Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Also, I lolled at that Lowry article.

Quote Originally Posted by pulzar View Post
    I disagree. If that new voice was Popovic, or Stevens, I am pretty sure we don't get swept. The gameplan would've been better, plays would've been better, there would've been ongoing adjustments to the plan that are better than "don't start the player who sucked the most in the previous game".

The coach's role is more than just selecting a lineup. All those other things he does have an enormous influence on the outcome. Changing the figure that exerts the influence will absolutely affect the outcome.

(That all being said, I don't expect this to be the only move. But it's a big move all by itself already.)
    It doesn’t change the outcome of the series. The roster is the limitation. Not the coach. I don’t disagree that Pops or Stevens could help, but not that much and neither are available.

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz View Post
    Why not Mike Budenholzer?
    Serious? Or kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by TO Rapz:32340792
    Why not Mike Budenholzer?
    He's my choice.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    It doesn’t change the outcome of the series. The roster is the limitation. Not the coach. I don’t disagree that Pops or Stevens could help, but not that much and neither are available.

Serious? Or kidding?
    Why would I be joking?

If you ask me, theres no purpose of having an average coach or one that's just above average. Its the same rationale with max contracts in the NBA. Each team has 2-3 max slots available to hand out to players, and the usage of those max slots dictates how elite you are in the NBA. You can use 20-25M to pay players like Kanter and Otto Porter or you can use it on truly elite talents in spite of inflation. (I'm not saying Kanter or Otto are bad players).

If I'm hiring a head coach, I want one that has the potential to be an elite head coach with incredible in game management and an elite tactician. Mike Budenholzer spent 18 years as Pops assistant and did an incredible job with that Hawks team. Based on other forums, every Hawks fan said it was insane to fire coach Bud, it was the roster. Hes a firm believer of up tempto, spacing and shooting - aka he fits with the modern basketball and his schemes are meant for the current NBA. Its not even close for me that hes the best coach available.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    He's my choice.
    Why would I be joking?
    re: Budenholzer

Coach who led his franchise to unparalleled regular season success without an "A-list star," only to get consecutively swept by LeBron in the playoffs and have things fall apart as a result. Sounds familiar.

I've liked him as coach, but if that is the vision, I really don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer:32340959

re: Budenholzer

Coach who led his franchise to unparalleled regular season success without an "A-list star," only to get consecutively swept by LeBron in the playoffs and have things fall apart as a result. Sounds familiar.

I've liked him as coach, but if that is the vision, I really don't see the point.
    He's an excellent in game manager and is as good as they come in regards to xs and os. He's easily the best candidate available.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

He's an excellent in game manager and is as good as they come in regards to xs and os. He's easily the best candidate available.
    He has strengths where Casey had weaknesses is what I'm hearing. I don't totally disagree with that.
    But there is always another side to the coin. What are the weaknesses he had that caused him to have the same fate repeatedly against LeBron with a 60 win team?

I bet there are organizations that look at Casey as the best candidate available.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 05-11-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer:32341009
    He has strengths where Casey had weaknesses is what I'm hearing. I don't totally disagree with that.
    But there is always another side to the coin. What are the weaknesses he had that caused him to have the same fate repeatedly against LeBron with a 60 win team?

I bet there are organizations that look at Casey as the best candidate available.
    Well that just comes down to talent and that will continue to be the case.
    Last edited by aman_13; 05-11-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Well that just comes down to talent and that will continue to be the case.
    I absolutely agree with that - but it brings me to the question - what is the point of firing the coach then? Especially if the "best candidate available" is someone who has had as comparable resume as you can find to the guy you just fired?

If they see something in Stackhouse, or believe someone liked Hammon is an inspired choice to move the franchise forward, then I can make sense of it. But even though I like Budenholzer, he doesn't exactly represent any change of hope for a group that just isn't talented enough.

Just saw this, thought I'd share. I'm sure many have already seen it.

From Eric Smith:

Masai Ujiri confirmed today that Nick Nurse, Rex Kalamian & Jerry Stackhouse will get consideration for the now-vacant head coaching job with the Raptors. Mike Budenholzer a top candidate too. And, personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Becky Hammon interviewed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer:32341061
    I absolutely agree with that - but it brings me to the question - what is the point of firing the coach then? Especially if the "best candidate available" is someone who has had as comparable resume as you can find to the guy you just fired?

If they see something in Stackhouse, or believe someone liked Hammon is an inspired choice to move the franchise forward, then I can make sense of it. But even though I like Budenholzer, he doesn't exactly represent any change of hope for a group that just isn't talented enough.
    I hear ya but would you not elect to go with experience over the unknown, considering how small the window is? Stackhouse also ran the same offense the Raptors did.

I hear ya but would you not elect to go with experience over the unknown, considering how small the window is? Stackhouse also ran the same offense the Raptors did.
    Budenholzer is a fine choice, but doesn't exactly move the needle in any way from what we had. For me it is going from good, reputable coach to good reputable coach. They both have things that have made them successful. Some of Budenholzer's strength might be needs for this team, but I haven't seen enough of him to know his weaknesses. Given his familiar fate to Casey, I'd expect we'd come to see them eventually. (Which isn't to say coaches can't grow or develop, but if that is the case, you'd have to believe that about the guy we just fired ).

The unknown at least gives hope for more. Stackhouse has been incredibly successful with our young players. There is some familiarity and continuity with a choice like that. He is also his own person and can make his own stamp. We know he does well with what has already worked here. Maybe he is able to fill a void with what hasn't worked too? Hammon is more of a reputation and buzz hire. She'll get a chance somewhere, sometime for sure. If she is worth the hype, and the hiring window fits with where we are at, I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity.

Mike Budenholzer spent 18 years as Pops assistant and did an incredible job with that Hawks team. Based on other forums, every Hawks fan said it was insane to fire coach Bud, it was the roster.
    I'm not looking to pick a fight but you will find most tv and radio personalities are saying the exact same thing here.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

I wish b2b and gwrighter were still around to hear how they are feeling today

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast