Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    yeah we have a little cap space, but we have give up exums and favors bird rights. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost favors or let him go, but I think the Jazz will try their hardest to keep Exum with a cheap deal.

Even though we don't have much cap space, I think the Jazz are willing to go above the salary cap if they think we are a contender. So we could resign both Exum and Favors and then trade Burks and our non-guarenteed contracts (but we have to guarentee them first). That would allow us to take someone back of roughly 20 million range. Then we would be over the salary cap but would have our mid-level exemption. So though we may not seem to have much cap space, we can still do some things.

That would be awesome if we can keep our team intact and trade Burks and the non guarantees after they are guaranteed to get a good player plus a mid level exception. What players are out there right now that are on teams looking to blow up though? Would that leave us with cap space for a FA next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Cptgrnlngs22 View Post
    That would be awesome if we can keep our team intact and trade Burks and the non guarantees after they are guaranteed to get a good player plus a mid level exception. What players are out there right now that are on teams looking to blow up though? Would that leave us with cap space for a FA next year?
    Charlotte, Orlando, and Toronto are a few teams looking to move some of their larger contracts.

Fournier is a good player on a bad contract, so maybe we can acquire a player like that and get some assets in doing so.

Batum is a good player on a bad contract, so him with some assets could make some sense.

Normal Powell of Toronto they want to move on from.

So all of these deals would take our cap space for next year. So if we do make a move like this, we are doing it because we don't think we will be players in free agency next year. If we want to be players next year, then we will not make any big trades.

I have doubts about us being able to attract the big free agents, so I like the idea of trading for a player on getting more assets.

How would people feel if the jazz were to package together two starters in Ingles and Rubio to go after a star replacement for one of them and shifting either crowder or Exum up to start? Too much? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cptgrnlngs22 View Post
    How would people feel if the jazz were to package together two starters in Ingles and Rubio to go after a star replacement for one of them and shifting either crowder or Exum up to start? Too much? Lol
    like who? not sure who those two get.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    like who? not sure who those two get.
    In addition, I think you have to be careful thinking that a "star" automatically means better. OKC had the star power vs the Jazz in the playoffs this year and the Jazz won.

So I have not heard this on a podcast or anything, but it seems to me like teams who are able to switch everything are making it more difficult on star players to be as dominant. For example, this was not a good playoff for Harden and I think it is because teams were switching on him, so he wasn't getting the separation that he is used to. The NBA has been a star driven league for years, but I think the changes in defenses are starting to slow that down... just a little bit. It is still a true statement, but I don't think it is as much of a given as years past that getting a star player automatically means you win more playoff games.

So we just picked up Isaac Haas (Perdue's bigman) for the summer league. I really liked this guy on Perdue and thought he played great. I hope we can teach him some defense. He has a motor that doesn't quit, but I don't think he was coached very well on that team.

Maybe an option for a two way player then? I heard we sold our 2nd round draft pick because we didn't think we would have any roster slots. Not sure if we will keep last year's two way players or not. That is still so new, I am not sure how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    So we just picked up Isaac Haas (Perdue's bigman) for the summer league. I really liked this guy on Perdue and thought he played great. I hope we can teach him some defense. He has a motor that doesn't quit, but I don't think he was coached very well on that team.

we get 2 separate 2-way's a year. I don't know the context of that either. I'll have to look it up. But Haas was real good, but got an elbow injury in the NCAA tournament. So I honestly think he's undervalued currently. Like I said, I really liked the guy, he's a project, but I think he has potential.

Also, I learned today that Allen performed second highest all-time in the 100 three point shootout that the Jazz do for players when they are doing try-outs.

What they do is make them run a bunch and at the very end of the work-out they have them run to a bunch of different spots to shoot three's, and see how many they can make when they are dog-tired.

Allen made 66-100. The highest ever recorded was 70. So the kid can shoot for sure. I like how people are acting like we are trying to imitate Houston. We're nothing like Houston!! We pass the ball way more often, we have a high activity offense that works to get the most open man a shot. Just because we pick up 1 guy that can shoot 3's, suddenly we're trying to imitate another team...

Any idea who the player was that shot 70? Would be interesting to know how they turned out as a shooter.

Maybe what we got is a more athletic JJ Reddick? I am surprised I haven't been hearing that comp more, especially given the same size, same school, same position, etc. Reddick was a little better shooter, Allen is a bit more athletic. Has Become a very valuable weakside player in the NBA. Reddick paired with Chris Paul was a good combo. Reddick paired with Simmons.

Donavan is pretty effective as the on-ball player, so if Allen can be as an effective offball SG as Reddick... that will be pretty valuable for us. If Allen can be a better defender than Reddick, which I think he can and will... then that will be a steal at 21.

So I am starting to become more optimistic about the pick as I do more research and hear more things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefistus View Post
    we get 2 separate 2-way's a year. I don't know the context of that either. I'll have to look it up. But Haas was real good, but got an elbow injury in the NCAA tournament. So I honestly think he's undervalued currently. Like I said, I really liked the guy, he's a project, but I think he has potential.

Also, I learned today that Allen performed second highest all-time in the 100 three point shootout that the Jazz do for players when they are doing try-outs.

What they do is make them run a bunch and at the very end of the work-out they have them run to a bunch of different spots to shoot three's, and see how many they can make when they are dog-tired.

Allen made 66-100. The highest ever recorded was 70. So the kid can shoot for sure. I like how people are acting like we are trying to imitate Houston. We're nothing like Houston!! We pass the ball way more often, we have a high activity offense that works to get the most open man a shot. Just because we pick up 1 guy that can shoot 3's, suddenly we're trying to imitate another team...

You guys think Niang has a chance to get any playing time this year? He tore up the d-league last year. Plays the stretch 4 position. Not sure how much more he is going to grow in the d-league, so seems like we either give him a shot or move on. I like his game. Excellent 3 point shooter. Active defender. He is the same age as Royce Oneale, so not a rookie, but just entering his prime.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456