Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Voiding contracts after a PED suspension?

This seemed to be a hot take on the radio waves today in the aftershock of the Robinson Cano suspension. As of right now, it is not possible for this to happen, but it can be included in the next collective bargaining agreement as a negotiation point and if agreed upon, could be enacted.

I think it's a slippery slope here. Take Starling Marte and Cano, the last two big names to take the PED suspension. Obviously, the Pirates aren't voiding Marte's contract- he's a guy who may not have hit his ceiling yet, and is a very cost-controlled asset. Meanwhile, there is a high likelihood that the Mariners would consider voiding the rest of Cano's contract, given his age, the suspension and the amount still remaining. Veteran players who have hit free agency and bubble 25 man roster guys already into arbitration are taking the burden here.

What is your take on voiding contracts? Is it possible we see some version of this?

I don't mind the idea, but no way MLBPA would agree to it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You have several moving issues here.

1. The player doesn't get paid while suspended, so the teams do get a break, though, they sometimes wanted the player at that price for that time period (see Braun)

2. Teams benefit too from PED usage, or at least can. They are benefiting when the player is playing well, but hurt whenever the player has to have his roster spot replaced/covered.

3. Allowing this could open entire areas of abuse. Teams like New York and Seattle could get out from contracts they no longer want, but teams with guys on bargains wouldn't want this. So it becomes a case by case basis, and it wouldn't and isn't consistent from situation to situation. Plus, what if there was a situation where someone tampered to help a team get out of paying a player they didn't want to? It would be difficult to prove, and a lot of money at stake.

4. MLBPA would never allow this without some sort of a concession, and they would need a large one.

Personally, I'd rather it not be allowed. But, maybe there is a just penalty in there that would really make it not worth it for players (suspension and loss of pay isn't always that huge of a deterrent for some guys still willing to take the risk).

Personally, I've taken pro hormones and testosterone boosters at times when working out. No doubt about it, they are effective and help improve performance in a variety of areas. Even something as minimal as that. We have to have a system where players won't even consider such a thing, no matter the situation.

Jeffy, agree with a lot of your thoughts. I'm hearing a lot of people saying lengthen the first ban, at least to a year, and even potentially two.

An idea I thought about- in the case of a positive PED violation, your salary automatically reverts to the veteran's minimum, and if you complete the season with negative tests, the salary that was forfeited is given as a bonus at the end of the season.

Couldn't individual player contracts with the team contain a clause that if that player fails a drug test, they forfeit salary? Would serve as a deterrent to individual players it would seem. (Or maybe just an incentive not to get caught... )
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

Quote Originally Posted by #24 View Post
    Couldn't individual player contracts with the team contain a clause that if that player fails a drug test, they forfeit salary? Would serve as a deterrent to individual players it would seem. (Or maybe just an incentive not to get caught... )
    Well they already forfeit their salary for the time they're suspended. Whatever happened with Cano (if we presume he's been juicing his whole career) what's 12 million dollars when you conned a team into giving you 240 million based on false pretenses.

That said, its difficult to prove how much performance is affected by PED use and like Jeffy said, there is no way the MLBPA would accept voided deals after a player is busted for steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I don't mind the idea, but no way MLBPA would agree to it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Agree.