Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playoff format change suggestions

Seeding the playoffs independent of conference has been discussed at length, sounds good to me, but I think we should go further than that. Let's include every NBA team in the playoffs but have the first round be 3 game series, then 5 games series, then 7 game series after that. That way the NBA gets even more playoff games and fans for more teams stick around after the regular season ends and the short series increase the chances of a cinderella team moving on.

Any ideas are welcome.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

A playoff format that keeps the Raptors TF away from Lebron James

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

How about the best 16 team from the WC and the Best 16 teams from the East play for the Finals spot?

I've been a vocal opponent of uncoupling the conferences from playoff setup.

However, I am in favor of doing a few things that could really change things:

Round 1: Best of 5 series

Round 2: (most dramatic change) Best of 7, games 6&7 at a neutral site. EX: A Cleveland-Milwaukee series gets to game 6, the game takes place in Chicago. Each team gets 40% to sell through their own ticket offices, 10% open to local only, 10% open nationwide.

Conference Championships: Best of 7 series, going back to 2-3-2.

Finals: Best of 7, 2-2-1-1-1. No more than 1 day off. Lasts a max of 2 weeks.

PROCESSING

Unique East v West 'fix'

So I've been opposed to this idea of doing away with conferences. But as I was replying to Scoots playoffs thread, I had an interesting idea...what if instead of East/West alignment you did a North/South alignment.

So the first thing that you need to do is determine who's north and who's south.

So in the north you have:
    Portland, Utah, Denver, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto, Washington, Philadelphia, New York, Brooklyn, Boston

In the South you have:
    Sacramento, Golden State, Los Angeles (C), Los Angeles (L), Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Miami

That would be my North and South.

Then within that:
    Northwest Great Lakes North East Corrador
    Portland Chicago Boston
    Utah Indiana New York
    Denver Detroit Brooklyn
    Minnesota Cleveland Philadelphia
    Milwaukee Toronto Washington

Calizona Mextex Southeast
    Sacramento Oklahoma City Memphis
    Golden State Dallas Charlotte
    Los Angeles (C) San Antonio Atlanta
    Los Angeles (L) Houston Orlando
    Phoenix New Orleans Miami

On top of that I have some "preset" movement locations for cities that teams could move to if they wanted in order to keep the balance. They would be:
    Seattle (North), St. Louis (North), Kansas City (North), Virginia Beach (North)
    Las Vegas (South), San Diego (South), Albuquerque (South), Tampa Bay (South)

On top of that, there's 2 'preset' expansion cities of: Seattle (North) and Las Vegas (South).

So thoughts? Ideas other than undoing the conference idea completely? Got an idea for NFL style league where the conferences aren't geographical rather historical?

PROCESSING

Well, this does not make any sense. The East/West is created to combat travel issues, and while it is much less of an issue now than ever (private non-stop luxury flights for every team), this does nothing to solve that problem and still does not ensure that the best 16 teams make the playoffs.

If they do make a change, the only one that makes sense to me is to banish conferences + divisions all together and make it an open league where the playoffs are for the top 16 teams period. I see very little reason not to do this, as they could still curtail the schedules to allow teams to play those closest to them more frequently than otherwise.

Time zones would be a major issue with a huge number of eastern teams now still playing at midnight EST. I think that's enough to totally kill it. There is not east/west bias in the media, there is a bias toward sleep.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

That would be a very cheap way for the Kings to get that taste of PO competition.

Realignment in not the issue. Conferences are not the issue. There have been 2 unstoppable forces since I started watching basketball, Jordan and LeBron. Ok actually 3 adding Shaq in there but the Shaq Laker years only had 6 years before the king entered the picture.

Yes geography is a factor, but if the West gets the next MJ or LeBron and that person stays West I would bet a small fortune more guys will go East.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Realignment in not the issue. Conferences are not the issue. There have been 2 unstoppable forces since I started watching basketball, Jordan and LeBron. Ok actually 3 adding Shaq in there but the Shaq Laker years only had 6 years before the king entered the picture.

Yes geography is a factor, but if the West gets the next MJ or LeBron and that person stays West I would bet a small fortune more guys will go East.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    I do very much agree with all of this which is why generally I'm against any form of realignment or undoing of conferences.

PROCESSING

The conferences should stay as they are. The idea behind the bracket being built across conference lines is just to avoid the all too common issue of better teams matching up early and the issue of the "real finals" being on one side of the bracket or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The conferences should stay as they are. The idea behind the bracket being built across conference lines is just to avoid the all too common issue of better teams matching up early and the issue of the "real finals" being on one side of the bracket or the other.
    Are you still putting in 8 teams per conference? What about more travel in between in case you get a Miami-Portland series? Does that guarantee you get the matchup you want? What about the number of times we claimed the "real finals" was on one side and it ended up that they lost?

PROCESSING

I don't think setting up a North v. South rivalry is in anyone's interests.

Drink All Day, Play All Night, Let's Get It Poppin

Where Memphis?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast