Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBA Viewership up 8% this year

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...5fI/story.html

I guess the NBA hasn't been ruined after all.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

I don't think super teams will ever have too much trouble getting fans to watch, that's not what people usually mean when talking about the league being broken right now etc.

On the upside though this is good news and I think Basketball/NBA is in a great spot to keep growing worldwide attracting fans/players. The style of ball we see from some of these teams (Spurs, Warriors, Boston for example) and opening of the floor has been great and exciting. Some teams still have that ISO feel a little to them as well to make interesting matchups with ball movement or more team oriented offenses. All in all I think ratings should be solid for the NBA in years to come
    Last edited by mngopher35; 05-12-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I don't think super teams will ever have too much trouble getting fans to watch, that's not what people usually mean when talking about the league being broken right now etc.

On the upside though this is good news and I think Basketball/NBA is in a great spot to keep growing worldwide attracting fans/players. The style of ball we see from some of these teams (Spurs, Warriors, Boston for example) and opening of the floor has been great and exciting. Some teams still have that ISO feel a little to them as well to make interesting matchups with ball movement or more team oriented offenses. All in all I think ratings should be solid for the NBA in years to come
    The fanatics though have been talking about how people were going to stop watching because the outcome was a foregone conclusion. The reality is that the majority of people watching just want a show for the game they are watching, and the casual fans like the newer style of play that is spreading around the league.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

I don't care where anyone chooses to go in free agency. I really don't. Yes, KD "broke" the NBA for a year or two, but I can't blame him for going to the team that fit what he wanted.

The worst part about the Warriors winning is that now I can't have an opinion without being a "homer" or a "hater". It used to be that dialogue had merit independent of accusations.

Sports, in general, are only going to become more popular.
    The whole ‘super teams ruin the NBA’ is a dumb punchline that falls on deaf ears because this WCF series is what we knew/wanted/and will get. Blame juggernauts all you want, but the Warriors/Rockets/Cavs/other dreadnoughts increase viewership because all those ‘haters’ root against them and thus viewership argument goes nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post

The fanatics though have been talking about how people were going to stop watching because the outcome was a foregone conclusion. The reality is that the majority of people watching just want a show for the game they are watching, and the casual fans like the newer style of play that is spreading around the league.
    I guess I haven't heard much about people not watching in an overall sense (although for sure have forgone conclusion/gap in league and personally just tuning out more often). The casual fans tend to tune in more for talent/superstars so an insane team like this can be good for ratings and lame for people who usually watch the game either way type of thing (Twolves recently had this happen on a local level, see our forum for tons of complaints from long time followers despite seeing much hype from newer fans).

In a general sense though like I said in that initial post I agree the game is going to be/stay popular. People like todays open game and it doesn't have quite the same concerns as nfl etc

Quote Originally Posted by CityofTreez View Post
    Sports, in general, are only going to become more popular.
    The whole ‘super teams ruin the NBA’ is a dumb punchline that falls on deaf ears because this WCF series is what we knew/wanted/and will get. Blame juggernauts all you want, but the Warriors/Rockets/Cavs/other dreadnoughts increase viewership because all those ‘haters’ root against them and thus viewership argument goes nowhere.
    I don't know that sports are going to become more popular with cable subscription rates dropping year after year.

Agree with this.

Assuming this stat in the OP is relating to regular season games, new era style basketball brings viewership because of the excitement it brings so not too surprising. I couldn't watch regular season Heat games like 5-6 years ago because of how boring and uninteresting they were and that was during the big 3 era.

FWIW It's a league that lacks in parity and even integrity to an extent. Could use a lot of cap tightening and perhaps a hard cap to really put a clamp on superteams and increase the spread of parity to franchises that have long suffered.

Casual fans don't know any better. It's us more serious fans who have been watching for years and decades that might not like it. NBA's done a great job marketing via social media and their superstar players gain more traction than any other sport outside soccer. Silver's been an amazing commissioner, honestly. Props to that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't have a favorite team, but there are a lot of players that I like to watch. So I usually tune in for games of those players.

I've been watching more than I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Agree with this.

Assuming this stat in the OP is relating to regular season games, new era style basketball brings viewership because of the excitement it brings so not too surprising. I couldn't watch regular season Heat games like 5-6 years ago because of how boring and uninteresting they were and that was during the big 3 era.

FWIW It's a league that lacks in parity and even integrity to an extent. Could use a lot of cap tightening and perhaps a hard cap to really put a clamp on superteams and increase the spread of parity to franchises that have long suffered.
    Actually, I think getting rid of the cap is what would balance out the leagues talent.

If LeBron was making $80 million a year, that team isn't going to also be able to sign top tiered talent around him.

Even if some guys are willing to take a discount, it won't be much, and the union would fight against players taking discounts.

Baseball is capless, and that's why the talent is so spread out in the league. Every players chases top dollars, and it spreads the talent out.

The Warriors would be running a $300ish million dollar payroll to keep those four key players together, who would be each making 40-60M a year. And they can't afford a $300M payroll, so the team wouldn't be like they are.

The Knicks and Lakers have the most revenue (estimated at around $350M, with Warriors just behind them at $300M - according to Forbes).

Teams could support about 50% of their revenue into payroll.

Sure, LeBron would probably be on the Lakers, and they'd likely have a few other good players there. But stars wouldn't be taking discounts to play in one town any longer, and the union wouldn't let it happen just like they didn't let A-Rod renegotiate his contract to go to the Red Sox or let players take discounts to go to different places. They always expect players to get their max money available.

Get rid of the complicated cap, increase the parity across the league.

This is where lack of parity in the NBA is a huge advantage. In the NBA (unlike the NFL), you have storylines that last over multiple seasons. Becoming a dynasty like Golden State creates a villian, and a rooting interest for everyone. The NBA plays out like one continuous story. In the NFL, its one season fought til the end, and then basically a restart button is hit and things are typically entirely different the following season - generally no repeats, no recent dynasties (other than NE). It plays out more like a limited series. I have always preferred the NBA style
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

even internationally, there are domestic leagues popping up almost everywhere. i think the league is probably growing bigger worldwide as well.

Sixers being must watch : )

They've done good job making the league womanly or marketing to different demographics depending on your take

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

As PT Barnum said,there's one born every minute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast