Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The State of the NBA since MJ left the Bulls 20yrs ago

For anyone who has been following basketball since MJ was with the Bulls, how do you feel about how the NBA has become today? do you like it more? less? what do you miss? thoughts?

Personally I miss the physicality of the NBA back from the 90's/00's, today's NBA is full of cry babies and refs calling fouls for no reason.

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    For anyone who has been following basketball since MJ was with the Bulls, how do you feel about how the NBA has become today? do you like it more? less? what do you miss? thoughts?

Personally I miss the physicality of the NBA back from the 90's/00's, today's NBA is full of cry babies and refs calling fouls for no reason.

The NBA has never been better.

I rather not watch bully ball of the 90s when teams scored 70 points. it got so bad the moved the 3 point line a few feet closer so teams could score more. lol.

90’s/00 all day over this mini man 3ball nonsense.

I miss the 1v1 play, back then having 1 star truly made a difference, its just the NBA began spamming the **** out of isolation basketball even though they lacked the skillset of an MJ/Hakeem or the talent of Shaq/Drob. I also think they got rid of illegal defense to shift the game more to the perimeter and then completely away from the average bigman altogether by removing HC completely.

I think you guys overstate the physicality, plenty of touch calls happened back then and how physical can you really be when you have to respect the outside shooting ability of a Dennis Rodman back in those days.

They softened up the rules every decade since the 70's but the positioning of players is what really stifled the 1v1 player, not this physicality bs. Guys like Kobe and Bron never gave a **** about the player in front of them, they were always on look out for guys behind the initial rotation, which is why having a complete offensive game (passing+scoring) is more important than having an arsenal of scoring tricks for todays swings. On the flipside, if you're simply an explosive guard, you dont need any sort of tricks to get past the initial defender, that said, I dont think the game is drastically different towards where a guy like Curry becomes his father in the 90's, his presence prolly sparks the evolution faster.

i love defense and in todays game there just isnt enough of it... there will never be a pistons team to upset a lakers team in todays NBA because of the 3. The game is bigger and much much more complex and players are just better now than before while the game is faster.. I love it more now but i miss defense and teams living by the 3 is quite annoying.

Also there isnt a system in todays game where its fixed for teams like the lakers or bulls or so on etc etc.

This is why MJ will always be the greatest NBA player ever and no one will ever take that title from him because he won 2 3peats in the 90's where there were great defensive teams and great big men. I do feel like history will repeat itself at some point. Today's game reminds me of the 80's with teams trying to be like the Showtime era but teams will start to catch onto that and try to counter those teams by focusing more on defense. I feel like the Celtics and Jazz could be one of those defensive minded teams to come. Teams like GSW/HOU/CLE will fade IMO. Basketball is always evolving so i do see it going back to a more evenly balanced sport where half the teams focus on defense and the other half will focus on running it.

It used to be basketball, now it's something else. But I'll move this to 2004, 2005, not directly when MJ left. It was already becoming 'easier' in the late 90s but they put a halt to it, then decided to remove the handbrake altogether and the result is this guard driving frenzy and in game three point shooting contest.

I'd put more blame to the rise of Allen Iverson and Vince Carter (not their fault, they were great during their time) because that's what fans wanted to see. So the NBA decides to go towards that direction and instead of merit talent of that calibre, they dumbed down the game so that everyone could be AI or VC. Then they started shooting from everywhere after 8-10 seconds. The NBA clearly wanted a new face since Larry Bird and Magic retired and Jordan's run came to an end and they did everything in their power to maximize that cash cow by inventing new superstars and giving them too many in game perks like forgetting what basketball rules are when it comes to them.
    Last edited by NYKalltheway; 05-11-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i love defense and in todays game there just isnt enough of it... there will never be a pistons team to upset a lakers team in todays NBA because of the 3. The game is bigger and much much more complex and players are just better now than before while the game is faster.. I love it more now but i miss defense and teams living by the 3 is quite annoying.

Also there isnt a system in todays game where its fixed for teams like the lakers or bulls or so on etc etc.
    Ditto, I used to love watching those defensive battles where a team would win 85-81 or something like that. I remember when a team scoring 100 points in a game was seldom... Nowadays, you can play great defense in a game, but still end up giving up 100+ points regularly with the increase in range (teams usually now have at least one guy camped out to shoot 3s) and the increased frequency for refs to call fouls on jump shooters. It's used to be a brutal mistake to foul a 3 point shooter; now it's basically given that there will be 2 or 3 of those in a game

You also can't be too tough in the paint without drawing a technical or flagrant. Teams used to be rugged in the post. Do that today and someone's getting ejected.

But I guess it is what it is. The game has evolved into what it is today, and there are also many amazing things today on the court (at least with some of the offensive outputs)... but in those rare instances where we have a very low scoring game and neither team is giving on on the defensive end, I just sit back and enjoy what I grew up watching
    Last edited by Cal827; 05-11-2018 at 04:08 AM.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

Nba today sucks. I don't know how anyone who watched both eras could think otherwise, and I was young during the 90s. I feel like the young kids today think today's game is so great cuz they don't know any better, but boy does it suck balls compared to the 90s and early 2000s

More highlights, less competition

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

It's a higher quality game with more versatile, talented players across the board now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

its more complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    It's a higher quality game with more versatile, talented players across the board now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    This. There’s more talent now then there’s ever been.
    RIP lol, please!

8/1/2011 - 01/28/2018

You may not be with us anymore but your name, legacy, and what you stood for will last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by WaDe03 View Post
    This. There’s more talent now then there’s ever been.
    Disagreed, and even if that was the case, the talent are on like 5 teams in the league. That's awful for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    Disagreed, and even if that was the case, the talent are on like 5 teams in the league. That's awful for the league.
    Top to bottom there’s more talent not just the top. Players are more skilled and better physically now than ever.
    RIP lol, please!

8/1/2011 - 01/28/2018

You may not be with us anymore but your name, legacy, and what you stood for will last forever!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast