft cap.
    Houston: Would have spent $48,466,131; meaning that they would have $51.6 mil roughly, to try to retain Capela, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Tarik Black, Trevor Ariza, and Gerald Green. They would have 8 players, and 6 spots to fill. Say there's a team with an exempt spot and they offer Capela $20mil. The Rockets could bring him back, but that would leave $31mil for 5 spots. They aren't retaining Moute, Ariza, and bringing in 3 more players for $31 mil without sacrifices.

    OKC: If they put Brodie and PG13 as exempt players, they spent $81,485,361 on 8 other players. That's $18.5mil to spend on 4 players, with holes at PF and PG to fill out.

    TOR: Sure they are one of the few teams that actually make out great in this, as they would have about $32mil to spend on filling out 3 roster spots.

    NO: $25mil to try to retain Rondo, and 2 other roster spots.

    Don't like the +2 method, go with the +1 and a $120mil cap.

    PROCESSING

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Houston: Would have spent $48,466,131; meaning that they would have $51.6 mil roughly, to try to retain Capela, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Tarik Black, Trevor Ariza, and Gerald Green. They would have 8 players, and 6 spots to fill. Say there's a team with an exempt spot and they offer Capela $20mil. The Rockets could bring him back, but that would leave $31mil for 5 spots. They aren't retaining Moute, Ariza, and bringing in 3 more players for $31 mil without sacrifices.

    OKC: If they put Brodie and PG13 as exempt players, they spent $81,485,361 on 8 other players. That's $18.5mil to spend on 4 players, with holes at PF and PG to fill out.

    TOR: Sure they are one of the few teams that actually make out great in this, as they would have about $32mil to spend on filling out 3 roster spots.

    NO: $25mil to try to retain Rondo, and 2 other roster spots.

    Don't like the +2 method, go with the +1 and a $120mil cap.
    Why not just do a solid hard cap? It makes way more sense. You have the same budget as every team. Spend your money wisely.

    City of Champions

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    46,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Why not just do a solid hard cap? It makes way more sense. You have the same budget as every team. Spend your money wisely.
    Because I don't think NBA players will ever agree with that. And Owners will always want a way to keep their superstar.

    If you do no max and hard cap, and a team pays LeBron $60mil a year, they would have LeBron and a ****** team. But with an exempt, you actually have a chance at putting a team around that guy.

    PROCESSING

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,665
    In favor of a Hard Cap immediately!

    Also Crack Down on moving screens and traveling by adding an extra ref (that will be his main job...I don't care how many times he has to blow that whistle).

    And this is going to be out there lol.. But I don't like that players can foul out of a game. I rather when the player gets his/her 6 foul call, the other team gets two free throws and the ball out of bounds each time that player commits a foul.

    I never liked when Shaq had to sit down when he got two quick foul calls against him, in the 1st. Let the players which are the main product play.







    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,520
    Problem is to make a hard cap truly successful, you almost need non-guaranteed contracts. If you have guaranteed deals, a team can have 1 or 2 major injuries that basically lock them in with no opportunity to improve the team.

    And also having guaranteed contracts would almost certainly keep teams somewhat comfortably under the cap or encourage lots of 1 year deals. You basically always need to maintain financial flexibility, so very few teams would actually sign right up against the cap unless they have a couple deals expiring next offseason.

    I donít see this happening, but I would prefer the nba move to a hard cap situation with non-guaranteed deals and no max contracts. But at the end of the day, I donít see that happening and I donít think it actually helps parity that much. The nba still comes down to stars. So even if the hard cap were to remove Durant for example from GS, youíre still looking at Houston, Cleveland, GS and probably whatever team Durant is on at title contenders. Boston is maybe in the conversation, but a hard cap, especially when coupled with expansion, probably makes it harder for a team like Boston to compile of bunch of really, really good players. (And Boston might be unique, since some of their really good players are on rookie deals, but it might hurt that strategy all in all).

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    288
    Parity sucks.

    If you guys want parity put the names of all of the teams in a bowl and draw names to see who picks players first.

    Then put all of the players names in a bowl and let the above winning team draw the first player and so on.

    Redo this every year.

    Parity for you.

    Bad product for all.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,344
    Lord forgive we have some competition in the league. With good reffiing.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Then don't tell me the NBA cares about competition. They don't. Because if it did, you lower the cap and distribute the additional 30 mill per team evenly amongst the players. Otherwise the NBA is still just a 3-5 team league in which controversial officiating ultimately decides winners and losers.
    The NBA DOESN'T care about competition. They care about selling the product. But more than selling the product they are required to work out a CBA by the government, and the CBA includes a fixed money split, so the only way for that split to change is if the players association actually want to give the owners 25% of their money. There is NO way that happens.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    13,869
    If the NBA were to add a hard cap they could bring back a version of the Amnesty clause as to avoid issues with guaranteed deals bogging down teams with a hard cap. Still have to pay the player their remaining contract but no longer counts against the cap nor takes up the roster spot.

    Never Forget

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,957
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Wait what? You don't know how a hard cap would make a difference?

    If the Max stays in and you have a hard cap, then you would have to be really good about building the remainder of the roster. Say it's a $100mil hard cap, $25mil max. With $50mil you would have to fill out the other 13-ish spots. That's an average of $3.84mil per roster spot.
    Because it WON'T be a $100M cap, it will more likely be $130M+ because the CBA money split isn't going to go down.

    And it's more about how regardless of the rules the better run teams tend to win.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20,957
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    If the NBA were to add a hard cap they could bring back a version of the Amnesty clause as to avoid issues with guaranteed deals bogging down teams with a hard cap. Still have to pay the player their remaining contract but no longer counts against the cap nor takes up the roster spot.
    The players would have to give up guaranteed contracts for a hard cap.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gentrified Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,086
    Never going to happen.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    46,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Because it WON'T be a $100M cap, it will more likely be $130M+ because the CBA money split isn't going to go down.

    And it's more about how regardless of the rules the better run teams tend to win.
    The 'cap' this year was only about $101mil. Why would it jump that high if that's all the CBA covers?

    PROCESSING

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stumble Inn UES
    Posts
    5,929
    Hard cap + no max salary?

    I'd sign up for that.
    Go Knicks!

    All time

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Because I don't think NBA players will ever agree with that. And Owners will always want a way to keep their superstar.

    If you do no max and hard cap, and a team pays LeBron $60mil a year, they would have LeBron and a ****** team. But with an exempt, you actually have a chance at putting a team around that guy.
    I doubt LeBron would do it because he wouldn't want a **** team. So I disagree, I don't think that's true.

    City of Champions

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •