Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MLB concerned with attendance, rise in strikeouts

NEW YORK ó Major League Baseball attendance is headed to its lowest average in 15 years. And itís not only because of the historically bad weather thatís plagued the first third of the season.

Strikeouts exceeded hits in a full calendar month for the first time in April and are on track to do so again in May. Five teams are on pace to lose 100 or more games in the same season for the first time.

Yet, there are trends Major League Baseball views as positive: New pace rules have cut the average time of a nine-inning game by five minutes, mound trips have dropped dramatically and home runs have receded from last yearís record level.

"Weíve got a long way to go," baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said. "Weíre relatively early in the season still and it has been an aberrational part of a season."

Heading into the weekend, the average attendance of 27,207 was down 6 per cent from 28,931 on the Friday before Memorial Day last season. Last yearís final average of 30,042 was the second straight drop, and if this seasonís trendline continues MLB would finish below 30,000 for the first time since the 2003 figure of 28,013.

Awful weather is part of the cause: There have been 35 postponements this year, four shy of last seasonís total. Manfred said 35 games that did go on were played in temperatures under 40 degrees at first pitch.

"The weather has been historically difficult for us," he said.

Yet, there are troublesome signs beyond the weather, related to a clubís competitiveness ó and perceptions of a teamís prospects heading into the season.

Among the teams experiencing drops in home average attendance compared with the day before the holiday weekend last year were Miami (21,641 to 10,603), Toronto (36,869 to 27,707), Baltimore (27,992 to 19,404), Detroit (27,699 to 19,837), Pittsburgh (23,727 to 16,497), Kansas City (26,154 to 19,757), the Chicago White Sox (20,864 to 15,987), Texas (31,940 to 27,198), Cincinnati (21,681 to 17,848) and Cleveland (20,780 to 17,630).

Teams with notable increases were World Series champion Houston (27,609 to 35,556), Milwaukee (28,346 to 32,353), the New York Yankees (36,280 to 40,271) and Arizona (22,649 to 25,638)
    At the same time, management worries about on-field trends, such as the rise in strikeouts.

There were 6,656 strikeouts and 6,360 hits in April, according to Elias. The previous low differential was in April 2017, when there were 138 more hits than strikeouts. Through Saturday, there were 5,882 strikeouts and 5,742 hits in May.

Average home runs per game, which rose to 2.31 in 2016 and a record 2.51 last season, have dropped to 2.26 from 2.43 at a similar point last year.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...se-strikeouts/

Seems like there's a lot of bad teams this year. Thoughts?

The Lost Boys of PSD

Clearly strikeouts should be removed from the game. Fans only want to see runs and dingers.

No strikeouts, no umpires, and no gratuitously violent assaults on the field will make baseball more family friendly, and a more wholesome entertainment for girls.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

To bad, so sad.

No "pace of play" tweaks nor any other similar idiotic changes will make people attend more games. Stick with the real issue in question: ticket and parking prices. If you keep allowing greedy owners to jack up prices, you're going to have fewer people showing up to the games. It's simple supply and demand.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

You guys wanna know the horrifying truth?

Or you wanna see me sock a few dingers?!?

Let's be honest here...baseball is a long and boring season. In today's fast paced world people just don't want to sit for 3 hours at a game.

Also, my biggest complaint is the stupid blackout rule. There have been probably 7-8 times I want to watch a non regional game only to have it be blacked out. Making those games more available for a casual fan could eventually help.

Baseball is very cyclical. Strike outs, home runs, etc all vary over the years, and it will continue to do so.

I do agree with the concern of growing strike outs becoming more common place and becoming a permanent thing.

But I think that will increase the value in guys that put balls in play over time. We entered this homer/K revolution when teams started to realize that guys like Dunn were more valuable offensively than Ichiro. The question is, can a guy like Ichiro ever become more valuable offensively than a Dunn outcome hitter again? Because Ichiro was more exciting to watch.

Bring the DH to the NL and strikeouts will decrease or the Mets should cut Reyes and again strikeouts will decrease.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Baseball is failing. Will probably will be dead within 10 years. You can blame Selig and Manfred for that.

It costs a ridiculous amount of money to attend a game, buy concessions, etc. What baseball owners should do is copy the concession model that the Atlanta Falcons have. They do not use a third party, and I remember reading an article that they made more profit by charging less and doing the work themselves instead of contracting it out. Second, there should be many more promotions to get people involved in buying smaller season ticket plans to get them coming out to games consistently. The Orioles also did a great job with their Kids Cheer Free program, where you can buy an adult ticket and get two for free for kids.

make the ball 2x bigger and throw underhanded....maybe that will help this poor hitters who get paid millions to hit a ball but cant
    ....coooookie

What's hurt attendance is also the high definition media in which people can watch games. Local tv ratings have been very good for most ML teams so its not like interest is dying. The thing is I can watch a game on my television that is a much better view than anything I can get in the ballpark unless i'm buying really good seats.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    Baseball is failing. Will probably will be dead within 10 years. You can blame Selig and Manfred for that.
    Cute joke

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I agree strikeouts are kind of annoying. But the teams in MLB essentially made this problem by making increasingly smaller ballparks. Home runs are always the best way to score runs and it didn't take sabremetrics to tell anyone this - they just used to be harder to get with bigger parks.

With all these short porches and small parks it was only a matter of time before amateur players began toying with their swings to get the uppercut (something that also has always existed) instead of line drive swings that stay through the zone longer and are better for contact. I am generally against all of these enlightened 'reforms' that MLB does but I wouldn't be opposed to amending ballpark minimum distances. It is kind of ridiculous how Dodger Stadium used to be almost middle of the pack and now it's an extreme pitcher's park.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Cute joke
    For once, I agree with you.

Walter White needs to go run a lap.

I'd also add that stiffening regulations on infield grass could be fun to look into as well. Something to prod teams into more hit and runs, steals, etc. I think everyone agrees 80s style baseball is better than 3-true-outcomes baseball, which is little more than home run derby for a lot of players.

I will say though that I do still enjoy baseball quite a bit. Fortunately the league's meddling doesn't have as much of an impact on the product as the NFL or NBA's do (they completely changed both sports).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast