Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 241 to 246 of 246
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17,485
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Let's say hypothetically, and this is a total hypothetical:

    MPJ is a great scorer (25-28 in his Prime), but a liability on defense (meaning he isn't quick enough to guard athletic 3's).
    Mikal Bridges is a good scorer (18-21 in his Prime), but is an elite defender.

    Who do you want with this current core?

    Remembering that in order for Lavine to be worth it, we need him to be a mid 20's PPG scorer.
    We need to expect Lauri to be low to mid 20's PPG.

    Would you rather have the 3rd defensive liability in our offense with Lavine/Porter/Lauri, who all need to score big points to make up for it, or would you rather have the guy that is efficient, but plays a team game, and can shut down 1-3's on every team, and even switch on 4-5's without being a huge liability?

    That is the scenario I play in my head when comparing Mikal and Porter in our current core.

    It's a hypothetical, but at the same time it could be as true a situation as there is. What does anyone in here know about Porter on defense? When he ages, will he be more suited for the 4 than the 3?
    This is a great hypothetical question. Itís hard to answer because so much of it hinges on what LaVine turns into. And Markkanen as well but more LaVine because heís a bit harder to project, IMO. Since we donít know what type of player heíll turn into I think you have to go with the higher ceiling/better prospect and that is MPJ. Also, itís easier to find a grittier defender than it is to find a dominant scorer who could take over games. Even if MPJ and LaVine struggle defensively you could always tweak matchups and look to add a defensive specialist.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    4,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkels View Post
    Am I crazy to think that MPJ could have a similar career statistically to of Melo with MPJ a little more athletic. I just feel from a pure scoring look you start with Lauri and MPJ and that will be your cornerstones for your franchise then you build from there. If LaVine doesn't exactly fit in with MPJ and MPJ is the next great scorer in this league then you look to trade LaVine off elsewhere. Give me a rim protecting defensive Center and then have a defensive guard (Dunn) and you will be fine.
    See, that is a comparison that scares me. Melo is not who I would want any player on my franchise to turn out to be. I don't look at Carmelo as a HOF'er like some do. I think he's extremely extremely overrated. That's why I never wanted to trade Jimmy for him, and I think I was 100% right in that instance.

    You open up a good comparison, albeit I don't think they are the same player, but could be similar offense to defense. If you are hoping for him to be like Carmelo, I want him even less.

    Also, if we are looking at guys like Porter and Ingram a couple years back, and putting a Durant potential on them, then it isn't unfair to look at a guy like Mikal and put a Jimmy/George/Kawhi, ceiling on him.

    If I had the choice between healthy Durant and healthy Kawhi, call me crazy but I take Kawhi and don't think twice.

    So if I have the choice between potential Durant and potential Kawhi, again I'm going potential Kawhi. Maybe in a different scenario where we didn't have Lavine and Lauri at the 2 and 4, I look Porter. Like say we have a guy like Klay at the 2, who is a good defender and offensive player, I think harder about taking Porter since I know I will at least have one guy capable of guarding the opponents best wing scorer.

    I'm also looking at the Celtics and 76ers with Simmons and Brown/Tatum/Hayward, and I kind of like the idea of Mikal on those guys over Porter.

    Like it or not, we aren't building to beat Lebron in the future. His reign is almost over. We are building to compete with the Celtics and the 76ers. We need to go Wing Crazy this draft to have a shot at competing any time soon.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    See, that is a comparison that scares me. Melo is not who I would want any player on my franchise to turn out to be. I don't look at Carmelo as a HOF'er like some do. I think he's extremely extremely overrated. That's why I never wanted to trade Jimmy for him, and I think I was 100% right in that instance.

    You open up a good comparison, albeit I don't think they are the same player, but could be similar offense to defense. If you are hoping for him to be like Carmelo, I want him even less.

    Also, if we are looking at guys like Porter and Ingram a couple years back, and putting a Durant potential on them, then it isn't unfair to look at a guy like Mikal and put a Jimmy/George/Kawhi, ceiling on him.

    If I had the choice between healthy Durant and healthy Kawhi, call me crazy but I take Kawhi and don't think twice.

    So if I have the choice between potential Durant and potential Kawhi, again I'm going potential Kawhi. Maybe in a different scenario where we didn't have Lavine and Lauri at the 2 and 4, I look Porter. Like say we have a guy like Klay at the 2, who is a good defender and offensive player, I think harder about taking Porter since I know I will at least have one guy capable of guarding the opponents best wing scorer.

    I'm also looking at the Celtics and 76ers with Simmons and Brown/Tatum/Hayward, and I kind of like the idea of Mikal on those guys over Porter.

    Like it or not, we aren't building to beat Lebron in the future. His reign is almost over. We are building to compete with the Celtics and the 76ers. We need to go Wing Crazy this draft to have a shot at competing any time soon.

    I agree with your statement that Bulls need to build to beat C's and Sixers but I completely disagree with your statement on Melo.... How can you say you dont want anyone on your team to be like him? Hes one of the more gifted scorers the league has seen. If MPJ is like Melo we would all be very happy and lucky. Melo was a black hole most of the time sure but he could score on anyone. If you surround a MPJ with defender and shooters thats dangerous as hell and I would love it lol.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_BullsChris View Post
    I agree with your statement that Bulls need to build to beat C's and Sixers but I completely disagree with your statement on Melo.... How can you say you dont want anyone on your team to be like him? Hes one of the more gifted scorers the league has seen. If MPJ is like Melo we would all be very happy and lucky. Melo was a black hole most of the time sure but he could score on anyone. If you surround a MPJ with defender and shooters thats dangerous as hell and I would love it lol.
    Do you think Melo hasn't done anything in the playoffs because of a lack of a supporting cast then? I'm confused because the angle of your tank/draft strategy seems to be championship or bust but you'd want to draft a player that could embody someone who hasn't achieved anything in the postseason. I don't necessarily think one way or the other about it, but I'm generally opposed to guys who can only play really well on one side of the ball--and even more-so if they're not great creators for others. You need to be an ungodly scorer to be an elite offensive player without having the ability to create for others--like KD level.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    4,768
    See this is when people in here lose me. If you still think a player like Melo can help a team win a championship, what the hell have you been watching for his entire career? I can see why there is no value in here for efficiency! You know why Kawhi Leonard when healthy is a top 3 player in the league? Because he plays incredible D and is incredibly efficient. You know why Melo doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as any past/present/future Hall of Famer? Because he was the most inefficient "star" in NBA history who plays terrible defense. Yeah he could score. Good for him. But could he win? Could he lead? Could he defend?

    I guess he is a great Team USA player LOL! Where he is on a team that is hands down better than the competition, and he's allowed to chuck bad shots left and right because chances are we weren't losing anyways. If you think Porter is anything like Melo, keep him as far away from our Bulls as possible. I want guys that get it at both ends, that play for the team, and that want to win!

  6. #246
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mishawaka, IN
    Posts
    4,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Aapox View Post
    Do you think Melo hasn't done anything in the playoffs because of a lack of a supporting cast then? I'm confused because the angle of your tank/draft strategy seems to be championship or bust but you'd want to draft a player that could embody someone who hasn't achieved anything in the postseason. I don't necessarily think one way or the other about it, but I'm generally opposed to guys who can only play really well on one side of the ball--and even more-so if they're not great creators for others. You need to be an ungodly scorer to be an elite offensive player without having the ability to create for others--like KD level.
    And lets be honest about KD, and don't take this the wrong way cuz I know he's unreal. KD wasn't capable of winning a ship without joining a team that could have won the ship without him. Curry is the most important player on the team, although don't tell that to anyone from Ohio. They claim he's their 4th best player. This whole series he's been the guy that makes them click. When he gets cold or is out of the game, the Warriors struggle mightily. They dominated the 1st Q, he got in foul trouble and they sucked it up for the 2nd. He dominated the 3rd, and when they took him out the Rockets went on a tear and completely changed the game. In game 3 when he wasn't clicking, the Warriors struggled. When he heated up in the 3rd they took over.

    That's no knock on KD. He is great, although he makes some of the most pathetic TO's late in games. I wouldn't mind him taking a last second shot for me any day though. He's truly unguardable when he's on.

    I just wanted to point out that KD needed a great team to win.
    Last edited by dabears34ft; Today at 01:30 AM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •