Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Here is a list of teams that will have more cap space than us.

LA Lakers
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Dallas
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    LA Clippers
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    New York

These are bad teams with the exception of Phily, and Indiana is OK in the pathetic East but they would miss the playoffs in the West. I don't see any of these teams going after Favors. Most of these teams are rebuilding and looking to go young. In contrast I can see several of these teams consider Exum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Here is a list of teams that will have more cap space than us.

LA Lakers
    Indiana
    Sacramento
    Dallas
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    LA Clippers
    Philadelphia
    Phoenix
    New York

These are bad teams with the exception of Phily, and Indiana is OK in the pathetic East but they would miss the playoffs in the West. I don't see any of these teams going after Favors. Most of these teams are rebuilding and looking to go young. In contrast I can see several of these teams consider Exum.
    I would doubt that Favors would leave the Jazz for a backup job and I doubt that a team would give big money for someone who is a backup. Out of that list, the only teams in the market for a starting center would be....

Lakers (but saving money for all-stars)
    Kings (if they give up on their young guys)
    Mavs (heard they want Cousins)
    Bulls
    Hawks
    Clippers (want Jordan back)
    Sunds (heard they want Capella)

Bulls and Hawks would be the most likely landing spots.. if he does go anywhere, my guess would be those locations

Quote Originally Posted by Raupie View Post
    I would doubt that Favors would leave the Jazz for a backup job and I doubt that a team would give big money for someone who is a backup. Out of that list, the only teams in the market for a starting center would be....

Lakers (but saving money for all-stars)
    Kings (if they give up on their young guys)
    Mavs (heard they want Cousins)
    Bulls
    Hawks
    Clippers (want Jordan back)
    Sunds (heard they want Capella)

Bulls and Hawks would be the most likely landing spots.. if he does go anywhere, my guess would be those locations

I would easily argue Favors at age 27 would take less money to stay with us rather than play for the dumpster fire called the Hawks or Bulls. Those teams are 3 years away from anything, basically wasting Favors prime.

I would easily argue Favors at age 27 would take less money to stay with us rather than play for the dumpster fire called the Hawks or Bulls. Those teams are 3 years away from anything, basically wasting Favors prime.
    Hawks are horrible and I think they will be next year as well. Bulls are a bit closer to relevance IMO. Also, Atlanta is Favor's home town, so that may still entice him if he thinks he can help turnaround his home team.

If Favor's does return, I think we still bring in a stretch 4, but it may be someone young to develop or someone who would only be a part time player. Basically, the Jazz would be filling the position by committee.

On the surface, that may feel like a bad thing because you don't have THE guy, so you have to play multiple guys. However, the nice thing about it is that it can provide flexibility of styles. We can choose to play big or small, based on the opponent or the situation. There are times that the Favors / Gobert combo looked REALLY good. They would put Favors at the high post and Gobert at low post. If the opposing team only has one true big on the floor, that puts alot of pressure on him to try to defend both... helps us get that person in foul trouble. Where this would break down was not Favors... but Gobert. Teams were getting away with defending Gobert with the smaller player and putting their center on Favors. Did you see how many times Harden was matched up with Gobert in the post and we couldn't take advantage? Gobert HAS to learn to be a low post threat. If he has a smaller player, they need to be able to throw it in to him and let him take that player 1 on 1. Favors is one of the best in the NBA at finishing around the room, if Gobert can get to that point... that high post low post offense will be really dangerous. They are both good passers so I don't think 1 big man can stop them... forcing opposing teams to either foul and have to play another big.

So to improve from this year, we need a better stretch 4 when we want to go small... and we need Gobert to be able to score on smaller players. There are alot of teams going to small ball, so we need to keep up with that... but what could seperate us is having the ability to go big because everyone's teams are only structured to play small.

Bates-Diop looks to be mocked to the Jazz in many drafts and after reading on him, looks like it would make alot of sense. A 3/4 who can shoot and defend multiple positions. A bit older than other prospects, so projects to be able to transition to NBA pretty quickly, but has a limited ceiling. I personally feel the Jazz system can allow players like this to be better than what their measurables dictate. Jazz play team defense and team offense, so you need unselfish people who are flexible and Bates-Diop fits that description perfectly.

for us to be better this year, we need gobert healthy and not miss 1/3 of the season. and we need bradley to step up in a huge way or get a quality back-up big. i really like udoh, but his game is best served as defensive stopper in small doses and not the main guy when gobert goes down. we need bradley to really make a huge leap, or ditch him for someone who can put in great minutes in gobert's absence. we also need a stretch 4, but we have that in jerebko. he just doesn't get much playing time. not sure if we can afford a better jerebko unless we un-noose ourselves from that burks contract.

other than a good back-up center, stretch 4 (again, we might keep jerebko for that), and a bench wing to pair with crowder, we shouldn't do much apart from hoping that the basketball gods grant us good health.
    HAWKS '13 ,'1 4, & '15 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

"of course tom 'jan' brady would whine about a rule change."
    -chipurmunki

There are some desperate teams out there in need of cap space. So naturally I got a little crazy on the ESPN trade machine. I know these are wild ideas. Just trying to get the conversation going.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9r2wqu5
    Porter has the skill set and age we are looking for. We get him for a deal because his contract is bad. Could work because Mitchell is so cheap.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6wbyv3f
    Why pay luxury tax when Lebron leaves. We throw in our 1st this year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycvams3p
    Lakers clear space for 2 max deals. We throw in our 1st.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y85ajba4
    Rockets do this deal, but do we?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9ev75zf
    Toronto owes a lot of Luxury tax to get swept again.

I was looking at the 2019 list of free agents, and honestly, I'm now hoping that we wait until then with the exception of 2 names. LeBron James or Paul George. Which the odds of us landing those 2 is minuscule.

Here is a list of some players in 2019, I listed player options as well as I'm sure all players will use their player options in order to get paid. I also included restricted free agents in the list. Because you never know if the team is willing to pay the player or not.

Al Horford
    Kyrie Irving
    Dwight Howard
    Kemba Walker
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Kevin Love
    Larry Nance Jr.
    Dwight Powell (who I think would be an awesome backup PF)
    Wilson Chandler
    Klay Thompson
    Patrick Beverly
    Mark Gasol
    Goran Dragic
    Hassan Whiteside
    Justise Winslow
    Eric Bledsoe
    Jeff Teague
    Karl-Anthony Towns
    Jimmy Butler
    Nikola Mirotic
    Carmelo Anthony (I'm sure some stupid team will offer him a ton of money)
    Nikola Vucevic
    Devin Booker
    Kawhi Leonard
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Marcin Gortat
    Kely OubreJr.

I stumbled upon an intriguing idea that's definitely out-of-the-box. What if we already have our stretch 4 in Jingles? If Favors stays, I think we'd be best served by splitting most of the available minutes between Favors and Ingles at the 4. And if he leaves, Ingles can start at the 4.
    Pros:
    His size isn't far off, he's 6'8" 225 lbs. A lot of today's 4s play on the perimeter, rendering their size moot for the most part.
    2. His handles and passing are top notch and counter the defense of longer 4s. As far as stretch goes, he'd be the best shooting 4 in the league.
    3. We have Crowder who weighs more and might guard better spot-up 4s.
    4. Might be easier to add a wing than stretch 4, especially if we plan to play our 1st rounder a lot. Won't need to reach for a stretch big if one doesn't make sense.
    5. We could have a murderous shooting offense.
    Cons:
    1. Lacks a post up game that would be even less effective against bigger defenders. We'd miss his size advantage vs sf and sg defenders.

Just an interesting thought that I'm g going to mull over till draft time. I think it's worth considering if we haven't already.
    Last edited by chipurmunki; 05-23-2018 at 04:01 PM.

-chipurmunki

You must be on reddit, I saw the same thing there as well. I'm not a super fan of this. I think I would rather have a Jabari Parker, or Kevin Love (available next year) on our team as a 4.

I would do the Lakers deal, expiring contracts for Kuzma and Deng. Kuzma is a Utah college product. He would fit our need as a stretch 4. I think Deng actually could get some rotational minutes for us. Defensive minded player who I think would fit our culture. I know it is a horrible contract, but while Kuzma and Mitchell are on rookie deals, we can afford it.

I do not want to trade away Bradley. He was a target by the Jazz for the reason and they gave him a year to develop. So I think he will surprise us this year and be a legit backup center for us.

There are some desperate teams out there in need of cap space. So naturally I got a little crazy on the ESPN trade machine. I know these are wild ideas. Just trying to get the conversation going.

Porter has the skill set and age we are looking for. We get him for a deal because his contract is bad. Could work because Mitchell is so cheap.

I do not want to see Ingles move to the 4. In games he struggles, it is when defenders are physical with him. He is not athletic enough to compete with people his size. He does better when he is able to use his length and smarts to his advantage. He is better suited for the 3. Would rather see him move to a 2 then I would a 4.

Crowder on the other hand, very physical player, I am good with him as a stretch 4. Just dont' like him as a starter.

Not Reddit, the CBS Sports app. Might have linked to Reddit. Crowder instead of Ingles at stretch 4 is also interesting. We might be better served waiting on a flashy free agency and treat moving Burks as our priority.

-chipurmunki

these are the kinds of deals the Jazz should do. the 3 non guaranteed contracts we have might be gold if the right situation comes along where a team needs to clear cap. have to be really careful with a contract like Dengs. it has 2 more years and we don't want to be locked into that without huge compensation.

Jerami Grant is one player I wouldn't mind us going after. He is very athletic. He can play the 4 or the 5. He can protect the rim. Not sure he has ever had a developmental coach who can help him improve his jump shot. Whoever we get needs to be a 2-way player. You can see in the playoffs how much a player who is a liability on one end of the floor can be. However, getting a good 2 way player is hard and expensive. So you try to get a 1 way player that can be developed or get a 2 way player from the draft. Grant is already a defensive force and I think he has the potential to develop into a good enough offensive player.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast