Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Are you in Favor of an Automated Strike Zone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

5 33.33%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    you guys should get together and publish a manifesto

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I was going to reply to both posts that quoted my post above. But you did so quite eloquently and with more efficient use of your time and words.

I agree with Rush that it could be more accurate. But at the risk losing the game's "beauty". And you are correct, baseball's beauty lies in the history, glory, and aesthetics of everything it is, including its imperfections.

And you're dead on with your Google remarks as well. I absolutely refuse to (knowingly) use it. Making their pockets deeper, one search at a time. And you can add Wikipedia in there as well. The internet is now filled with (wiki)geniuses on every subject and issue thanks to them. Hey, why bother having to actually think if someone/something else can do it for you?

Let this younger generation have their digitalized world. Let them walk around glued to their phones, avoiding any personal social contact. It's like mankind's greatest achievement is that you can watch ****ing TV on your ****ing phone! Whoa, just how cool is that!!
    Thanks for the kind words, 24! The beauty of baseball is a matter of no small consequence. Though the hyper-analytically minded might scoff at that, we have to remember it's only because they don't understand it. Their minds don't work that way, and neither our's their way. And that's fine. It's just different.

Quote Originally Posted by ODB13 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, 24! The beauty of baseball is a matter of no small consequence. Though the hyper-analytically minded might scoff at that, we have to remember it's only because they don't understand it. Their minds don't work that way, and neither our's their way. And that's fine. It's just different.
    I've come to enjoy the analytic part of the game. Reluctantly at first, but learned a lot mostly from many of the guys on this forum. Some breakdowns and comparisons of numbers and stats are interesting as hell to me now, though I readily admit I don't understand all of it.

I grew up with the history of the game, had a book my dad bought me when I was a kid about the heroes and legends of the game. I love the aesthetic nuances of baseball, and will always have more interest in the players and personalities on the field than their numbers on the stat sheets. There's no need for fans to be so polarized about that, but then everything is polarized these days.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    I've come to enjoy the analytic part of the game. Reluctantly at first, but learned a lot mostly from many of the guys on this forum. Some breakdowns and comparisons of numbers and stats are interesting as hell to me now, though I readily admit I don't understand all of it.

I grew up with the history of the game, had a book my dad bought me when I was a kid about the heroes and legends of the game. I love the aesthetic nuances of baseball, and will always have more interest in the players and personalities on the field than their numbers on the stat sheets. There's no need for fans to be so polarized about that, but then everything is polarized these days.
    That's the sad truth, man. You're either with me or against me. What bothers me is when people assume their worldview is self-evident and that everyone should agree. It's possible to value different things.

I donít really see where there is an argument for aesthetics in balls/strikes. There may have been a time where waiting for the ump to call the ball or strike was part of the allure but that died when they put the strike zone on TV for everyone to see. It has stopped being about Maddux stretching the corners or Molina framing the low pitch because we can clearly see how the magic tricks are done. All we have now is umps looking stupid because we have the technology and they donít.

That's the sad truth, man. You're either with me or against me. What bothers me is when people assume their worldview is self-evident and that everyone should agree. It's possible to value different things.
    Cut it out.

It's not even about the human element it's about fairness in sports/games.

If the strike zone, which is a non moving target, can be analyzed with zero subjectivity, I don't understand how anyone could be against that. It's part of the game that has zero reason being subjective or an 'interpretation of a rule' like has been dealt with with catch vs non-catch in football.

The strike zone per player should be absolutely the same every time that player comes to bat. The ball did or didn't cross the strike zone. It seems pretty clear to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Also this 'beauty of the game' is such bull crap. I'm sorry, but I'd rather see the players themselves make mistakes over a 3rd party making a mistake that directly decides an outcome.

Baseball is just one of the sports that the beauty is in the clarity of it all. There's such designation on what everything is and what's what. Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest thing to do in all of sports and that itself is the beauty. Pitchers with completely different styles and arsenals are the beauty. Batters' stances. Fielders' slick gloves or even clumsiness in the field. Those are the beauties. I don't watch the game for the umps' mistakes. I watch the game because the sport of baseball is beautiful and is one of the only sports you can analyze a single player individually on every single play. It's such a simple yet intricate game all wrapped into one.

I want to watch the best players in the world play against each other in a game with zero subjectivity.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Leave the game the way it is! Thereís no need for robot umpires or players. It takes away the human element! Doing so would be moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    Leave the game the way it is! Thereís no need for robot umpires or players. It takes away the human element! Doing so would be moronic.
    What's the point of even having a strike zone then?

We should only have a strike be when a player swings and misses or fouls off the ball.

If a ball is right down the middle but the player doesn't swing, it should be a ball. Well, at least the umpire has the ability to call it a ball if he wants.

I actually want an umpire to only call balls one game. That'd sure humanize the game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    What's the point of even having a strike zone then?

We should only have a strike be when a player swings and misses or fouls off the ball.

If a ball is right down the middle but the player doesn't swing, it should be a ball. Well, at least the umpire has the ability to call it a ball if he wants.

I actually want an umpire to only call balls one game. That'd sure humanize the game!!!
    Get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by MJNetsIsles View Post
    Get lost.

Nice rebuttal.

Also this 'beauty of the game' is such bull crap. I'm sorry, but I'd rather see the players themselves make mistakes over a 3rd party making a mistake that directly decides an outcome.

Baseball is just one of the sports that the beauty is in the clarity of it all. There's such designation on what everything is and what's what. Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest thing to do in all of sports and that itself is the beauty. Pitchers with completely different styles and arsenals are the beauty. Batters' stances. Fielders' slick gloves or even clumsiness in the field. Those are the beauties. I don't watch the game for the umps' mistakes. I watch the game because the sport of baseball is beautiful and is one of the only sports you can analyze a single player individually on every single play. It's such a simple yet intricate game all wrapped into one.

I want to watch the best players in the world play against each other in a game with zero subjectivity.
    You find the beauty in the clarity. Others find the beauty in the aesthetics and abstractions and fallibility and chance. It is bull crap to you, but not to others. Be OK with differences! Makes for a better world.

You find the beauty in the clarity. Others find the beauty in the aesthetics and abstractions and fallibility and chance. It is bull crap to you, but not to others. Be OK with differences! Makes for a better world.
    What's in the beauty of a mistake though? I just don't understand what beauty is in an umpire making an incorrect call. Sure, your team can be on the winning and losing side of a call so I guess it could be a wash BUT why rely on that? Why rely on something fallible when you can make it as close to infallible as you can? This isn't like gambling where it's a roll of the dice and chance is based on luck more than skill; this is a situation where players are having their skills diminished/or even rendered obsolete by something completely out of their control? When you roll dice at a craps table, you know theirs luck and chance. You shouldn't have to go to a plate or be on a mound and pray that the spot of the ball is called correctly.

What's in the beauty of a mistake though? I just don't understand what beauty is in an umpire making an incorrect call. Sure, your team can be on the winning and losing side of a call so I guess it could be a wash BUT why rely on that? Why rely on something fallible when you can make it as close to infallible as you can? This isn't like gambling where it's a roll of the dice and chance is based on luck more than skill; this is a situation where players are having their skills diminished/or even rendered obsolete by something completely out of their control? When you roll dice at a craps table, you know theirs luck and chance. You shouldn't have to go to a plate or be on a mound and pray that the spot of the ball is called correctly.
    Not all of us are hyper obsessed with fairness, like a kindergarten class or a communist state. Some of us like the game the way it is, warts and all, because the warts are as deeply woven into the fabric of the national pasttime as anything. You can't talk us out of it with logic, because what we are discussing is aesthetics. We love the human fallibility of baseball and the beauty of the way its always been played. We fear that more and more reliance on technology will detract from these aspects, and we are merely pointing that out.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast