Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer most as your franchise QB moving forward?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carson Wentz

16 48.48%
  • Jared Goff

2 6.06%
  • Deshaun Watson

1 3.03%
  • Jimmy Garappolo

6 18.18%
  • Dak Prescott

1 3.03%
  • Baker Mayfield

1 3.03%
  • Sam Darnold

1 3.03%
  • Josh Allen

0 0%
  • Josh Rosen

1 3.03%
  • Lamar Jackson

0 0%
  • Patrick Mahomes

0 0%
  • Mitch Trubisky

1 3.03%
  • Marcus Mariota

1 3.03%
  • Jameis Winston

1 3.03%
  • Other

1 3.03%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by OREcoast49er View Post
    You doubt our savior ?
    no, just Jimmy
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I would tab Watson because of the money so that I have room to build under the cap and then pray his health is not fragile.

Either Wentz or Jimmy G. These 2 are absolute studs. I’d have Watson in there but his legs are noodles and he’ll be out of the league within the next 5 years with that playing style. On talent alone that kid is a beast though.

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    no, just Jimmy
    Jimmy is our savior

Jimmy is our savior
    Well, you guys sure payed him like he's your savior after those 7 career starts. Too bad Rg3 couldn't negotiate a similar contract after 7 starts, he'd be set.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Well, you guys sure payed him like he's your savior after those 7 career starts. Too bad Rg3 couldn't negotiate a similar contract after 7 starts, he'd be set.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    RG3 would’ve just been released after a couple years if his contract was structured like Jimmys.

Where are the comparisons to the non RO QBs? All those types faded fast. Very stupid to compare a pocket QB with two RO QBs.

The beauty of his massive contract, we still have a grip load of cap and it’s frinr loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    3rd and 4th down splits

Kaepernick, 2016: 95 pass. for 32 1stD, 4 TD (0% Int, 20.0% sack); 17 rush. for 13 1stD, 2 TD;
    = total conv. rate: 47.3%
    Garoppolo, 2017: 54 pass. for 29 1stD, 4 TD (3.7% Int, 5.6% sack); 6 rush. for 2 1stD;
    = total conv. rate: 58.3%

It's possible to go into more detail, but I ignore passer rating on these splits because it only ends up rewarding QBs who throw short of the sticks. (By increasing comp% and Y/A, 2 of the 4 numbers that go into passer rating. Yet these are pretty much meaningless if you don't convert, and defenses even invite you to make those throws.)

One other interesting metric though: Garoppolo took a sack on 5.6% of these pass attempts, compared to Kaepernick's 20%. Getting sacked in those situations is obviously not good for the subsequent special teams play.

For the sake of comparison...

Wentz, 2017: 133 pass. for 67 1stD, 16 TD (2.3% Int, 6.0% sack); 27 rush. for 20 1stD;
    = total conv. rate: 64.4%!!!

I try not to sound like a homer, but just to emphasize how good of a rate this is, the Vikings last season set the new record* for 3rd down defense, allowing a conversion rate of 25.2%. The usual season has teams fall between 30 and 45%. (* Since this stat has been tracked, i.e. 2000.)
    All that just to say that Jimmy G was better on 3rd downs? It's a good trait of course, but it doesn't mean he's the better QB. The same way pointing out that Kap is the better runner and protected the ball better doesn't automatically make him the better QB.

My argument is that it's crazy that people are treating these two QBs with such similar stats as if they are miles apart. They are not.

Are you implying that Jimmy will fall apart too?
    I don't expect a complete collapse, but I do expect him to take a lot of heat for his play next year. He won't come close to living up to that contract. I'm estimating he'll look pretty similar to how he has already looked. Without that win total to hide behind fans will turn on him.

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonHawke View Post
    All that just to say that Jimmy G was better on 3rd downs?
    You asked for it; quote:

"I actually wonder what their third down numbers are when you take into account Colin's rushing."

So I guess I shouldn't have done "all that", if the outcome is that Kap's running didn't make much of a difference?

It's a good trait of course, but it doesn't mean he's the better QB. The same way pointing out that Kap is the better runner and protected the ball better doesn't automatically make him the better QB.

My argument is that it's crazy that people are treating these two QBs with such similar stats as if they are miles apart. They are not.
    Converting 3rd or 4th down is pretty important, because giving up possession of the ball is bad. On average a team gets 11.5 drives per game, with the average number of offensive TDs at 2.1 per game, and the average number of made FGs at 1.7 (attempted: 2.0). That's not a very high ratio of what can be deemed successful drives, so teams better make the most out of their limited opportunities. Doug Pederson's unwilligness to give up possession of the ball (and the offense actually converting 4th downs) was a big factor in the Eagles' Super Bowl winning the Super Bowl.

At a certain number of yards to go the odds turn against the QB, too. Pretty much every QB can rack up yards and boost his passer rating with shorter passes on 1st and 2nd down. Take Eli Manning for example, he had a passer rating of about 90 on 2nd down, and about 70 on 3rd down. Of course he isn't to blame for that alone, the entire offense is, but it still shows the increase of difficulty on 3rd down.

On 3rd or 4th down, with 8+ yards to go, Carson Wentz had a passer rating of 133.0; Jared Goff in the same situations had one of 78.7. Number of attempts are 58 and 72 respectively. Over the season, any situation Goff had a passer rating of 100.5, and Wentz 101.9.

(All numbers 2017 season.)
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 05-16-2018 at 01:20 PM.

All that just to say that Jimmy G was better on 3rd downs? It's a good trait of course, but it doesn't mean he's the better QB. The same way pointing out that Kap is the better runner and protected the ball better doesn't automatically make him the better QB.

I don't expect a complete collapse, but I do expect him to take a lot of heat for his play next year. He won't come close to living up to that contract. I'm estimating he'll look pretty similar to how he has already looked. Without that win total to hide behind fans will turn on him.
    Well I hope he gets off to a fast start to that crappy season week 1 in Minnesota lmfaoo. But in all honesty I really don’t see him falling off at all, especially with some added talent around him. I actually put some money on them to win the NFC West this year. I think Jared Goff and the Rams are going to be the team in the NFC that disappoints this year, not the 49ers. Goff’s game has a lot of holes and they played a cookie schedule last year. Their defensive personnel had a lot of turnover in the offseason and has a lot of “me” guys on that unit. McVay was a first year head coach and teams will have a lot of film on their scheme this year. If you can stop the run, you can beat the Rams. I can see things going south for them but for all I know they’ll win the superbowl this year lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    Well I hope he gets off to a fast start to that crappy season week 1 in Minnesota lmfaoo. But in all honesty I really don’t see him falling off at all, especially with some added talent around him. I actually put some money on them to win the NFC West this year. I think Jared Goff and the Rams are going to be the team in the NFC that disappoints this year, not the 49ers. Goff’s game has a lot of holes and they played a cookie schedule last year. Their defensive personnel had a lot of turnover in the offseason and has a lot of “me” guys on that unit. McVay was a first year head coach and teams will have a lot of film on their scheme this year. If you can stop the run, you can beat the Rams. I can see things going south for them but for all I know they’ll win the superbowl this year lol.
    I honestly don't see it. I expect some decline from teams analyzing McVay's scheme and Goff's tendencies, but they added a lot of talent. That along with Goff possibly developing further should keep them at least at their current level. Unlike last season they also probably won't have the heebie-jeebies if they make the playoffs again.

What a team needs to do is stop Gurley, not merely the run. The only way I see the Rams disappoint is if he misses significant time.

I don't expect much of a problem from them having too many personalities or whatever, because a lot of them will be playing to earn a big paycheck, too. (Donald, Suh, Joyner, Cooks, among others.) What's certain though is that they won't keep all the talent together for 2019. But they should still be pretty good with Goff making peanuts.

Mahomes ❤️

If he looks similar to how he has looked, like you say, he will have most definitely earned his pay.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456