Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Jerry West

Jerry West

If Jerry West helps the Clippers turn it around and become a contender does he become the G.O.A.T in the front office?

That would make 4 teams he joined better. Lakers, Grizzlies, Warriors and potentially Clippers. 2 of the 4 won chips. 1 was a dark horse every year and the other is a question mark.

Don't know about who all are great in the FO tbh but Ainge comes to mind as a recent good one but still has work on his current project etc.

If the Clippers also get turned around though that would be a pretty incredible resume for West not sure who could top it. Already very impressive. I believe it was the lakers vlade years and then Shaq/Kobe 3 peat right? Warriors team obviously amazing and arguably most talented we have seen.

He’s already the best gm of all time. What he pulled on Blake griffin was flat genius. I hate to say this (due to the fact that I hate the Celtics albeit a friendly sports hate) has done a grand job. He should be in jail or something for what he did to the nets. I know there’s a lemon law or something in place. My only thing is he’s kinda playing both ends against the middle. Either you’re trying to rings or you are rebuilding. If you’re trying to win move those picks and get some players and leave the lottery to those teams that need it.

The lost boys

Woah woah woah. The Warriors success is on Lacob, not West. He told us so.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Don't know about who all are great in the FO tbh but Ainge comes to mind as a recent good one but still has work on his current project etc.

If the Clippers also get turned around though that would be a pretty incredible resume for West not sure who could top it. Already very impressive. I believe it was the lakers vlade years and then Shaq/Kobe 3 peat right? Warriors team obviously amazing and arguably most talented we have seen.
    LMFAO... get real... until they win something he is no different than morey at best

Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    LMFAO... get real... until they win something he is no different than morey at best
    He’s already got a ring as a GM....

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    He’s already got a ring as a GM....
    you are right... he is the equivalent of the Mavericks GM when they won one

you are right... he is the equivalent of the Mavericks GM when they won one
    Danny Ainge right now is the 2nd best GM in the NBA. Maybe 3rd. I'm only putting the GSW GM over him...maybe RC depending on how he deals with this Kawhi situation.

You're trying too hard to not give Ainge credit. And this is coming from a guy that hates him because he was gifted two massive victories in trades.

PROCESSING

Forget about the trades, just signing Stevens as a coach was Ainge's best move. Stevens alone will turn a 6th man into a better asset, he'll turn end of the bench guys into rotational players, and make players appear better then they are thus increasing their trade value lol.

Ainge is doing a great job but what makes West special is he's done it in multiple places

They already did with him lolol so I guess we are good? They now look set up for a very long time and without the possibly goat team warriors and if healthy they would be competing year in and out now.

Like I said I don't know or follow tons of gms but he is a good one that came to mind (Spurs one would as well, looks like someone mentioned Buford and that sounds right). Feel free to explain why he hasn't been good though I'm all ears...

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).

This is not to discredit Ainge, because he is doing great, but he wa VERY luck when the Wolves were dumping Garnett (McHale practically gift-wrapped that deal to his former team), and then got VERY lucky that the Nets were dumb enough to cough up their future on a couple of guys who were about to retire.

But yes... Ainge, like Morey, and Hinkie (who I am critical of) are all excellent are bringing in and stock piling assets.

For me, though, West and Pop/Buford are the top, beause they've been able to do so well in the draft. Looking at the talent West brought into LAL via the draft, mostly late picks, like Byron Scott, AC Green. Then later drafted more solid picks like Divac and Elden Campbell. Jones. Van Excel. I can't think of a time when he didn't pick arguably the best playerr available in the draft. Not to mention bringing in Kobe.

And he was pretty good at getting assets to, like the pick that landed Worthy, and in free agency.

And in Memphis he helped set that team up with some of their finest season in the franchise up until that point, while also playing a major role when advising the current Warriors dynasty.

Pop and Buford have put together 21 straight playoff appearances and pulled some rare talent out of the draft, like Parker, Manu, and Leonard, and through draft day deals and picks always get quality rotations players.

Ainge is shining right now, and justifiably. He's done a solid job. An amazing job. He's had sme good fortune in trades, as noted, but he's also made shrewd trades and doesn't get fleeced himself.

He's also done really well in the draft recently: Brown, Tatum, and Rozier (not to mention Bradley), and Smart has been a big cntributor to this team (though I do think there were better players in the draft at that point).

So Ainge is wonderful and doing a helluva job, but the sun has been shining on him too. But for me, West is best, given how long he's done this for and how many different teams he's managed to help establish as winner.

I mean, as a scout and later GM, West set up the Showtime Lakers (5X champ), the Kobe/Shaq dynasty (3X champs), only missing the playoffs once aftr Magic's sudden retirement. Left the Lakers in a position to build another title contender around Kobe with Gasol later (2X champs, but he doesn't get all the cred for that).

Then went to Memphis, helped get a perenial loser into the playoffs.

Came to GSW and helped them build shrewdly through the draft (2X champs and counting).

So... franchises now how a collective total of 12 titles due in large part to West's contributions.

Aigne has established 2 contenders now, the Big 3 and the current roster. It's impressive.. but West casts a bg shadow in my mind.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.