Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108
Results 1,606 to 1,618 of 1618
    I think it's a bit stubborn to say we should only pursue "ace" pitchers. That's obviously the want and probably need. But as a WS contending team any marginal improvement helps. We made it to game 7 of the ALCS last year with Sevy/Tanaka/CC as our top 3. We actually won a game started by Gray against HOU too. Who knows... maybe in a 7 game ALCS or WS the difference could be that Gray/German/etc. get shelled and cost us a game rather than someone like Happ who just pitches solid and keeps us in it. That marginal improvement could literally be the difference between winning it all and not.

Now, that's not to say you throw all long-term logic out the window and sell out for a "meh" pitcher. Not saying that at all. But at a cost that makes sense a marginal upgrade is nothing to scoff at. People here don't even want to have a conversation about anyone who isn't an ace and reality is that it's unlikely one gets moved.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Dark Knight 3.2 inn, 8 earned runs today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Based on my extensive Sabremetrics knowledge, thatís not good.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Dark Knight 3.2 inn, 8 earned runs today.

another one bite the dust

it's incredible how much of a jinx this board is

hopefully the yankee target jinx applies to degrom tonight
    Last edited by pinstripezac; Today at 04:39 PM.

when they say '' you never have enough pitching '' they are right

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    I think Lasagna has the second best stuff on the team. And Iíd love Shef to be our pen addition to limit his innings and add value.
    Yeah bring Sheff up like the White Sox did with Sale. He has to be better than Shreve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Personally, they should just bring him up now. Still cannot fathom why you bring up a lower ranked prospect in AA (loaisiga) rather than a high ranked prospect doing well in AAA. Sounds stupid to me. Why not Sheff or Adams? Oh, they might succeed. I guess I forgot.

Hamel, leave him. just another older pitcher already in decline who by saying I waive the NTC if you pick up my option, that he's a very mercenary loser. Let him stay on the sinking ship.
    Itís because Sheff isnít on the 40 man roster and Iím sure they donít want to ďrushĒ him... he is still very young.

Plus Loaisagna has great stuff, his older, and made great strides during the season. A lot of experts pegged him as our top trading chip at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Personally, they should just bring him up now. Still cannot fathom why you bring up a lower ranked prospect in AA (loaisiga) rather than a high ranked prospect doing well in AAA. Sounds stupid to me. Why not Sheff or Adams? Oh, they might succeed. I guess I forgot.

Hamel, leave him. just another older pitcher already in decline who by saying I waive the NTC if you pick up my option, that he's a very mercenary loser. Let him stay on the sinking ship.
    I am surprised Adams hasnít been called up yet. Even though he hasnít been great, his stuff was still the same... maybe they know his FB is rather average and think heíll be destroyed up here

Thor has hand, foot and mouth disease. Whatever that is. Placed on the 10 day DL.

Edit: Google image searched it. Looks like he has child herpes.

Thor has hand, foot and mouth disease. Whatever that is. Placed on the 10 day DL.

Edit: Google image searched it. Looks like he has child herpes.

Is that real? Wow.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

every young controllable pitcher teams dont wanna give us get hurt
    CASHMAN CURSE. we want em for the low

and ew them kids dirty
    the mets can have that
    dont want him drinking the clubhouse Gatorade
    or speaking Into the same mic

what kinda kids camp was this?!

Chris Archer? Iím not sure heís worth what it will cost to get him

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I think it's a bit stubborn to say we should only pursue "ace" pitchers. That's obviously the want and probably need. But as a WS contending team any marginal improvement helps. We made it to game 7 of the ALCS last year with Sevy/Tanaka/CC as our top 3. We actually won a game started by Gray against HOU too. Who knows... maybe in a 7 game ALCS or WS the difference could be that Gray/German/etc. get shelled and cost us a game rather than someone like Happ who just pitches solid and keeps us in it. That marginal improvement could literally be the difference between winning it all and not.

Now, that's not to say you throw all long-term logic out the window and sell out for a "meh" pitcher. Not saying that at all. But at a cost that makes sense a marginal upgrade is nothing to scoff at. People here don't even want to have a conversation about anyone who isn't an ace and reality is that it's unlikely one gets moved.
    I completely agree, if there is a marginal upgrade we can get for a reasonable cost get it done. The problem is with most of the contending team looking for starter the prices are ridiculous. Toronto asked for Frazier, Abreau plus for Happ last week.Besides Texas having a pretty big price for Hamels he won't waive his NT clause for us unless we pick up his 22m option for next yr, so hes a pass. SD GM thinks Ross is made of Gold and wants 2 of our top 10 for him.

Teams are taking advantage of the weak market, especially from us because they know thats what we need and we have a ton of quality specs to trade. Sometimes you have to look at the market and when the future cost outweighs the benefit you pass and try to improve another way.

This is an extremely young team that is set up better than any other team for a long run with the youth of our position players, the strength of our farm and the money we can spend.If we manage our assets properly we have a wide open window for the next 5yrs plus. When teams are asking similar prices for mid rotation starter/ rental that Boston gave up for Sale its probably time to pass IMO.

You made a great point that we it all the way to game 7 of the ALDS last yr with Sevy, CC, Tanaka and Grey and that was before we had Torres, Andujar and Stanton. If the market doesn't come back to reasonable i'd rather see them go with Lasagna and Sheffield down the stretch and hope or starters are good enough to let our bats win games. Just with what we have now we've been beating up on all the best team so far this yr.

I have zero problem trading specs especially if it really improves our team. I just don't like the idea of paying beyond premium prices for a pitcher that is just a marginal upgrade just for the rest of this season. If we are upgrading for someone who is better than Tanaka and CC paying a little extra makes sense. If were only upgrading to some one who is in the same range as CC/Tanaka or better than Gray i think we can do that internally with Lasagna and Sheffield. This team is absolutely set up for a long run and were going to need a couple starter long term. We have the top specs to really pull off a couple big time deals over the next yr or 2. It just seems like a very poor idea to use those top specs on a pitcher that really doesn't put us over the top of Houston or Boston this yr. Then have to turn around again this winter and have to try again to get the kind of starter we really need having already traded a couple of our best trade assets.

Unless were able to pull off a trade for Degrom, Thor, Martinez or Madbum were going to spend all winter trying to acquire a top starter that helps us win long term. To me it makes far more sense to pass on the massively over priced mid rotation/ rental pitchers now that are just a marginal upgrade for just this season in favor of waiting till this winter and get the kind of pitcher thats going to make us much better for the next 2-3 plus yrs. Just my opinion i'd rather save the assets till this winter when we have a little leverage and at least come close to getting what were paying for.