Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is a list of teams that will have more cap space than us.

LA Lakers
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Dallas
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    LA Clippers
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    New York

These are bad teams with the exception of Phily, and Indiana is OK in the pathetic East but they would miss the playoffs in the West. I don't see any of these teams going after Favors. Most of these teams are rebuilding and looking to go young. In contrast I can see several of these teams consider Exum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Here is a list of teams that will have more cap space than us.

LA Lakers
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Dallas
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    LA Clippers
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    New York

These are bad teams with the exception of Phily, and Indiana is OK in the pathetic East but they would miss the playoffs in the West. I don't see any of these teams going after Favors. Most of these teams are rebuilding and looking to go young. In contrast I can see several of these teams consider Exum.
    I would doubt that Favors would leave the Jazz for a backup job and I doubt that a team would give big money for someone who is a backup. Out of that list, the only teams in the market for a starting center would be....

Lakers (but saving money for all-stars)
    Kings (if they give up on their young guys)
    Mavs (heard they want Cousins)
    Bulls
    Hawks
    Clippers (want Jordan back)
    Sunds (heard they want Capella)

Bulls and Hawks would be the most likely landing spots.. if he does go anywhere, my guess would be those locations

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    I would doubt that Favors would leave the Jazz for a backup job and I doubt that a team would give big money for someone who is a backup. Out of that list, the only teams in the market for a starting center would be....

Lakers (but saving money for all-stars)
    Kings (if they give up on their young guys)
    Mavs (heard they want Cousins)
    Bulls
    Hawks
    Clippers (want Jordan back)
    Sunds (heard they want Capella)

Bulls and Hawks would be the most likely landing spots.. if he does go anywhere, my guess would be those locations

I would easily argue Favors at age 27 would take less money to stay with us rather than play for the dumpster fire called the Hawks or Bulls. Those teams are 3 years away from anything, basically wasting Favors prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I would easily argue Favors at age 27 would take less money to stay with us rather than play for the dumpster fire called the Hawks or Bulls. Those teams are 3 years away from anything, basically wasting Favors prime.
    Hawks are horrible and I think they will be next year as well. Bulls are a bit closer to relevance IMO. Also, Atlanta is Favor's home town, so that may still entice him if he thinks he can help turnaround his home team.

If Favor's does return, I think we still bring in a stretch 4, but it may be someone young to develop or someone who would only be a part time player. Basically, the Jazz would be filling the position by committee.

On the surface, that may feel like a bad thing because you don't have THE guy, so you have to play multiple guys. However, the nice thing about it is that it can provide flexibility of styles. We can choose to play big or small, based on the opponent or the situation. There are times that the Favors / Gobert combo looked REALLY good. They would put Favors at the high post and Gobert at low post. If the opposing team only has one true big on the floor, that puts alot of pressure on him to try to defend both... helps us get that person in foul trouble. Where this would break down was not Favors... but Gobert. Teams were getting away with defending Gobert with the smaller player and putting their center on Favors. Did you see how many times Harden was matched up with Gobert in the post and we couldn't take advantage? Gobert HAS to learn to be a low post threat. If he has a smaller player, they need to be able to throw it in to him and let him take that player 1 on 1. Favors is one of the best in the NBA at finishing around the room, if Gobert can get to that point... that high post low post offense will be really dangerous. They are both good passers so I don't think 1 big man can stop them... forcing opposing teams to either foul and have to play another big.

So to improve from this year, we need a better stretch 4 when we want to go small... and we need Gobert to be able to score on smaller players. There are alot of teams going to small ball, so we need to keep up with that... but what could seperate us is having the ability to go big because everyone's teams are only structured to play small.

Bates-Diop looks to be mocked to the Jazz in many drafts and after reading on him, looks like it would make alot of sense. A 3/4 who can shoot and defend multiple positions. A bit older than other prospects, so projects to be able to transition to NBA pretty quickly, but has a limited ceiling. I personally feel the Jazz system can allow players like this to be better than what their measurables dictate. Jazz play team defense and team offense, so you need unselfish people who are flexible and Bates-Diop fits that description perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12