Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    I would love to see expansion to even out the Leagues; another Southern team (would be nice as well).

My main concern is quality of players; we have eight teams sub 0.400 win percentage right now with at least a handful of them seemingly tanking for the sole purpose of pursuing draft picks.

MLB needs to fix amateur and international draft rules first; I have no interest in watching two AAA teams added to already flagging divisional basements.
    Let's get consistent with the DH
    Let's get an international draft
    Let's fix the service time issue for young players

I will say, the talent will rise to the top eventually.

32 teams, you'll continue to see it in 3rd's

10-11 teams contenders
    10-11 teams middle of the road can go either direction with luck and health
    10-11 teams looking at next years draft and selling assets, hoping to get lucky

I don't think that changes no matter how many teams you have in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad_Racing View Post
    The idea of expansion is very interesting and I generally support it, however I would like a clear path on the Rays and A's locations/parks before anything is decided.
    I agree, and believe Manfred does too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Let's get consistent with the DH
    Let's get an international draft
    Let's fix the service time issue for young players

I will say, the talent will rise to the top eventually.
    I would love to see how the game would change with a DH in both leagues and improvements for talented prospects.

Better quality overall I would think.

32 teams, you'll continue to see it in 3rd's

10-11 teams contenders
    10-11 teams middle of the road can go either direction with luck and health
    10-11 teams looking at next years draft and selling assets, hoping to get lucky

I don't think that changes no matter how many teams you have in the league.
    Unfortunately, true.

I would prefer a 5/15/5 split in talent levels; my main issue with potential expansion is increasing the number of 70% loss teams.
    Weíre pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isnít about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The ďHoly TrinityĒ of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by IceHawk-181 View Post
    I would love to see how the game would change with a DH in both leagues and improvements for talented prospects.

Better quality overall I would think.

Unfortunately, true.

I would prefer a 5/15/5 split in talent levels; my main issue with potential expansion is increasing the number of 70% loss teams.
    I don't think anyone wants that. But you can tailor the expansion draft that the players picked would give that expansion team a .400 winning percentage from the get. Start them right into a rebuild mode, where they aren't better than bad teams, but not so bad that it's non-competitive baseball.

Winning percentages of inaugural teams
    Arizona - .410 - won 100 games in year 2
    Tampa Bay - .389 - took 10 years to become good
    Colorado - .414 - over .500 in their third season
    Miami - .395 - won World series in 5th season
    Seattle - .395 - took 14 years to get to .500
    Toronto - .335 - reached .500 their 7th season

Don't feel like digging into the 60's teams.

I think we could improve those averages just a tick by giving these teams picks of tiered protected players from each roster

Something like, protect 21 guys with MLB roster service for your first pick
    22 with your second, on down for 10 picks

Then guys without MLB service time can start being protected (mid level prospects basically)

Or something like that. You'd just have to look realistically at who would be protected from each roster in every draft scenario of protection and see how good/bad those teams would be. Try to get them to around .500 with a back of the average farm system.

I would put franchises in Brooklyn and Montreal. They are the most deserving after having teams taken from them. Baseball was at its peak when NY had 3 teams. This might also push the Wilpons to spend some more money to keep fans from straying.

the league will still be largely ruled by large market teams until there's an effort to add more financial parity.....that only worsens IMO with 2 more teams
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Just move the Rays to Charlotte

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Just move the Rays to Charlotte

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That doesnít solve the problem of having uneven divisions and too much inter league play. Baseball will expand to 32 teams and there will also be relocation which I see the Rays doing. Charlotte would be nice. So would Brooklyn. They have worn Brooklyn uniforms in honor of Don Zimmer. Move the Rays to BK.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    That doesnít solve the problem of having uneven divisions and too much inter league play. Baseball will expand to 32 teams and there will also be relocation which I see the Rays doing. Charlotte would be nice. So would Brooklyn. They have worn Brooklyn uniforms in honor of Don Zimmer. Move the Rays to BK.
    While Brooklyn may be a good idea, wouldn't there be territorial issues with the Mets and Yanks? Plus I've a feeling MLB would rather expand their range to non baseball cities. Move the Rays to Charlotte or Nashville, move the A's to follow their Raiders cousins to Las Vegas. Leave the number of teams and divisions as is.

I do agree there's way too much inter-league play though. Rather see my team play more out of division NL games than meaningless AL exhibition games. They can do that in spring training.
    "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

If I had autonomy....

I would suggest Montreal and Nashville or Portland (leaning Nashville, that's baseball country with no teams particularly close - most people in Tennessee split between the Reds, Cards, and Braves)
    Nashville and Portland seem the likely of next two choices. I have a hard time seeing MLb going back to Montreal. I also think Vegas is a legit option somewhere down the road.

I do agree, Nashville needs a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I donít think baseball in Brooklyn would really work. Most people are already diehard Mets/Yankees fans or are uninterested in the sport all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I would put franchises in Brooklyn and Montreal. They are the most deserving after having teams taken from them. Baseball was at its peak when NY had 3 teams.

This might also push the Wilpons to spend some more money to keep fans from straying.
    Mets - and Yankees - would specifically have to agree to give up territorial rights regardless of any league approval. And thatís not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

I would love to see Baseball in Montreal again. I think they'll get a team again.

Not sure where the second team would be placed.

Charlotte is very interesting.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

American League
    East- Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Toronto
    North- Chi Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota
    West- LA Angels, Las Vegas (Oakland relocation), Seattle, Portland expansion
    South- Colorado, Kansas City, Houston, Texas

National League
    East- NY Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
    North- Chi Cubs, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis
    West- Arizona, LA Dodgers, San Francisco, San Diego
    South- Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte (Tampa Bay relocation), Nashville expansion

For a team as storied as the A's, it's a crying shame they are facing relocation to a 4th city in the last 110 years. How many teams in the American League not named Yankees have won more World Series than the A's?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast