Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Hard Cap?

NBA Hard Cap?

Tonight during the Interview Silver talked about the colangelo thing and also about this

--When asked about the league's feelings on the same teams playing in the Finals for the fourth consecutive season, Silver pointed out that the Warriorsand Cavs have the two highest payrolls in the league at $137 million each. He went so far as to raise the specter of a hard salary cap like the NFL employs that could potentially even out the league's competitive balance.

Good or bad in your opinion?

Great idea

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Yeah let's lower the cap though to get salaries back in line and create more competition so teams can't afford 3 max players at current rates.

I'd be game if they set it at $100 mill

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    Yeah let's lower the cap though to get salaries back in line and create more competition so teams can't afford 3 max players at current rates.

I'd be game if they set it at $100 mill
    Hard cap is fine, I don't know that it would make a real competitive difference in the NBA.

It can't happen without a new CBA.

There is NO WAY the NBAPA allows the money split to go down on their side by 25%+ with a $100M hard cap. It would have to be around $130M to get the money split right to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Hard cap is fine, I don't know that it would make a real competitive difference in the NBA.

It can't happen without a new CBA.

There is NO WAY the NBAPA allows the money split to go down on their side by 25%+ with a $100M hard cap. It would have to be around $130M to get the money split right to start.
    Then don't tell me the NBA cares about competition. They don't. Because if it did, you lower the cap and distribute the additional 30 mill per team evenly amongst the players. Otherwise the NBA is still just a 3-5 team league in which controversial officiating ultimately decides winners and losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Wait what? You don't know how a hard cap would make a difference?

If the Max stays in and you have a hard cap, then you would have to be really good about building the remainder of the roster. Say it's a $100mil hard cap, $25mil max. With $50mil you would have to fill out the other 13-ish spots. That's an average of $3.84mil per roster spot.

PROCESSING

I've been advocating for a hard cap for years. It should be done, it will absolutely make the NBA more competitive. However, it's unlikely and much harder to work than the NFL because of fully guaranteed contracts and players will never give that up.

Obviously it would require a new CBA.

Here's how I would work it.

Hard cap of $120M
    Cap floor of $90M
    Get rid of MAX contracts - teams can pay however much they want for a players services.
    Instituting a hard cap removes all exceptions - except long term injuries

I would add 2 more teams which will help with the player shuffle for teams currently over the cap. This would also increase the total dollars for NBA players because you have 2 more full rosters to fill.
    Seattle and Vegas (Let's role with the tide here)

All fully guaranteed contracts in existence will not be touched, but more 2 way and partially guaranteed contracts will become more commonly practiced for non elite players.

When the 2 teams come in the league, every team can protect 5 players. The 2 expansion teams can pick off of all remaining players on the roster. Side deals allowed to help clear the books. So teams like CLE and GS that are currently over the hard cap could send draft picks along with a guy like Iguadala to the expansion team so they take him off their roster allowing them to reduce their cap.

City of Champions

I still advocate for the Hard Cap +1 or Hard Cap +2. Basically a hard cap with 1 or 2 players exempt from effecting your cap.

If the Warriors want to have KD and Steph as their cap exempt players they can pay them whatever they want, but they have $100mil with 13 spots to fill out. And with no max contracts, if Klay and Dray both get $20 mil contracts, it leave $60mil to pay 11 players.

Where the risk with that comes is say a team like Atlanta hasn't used any exempt spots, when Klay is a FA they (ATL) could offer Klay $40mil a year, which is something GSW couldn't offer.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    I've been advocating for a hard cap for years. It should be done, it will absolutely make the NBA more competitive. However, it's unlikely and much harder to work than the NFL because of fully guaranteed contracts and players will never give that up.

Hard cap of $120M
    Cap floor of $90M
    Get rid of MAX contracts - teams can pay however much they want for a players services.

I would add 2 more teams which will help with the player shuffle for teams currently over the cap. This would also increase the total dollars for NBA players because you have 2 more full rosters to fill.

All fully guaranteed contracts in existence will not be touched, but more 2 way and partially guaranteed contracts will become more commonly practiced for non elite players.

When the 2 teams come in the league, every team can protect 5 players. The 2 expansion teams can pick off of all remaining players on the roster. Side deals allowed to help clear the books. So teams like CLE and GS that are currently over the hard cap could send draft picks along with a guy like Iguadala to the expansion team so they take him off their roster allowing them to reduce their cap.
    Let's say hypothetically this happened this offseason. Here's how the league would need to respond

Teams in need of cutting cap
    CLE - Number includes LeBron, if he leaves they're fine, if he re-signs some combo of Hill, TT, JR, Clarkson goes
    OKC - Includes Melo and PG.
    TOR - 1 of Lowry, DeMare, Ibaka, Jonas has to go
    WAS - They could trade Mahnimi and Gortat to get under

Teams right up against the cap
    LAC
    DET
    MIN
    MIA
    CHA

Teams that would need to add payroll
    2 expansion teams - Thats' $180M minimum added
    LAL
    CHI
    DAL
    ATL
    PHI
    SAC
    BRK
    HOU

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I still advocate for the Hard Cap +1 or Hard Cap +2. Basically a hard cap with 1 or 2 players exempt from effecting your cap.

If the Warriors want to have KD and Steph as their cap exempt players they can pay them whatever they want, but they have $100mil with 13 spots to fill out. And with no max contracts, if Klay and Dray both get $20 mil contracts, it leave $60mil to pay 11 players.

Where the risk with that comes is say a team like Atlanta hasn't used any exempt spots, when Klay is a FA they (ATL) could offer Klay $40mil a year, which is something GSW couldn't offer.
    I don't see how this make the league any more competitive.

You want to prevent situations where 2 of the top 5 players are on the same team, not encourage it.

City of Champions

I don't see how this make the league any more competitive.

You want to prevent situations where 2 of the top 5 players are on the same team, not encourage it.
    but having a league were the 30 best players are on 30 different teams doesn't lead to a great situation either.

If 2 of the top 5 players chose to do that, that's fine. But it also means that there's a team with 2 open exempt spots to poach your other best players.

In the Warriors example let's say they get $100mil + 2. Curry and Durant get exempt. Based on $100mil hard cap, the remaining contracts would put them $7,461,207 over the cap with 7 players. So if they ditched say Iggy in this situation, they would be ~$6.5 mil under the cap with needing at least 4 players, and at most 7 players.

So even if they rocked with 12 players they would have:
    Curry - Livingston
    Klay - ($1mil player)
    Durant - Looney
    Green - Bell
    Jones - ($1mil player)
    Rookie Contract, and 1 more about $1.5mil player.

Yeah they get to keep their main 4 players, but the rest of that team is so dinged down to where an injury or foul trouble makes is much harder for them.

PROCESSING

Not sure it would fix the league, though it would be a start. Sounds like Silver is trying to cover his *** here bc of how many people are complaining about the same **** every year. Why did it take so damn long for this to come to realization? I'm not buying this till I see it though with freaky Silver at the top.
    Last edited by HandsOnTheWheel; 06-01-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    but having a league were the 30 best players are on 30 different teams doesn't lead to a great situation either.

If 2 of the top 5 players chose to do that, that's fine. But it also means that there's a team with 2 open exempt spots to poach your other best players.

In the Warriors example let's say they get $100mil + 2. Curry and Durant get exempt. Based on $100mil hard cap, the remaining contracts would put them $7,461,207 over the cap with 7 players. So if they ditched say Iggy in this situation, they would be ~$6.5 mil under the cap with needing at least 4 players, and at most 7 players.

So even if they rocked with 12 players they would have:
    Curry - Livingston
    Klay - ($1mil player)
    Durant - Looney
    Green - Bell
    Jones - ($1mil player)
    Rookie Contract, and 1 more about $1.5mil player.

Yeah they get to keep their main 4 players, but the rest of that team is so dinged down to where an injury or foul trouble makes is much harder for them.
    How is it going to be much harder for them? They're heads and tails above everyone else right now because of their top 4. Not because of their 5-8 guys.

The goal with a hard cap is to spread talent around. This does not accomplish that. Look league wide. Nothing is really going to change

HOU is going to exempt Harden and CP3. Their roster stays the same with room to add another guy.

OKC could exempt Westbrook and PG13 and have room to add another guy.

TOR can exempt Demare and Lowry and not have to move anyone

NO can exempt Cousins and AD and add someone

How is it changing anything other than giving teams opportunity to overpay depth pieces? All the top players are going to stay put. If that's what we want, just leave the soft cap.

City of Champions

Hard cap of $120M
    Cap floor of $90M

Like where this is going.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Like where this is going.
    Is that even a question? I don't even understand the point of this comment...

City of Champions

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast