Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 1098
  1. #706
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    63,327
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I think a player like Mikal would help Dunn, Lavine, and Lauri all improve and reach their full potential over adding a player like Trae who shifts our best defender to the bench. I know we hate using the word FIT in this forum because it assumes we passed up on potential for a FIT, but sometimes the best way to get the most out of your young players is to pair them with a perfect fit. We are about to overpay Lavine. Whether we like it or not, we have to put players around him that maximize his value. You cannot tell me that Trae and Lavine form an NBA caliber guard combo. Like I said, you wanna go the potential route for MPJ if he's there, that's perfectly fine because we need a wing more than anything. If you want to go for a C like Bamba if he's there, I'm cool with that because he would fit perfectly with Lauri and we know he's likely to be an elite Rim Protector. If you want to risk it on JJJr, again that's great, he has crazy athletic upside on offense and defense. But why in the hell would you risk it for an undersized PG who shot miserably bad for over 2 straight months. A PG that shot his team out of games at times when they didn't need him taking terrible shots. A PG that Turns it over at one of the ugliest clips I've ever seen for a top 10 projected player.

    If we throw Mikal at the 3, we don't hamper any of our 3 current young starters in the slightest. We improve our defense, we improve our efficiency, we improve our 3 point shooting. You throw young in with our Core and we have no defense to speak of, our efficiency is out the window, and now we have to worry about him taking touches away from Lavine and Lauri who above everyone else, we need to progress as go to scorers.
    Despite your ridiculous take on fit (like it even matters at this point of a rebuild), it's hard to take you seriously when you say Trae Young would hurt efficiency.

    Again, not a big fan of his for several reasons, but he had the highest OBPM, by far the highest Points Produced, PPPG, a top 20 PER, highest APG, all with the highest usage in the nation. Kinda hard to make that claim when there are so many numbers to easily dispute it.

    My questions about him are mostly due to his size and propensity for turnovers, but there's no way to really deny his efficiency as an offensive player, even with those flaws.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 06-12-2018 at 04:10 PM.

  2. #707
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    5,027
    Well like someone said, this is a moot point because we aren't going to draft Young. I'm just baffled by how many people are on this Trae Young train all of a sudden. Like there was a lot of people that liked Trae before conference play started, my self included. You can go back and look at me talk him up like none other, but that was only if he was able to compete at that same level consistently in the big 12, which he wasn't.

    I'd rather take Mikal at 7 and Kyri Thomas at 22 and add 2 of the most efficient shooting guards and wings in the country than take a chance the lil Gunning TO machine!

  3. #708
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lynwood , IL
    Posts
    42,463

  4. #709
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17,689
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    And the counter to that is those 3 players are the exception, not the norm. There are waaaaayyyyy more examples of guys coming into the league with comparable profiles that become just good 3&D guys, role players, or nothing. I've always maintained Bridges will be a solid 3&D guy, but this team needs way more than that right now.
    And thatís a fine counter. Like I said, itís anyoneís guess how Bridges ends up but I donít see dabears comparing every wing to those guys. Thereís at least some examples however of a supposed 3&D wing player breaking out in the NBA. And I say Bridges compares favorably to where those guys were coming out and what their strengths/weaknesses were. To quote the great kyben, just because someone thinks it doesnít make it true and I donít buy Bridges strictly being a 3&D wing in the NBA. However, Iím not sold on him being a superstar player either....but thereís only a couple guys this draft with that type of (realistic) potential.

  5. #710
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    And thatís a fine counter. Like I said, itís anyoneís guess how Bridges ends up but I donít see dabears comparing every wing to those guys. Thereís at least some examples however of a supposed 3&D wing player breaking out in the NBA. And I say Bridges compares favorably to where those guys were coming out and what their strengths/weaknesses were. To quote the great kyben, just because someone thinks it doesnít make it true and I donít buy Bridges strictly being a 3&D wing in the NBA. However, Iím not sold on him being a superstar player either....but thereís only a couple guys this draft with that type of (realistic) potential.
    I'm obviously not sure he will be as good as these guys. I just see certain aspects of his game that match up with certain aspects of these successful wings in the NBA. I also know that you can't win without athletic defensive wings in the NBA.

    Mikal probably won't be as good as Jimmy at Drawing fouls.
    Mikal probably won't be as good a rebounder as Kawhi.
    Mikal probably won't be as big a scorer as George.
    Mikal might not have those crazy 3rd Quarters like Mr. 3rd Quarter himself Klay Thompson.

    But,

    Mikal could very well be a similar quick release spot up shooter like Klay and also has enough skills off the bounce to get to the rim or take pull up jumpers similar to Klay.
    Mikal could very well be as good a defender as all of them. Nothing about his game says otherwise.
    Mikal could very well be as efficient with his offense as Kawhi.
    Mikal could be a good late game shooter like he showed to close out his college career. When they needed a big shot, he was making those big 3's with defenders all around hm. He wasn't afraid of the moment.

    If there was an optimistic outlook for him it could be Klay's shooting ability with Kawhi's early career efficient shot selection.

    The series Kawhi won the Finals MVP, he only took 9.8 Shots Per Game. He only averaged 17.8 PPG. He averaged 2.0 APG and 6.4 RPG. What made him great was his 61.2 FG%, 57.9 3P%, 1.2 BPG, 1.6 SPG, and 1.8 TPG.

  6. #711
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    63,327
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    And thatís a fine counter. Like I said, itís anyoneís guess how Bridges ends up but I donít see dabears comparing every wing to those guys. Thereís at least some examples however of a supposed 3&D wing player breaking out in the NBA. And I say Bridges compares favorably to where those guys were coming out and what their strengths/weaknesses were. To quote the great kyben, just because someone thinks it doesnít make it true and I donít buy Bridges strictly being a 3&D wing in the NBA. However, Iím not sold on him being a superstar player either....but thereís only a couple guys this draft with that type of (realistic) potential.
    So have plenty of other players, probably in just about every draft of the last decade. Most of them failed to live up to these lofty comps.

    I'm not saying with any certainty what will or won't happen with Bridges, that's not the point. I'm saying the odds are stacked firmly against him ever being on that level, much like they are with most players in this draft. It's not a knock on him, but the likely scenario.

    I also just don't see the ceiling you and dabears apparently do either. I think his ceiling is easily one of the lowest among the top 10 prospects (due to age, offensive limitations). He may have a higher floor than several of them, but I'm not really interested in that given the state of this roster.

  7. #712
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    5,027
    The way I see it with Mikal, if he reaches his top comps he could be a top 3 player in this draft a few years from now. If he doesn't get to that point he's at worst still a top 15 player in the draft because of his shooting, efficiency and defense.

    If Trae Young reaches his top comps (Steph Shooting and Paul Passing) he will also be a top 3 player in this draft, but he can easily being a situational role player because of his size and defensive deficiencies. Like DJ Augustine is a great shooter and scorer, but he struggles so much with size and defense that he is a liability vs. any big PG that take him to the hoop. I don't know if you all remember what Andre Miller in his mid/upper 30's did to DJ Augustin in the playoffs for us. It was game 1 and 2, and both games were winnable for us. They brought Miller when the game was close and he scored with ease on DJ to suck the wind out of us.

  8. #713
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posts
    63,327
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    The way I see it with Mikal, if he reaches his top comps he could be a top 3 player in this draft a few years from now. If he doesn't get to that point he's at worst still a top 15 player in the draft because of his shooting, efficiency and defense.

    If Trae Young reaches his top comps (Steph Shooting and Paul Passing) he will also be a top 3 player in this draft, but he can easily being a situational role player because of his size and defensive deficiencies. Like DJ Augustine is a great shooter and scorer, but he struggles so much with size and defense that he is a liability vs. any big PG that take him to the hoop. I don't know if you all remember what Andre Miller in his mid/upper 30's did to DJ Augustin in the playoffs for us. It was game 1 and 2, and both games were winnable for us. They brought Miller when the game was close and he scored with ease on DJ to suck the wind out of us.
    Awfully rosy scenario either way, lol.

    Worst case is probably worse than that for any player, but whatever. I don't really care anymore. I'm convinced you're Mikal Bridges agent, brother, cousin, AAU coach, hype man, or something along those lines. Best of luck to you. Enjoy the draft. I hope you'll be okay if he's not the Bulls selection.

  9. #714
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    271
    who is opposed to taking parsons contract for pick 4????

  10. #715
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Based on y'all's thoughts on Trae compared to Carter and Mikal, I know most of you guys A) didn't watch much college hoops, and B) completely forgot about how terrible Trae was for 2/3rds of the season.

    If we draft Trae over either these guys we will be a laughing stock in 2 seasons. We will also have one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history

    1. This team isnt about the next two years

    2. Most people watch more college ball to nba ball because, well its terrible to watch the nba.

    3. We get you love Mikal. No need for 17 new posts about it per day.

    4. Back to #2...you have to balls to post that and call out other posters? helLol

  11. #716
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by imReallyCHI View Post
    who is opposed to taking parsons contract for pick 4????
    They want to swap first, I seen this earlier though. Kind of interesting

  12. #717
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17,689
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    So have plenty of other players, probably in just about every draft of the last decade. Most of them failed to live up to these lofty comps.

    I'm not saying with any certainty what will or won't happen with Bridges, that's not the point. I'm saying the odds are stacked firmly against him ever being on that level, much like they are with most players in this draft. It's not a knock on him, but the likely scenario.

    I also just don't see the ceiling you and dabears apparently do either. I think his ceiling is easily one of the lowest among the top 10 prospects (due to age, offensive limitations). He may have a higher floor than several of them, but I'm not really interested in that given the state of this roster.
    I don't agree with there are plenty of players in every draft like Mikal. When you combine defensive prowess, shooting, efficiency, intangibles, attributes, and being a winner etc, I would say quite the opposite.

    However, I would say dabears thinks his ceiling is probably higher than I do. I think his ceiling is somewhere inbetween Otto Porter and PG. Better than Porter and maybe right around PG. Not saying he's a lock to reach PG status, but I would comfortably rank his ceiling as such. So floor would be Porter, ceiling around PG.

    And I'm not advocating Bridges at #7. I'd like the Bulls to trade up. But if it's between Bridges and say Young, I'm going Bridges. To borrow from Ryan Pace, I need to have conviction on a draft pick. And while Young may have the (maybe) higher ceiling and is the "bigger swing," he's much like closing your eyes in a fight and throwing hay makers. Good luck with that. I have less than a 50% confidence level that Young ever comes close to the ridiculous Steph Curry comparisons. However, I have around a 70-80% confidence level that Bridges will be at minimum Otto Porter or better. I think you need to have conviction on any player you draft. I don't believe in closing your eyes and taking a swing at the off chance you make contact it will be a grand slam. That's bad drafting, IMO.

    Ideally, the Bulls could move up a few spots and all this will be moot.

  13. #718
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    1. This team isnt about the next two years

    2. Most people watch more college ball to nba ball because, well its terrible to watch the nba.

    3. We get you love Mikal. No need for 17 new posts about it per day.

    4. Back to #2...you have to balls to post that and call out other posters? helLol
    White Channing Frye... lol...

  14. #719
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Awfully rosy scenario either way, lol.

    Worst case is probably worse than that for any player, but whatever. I don't really care anymore. I'm convinced you're Mikal Bridges agent, brother, cousin, AAU coach, hype man, or something along those lines. Best of luck to you. Enjoy the draft. I hope you'll be okay if he's not the Bulls selection.
    I don't even care if we take Mikal. That's not my argument right now. I'd only care if we took Trae Young because I don't think he's going to be a good NBA player. I don't think he fits with Lavine. I like Carter just as much as Mikal but I don't think we need a big as bad as a wing. We need to get deep there. Hell we might not even bring Nwaba back if someone overpays him. From the sounds of things he's somewhat coveted.

    I'm just put out more realistic scenarios. The reality of this draft is that the top 6 guys are likely going to be gone before us, Carter and Mikal are the likely players we pick, and I'm not sure why everyone suddenly jumped back on this Trae bandwagon. it's like with the passing months people forgot how bad he was last season. I'm ok with y'all bashing my opinion just like you should be fine with me bashing yours. That's what happens on an open forum.

    Arguing with you guys about Trae Young is fun. I get to do it for 9 more days too

  15. #720
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    I don't agree with there are plenty of players in every draft like Mikal. When you combine defensive prowess, shooting, efficiency, intangibles, attributes, and being a winner etc, I would say quite the opposite.

    However, I would say dabears thinks his ceiling is probably higher than I do. I think his ceiling is somewhere inbetween Otto Porter and PG. Better than Porter and maybe right around PG. Not saying he's a lock to reach PG status, but I would comfortably rank his ceiling as such. So floor would be Porter, ceiling around PG.

    And I'm not advocating Bridges at #7. I'd like the Bulls to trade up. But if it's between Bridges and say Young, I'm going Bridges. To borrow from Ryan Pace, I need to have conviction on a draft pick. And while Young may have the (maybe) higher ceiling and is the "bigger swing," he's much like closing your eyes in a fight and throwing hay makers. Good luck with that. I have less than a 50% confidence level that Young ever comes close to the ridiculous Steph Curry comparisons. However, I have around a 70-80% confidence level that Bridges will be at minimum Otto Porter or better. I think you need to have conviction on any player you draft. I don't believe in closing your eyes and taking a swing at the off chance you make contact it will be a grand slam. That's bad drafting, IMO.

    Ideally, the Bulls could move up a few spots and all this will be moot.
    I don't really think he's going to be Kahwi Leonard or Klay or PG or Jimmy. I just throw those reports out to show people that the same type of things have been said about all these guys. That's why they went after the 10th pick. It's just 4 instances where scouting was off. 4 times where more flashy swing for the fence guys were taken higher, and it didn't pay off.

    I truly don't know what kind of offensive player he will be in the NBA. I just know that based on his percentages, I'm willing to take a shot because we need a defender at the wing like him.

    Most in here just disagree that we are in a position to take a safe pick, and think we have to swing for the fences. I feel like our swing for the fences are Lauri and Lavine. Those are the 2 guys we need to be great if this group is going to be worth a damn. I want to draft defensive Wing or Big with upside to go with what we have. The reason I lean Wing is because we already have a solid vet in Rolo at C, and we already have 2 young projects in Portis and Lauri at the 4. Get great complements to get the most out of everyone we have in our young core.

Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •