Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 111
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    I don't see a "special" player from the college ranks...I see very good players but not great. That's why a Gorman or Stewart or Kelenic makes some sense....I am not saying they have to do this or they will, but sometimes you have to roll the dice even this high in the draft.
    I agree with that analysis. With a high first round pick we would ideally like to get a player that will become a game changer, but there doesn't seem to be any college position players of that caliber in this Draft, at least none that jump out at you while looking at the player videos, scouting reports and the mock Drafts. The closest might be Bohm or perhaps Madrigal. Madrigal lacks power and has unproven arm strength so he may not be able to play on the Left side of the infield.

    So nothing wrong with looking at the prep players, mindful of the caveat that picking HS players is even more difficult but knowing that we might find a future All-Star there. I'll bet a player like Kelenic is not going to become another nothing Burgur.

    http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox...arred-kelenic/

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,454
    is beer still in play in the second round?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,677
    Somebody will jump on Beer,however, his defensive woes and slowness have dropped him. Many think DH is his calling...

    White Sox & Redskins Forever

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    214
    I believe Beer will be there at the 2nd pick...but i would not draft him there...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905
    Most recent mock Draft from Bleacher Report:
    2018 1st-Round MLB Mock Draft

    1. Detroit Tigers: Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
    2. San Francisco Giants: Joey Bart, C, Georgia Tech
    3. Philadelphia Phillies: Alec Bohm, 3B, Wichita State
    4. Chicago White Sox: Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
    5. Cincinnati Reds: Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State
    6. New York Mets: Jonathan India, 3B, Florida
    7. San Diego Padres: Ryan Weathers, LHP, Loretto HS (TN)
    8. Atlanta Braves: Nolan Gorman, 3B, O'Connor HS (AZ)
    9. Oakland Athletics: Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
    10. Pittsburgh Pirates: Matthew Liberatore, LHP, Mountain Ridge HS (AZ)
    11. Baltimore Orioles: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha HS (WI)
    12. Toronto Blue Jays: Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (CA)
    13. Miami Marlins: Connor Scott, OF, Plant HS (FL)
    14. Seattle Mariners: Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson
    15. Texas Rangers: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (FL)
    16. Tampa Bay Rays: Jordyn Adams, OF, Green Hope HS (NC)
    17. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Mason Denaburg, RHP, Merritt Island HS (FL)
    18. Kansas City Royals: Triston Casas, 3B/1B, American Heritage HS (FL)
    19. St. Louis Cardinals: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida
    20. Minnesota Twins: Ryan Rolison, LHP, Ole Miss
    21. Milwaukee Brewers: Trevor Larnach, OF, Oregon State
    22. Colorado Rockies: Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (GA)
    23. New York Yankees: Daniel Lynch, LHP, Virginia
    24. Chicago Cubs: Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA)

    Madrigal down to #5 on this Mock-up and we would get Singer in this scenario.
    Three third basemen in the top ten.
    Prep players in the top 25 that I'd love to have - Kelenic, Gorman and Brice Turang .....and the Cubs look like they may get one.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    Most recent mock Draft from Bleacher Report:
    2018 1st-Round MLB Mock Draft

    1. Detroit Tigers: Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
    2. San Francisco Giants: Joey Bart, C, Georgia Tech
    3. Philadelphia Phillies: Alec Bohm, 3B, Wichita State
    4. Chicago White Sox: Brady Singer, RHP, Florida
    5. Cincinnati Reds: Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State
    6. New York Mets: Jonathan India, 3B, Florida
    7. San Diego Padres: Ryan Weathers, LHP, Loretto HS (TN)
    8. Atlanta Braves: Nolan Gorman, 3B, O'Connor HS (AZ)
    9. Oakland Athletics: Travis Swaggerty, OF, South Alabama
    10. Pittsburgh Pirates: Matthew Liberatore, LHP, Mountain Ridge HS (AZ)
    11. Baltimore Orioles: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha HS (WI)
    12. Toronto Blue Jays: Cole Winn, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS (CA)
    13. Miami Marlins: Connor Scott, OF, Plant HS (FL)
    14. Seattle Mariners: Logan Gilbert, RHP, Stetson
    15. Texas Rangers: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (FL)
    16. Tampa Bay Rays: Jordyn Adams, OF, Green Hope HS (NC)
    17. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Mason Denaburg, RHP, Merritt Island HS (FL)
    18. Kansas City Royals: Triston Casas, 3B/1B, American Heritage HS (FL)
    19. St. Louis Cardinals: Jackson Kowar, RHP, Florida
    20. Minnesota Twins: Ryan Rolison, LHP, Ole Miss
    21. Milwaukee Brewers: Trevor Larnach, OF, Oregon State
    22. Colorado Rockies: Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central HS (GA)
    23. New York Yankees: Daniel Lynch, LHP, Virginia
    24. Chicago Cubs: Brice Turang, SS, Santiago HS (CA)

    Madrigal down to #5 on this Mock-up and we would get Singer in this scenario.
    Three third basemen in the top ten.
    Prep players in the top 25 that I'd love to have - Kelenic, Gorman and Brice Turang .....and the Cubs look like they may get one.
    If Singer is there I would take him..But i think he goes second to the giants..So i would go HS under slot.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Singer is my guy if he's available. He reminds me of Rodon in the sense that he was projected to go #1 and might fall and he's a guy that shouldn't take very long to get to the bigs. Plus I like the idea of stock piling young arms, the Sox will have a few trade chips to make a splash.

    2nd for me is Nick Madrigal, I like the hitting tools, looks like a future Dustin Pedroia/DJ Lamahieu. I think he could make the move to SS or Moncada could move to third base if the Sox don't address that position.

    If both Singer and Madrigal are gone im leaning towards Joey Bart or Matthew Liberatore. Third base could make sense in this scenario, but I'll take Bart at a more valuable position. Even with Collins there's nothing wrong with having another catcher prospect. Maybe they both pan out and you have an awesome catching duo. Liberatore looks like the best lefty pitcher in the draft. Most of the Sox top specs are righties so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a lefty arm if the Sox don't like any position players.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905
    I watched Florida on ESPN streaming tonight. Singer looked good but, I don't know, I just wasn't impressed with his stuff. Florida 3B Jonathon India hit a home run which did not hurt his chances of going in the top 10.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    I watched Florida on ESPN streaming tonight. Singer looked good but, I don't know, I just wasn't impressed with his stuff.
    Meh he hasn't pitched in nearly a month and went 7 innings of 1 run ball with 6Ks. Singer wouldn't be regarded as a top 5 pick if his stuff wasn't top tier. His fastball graded as a 65 and his curveball graded as a 60. People say if he can't make it as a starter he has closer capabilities which goes to show what people think of his stuff. I personally think he goes #2 to San Francisco but if he goes to Chicago I'll be just as excited as when Rodon fell to the Sox.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,340
    Today is a big day
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

    1981 Sting

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,340
    I personally want singer but have a feeling he may go to Philly. I like Madrigal, but can he really play SS?
    Nobody has them taking a high school kid, too much risk there so my best (uneducated) guess is that they take the 3B from Wichita State. That's all I got, we will know pretty soon.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

    1981 Sting

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    8,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Capital G View Post
    is beer still in play in the second round?
    I saw him mocked to the Sox somewhere
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

    1981 Sting

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    905
    It looks like Singer from what I am reading now. I just don't like that pick or that pitcher.
    Here is why:
    1. I don't think he has overwhelming stuff even against college hitters from watching videos and watching him pitch his last game.
    2. His pitching mechanic pose some concern for possible injury, i.e..,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf90rvaFsqU
    3. I watched a video of an expletive filled tirade by him on the field when a game was called because of rain. Some took it like it was a positive about his desire to stay and pitch. I thought it was unexpected and unusual...perhaps a sign that he has some issues with his temperament.
    Hope I'm wrong and he is another Chris Sale and Kelenic is not another Andrew Benintendi, which I think he has a chance to become.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    It looks like Singer from what I am reading now. I just don't like that pick or that pitcher.
    Here is why:
    1. I don't think he has overwhelming stuff even against college hitters from watching videos and watching him pitch his last game.
    2. His pitching mechanic pose some concern for possible injury, i.e..,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf90rvaFsqU
    3. I watched a video of an expletive filled tirade by him on the field when a game was called because of rain. Some took it like it was a positive about his desire to stay and pitch. I thought it was unexpected and unusual...perhaps a sign that he has some issues with his temperament.
    Hope I'm wrong and he is another Chris Sale and Kelenic is not another Andrew Benintendi, which I think he has a chance to become.
    As far as Singer goes....I am going off last years performances. He's fastball had late life and his slider was wipe out. I haven't seen him this year tho,except for a couple of highlights... I have read that this year was a touch less then last year from scouting reports...

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    214
    So that's why I have been preaching under slot...My first choice is Stewart, followed by Gorman ,and then Kellenic.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •